April 17, 2014 | 903 users online

Eye Shadow - Cover Girl - Smoky ShadowBlast

image 0image 1image 2

rated 1 of 5 on 12/13/2010 2:40:00 PM More reviews by kadbeauty

No. Just no. I really wanted to love this, I really did! I have the Bronze Fire duo, a light shimmery beige and a gold-brown liner. Beautiful colors, but this is the most horrendous creasing I have EVER seen. I have tried everything to try to get these colors to stay- setting with other eyeshadows, primers galore, even dusting my lids with a spare pressed powder. And nothing-NOTHING-works. And the packaging- sooo cheap it's almost funny. I didn't drop this once, and there are cracks all over it. The sticks popped out after 2 uses, and I pressed so, so lightly. Sorry CoverGirl.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/24/2010 12:38:00 AM More reviews by Koumiko

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

The concept is great, but this product was too much of a hassle to use. Maybe since I'm not used to using a brush-free application of eye shadow, but I found that I had a hard time blending the 2nd shade once I applied the 1st all over color one. It was hard to use too because of the shape of the eyeshadows, and I ended up using my fingers to ensure even coverage.

Still have yet to try it again since I bought it, but I think I'll suggest trying it with some primer first before application. Not impressed though :(

rated 2 of 5 on 10/27/2010 8:52:00 AM More reviews by mintcandyapple

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I really wanted to love this product. I think it is a great idea. I have it in the bronze shade. The color is a perfect bronze/gold on my NW20 skin. The gold really opens up my eyes and the bronze is light enough to do a smoky eye for day/work. You could also layer the liner with other products to give it more impact.
BUT: After two uses the sticks popped out of the tube. I didn't even press hard when applying because the product seemed suspiciously flimsy. SO annoying. Also, the clear caps have cracked all over and I didn't drop it. I am kind of shocked that this crappy packaging made it to the market. If CG redesigned the packaging I would totally repurchase.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/23/2010 7:29:00 AM More reviews by decoydream

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Black

This is quite possibly the most terrible make up product i have ever bought. I bought it in hopes of it being like a MAC shadestick but was majorly disappointed.Like other reviewers, it is aptly described as a 'coloured chapstick' - Actually, a chapstick probably won't even crease and smudge as fast as this! I have this in the bronze brown colour, and the only reason i give it one lippie is because the lighter side could be used for highlight if for nothing else!

rated 3 of 5 on 10/22/2010 10:40:00 PM More reviews by hebrides

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

OK, I love this product despite its flaws. It only works well if you layer it with real eyeliner pencil, a thin line in black or brown. Then you layer on the ShadowBlast, on both top and bottom lashlines, then you smudge. Use only the darker shade. The light shades are virtually useless, except the black/white one, where you can use the white end to highlight the inner eye corners and brow bone.

The key is to blend carefully. If it is too light or smudgy looking, increase the black liner, then smudge and blend again, wiping off any that runs into the outer corners. I also layer different shades of the ShadowBlast, for example, the two grey shades with the purple or the brown. I put the eyeshadow on either before or after - and sometimes I use the ShadowBlast in the crease. It just doesn't wear all that well, and that is why you must use other products with it. But it does give a smoky eyeliner look, easier than trying to achieve it with a midnight black eye pencil, or a brush and powder shadow. Because it cuts down on application time, it is worth it.

One really major flaw is that the plastic caps break and shatter if you barely breathe on them, and so you are forced to use them anyway and they barely fit since they are broken in pieces. But there is probably a year left in each one so I'm not throwing them out (or letting them dry out with no covers).

I will buy them again if I ever use them up (I have all of them except the green "citrus" one and even that interests me). Because even if it's a flawed, stupid product, I love the look it gives when I do my layering.

Edited Aug 11, 2013: I still love this eyeliner crayon. That is all I use it for (it is 100% unsatisfactory as a shadow), and I use only the purple one and the brown one. I still put a light line of black pencil on and then go over it with one of these, for an instant smudged look. It does not require manual smudging. Just application. I never use the lighter sides for shadow but sometimes to highlight the inner eye corners. Even though most people hated this product it is still there in all the displays. I have replaced the purple and brown ones both twice as I use them almost every day. I have tired the copycats by Revlon and Almay and they were badly made. First, they are too round and fat so they give racoon eyes. And the tip always breaks off. With these CG ones, the cap shatters if you drop it, but the stick itself does not break. And it has a nice tapered tip to draw a subtle line. I'm not so in love with it that I'd buy up a bunch for the day they discontinue it. But I've enjoyed using them for quite a while. The grey, black and blue shades are left languishing in the drawer as they don't look that great or go on that easily. Some day I'll post a picture of my technique with the purple over black liner.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/20/2010 2:09:00 PM More reviews by chickatthegym

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Tan, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I agree with everyone else... this is a horrible rip off!
I bought the Plum color because I saw Drew Berrymore wearing it in an ad in my Allure mag and it looked really pretty. I now know for a fact that there is no way in hell that she's actually wearing this crap in that picture!

It's texture is like chapstick or something... and the color is totally weird. It smudges, creases, doesn't blend, looks awful- pretty much everything you DON'T want in a shadow. HORRIBLE!

rated 1 of 5 on 10/20/2010 9:35:00 AM More reviews by cccinnamonlips

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

There is nothing I can say about this that hasn't already been said. It is possibly the worst makeup product I have ever tried, and the only reason I was suckered into it was because of the crazy amount of advertising.

"Colored chapstick", as another reviewer has said, and the packaging is just as bad. My tube cracked after its first (and only) use.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/15/2010 2:31:00 PM More reviews by orchestrated19

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Wow, it's odd seeing how much everyone on MUA hates this product. I don't think it's horrible really, but it does lack in the quality department. It easily creases and the application aspect of it it's as great as I'd like it to be. Good concept and good colors... just not enough to make me want to buy it again.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/27/2010 8:06:00 PM More reviews by Rapunzelle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I usually love cream eyeshadows, but this one is awful! The concept is so great its a shame this one falls on its face. They are too greasy to have any staying power, and they apply unevenly. Yuck!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/25/2010 11:48:00 PM More reviews by sweetshiningstar

The colors are pretty nice, I must admit I have the brown set in the light brown/dark brown.

However, I have the Urban Decay Primer Potion, where NOTHING creases (before I used it EVERYTHING did).

This product still creases with the primer. So I hardly ever pick it up. You have to use it VERY sheer or else it will crease. Not cool, Covergirl, not cool.

Anyway, I'm straying away from Covergirl products in general, so there are several reasons I won't be repurchasing this product.