Almay One Coat Dial Up

on 10/26/2010 6:36:00 PM

This is reminiscent of both Maybelline's ex-Dial-A-Lash and Rich and Gentle or something mascara of the 1980s. The formula seems to go on smoothly, albeit well, but with no smudges and seems to be a good lengthening and curling mascara but not sure about the thickening part. However, this seems to be pretty good overall and not sure that I would buy again, but is ok in that it doesn't flake or smudge.

on 10/26/2010 8:30:00 AM

This is a very average mascara. I was sucked in by the "adjustable" dial, which of course turned out to be a gimmick because, as other reviewers have notes, all 3 settings yield the same effect. I agree with others that the wiper doesn't do a very good job at getting the excess mascara off the wand.

the dark black color was indeed a deep, rich black, so I give it kudos for that. Additionally, I did get a fair amount of length. However, this mascara flakes and smudged, so overall, this is not a repurchase for me. continued >>

on 10/17/2010 10:36:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Coarse

I just tried this products today and I don't see why so many people dont like this mascara. I think it's pretty decent for a mascara under $10. It does not do much for voume but it does engthen and is very pigmented. I did not see much of a diff between 1 and 3, except 3 gave me a sight bit more length. I am not sure about staying power yet. I will have to see.

Eyes: Violet

i got it in blackest black and its very pigmanted thats the reason it go the 2 and the packaging is cute. clumps like no other. horrible its clumpy even on setting one very disappointed

on 10/13/2010 4:58:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Cool

I picked this up at Wags, because after coupons and Register Rewards it came out to $3 for two, plus each pack had a free eyeliner inside. I got Blackest Black. First, I do not like the brush. The bristles are really short and it took a while to get any noticeable coverage. The formula wouldn't have seemed so wet if the mouth of the tube had been smaller, and kept more of the product inside. Also, I didn't notice any difference between setting one and three. I wasn't wowed by either the thickness or the length of my lashes. But after a full day, it didn't smear or flake, even after a sudden fit of weeping. I wiped at my eyes and no mascara in the tears. Also, I don't like the stumpy tube. I'm probably going to return these. Remember Maybelline's Dial-a-Lash? Why'd they discontinue that? That was a great mascara. And it had TEN levels, not just a measly three.

on 10/10/2010 8:02:00 PM

This mascara takes some work to make it usable, hence the 3, but the results are lovely on my lashes.
GREAT length
not too expensive
easily found in most drugstores/ulta
dial up thing is a gimmick. if i go over the first setting, it's clumps galore.
consistency is very wet. had to let it sit open to the air for 15 minutes in order to help it dry up a bit. now that i've done that, the consistency is better.
packaging is pretty crappy, and not conducive to helping the mascara wand stay clump free.

All in all, i would maybe buy this again. the results are great, but only because i let it become drier and by not using the other 2 settings. i also occasionally have to use a spoolie on my lashes to get rid of the spider lash effect (some days it can be spidery looking, other days not. its finnicky).

on 10/10/2010 5:49:00 PM

Terrible terrible terrible! I never should have fallen for the buy mascara and get eyeliner for free deal at Walgreens. I was looking for a new normal black daily wear mascara and came across this piece of sh*t.

I mainly blame it on the brush/non existent bristles, in that it clumps your lashes like crazy when you try to apply. The formula also dries flaky and stiff. The "dial up" aspect is a joke and the self advancing eyeliner that I got with it is also crap.
The tip of the eyeliner actually broke off when I tried to apply it to my upper lashline. And the liner was hard and tugged at my eyelid - not a smooth application at all. I am literally going to throw it out...

This is not just an "Ok I don't like it so I'll give it to someone" kind of thing; it is a "this is so useless and trash that I'm embarrassed to even consider giving it to anyone". I know you shouldn't judge a makeup line by one product...but in this case I've tried two and it's probably my first and last time with Almay.

on 10/4/2010 2:03:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

I do not like this at all. The advertisement for this made it look a lot better then it actually is! Does not at thickness or length and gives a wire/clumped kind of look to the lashes. Not flattering at all.

on 10/3/2010 12:49:00 AM

This is a great day wear mascara. The formula wasn't clumpy and I liked the way my lashes looked when it was on. I needed to apply a fair few coats for a sultry look. It wore well. However it's not dramatic or full enough for night wear.

The 3 stage coat (1 being the less dramatic and 3 being the most) was a total gimic. I couldn't tell the difference between any of them. And I really *loathe* products that make you fiddle & fuss just because the companies think it's a great marketing ploy. Dial Up? Pretty gay if you ask me.

All in all, I like the formula so yes, I would buy again.

on 9/30/2010 12:44:00 AM

Okay soo im still young , but i wanted to try it out cause the commercial's and popularity of this product was good . So i went out and got it :D . . . Sad-__- I wear it when i have time on my hands before i go out , If not then NOO! It will smudge all over your lid . The 3rd dial is TOO much . The 2nd dial is okay and the first one is perfect but it still will smudge . I wear this over a layer of cover girl lengthening mascara and it looks flashish which i really like because the lengthening mascara from cover girl isnt super dark so i add this one . This volumizes it a bitt , and makes your lashes really dark , but i wouldnt really buy this again .

Top Rated Almay Products