September 15, 2014 | 1792 users online

Eye Primer - NARS - Pro-Prime Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base

rated 3 of 5 on 11/9/2013 3:18:00 AM More reviews by carlablack

This primer DOES work (on me at least). I remember my eyeshadows lasting up to 15 hours with this (and then i removed my eye makeup so it could've lasted longer). But i have some issues with the formula aaand packaging (as usual with all NARS products).

Formula...if it makes eyeshadow last 15 hours, what's left to complain? I don't like the consistency of it. This is an eye product, meaning it will be distributed all over the delicate thin skin with fingers. It HAS to be more liquid than this! I have to thug and pull on the eye area every day with this primer. Not good in long term eh?

Second, ah yes, the packaging. I think NARS should redesign ALL of their packaging. It's way way worse than a regular drugstore brand. First off, this velvety texture they use on their products isn't useful at all; it gets dirty after a day of use. (especially the white parts) And the doe foot applicator? For an eye base? I wonder who came up with that idea :)

Formula should've been liquid and package should be just a simple tube (a black one with NARS logo). Although i love the staying power, i'll give other brands a go.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/8/2013 5:54:00 AM More reviews by friedawg

I purchased this because for some reason my UDPP (which I had trusted for years) decided to start creasing on me (it might have been faulty or otherwise sitting around too long before opened). The product is much more fluidy than UDPP, is white in the tube but dries completely clear in a matter of seconds.

The primer works wonderfully and my eyeshadow will stay crease-free for just under 12 hours on my very oily eyelids. It is really easy to apply (just a regular sponge applicator) with no-fuss packaging, and you can use it sparingly so I can imagine one tube lasting awhile. Simply pop a tiny bit on your eyelid with the applicator and blend out quickly with a finger.

Unfortunately this is very expensive if bought at the Australian RRP so I think it's only worth it if purchasing from overseas or online.

If you're looking for an alternative to the UDPP then this is definitely worth a try.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/7/2013 12:46:00 PM More reviews by mu_atalltimes

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Fine Eyes: Other

I just got this as a GWP from Sephora and used today, at first I thought it was too oily feeling, but I waited a minute and it seemed dry, So I applied my eye makeup and it went on smoothly. It seems to me that it immediately sets the shadow and you really can't blend the shadow out as it is already set. I do like it for the staying power. Only cons are the price and the fact I feel like I better get my shadow on correctly the first time otherwise you can't really correct any errors afterward. Not my HG ES primer, I still prefer my Two Faced one.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/30/2013 4:14:00 PM More reviews by ANBoudreaux

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm out right now and I need more!!!!! I absolutely love this stuff! It's so smooth and blends like a dream. I've found a drug store brand that's almost as good that will suffice until I get my hands back on this, but please believe it is so worth the money!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/30/2013 11:49:00 AM More reviews by Riotrachael

Love. I cannot go a day without this, I'm now on my second tube. The first one lasted me 6/7 months and I used it practically every day! Definitely worth it!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/22/2013 7:08:00 AM More reviews by nfa160

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I am now using the second tube of NARS eye shadow primer. In a nutshell, I previously used LancĂ´me concealer alone under my daily eye shadow and it caked easily, so I looked up reviews for popular primers that prevented caking and made eyes shadow last. There were many reviews mainly on Urban Decay and Nars. I went for Nars. A tiny lentil size amount is needed, put on your hand, then dab in your finger and gently apply it inside out on both eyes, and I use a smaller amount under the eye too because I go for a smoky look with grey, khaki, and medium tones, not only black for the evening. I put my foundation on top, then another concealer layer. The eye shadow is placed perfectly, although it is a bit difficult to apply as it doesn't run as smoothly as it would without primer. But, the results are satisfying. Eye make up lasts longer, and no caking. I purchased one tube which lasted around a year and I'm still using it despite the fact that I purchased another tube. I am very happy with NARS eye shadow primer. Note: if you put more than a small amount, you won't get a desired result. Less is more with this product.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/16/2013 9:06:00 PM More reviews by lauractinapay

On my third tube of this despite the annoying packaging (had to chop this in half when I cannot get anymore product out. I put the remaining product in a tiny jar with the lid closed very tightly) and expensive price. It works on my super oily eyelids. It prevents eyeshadows from creasing. UDPP, Too Faced, Bare minerals, etc. do not work at all!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2013 7:00:00 PM More reviews by evillittlekitten

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Unimpressed.

Have gone through a two tubes of this, and I just can't get it to work for me. No matter how much (or little) I use, no matter how long I wait for it to "dry down" or set or whatever, I just can't get through an entire 8-hour workday without my lids fading -- or worse, disappearing outright.

And here's the punchline: my lids aren't usually the problem -- without any primer whatsoever, my lids are fine, but my CREASES are what disappears! So with this NARS primer, it's the opposite: my creases are intact, but lids are completely bare.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

The other thing I've noticed is that it feels like it's harder to blend shadow over this primer. Blending out my crease becomes a (bigger) chore. I'd willing do it if I at least had the guarantee of the primer doing its job through the entirety of a single workday, but alas...

I wouldn't call myself an eye primer expert -- I've only tried UDPP, MAC's PPs, this one, MUFE, and Lorac (ok, maybe that's a lot?) -- but this one is handily my last choice.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/14/2013 11:33:00 PM More reviews by flameangel

True to its hype, this totally blows the mediocre UPDD out of the water. A saviour for my extremely oily lids. Eyeshadows that used to crease and eyeliner that used to smudge on me when I was using UPDD hardly creased or smudged after I started to use NARS pro-prime. (Only a teeny bit at the end of a long day. I think this is fair enough.) I have tried Elf's mineral eye primer and Etude House's Proof 10. Nars', without a doubt, performs way better than them too. This eye primer dries down extremely fast too, great for busy mornings before work.

The only downside is the price and packaging. It is pricey but only a few bucks more than Urban Decay's at where I live. I do think that the eye primer is worth the money and I would buy it over and over again.

Regarding packaging, the signature rubbery texture was nice at first but the white rubbery tube soon became dirty with my foundation. (I use eye primer after I apply foundation.)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/1/2013 9:09:00 PM More reviews by s70princess

I have hooded asian eye lids, I do have a crease and my eyes aren't super small, but every shadow or liner I wear disappears, smears and/or smudges because my hooded lid touches my lash line whenever I blink -- so I pretty much gave up on wearing much eye shadow except for a light wash over the lids or a dark rimming of waterproof eyeliner or dark shadow (with a sealing product) around my entire eye. I had tried UDPP years ago and hated it, it felt siliconey (for hooded and oily lids that's really bad news as it felt so sticky and heavy everytime I blinked) and it always messed up the foundation over my lids and was always streaky everytime I tried to apply it. Then along came NARS Pro-Prime, and my eye makeup life has changed ... I can finally wear eyeshadow that stays in place on my hood lids now! I first received it with the NARS God Created a Woman palette (perfect dark shades for rimming my eyes) and decided to give it a try since it was included in the box (eventhough I wasn't really expecting much after such bad experience with UDPP). Immediately I could feel the texture of Pro-Prime to be much different than UDPP, it applied much smoother and more evenly over my foundation primed lids, and it dried to a nice finish, no heavy or weird siliconey feeling! Then when I brushed eyeshadow over my lids, I noticed my eyeshadow adhered to my lids so nicely, whereas before, it would never stick or just get messed up everytime I blinked. Throughout the day, I kept checking my eyes in mirrors and I was amazed, my eyeshadow really held up an entire day which had never happened before -- WOW. I seriously love this stuff and without sounding too dramatic, I feel this has really changed my eye makeup life -- finally, with this product, I can now feel confident in trying to use some of the many eyeshadows in my stash. Thank goodness NARS included a small sized one in the God Created a Woman palette otherwise, I am almost certain I would have never discovered this product -- after being turned off my UDPP (and eye primer products in general) long ago, I had really given up on being able to wear much eyeshadow on my hooded lids. So ladies, if you have hooded lids or any kind of problems with eyeshadow smearing or smudging, I highly HIGHLY recommend you give this primer a try!