October 2, 2014 | 982 users online

Eyeliner - Tarte - EmphasEYES waterproof clay eye shadow & liner

rated 4 of 5 on 4/15/2011 5:55:00 PM More reviews by mneiai

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I bought this separately as Bronze and Blackened Plum and got Shimmering Black Night and Plum as part of two different kits. I really like this stuff. Goes on very easily, lasts forever (I did swatches on my arms and this took twice as long as all the other products to rub off with soap, also it and my waterproof mascara are the last things I can take off at the end of the day).

The only thing is you have to watch packaging size! The big looking ones actually have significantly less inside of them because they just have more glass (I'll make a side-to-side picture when I get the chance, it's really ridiculous). The "small" looking ones are 3.4g while the "big" looking ones are 2.5g.

Plum and Bronze are exactly as you would suspect. Shimming Black Night has very subtle shimmer that looks multi-colored. Blackened Plum goes on a shade or two off from black and also has very subtle shimmer.

I've had Bronze the longest and sometimes wear it as a shadow. It has yet to dry out, though maybe they've reformulated a bit in 2011 or maybe the humidity here helps (I'll edit if they dry out). If you're oily it takes a little longer to dry and you have to be careful not to open your eyes too wide for a few minutes, but once it's on and dry, you're good to go all day.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/9/2011 1:48:00 PM More reviews by lunalove

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I usually love gel eyeliners, stila smudge pots and mac fluidline being my favorites but I really wanted to try tarte's because it is natural and I liked the violet color.
I was so disappointed in the color payoff!! It is so sheer I have to use a black eyeliner (tokidoki felt tip pen) underneath to get it to show up decently! When I bought it, they were selling it with a double ended eyeliner brush at sephora...the product balls up on the thin brush and I have to really work to smooth it out so I dont have chunks of it unevenly on my lash line. :( I do love tarte most of the time, just not this eyeliner! It also felt very drying to me when I used it as a base on my lid, and I have oily lids.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/4/2011 6:32:00 PM More reviews by merveilleux

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

So sad.. I really liked this liner until I went on a walk one day and the wind began to blow. Somehow, my watering eyes got the liner in my eyes and made them itch so bad I had to walk all the way home (.5 mile) with my eyes closed. At the time I thought maybe pollen got in my eyes but then a couple nights later I got teary while watching something on tv (I know) and the same thing happened.
It also made my eyelids sort of itchy at my lash line. I'm really bummed out because I thought it was a great liner but I can't be worrying it'll get in my eyes and not be able to see. What if I was driving?? I'd have to pull over and do who knows what.. not even visine helped me. I had to splash water in my eyes and ruin my eye makeup. Agh.. I'll never trust another Tarte liner...

rated 5 of 5 on 1/24/2011 9:58:00 PM More reviews by MT3

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

First received the small pot in violet as part of a kit in Sept 2010. Began a new job where I had to look polished all day every day. This eyeliner is great.It does not fade or smudge.

Then I ordered the large bronze pot alone. Less intense color but very flattering for my blue eyes. Lasts all day.

Then I got the black as part of a kit. Oh my. I can barely use it because the intensity is insane.

I agree that the clay looks like it is cracking, but the texture or performance did not change.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/24/2011 12:22:00 PM More reviews by bluest1199

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have this product in the shade Bronze. It is a thick product so it's a little hard to work with but still works really well. I've used it as a liner and had no problems with smudging or fading. I've also worn it as a shadow and a color base for shadows and have found that if you plan on wearing it for more than 8 hours you need to wear a primer or it will crease. However, I've also found that this product dries fairly quickly and once it dries it won't smudge or smear. I think that this is a great product and would highly recommend it.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/16/2010 5:34:00 PM More reviews by Nancygia

Psalmist captured my feelings exactly in her review but I will add to it. The first time I used this I liked it. I found it fairly easy to apply, and found the texture similar to a Stila smudge pot, which are fine, but I prefer MAC fluidline. The second time I used it, just a week or so later, it was almost completely dried up even though the cap was on tightly. I could barely make a line with it, and it balled up and flaked all over even as I was using it. Just horrible.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/13/2010 4:32:00 PM More reviews by anniejade

Horrible for such an expensive product! I'm definitely going to stick to fluidline. The color pay off is sucky (based on the purple) and it smudges on my eyes :( Returned immediately!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/9/2010 5:56:00 PM More reviews by karamelsutra

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

this is a great product! i have always used felt tip eyeliners (ie. kat von d's tattoo liner), but i find myself gravitating to this liner more often. i've had this product for more than 3 months now and have not experienced the cracked, dried out liner everyone seems to be complaining about. usually i hold the pot to warm it up a bit (or at least i think it is warming up LOL), obtain enough product and close the pot tightly. i never leave it open. application is great; goes on smoothly. staying power is great also. does not smudge on my oily eye lids. removal is easy and i use Yes to Carrots daily cream cleanser to remove it. overall % stars.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/30/2010 12:01:00 AM More reviews by psalmist

Okay...so one day I'm channel surfing and I see they're featuring on qvc tarte cosmetics. This particular day, they were talking about how wonderful and great tarte's waterproof clay eyeshadow/eyeliner is. Well, they did all these cool demonstrations to show that come heck or high water that waterproof eyeshadow/liner ain't budging. Needless to say...I was sold. I was determined to buy it a.s.a.p
A few weeks later I go to sephora and buy tarte's waterproof shadow/liner. I take my little new found makeup toy home only to be extremely disappointed. First of all, because this shadow/liner has clay....it has the tendency to dry out and quick. The instructions on the box says to make sure you keep it tightly sealed so it won't dry out. Duh.....I did that....and guess what???? The darn thing dried out within the week. The lid on these glass makeup pots don't close well at all. I had to tinker with the lid on my makeup pot for a few minutes in order to get to close properly.
Also, the shadow/liner is difficult to put on because of its thick consistancy. You dip your eyeliner brush into the shadow/liner mixture and all you get are large clumps on your makeup brush. Last but not least, one the shadow/liner dries after you put it on your eyelids...it will crumble and flake through the day...and that sucks becaue I had flakes of this stuff falling in my eyes and it got my eyes irritated as heck.
I don't recommend this product at all. Tarte needs to find better packaging so the shadow/liner won't dry out. Tarte also needs a better formula so the consistancy can be smoother and go on smoother on the eye and so the shadow/liner won't flake off after it dries.
This product is not worth the money. Save your money and buy something better.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/15/2010 4:08:00 PM More reviews by duckfeather

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This product is HG material for the first few uses. Super easy to apply, even for a cream eyeliner-phobe like me. No lid transfer, no smudging (seriously, none), water- and tear-resistant, easy to remove. The color sets quickly but is easily blendable for about 30 seconds after application, making it a good base for a smokey eye.

And then, after a week of eyeliner euphoria, product dries out and separates from the edges of the pot, starts caking on your brush and gets all crumbly when you apply it. Really disappointing, and it'll happen no matter how conscientious you are about closing the lid tightly. It stays moderately usable if I mist it lightly with distilled water once a week and thoroughly clean the brush after every use to avoid clumps.

I hope Tarte finds a way to increase the longevity of this formula, because for those first few days it really is a dream to apply.