September 23, 2014 | 980 users online

Eyeliner - Tarte - EmphasEYES waterproof clay eye shadow & liner

rated 2 of 5 on 3/4/2011 6:32:00 PM More reviews by merveilleux

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

So sad.. I really liked this liner until I went on a walk one day and the wind began to blow. Somehow, my watering eyes got the liner in my eyes and made them itch so bad I had to walk all the way home (.5 mile) with my eyes closed. At the time I thought maybe pollen got in my eyes but then a couple nights later I got teary while watching something on tv (I know) and the same thing happened.
It also made my eyelids sort of itchy at my lash line. I'm really bummed out because I thought it was a great liner but I can't be worrying it'll get in my eyes and not be able to see. What if I was driving?? I'd have to pull over and do who knows what.. not even visine helped me. I had to splash water in my eyes and ruin my eye makeup. Agh.. I'll never trust another Tarte liner...

rated 5 of 5 on 1/24/2011 9:58:00 PM More reviews by MT3

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

First received the small pot in violet as part of a kit in Sept 2010. Began a new job where I had to look polished all day every day. This eyeliner is great.It does not fade or smudge.

Then I ordered the large bronze pot alone. Less intense color but very flattering for my blue eyes. Lasts all day.

Then I got the black as part of a kit. Oh my. I can barely use it because the intensity is insane.

I agree that the clay looks like it is cracking, but the texture or performance did not change.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/24/2011 12:22:00 PM More reviews by bluest1199

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have this product in the shade Bronze. It is a thick product so it's a little hard to work with but still works really well. I've used it as a liner and had no problems with smudging or fading. I've also worn it as a shadow and a color base for shadows and have found that if you plan on wearing it for more than 8 hours you need to wear a primer or it will crease. However, I've also found that this product dries fairly quickly and once it dries it won't smudge or smear. I think that this is a great product and would highly recommend it.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/16/2010 5:34:00 PM More reviews by Nancygia

Psalmist captured my feelings exactly in her review but I will add to it. The first time I used this I liked it. I found it fairly easy to apply, and found the texture similar to a Stila smudge pot, which are fine, but I prefer MAC fluidline. The second time I used it, just a week or so later, it was almost completely dried up even though the cap was on tightly. I could barely make a line with it, and it balled up and flaked all over even as I was using it. Just horrible.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/13/2010 4:32:00 PM More reviews by anniejade

Horrible for such an expensive product! I'm definitely going to stick to fluidline. The color pay off is sucky (based on the purple) and it smudges on my eyes :( Returned immediately!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/9/2010 5:56:00 PM More reviews by karamelsutra

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

this is a great product! i have always used felt tip eyeliners (ie. kat von d's tattoo liner), but i find myself gravitating to this liner more often. i've had this product for more than 3 months now and have not experienced the cracked, dried out liner everyone seems to be complaining about. usually i hold the pot to warm it up a bit (or at least i think it is warming up LOL), obtain enough product and close the pot tightly. i never leave it open. application is great; goes on smoothly. staying power is great also. does not smudge on my oily eye lids. removal is easy and i use Yes to Carrots daily cream cleanser to remove it. overall % stars.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/30/2010 12:01:00 AM More reviews by psalmist

Okay...so one day I'm channel surfing and I see they're featuring on qvc tarte cosmetics. This particular day, they were talking about how wonderful and great tarte's waterproof clay eyeshadow/eyeliner is. Well, they did all these cool demonstrations to show that come heck or high water that waterproof eyeshadow/liner ain't budging. Needless to say...I was sold. I was determined to buy it a.s.a.p
A few weeks later I go to sephora and buy tarte's waterproof shadow/liner. I take my little new found makeup toy home only to be extremely disappointed. First of all, because this shadow/liner has clay....it has the tendency to dry out and quick. The instructions on the box says to make sure you keep it tightly sealed so it won't dry out. Duh.....I did that....and guess what???? The darn thing dried out within the week. The lid on these glass makeup pots don't close well at all. I had to tinker with the lid on my makeup pot for a few minutes in order to get to close properly.
Also, the shadow/liner is difficult to put on because of its thick consistancy. You dip your eyeliner brush into the shadow/liner mixture and all you get are large clumps on your makeup brush. Last but not least, one the shadow/liner dries after you put it on your eyelids...it will crumble and flake through the day...and that sucks becaue I had flakes of this stuff falling in my eyes and it got my eyes irritated as heck.
I don't recommend this product at all. Tarte needs to find better packaging so the shadow/liner won't dry out. Tarte also needs a better formula so the consistancy can be smoother and go on smoother on the eye and so the shadow/liner won't flake off after it dries.
This product is not worth the money. Save your money and buy something better.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/15/2010 4:08:00 PM More reviews by duckfeather

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This product is HG material for the first few uses. Super easy to apply, even for a cream eyeliner-phobe like me. No lid transfer, no smudging (seriously, none), water- and tear-resistant, easy to remove. The color sets quickly but is easily blendable for about 30 seconds after application, making it a good base for a smokey eye.

And then, after a week of eyeliner euphoria, product dries out and separates from the edges of the pot, starts caking on your brush and gets all crumbly when you apply it. Really disappointing, and it'll happen no matter how conscientious you are about closing the lid tightly. It stays moderately usable if I mist it lightly with distilled water once a week and thoroughly clean the brush after every use to avoid clumps.

I hope Tarte finds a way to increase the longevity of this formula, because for those first few days it really is a dream to apply.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/14/2010 8:25:00 PM More reviews by Vac513

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I love this stuff. I have it in the bronze color, which works really well on my hazel eyes. I think it's really similar in color to my Laura Mercier eyeliner pencil in Brown Copper. But here's the difference- I took TWO NAPS today with this stuff on, and it did not budge ONE BIT. My perfect cat eye is still amazingly perfect, even after two naps! And this is without any primer at all, not even any eyeshadow. Crazy.

The reason that this product only gets 4 lippies and not 5 for me is that like several of the other reviewers, my eyeliner is starting to dry out and is cracked in the pot. I've had it for about 3 months now and have only used it about 5 times, so this is lame. But it isn't completely dried out, and I can still use it so far. If this changes soon, I'll update this review and take more lippies off... The staying power is so amazing that even with it drying out quickly, I am still in love with it for now.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/22/2010 7:31:00 PM More reviews by santokie77

I'm a little torn over what number to put under "overall rating".

I purchased this on QVC at the beginning of July right before my trip to Korea. I knew I was going to be in monsoon weather and needed a good eyeliner that didn't give me racoon eyes so I decided to give this a try. I normally use BB Gel Liner.

I loved how well the product worked, it definitely delivered its promise. Despite the humid Korean weather in the middle of July this liner held up rather well and I was going to declare this my HG gel liner over by Bobbi Brown.

Ok...fast forward couple of months. I went back to use up the rest of my BB and reached for the Tarte e/l a week ago (and this is mid Sept. so it has been 2 months since my purchase) and the liner inside the pot has divided in half, almost completely dried out.

I cannot use this to give me the really thin line because the formula has become too cakey. I will only reach for this if I don't mind the line being a little longer.

I would NOT purchase this again. 2 months for the product to dry out is not acceptable in my book. My BB Gel liner can usually go 9-10 months without any problems for me. Totally disappointed and considering this was my first Tarte purchase makes me hesistant about purchasing any future Tarte products.