December 19, 2014 | 1153 users online

Eye Shadow - Cover Girl - Smoky ShadowBlast

image 0image 1image 2

rated 1 of 5 on 1/12/2011 2:21:00 PM More reviews by evilmonkee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really wanted to like this. The color combinations are great- they produce a subtle shimmery smoky look . The downside is that they last 3 nanoseconds, no matter what you do. Since I loved the color combinations and the portability , I tried relentlessly to make the shadows work.
I used three different primers (on three separate occasions), and it creased within 5 minutes. I also tried using make up fixing spray, setting powder, putting neutral colored powdered shadow as a base, and the longest I could get the shadow to last was an hour. I don't normally have problems with creasing and my eyelids tend to be pretty dry.
I really love the idea of this product, but I will not be repurchasing until they change the formula.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/10/2011 6:08:00 PM More reviews by Pita4Oscar

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This product was a really good concept i think, but for me in actuality it failed. I bought it on buy-one-get one. The two colors i got were Silver Sky and Purple Plume. Overall they Went on nice and easy but then they smear really easily also. The colors smear from one color side to the other color's side. In the Purple Plume one the brown color thats supposed to be step two barely shows up over the pink from step one. The Silver Sky's step two, which is a blacky color, shows up better but still not very well.
I don't know if I'd buy these again however i have been using them one-sided. I just use one side at a time as a cream eyeshadow.
I have noticed though that if I don't put a powder eyeshadow over the color from the Shadow Blast my eye lids start to feel really, really wet.

See my You-Tube review here:

rated 1 of 5 on 1/4/2011 12:56:00 PM More reviews by Princess817

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Again like others I really wanted to like this product. I tried it multiple times. I have super dry skin and my eyelids get the dryest so I hoped the oily formula would help. Nope. I tried applying with an applicator and brushes and, nope. It creased within about an hour. It felt greasy. It didn't stay put. It is a good idea gone terribly wrong. I hope they fix it and reformulate it. If they do I'd be willing to chance it but...otherwise it's pretty bad. Everytime one box comes in at work ( I stock cosmetics at a big chain store) which is rare they get stocked I think some other poor sucker got screwed like me. Definitely DO NOT recommend. Usually I am happy with their products but this time...not so much.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/2/2011 7:50:00 AM More reviews by marigold00

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

You know I keep hoping that Cover Girl products will eventually improve,but it doesn't seem to be happening.

This shadow creases and doesn't stay very long.I would rather use crappy wet n' wild eye shadow

rated 1 of 5 on 1/1/2011 8:21:00 PM More reviews by joslook

I have seen the commercials so many times and was really excited to try this product. It seemed like such a great idea. Well, I received a free sample in Tempest Blue and...What a horrible product! First of all, who wears that much blue eyeshadow!? It should definitely have been mixed with a neutral color for a less 1970's look. My husband said I looked scary with all that blue on. But even another color would not make this product any better because it is very difficult to use. I had to press way harder than I cared to on my eyeball just to get enough color on my eyelid and it still didn't get the color on evenly and looked faded (even though I used a primer as well). I am really disappointed in this product. The idea is great but this product is horribly designed.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/13/2010 2:40:00 PM More reviews by kadbeauty

No. Just no. I really wanted to love this, I really did! I have the Bronze Fire duo, a light shimmery beige and a gold-brown liner. Beautiful colors, but this is the most horrendous creasing I have EVER seen. I have tried everything to try to get these colors to stay- setting with other eyeshadows, primers galore, even dusting my lids with a spare pressed powder. And nothing-NOTHING-works. And the packaging- sooo cheap it's almost funny. I didn't drop this once, and there are cracks all over it. The sticks popped out after 2 uses, and I pressed so, so lightly. Sorry CoverGirl.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/24/2010 12:38:00 AM More reviews by Koumiko

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

The concept is great, but this product was too much of a hassle to use. Maybe since I'm not used to using a brush-free application of eye shadow, but I found that I had a hard time blending the 2nd shade once I applied the 1st all over color one. It was hard to use too because of the shape of the eyeshadows, and I ended up using my fingers to ensure even coverage.

Still have yet to try it again since I bought it, but I think I'll suggest trying it with some primer first before application. Not impressed though :(

rated 2 of 5 on 10/27/2010 8:52:00 AM More reviews by mintcandyapple

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I really wanted to love this product. I think it is a great idea. I have it in the bronze shade. The color is a perfect bronze/gold on my NW20 skin. The gold really opens up my eyes and the bronze is light enough to do a smoky eye for day/work. You could also layer the liner with other products to give it more impact.
BUT: After two uses the sticks popped out of the tube. I didn't even press hard when applying because the product seemed suspiciously flimsy. SO annoying. Also, the clear caps have cracked all over and I didn't drop it. I am kind of shocked that this crappy packaging made it to the market. If CG redesigned the packaging I would totally repurchase.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/23/2010 7:29:00 AM More reviews by decoydream

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Black

This is quite possibly the most terrible make up product i have ever bought. I bought it in hopes of it being like a MAC shadestick but was majorly disappointed.Like other reviewers, it is aptly described as a 'coloured chapstick' - Actually, a chapstick probably won't even crease and smudge as fast as this! I have this in the bronze brown colour, and the only reason i give it one lippie is because the lighter side could be used for highlight if for nothing else!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/22/2010 10:40:00 PM More reviews by hebrides

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

OK, I love this product despite its flaws. It only works well if you layer it with real eyeliner pencil, a thin line in black or brown. Then you layer on the ShadowBlast, on both top and bottom lashlines, then you smudge. Use only the darker shade. The light shades are virtually useless, except the black/white one, where you can use the white end to highlight the inner eye corners and brow bone.

The key is to blend carefully. If it is too light or smudgy looking, increase the black liner, then smudge and blend again, wiping off any that runs into the outer corners. I also layer different shades of the ShadowBlast, for example, the two grey shades with the purple or the brown. I put the eyeshadow on either before or after - and sometimes I use the ShadowBlast in the crease. It just doesn't wear all that well, and that is why you must use other products with it. But it does give a smoky eyeliner look, easier than trying to achieve it with a midnight black eye pencil, or a brush and powder shadow. Because it cuts down on application time, it is worth it.

One really major flaw is that the plastic caps break and shatter if you barely breathe on them, and so you are forced to use them anyway and they barely fit since they are broken in pieces. But there is probably a year left in each one so I'm not throwing them out (or letting them dry out with no covers).

I will buy them again if I ever use them up (I have all of them except the green "citrus" one and even that interests me). Because even if it's a flawed, stupid product, I love the look it gives when I do my layering.

Edited Aug 11, 2013: I still love this eyeliner crayon. That is all I use it for (it is 100% unsatisfactory as a shadow), and I use only the purple one and the brown one. I still put a light line of black pencil on and then go over it with one of these, for an instant smudged look. It does not require manual smudging. Just application. I never use the lighter sides for shadow but sometimes to highlight the inner eye corners. Even though most people hated this product it is still there in all the displays. I have replaced the purple and brown ones both twice as I use them almost every day. I have tired the copycats by Revlon and Almay and they were badly made. First, they are too round and fat so they give racoon eyes. And the tip always breaks off. With these CG ones, the cap shatters if you drop it, but the stick itself does not break. And it has a nice tapered tip to draw a subtle line. I'm not so in love with it that I'd buy up a bunch for the day they discontinue it. But I've enjoyed using them for quite a while. The grey, black and blue shades are left languishing in the drawer as they don't look that great or go on that easily. Some day I'll post a picture of my technique with the purple over black liner.