The Body Shop Ginger Shampoo Normal/Dry hair and Loose Dandruff

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamide DEA, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Polysorbate 20, Piroctone Olamine, Sodium Chloride, Phenoxyethanol, Panthenol, Propylene Glycol, Dimethicone Propyl PG Betaine, Honey, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Citric Acid, Sodium Salicylate, Methylparaben, Glycerin, Fragrance, Disodium EDTA, Linalool, Zingiber Officinale (Ginger) Root Extract, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Limonene, Birch Bark, Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Extract, Propylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Citral, Citronellol, Oakmoss, Benzyl Alcohol, Eugenol, Geraniol, Isoeugenol.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I'm not sure how I feel about this product. I've repurchased it a couple of times, and, up until the last time I purchased it, I really liked it. This last time I bought it, it turned my normally shiny, healthy hair into dry, lifeless hair. I'm not sure if they reformulated it or if my hair just turned wacky, but I'm disappointed because it really took care of my dandruff and smelled awesome. Now I use a really gentle shampoo and add a couple of uncoated aspirins to a dollop of it a couple times a week, and that keeps my dandruff at bay.
Edit: Well I started using this again because it is the only thing that consistently keeps the dandruff away. I do think that it builds up on my hair so I alternate it with EO French Lavender shampoo which removes build up.

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Update (18/07): I've recently noticed that less hair is dropping out when I wash it everyday. Instead of clumps of hair coming off in the shower, now there's only 3-5 strands dropping each time. incredible! I do hope I'm not jinxing myself by posting this. *** This works! It does what it claims on the bottle. This is the most expensive shampoo I've ever used - I generally stick to drugstore brands. However my usual Head and Shoulders hasn't been performing at all, and may in fact have contributed to a recent bout of dandruff. When I saw the Ginger Anti-Dandruff Shampoo on sale at TBS, I picked it up together with the Olive Glossing Conditioner. After a week of use, i think its pretty good - the shampoo rinses clean, immediately upon first use, it cut the scalp itchiness, cleared the dandruff, and gives me clean, shiny hair. When paired with the olive glossing conditioner, my hair looks really healthy and shiny. So I went back to the store and picked up a second bottle. BUT I'm not too fond of the ginger smell. Smells like ginger tea, or 'teh halia' as its known in Asia. But I'll continue using and buying as long as it works for me.

Gets hair nice and clean and feeling light weight, smell not too strong. Not really sure if it does the flake removal it promises. Improved but seems to dry scalp out somewhat.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

If you have really sensitive scalp/skin, then this shampoo is for you. I have really oily hair with a touch of dandruff that I can't even wash my hair the night before because it won't last until the end of the next day. Because of my oily hair, for years I've used fairly cheap ($4-6) shampoos and conditioners that you get from drugstores that was specifically formulated for oily hair and let me tell you I'm paying the price for it. Those shampoos (Pantene, Garnier, Herbal Essence, John Freida, ect.) have hydrogenated ingredients that are made from god knows what and very unnatural ingredients (chemicals, blech). Because of this, it strips you hair of your natural oils and completely dries your hair out (especially the ends but makes your hair oily at the end of the day), it damages your hair, and on top of that damages your scalp. Every time I would go to my hair stylist, she would say my scalp was red and irritated and those products were the culprit. After using this shampoo for a couple of days, I could see the changes in my scalp and hair. My hair didn't end up dried out (although I use TBS's Honey Conditioner afterwards), it gets rid of pesky dandruff really well (I'd say better than H&S, since that still irritated my scalp and made my hair really oily) and my scalp actually isn't red anymore! I still find that my hair gets oily by the end of the night but since it's not damaging my hair or scalp, I'm sticking to this. I recommend this especially for sensitive scalp.

Works like a gem. I had typical winter dandruff due to indoor heating, but this shampoo got rid of flakes after just two uses! I gave it an overall rating of just 4 due to the smell. It smells really really strong. If you can't stand the ginger/cardamom type smell, stay away. Otherwise, its a great product- gets rid of dandruff, lathers up well with just a little bit of product, and keeps hair and scalp squeaky clean and oil free.

I like the smell, but it doesn't do squat for dandruff. there are much better dandruff shampoos available. But if you like the scent of ginger and want to treat yourself, this is an ok choice.

I started using this shampoo 11 years ago after trying EVERYTHING to get rid of an embarrassing waxy build up on my scalp. I've since turned several friends and family members on to it, and all are happy. I'd definitely recommend it to those with sensitive scalps, with or without dandruff problems.

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

This stuff wasnt bad at all and loved the smell. It did an ok job with my scalp but, i give this a 3 being that of cost and effectivness, as the drugstore brands arent bad and like the reviewer stated below cheap. If you like the smell of ginger and wanna get yourself something nice as a treat to yourself then get this, other than that i cant see myself buying it all the time.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

I was pleasantly surprised at how well this worked for me. I got a really bad case of dandruff this winter and I tried this first (I was planning to get aesop's dandruff shampoo initially) with a view to trying others if this failed. I like the small travel size and the price was okay.

This shampoo has a lovely scent and it really worked for me. I have used it 3 times now and the flakes have all gone. I like that it wasn't too drying, smelt nice and rinsed out easily.

Worst shampoo I have ever used. Head & Shoulders is a million times better and a billion times cheaper then this ! MY hair started falling out like crazy while I used this shampoo. It looks ugly and it smells weird. The only reason I made the mistake of buying it was cuz I was suffering from winter dandruff and thought Body Shop product would be gentle. No way!

Top Rated The Body Shop Products