September 16, 2014 | 1738 users online

Palettes - Urban Decay - Book of Shadows Vol. III

rated 4 of 5 on 11/5/2010 11:56:00 PM More reviews by lafemmetopaz

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is my 3rd UD palette collection. As some has stated there some repeats of the most popular UD shades, i.e smog, midnight cowboy rides again, perversion, maui wowie, last call, and uzi. However, Kush, Money and Radium are so GORGEOUS!!!!

To those who mentioned the fallout, ALL finely milled eyeshadow give some fallout but if you have alot of fallout, you either need to get better brushes and/or apply the eyeshadow better(i.e packing the color on the lid in a patting motion before blending). Or the translucent powder option mention in another posts.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/5/2010 11:51:00 AM More reviews by blndiee06

This is the first UD palette that I brought and I really like it. It offers a whole range of eyeshadows for a pretty decent price.

Most of the eyeshadows do have a shimmer to them and since I'm not a shimmer girl, this kind of bothers me. I wish more of them were matte but I will still play around with the palette.

The colors are so smooth and have a fantastic pigmentation. They blend like a dream and super bright without a base.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/4/2010 9:22:00 PM More reviews by reenerneener

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

this is the first & only book of shadows that i just simply don't like. for me, it's all the same regurgitated colours that UD seems to pack into every palette they make (i seriously own midnight cowboy 6 times now & never once did i intend to buy it) the packaging for me is meh...a little overkill, really. UD shadows also leave much to be desired...so much fallout & the vibrancy lacks.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/4/2010 8:23:00 PM More reviews by lksandrock

I walked into a Sephora store on a whim and saw this palette. I was instantly enamored with all of the different color options and the fact that it came with a couple of eyeliners. However, I agree with the other reviewer that mentioned the mirror and pop-up are a novelty that could have been left out.

I also agree that, even when careful, there is quite a bit of fallout; but this is easily fixed with a little tlc.

Overall, I truly love this palette, and I love the fact that I always get compliments on my eye makeup when I use the bright colors. I would suggest it to anyone wanting to experiment with new colors and looks.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/31/2010 2:13:00 AM More reviews by luv4juicy5308

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I thought I would never buy any U.D. palette prior Naked palette, because honestly, nothing interests me. i bought them but ended up returning all of them.. until i got Naked palette, then my love for UD is back. so i was browsing at Ulta and saw they had a bunch of BOS3, so i decided to grab one... just because the colors looked so pretty and because of my previous positive experience with naked. got home, instantly fell in love with this palette. the colors are amazing, very unique, which i love. esp the purple shades in there. every single shade in there is crazy pigmented and buttery smooth. can't even compare to MAC's e/s! $60 is a lot, but if you think about it it's worth it. it has 16 shades in there and it will last you forever. and not to mention it has a cool pop up art and lights up!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/29/2010 6:34:00 PM More reviews by nmaria0715

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Overall, This is a dazzling palette! But of course like most Urban Decay shadows, you're gonna get fall out! But some out of the 16 shadows from this book, aren't too too bad! while others like uzi, kush and money, be alert! and just lift and hold a magazine mail-in card or a postcard underneath your eye while applying it, but don't poke yourself!I like the ransom liner. I think zero and the pp are overrated, but definitely staples in every book. And last but not least the lit mirror with the nyc skyline i'll never use, but it is a nice novelty to have :)

rated 4 of 5 on 10/29/2010 2:02:00 PM More reviews by AntiqueAcorn

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I thought, like quite a few people, I would pass this palette by. I already have BOS II which hasn't been getting as much love as it should - not because the shadows suck but just because the palette is so impractical for me - and the colours didn't really appeal other than Rockstar, Loaded and Money however I eventually caved and bought it a few weeks ago.

The thing I like about Urban Decay palettes is that you are not being compromised on the quality of the products, the formula of each item is the same as if you were buying the full size and that makes for excellent value for money unlike some other companies I could mention who seem to re-formulate when condensing into palettes. The 16 shadows are a lovely soft texture and very easy to work with and have good pigmentation - favourites would be Last Call, Rockstar, Loaded, Money and Bordello - sadly UD have once again included Midnight Cowboy Rides Again and I cannot tell you how sick I am of seeing this colour. I could easily do without the 3 glittery shades, though I do like Maui Wowie, and wish they would give Sin a regular appearance as it is such a versatile neutral. The ratio of colour to neutral is better in this palette and finding complimentary shades in this one is also really easy. (I read somewhere that Loaded and Suspect are dupes for NARS' Rajasthan duo and I have to say they're pretty close.)

The price here in the UK is 30.50 which is excellent for 16 eyeshadows, 2 eyeliners and a primer, it is quite a large initial outlay but there is so much product here and the shadows last for a very long time. This is an excellent way to sample the brand.

The thing that lets this down, as with every other Book of Shadows, is the packaging. I agree that it is really cute but it is SO bulky that it drives me crazy, I recently de-potted both my BOS into a single palette (because I travel a lot) and now get far more use out of both of them, it also takes up a fraction of the space. I understand the packaging is the attention grabber, and in some cases the make or break of the purchase but in reality it is cumbersome especially when the novelty of the lights has worn off. Not a travel palette by any means but it is now its been de-potted I enjoy taking the 32 shadows with me instead of the 15 pans I was travelling with before.

I would purchase this again if I needed to but it will be sold out by then (I haven't bought, and won't buy, a back-up as I really don't think it's necessary) and we'll be reviewing BOS IV but all-in-all an excellent purchase that I'm really enjoying - and enjoying rediscovering BOS II - highly recommended.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/29/2010 12:46:00 PM More reviews by CLAWZGALAW

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Dark, Cool Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I really like this palette . . ... I've never purchased eye shadow from UD until I bought this palette. i went in looking for the NAKED palette and the guy told me it was all sold out and he suggested I buy this because it's a "limited edition" and I'll be "upset if I didn't buy it" . . ...LOL ... (I was sold on the NYC pop up because I'm NYC all day everyday! lol) . ...

I have to say after purchasing this, I am DEFINITELY a fan of UD's e/s .. ... they def pop on my dark skin and best of all, they LAST!!! This palette has great colors . . .. I used "Radium" for the 1st time yesterday and OMGGGGG, soooo HOT!!! That's my new fave color! But yeah, overall. . . I don't love this palette but I really do like it....A LOT!! :-)

rated 5 of 5 on 10/29/2010 9:45:00 AM More reviews by LoveAntigua

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Pro: Beautiful colors, blends great, many colors, two eye liners and a mini primer potion is a big bang for your buck.
Cons: Some have too much glitter and it irritates my eyes (the ones w/out glitter are great), some fallout even with careful application.

Generally I love it. The packaging is annoying because it's so big but once I pull out the drawer with colors it doesn't bother me.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/29/2010 12:14:00 AM More reviews by bebemonte

I am a big fan of UD matte shadows and a huge collector of eyeshadows in general, mainly MAC, NYX, NARS etc. but after reading about the glitterbombs in this palette I was hesitant to buy it until I say a 20% code on Karlasugar.net for Sephora and I immediately went online to order this.
I LOVE IT!
The packaging is cute but bulky and probably and the shadows seemed like dupes of all the other ones I have in my MAC palettes until I put them on and it is LOVE. The texture is so creamy and velvety -- definitely different from MAC -- some of the colors are just amazing -- like Rockstar and the blue ones. Very glad I bought it.