April 21, 2014 | 1811 users online

Mascara - Shiseido - Nourishing Mascara Base

rated 4 of 5 on 9/1/2011 2:39:00 PM More reviews by lmaliski

Like other reviewers have stated, this new formula seems thinner and doesn't thicken my lashes as well as the old base. I have to apply two coats of mascara after this new base, where with the old base I only needed one coat of mascara. On the plus side with this new base, my mascara does seem to come off easier. This is still my HG of mascara bases: I have a tried a few others (including Dior), and this is the best.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 8/22/2011 3:46:00 PM More reviews by erialcrobo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I much prefered the old formula! Nowhere near as good"

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/15/2011 12:34:00 PM More reviews by joy2uandme

I still think this is a great mascara base even though the formula has been changed. In fact I like the new brush better since it applies the base easier and is easier to wield, especially with smaller deep set eyes like mine. Expensive yes but lasts a good long time in the tube and on the lashes, and makes a cheap mascara look high end and helps it last all day for me. In addition I have very sensitive eyes and this is not irritating to me. But their claims about conditioning? I haven't noted any "conditioning" but lashes do feel softer while coated with the primer than with the older formula.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/25/2011 5:36:00 PM More reviews by nikkifreakinnb

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

One of the most underrated products EVER. I've been using Shiseido Mascara Bases since 2006. There are 2 noticeable differences between the first base and the current base:

1) The consistency: the current base has a slightly liquidy consistency. I remember the first base has a thicker, kind of clumpier texture. The current base also takes a little longer to dry. With the older base, I would wait 2 minutes for it to dry before applying mascara, now I have to wait almost 5 minutes. But besides that, it almost seems like the primer performs the same way. It still holds my curl throughout the day and defines each of my sparse lashes. (Making them seem fuller and thicker)

2) The brush: the older brush had a smaller, fatter brush and the current primer has a long, more narrower brush. Personally I prefer the current brush because it reaches the corner of my eyes and coats each of my lashes without having to pull or tug my eye to get the product in there. Also, I think the current brush distributes an even amount of product whereas the previous one would sometimes clump up on its own and then it would take me longer to spread the product out.

Overall, I love the Nourishing Mascara Base. I think it is pricey but definitely worth it. I use this everyday but at the same time, this product lasts me for a very long time. I only apply about 2 coats for each eye. Definitely worth the money.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/24/2011 12:21:00 AM More reviews by szhan

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

Best mascara base I've used! Far superior to its discontinued predecessor.

Pro:
-transparent in color
-keeps curls (esp. for stubborn straight-ass asian lashes)
-provides separation and length

Con:
-pricey to be replaced every few months
-could use a bit more horse power in the volume department

The way I see it: this base will take your not so ordinary mascara to the next level. Yes, it's expensive but you can save by purchasing good quality drug store mascaras!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/20/2011 10:05:00 PM More reviews by angelaychang

This makes my lashes look great. It helps keep the curl and makes my lashes super long. It is the secret to making my lashes look great. It doesn't way my lashes down.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/3/2011 7:50:00 AM More reviews by influxious

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

[EDIT] I've probably repurchased this more than 3 times. This base is AMAZING with L'oreal Voluminous Carbon Black, it gives me dramatic, dark lashes with moderate length and great volume. It is the closest thing I can get to my 'holy grail' mascara look!
However, it doesn't work with ALL mascaras. I found out recently that the Chanel Exceptionnel in Waterproof and the Urban Decay Lush Lash mascara is too wet/heavy for the base to hold the curl (It's a good mascara by itself though!). [/EDIT]

This is an amazing, gel-based and lightweight mascara base. I like the base to dry for a few minutes before I apply a non-waterproof mascara (that doesn't hold a curl by itself) but if your using a waterproof mascara on top, for example, Shiseido's Lasting Lift mascara, then apply it directly after you apply the base as it is goes on more smoothly.

I use my "Shu Uemura Cleansing Oil" to remove it and it comes off nice and easy.

After I take it off, my lashes don't fall off as often and it looks more full and healthy so the 'nourishing' claims are true :)

When worn alone, it slightly darkens the lashes and makes them glossy but under lights, you can see some grayish fibers (the formula doesn't contain any fibers though) on the tips of your lashes which isn't very attractive so layering black mascara on top is essential! This is a must-have for stubborn, asian lashes!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/8/2011 4:53:00 AM More reviews by iheartNARS

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This product hold my curl like no other! I have tried countless curling mascaras (in conjunction with an eyelash curler) and my short, stubby and straight lashes would lose its curl. Once I started using the mascara base, I can cry and still have a curl afterward. I honestly don't notice a difference from the older formula compared to the current one. I'm not sure whether it is actually nourishing my eyelashes, but as long as it holds my curl, I will continue to purchase this product.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/29/2011 2:00:00 AM More reviews by poldanser

Colourless base which is great for holding a curl on its own. ANd it lasts all day long. However this seemed to be the new formula which doesn't seem to volumising as much as it used to with the old formula. Its still a good base for other mascaras which can hold a curl.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/21/2011 6:30:00 PM More reviews by maliastyle

I was so faithful to the old formula (Shiseido The Makeup Mascara Base) and really didn't realize that the new one I purchased was not the same. Well, I shouldn't say that; it did run through my mind that my newly acquired purchase didn't seem to thicken my lashes at much, but I figured it was only because the product was new and needed time to dry out a bit. I even saw that the tube now said Nourishing, and still didn't catch on.

Obviously I eventually figured it out. Truth be told, now that I've had it a while, I really don't mind it. It still isn't as fabulous as the old one, but it still holds my curl, which is most important to me, and I've yet to find a primer that's better.