September 17, 2014 | 2080 users online

Mascara - Shiseido - Nourishing Mascara Base

rated 5 of 5 on 9/20/2011 11:17:00 PM More reviews by Faerilyn

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

If I was stranded on a desert island and still have a vanity bag, then this is in it!

Can't say much about the old formula except it was a bit thicker in consistency than this. I prefer it this way though, just because the old formula did sometimes clump but the new formula NEVER clumps. Not even when using on the bottom lashes! :D

Yeah price is high but worth every single penny! "Nourishing" has the awesome ability of making a crappy mascara good, a good mascara awesome, and awesome to amazing! I'm an mascara whore so this has saved me alot of money.

I am Chinese so my lashes are very straight. They aren't too sparse or too short, just stick-straight. So every morning I must curl my lashes for them to show. On most days, I just want to make my eyes look more awake. So I would:

1. Curl the lashes with my Shiseido eyelash curler (skip the Shu Uemura and buy this instead!).

2. Set the curl with "Nourshing" by very lightly, applying some on the top of the top lashes first. And then applying it the "normal way", more on the outer corners than the inner corners.

And you can get away with just that if you use a light hand and don't over-apply. "Nourishing" dries clear for me.

If I have more time, then I also:

3. Coat my lashes with an actual mascara. "Wiggle" the brush. Currently, my HG is Maybelline Full and Soft Waterproof. One coat is enough. A 2nd coat will start looking "Dolly" or like fake lashes. But it's all good since I never feel like the exact same look everyday.

If I have even more time, then I:

4. Put some mascara on the bottom lashes too. I use a separate bottom lash mascara, something for length/definition, nothing thick. Currently I'm in love with Clinique Bottom Lash.

Long post but I hope this helps other girls like me!

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/20/2011 10:10:00 PM More reviews by pixeth

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have been a big fan of the original Shiseido mascara base and was so sad when I found out it was discontinued! My mom picked this up for me one day thinking it was the original so I tried it out and it is AMAZING! I much prefer this formula over the old one. It goes on without as much clumping and it holds my lashes alllllllll day! This base + my Covergirl lashblast volume waterproof (orange tube) has held my lashes curles and smudge proof for 13 hours and counting. Absolutely love love this base!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/8/2011 5:13:00 PM More reviews by izzybella

I was really bummed when Shiseido discontinued the original mascara base. I didn't think I'd like the new version but I bought one anyways because a lot of reviews said it was comparable to the original. I used it a few times and wasn't wowed by it. The nourishing base is thinner but easier to spread on the lashes. It mostly lengthens but I don't think it volumizes as well as the original. My lashes don't hold a curl as well and look kinda limp. I returned it because it was not worth the $23.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/6/2011 6:36:00 PM More reviews by Senikxy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This new formula is great! Goes on smoothly and separates, wish it gave more volume but I just layer more mascara on.. Will buy again and again!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/1/2011 2:39:00 PM More reviews by lmaliski

Like other reviewers have stated, this new formula seems thinner and doesn't thicken my lashes as well as the old base. I have to apply two coats of mascara after this new base, where with the old base I only needed one coat of mascara. On the plus side with this new base, my mascara does seem to come off easier. This is still my HG of mascara bases: I have a tried a few others (including Dior), and this is the best.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 8/22/2011 3:46:00 PM More reviews by erialcrobo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I much prefered the old formula! Nowhere near as good"

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/15/2011 12:34:00 PM More reviews by joy2uandme

I still think this is a great mascara base even though the formula has been changed. In fact I like the new brush better since it applies the base easier and is easier to wield, especially with smaller deep set eyes like mine. Expensive yes but lasts a good long time in the tube and on the lashes, and makes a cheap mascara look high end and helps it last all day for me. In addition I have very sensitive eyes and this is not irritating to me. But their claims about conditioning? I haven't noted any "conditioning" but lashes do feel softer while coated with the primer than with the older formula.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/25/2011 5:36:00 PM More reviews by nikkifreakinnb

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

One of the most underrated products EVER. I've been using Shiseido Mascara Bases since 2006. There are 2 noticeable differences between the first base and the current base:

1) The consistency: the current base has a slightly liquidy consistency. I remember the first base has a thicker, kind of clumpier texture. The current base also takes a little longer to dry. With the older base, I would wait 2 minutes for it to dry before applying mascara, now I have to wait almost 5 minutes. But besides that, it almost seems like the primer performs the same way. It still holds my curl throughout the day and defines each of my sparse lashes. (Making them seem fuller and thicker)

2) The brush: the older brush had a smaller, fatter brush and the current primer has a long, more narrower brush. Personally I prefer the current brush because it reaches the corner of my eyes and coats each of my lashes without having to pull or tug my eye to get the product in there. Also, I think the current brush distributes an even amount of product whereas the previous one would sometimes clump up on its own and then it would take me longer to spread the product out.

Overall, I love the Nourishing Mascara Base. I think it is pricey but definitely worth it. I use this everyday but at the same time, this product lasts me for a very long time. I only apply about 2 coats for each eye. Definitely worth the money.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/24/2011 12:21:00 AM More reviews by szhan

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

Best mascara base I've used! Far superior to its discontinued predecessor.

Pro:
-transparent in color
-keeps curls (esp. for stubborn straight-ass asian lashes)
-provides separation and length

Con:
-pricey to be replaced every few months
-could use a bit more horse power in the volume department

The way I see it: this base will take your not so ordinary mascara to the next level. Yes, it's expensive but you can save by purchasing good quality drug store mascaras!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/20/2011 10:05:00 PM More reviews by angelaychang

This makes my lashes look great. It helps keep the curl and makes my lashes super long. It is the secret to making my lashes look great. It doesn't way my lashes down.