December 21, 2014 | 1879 users online

Foundations - Lucy Minerals Foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 7/13/2012 10:05:00 PM More reviews by cdurbin88

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have always had problem skin and was always trying to solve it with different cleansers. I ended on PCA Skincare but still got breakouts just not as bad. I never really gave much thought to the makeup making much of a difference. I changed makeup a couple different times between bare minerals, neutregena skin clearing and a couple more I can't remember...and never saw a difference so really just didn't think it had any bearing. Well I had gotten fet up with the acne scars and marks and was looking for something new to try that would give good coverage and not be too bad for my skin. Well I found Lucy Minerals on MakeupAlley and because it was highly rated I thought I'd give it a try and it has really changed my skin! I am just in LOVE with this stuff. I use the oil control (OCC). I couldn't tell you if it's the makeup, the ambrosia serum or exfoliating more or just all 3 but WOW. My acne is gone and my skin is just so much healthier and smoother. My sister couldn't stop telling me on a couple difference occasions how great my skin looked. If you have problem skin, please just give it a try and remember to moisturize and use the serum! Makes a huge difference! Love love love it!!!!

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/4/2012 3:54:00 PM More reviews by nothingreally

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I've been on the look-out for a new mineral foundation ever since my HG UD Surreal Skin started to just flake out, or they changed the formula(my suspicion). Anyway, I was attracted to this because of the good reviews and the great/cheap sample sizes they offer. Just 2.50 each for a decent sized sample, and I got free shipping on them too.

To start, I tried the normal formula first. I'm really impressed with it so far. I've found a great match with Pale Olive, although I'm thinking of mixing Creamy Olive and Pale Olive since it's a bit too light. Overall, the coverage is great and has a semi-matte finish. I don't have much acne anymore so I'm not the best opinion on that matter, but powders often look ashy or cakey, and this doesn't, which is good enough for me.

I'm probably a bit biased since I'm so syked(sp?) to find a foundation that offers such a great light olive shade. The Pale Olive is a true olive, no yellow, pink, or 'neutral' tones. It is difficult to get right, for whatever reason. It looks kind of flat, to be honest, but that's my skin and I'd rather go with what looks natural than having to put makeup all over my neck for a more 'lively' shade to match. Anyway, if you have olive skin and have a ridiculous time trying to find a match, I recommend Pale Olive or Creamy Olive.

My only complaint, as I see others have had as well, is that my face does get super oily with it. Granted, this is after 10 hours of wear but still, it is more oily than my other mineral foundations. I wouldn't say it wears as well, you'll probably need to touch up halfway through the day, unlike my UD. Not a big deal but for those who are out and about or live in hot climates might want to try the oil control formula they have. I just ordered samples of that right now, so I'll update my review when I get to try those out.

I'll leave it at 5 stars and somewhat leave this review unfinished until I can try the Oil Control, but overall I'm impressed with Lucy Minerals and recommend the normal formula for those with dry-normal skin.

UPDATE 10/28: So I'm sad to say that I no longer use this. Having to reapply just got to me after a while as I don't like carrying makeup around, and it just made my face too oily. I tried out their oil control formulas and got about the same results, honestly. I'm only going to knock it down to 3 because their CS is so amazing. The woman who runs it(Annie I think) really cares about her customers, ships fast and often includes freebies. Overall I can't badmouth Lucy Minerals, it's just not for me. I might revisit it soon since I haven't used it in a while, and will update if I've changed my mind.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/29/2012 5:47:00 PM More reviews by Sagu

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I'm happy to say that today was my first day wearing this foundation and I'm already loving it! I tried the OCC formula (Oil Control with Calcium Carbonate), and paired with OCC finishing powder, it kept my oiliness at bay miraculously well. I only had to blot ONCE during the day! I have a combination skin with an oily T-zone, some redness, my forehead currently breaking out, dry patches around my nose and mouth, but none of these was a problem when wearing the Lucy Minerals Foundation. I have yet to try the OCS formula but honestly, I can't imagine how it could be better than this one, haha.

I had read numerous reviews before receiving my samples so I knew how to use the foundation. I applied it with my EcoTools retractable kabuki, starting with the tiniest amount and working it up from there. The foundation went on quite nicely (I had to buff like crazy, though), the consistency is very creamy and the coverage is great without looking cakey or unnatural. First it looked just nice, but about half an hour later my skin transformed into this beautiful, even, perfect thing.

I really like it how the sample jars come with sifters! (Sifters are genius, I love sifters.) Shade-wise, I didn't find a perfect match. I did a full face with Creamy Olive but it was a bit ashy on me, so I'll try mixing it with some Creamy Bisque next.

Definitely going to purchase a full-size jar once I figure out the right blend for my exact shade match. At $15, I think it's super cheap! Their shipping rates are very affordable, too, and my first order arrived in ten days which I think is very reasonable (I live in Finland). Hands down, this is my new number one favourite foundation.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/26/2012 3:50:00 AM More reviews by itsiliii

Okay I waited a while before reviewing this foundation!
I use the calcium carbonate oil control formula in Golden Medium

One thing's for sure this stuff has got a learning curve...

PROS
-Awesome coverage for a mineral foundation, borders close on liquid
foundation type coverage
-Yellow undertoned shades available
-Not irritating to the skin
-So cheap and so much product
-The packaging is not messy!
-Lasts decently long for a powder

CONS
-Really must blend this stuff in or it looks really chalky. Blend blend
and let your oils come through and soften it before you judge it.
-Any flakiniess accentuated, sometimes settles into fine lines-
moisturize!

Definitely recommend and will repurchase!
Best and most affordable mineral foundation I have used thus far!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/17/2012 11:54:00 AM More reviews by BarbItalia

8/19/12 I finished all my sample shades and ordered 2 full sized foundations. Really, really love this one!!!
I've been testing this foundation over the past two months; I'm currently on my second formula and shade. I liked the original formula in Pale Olive, but now I really love the Oil Control Foundation with Silica (OCS) in Creamy Olive, a shade darker than the previous and better for me in the summer. The coverage it provides is wonderful! It controls my oiliness so much better than my much-loved Rimmel Lasting Finish Foundation (my recent return to liquid foundations after a decade or so). Soooo creamy to the touch and upon application to the skin! I just love it!

Ingredients for the OCS formula: Ingredients~ zinc oxide, titanium dioxide, mica, magnesium stearate, silica dioxide, iron oxides, allantoin, Apple Poly® polyphenols, trans-resveratrol, green coffee bean extract, magnesium ascorbyl phosphate.

When I've finished this sample jar ($2.50 ea), I will try the Oil Control with Calcium Carbonate (OCC) in Creamy Olive as well and then review that formula.

www.lucyminerals.com - Scroll down for shades

rated 3 of 5 on 6/15/2012 5:39:00 PM More reviews by JesdicaSofia

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I hate to say that I wasn't 100% satisfied with this product, although I realllly wanted to be. The product goes on fine at the beginning of the day. Its more convenient to buff on some mineral makeup than to sponge on foundation then go over with some powder later! So I was kind of excited at first but (even though I didn't want to accept it) the makeup made me very shiny, especially in the oil-prone areas (and Im not very oily at all), and pretty shiny everywhere else. I had also never experience streaking with makeup in my life so I didn't recognize it at first but this foundation majorly streaks on my nose. Its like just shiny and the makeup goes away. Very dissapointing :( Im now wondering if possibly the oil control is better or good primer because I do like the coverage at the beginning of the application. Im not sure if I want to purchase the oil control and risk it or just move on :/

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/9/2012 2:21:00 PM More reviews by AuNatural716

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Although this makeup went on fine at the beginning of the day, the colors are a bit off and I felt some itching and tingling by the day's end. I had the highest hopes for this product and unfortunately it mildly disappointed me. However, MAD minerals seems to be working just fine now and the color, coverage, consistency, and lasting power are all so amazing, so I recommend checking out as a better choice for ridiculously sensitive skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/8/2012 2:14:00 AM More reviews by Sally3186

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

To all the mineral gals out there, if you want a mineral foundation that will give you full coverage w/ matte finish that won't make you look flat, lucy minerals is the way to go. I'm serious, the coverage of this foundation is out of this world. However, there is always a trade off......the higher the coverage of any foundations, the heavier it feels. But I find this foundation feel the lightest comparing to other foundations I'd tried. The color choices is not as broad as everyday minerals however, you can buy sample size for $2.5 to try out. I'm nc 20-25 w/ mac, EM in butterd tan or golden medium, BE in light, and I use creamy olive w/ lucy minerals. During summer time i use medium olive when i get a little tan. There are different formulas in this brand. I have combo/oily skin and I find OCC formulation suit best for my skin.

The way I use this mineral foundation is pretty much the same as everyone else on here. I either use a flat top brush or a large dense kabuki brush (depending on how much coverage you want) and stipple the foundation on. I tried the buff method before, and it didn't turn out so good.

Fyi, lucy minerals offer free shipping quite often. Save youself a few bucks and wait till they run that special.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/4/2012 4:53:00 PM More reviews by ishhara

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Before I get into the details, I want to say that I highly recommend this brand. If their foundation doesn't work for you, I still think you should try their other mineral makeup: blush, eyeshadow and eyeliner.

Quick take:

Pro -- excellent coverage; very pigmented (a little goes a long way); overall, great effect; incredibly reasonable price/value; fantastic customer service

Con -- a bit of a steep learning curve, does not apply like any other mineral foundation; may not be for all skin types; shades are a little limited/require experimentation

-----

I had mix feelings when I first tried out this product. I felt like I didn't have the right colour match and it just didn't look that great on, so I gave up and tried another brand (Everyday Minerals). One day, while visiting my parents, I decided to try a Lucy Minerals sample on my mother. Golden Medium matched her skin perfectly and the effect was amazing. Her face positively GLOWED. It looked incredible on and covered most of her age spots. She looked a few years younger -- that's saying something since my mother already looks great for her age.

I decided to give Lucy Minerals another try, mixing my shade samples until I got the right colour: 65% Creamy Olive, 35% Medium Olive. By this point, I was a pro at applying the foundation and I started to really like the results. Compared to Bare Escentuals (I used Matte in Light) and Everyday Minerals (Light Olive), Lucy had the better coverage and overall better look. It makes your skin appear luminous. It's now my go-to foundation.

I finally decided to put in an order for a full sized foundation, which they custom mixed at my direction. I got it in the mail today (it came in a little jar with my name on the bottom instead of the usual shade name) and just put it on. It looks fantastic! I got it in oil control with calcium carbonate. I find that their oil control actually does do a bit to keep my oily skin from getting too overwhelming. I also bought these items during their Memorial Day sale (they're always having sales and deals) and it was well worth the money.

Warnings and recommendations:

Use a good primer to even out your skin and exfoliate regularly. Use a very sparing amount (don't treat it like other mineral foundations and buff loads on). Use a stippling/flat top brush. Step back and wait a few minute between layers.

This foundation works best if you have pretty good skin texture. My mother, bless her genes, may be just shy of 60, but has great skin texture. I, on the other hand, have issues with oiliness and acne, thus some uneveness and dry spots, but it's not that bad. With a gentle hand, and the correct application process, the foundation looks just as good as any other kind I've used (liquid and dry), if not better.

Also, whatever you do, don't buff it on in globs! I recommend using a concealer brush to brush a little on problem spots. Then, use a flat-top (or any other stippling brush), pick up a tiny bit of powder (you may need to shake off some excess) and gently stippling it on over your face. And then do a few gentle sweeping motions to even it out.

I want to stress again how great their customer service is. Every time I've had questions, I got a response within 24 hours. I also like all their free gifts and samples when you order. The only detraction is their rather difficult to navigate website, but it's forgivable. They're a "mom & pop" operation, not some big corporation that can afford to hire marketing firms and expensive designers. They put a lot of their money into their product and it shows.

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/3/2012 8:16:00 PM More reviews by mel0974

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have to say that I tried 8 different shades and no match. Not only that it is not oil controlling at all even when paired with both types of finishing powder . I also tried both formulas. The coverage is really good but I am not looking to make my routine harder by having to use a primer etc.love the eyeshadow but I'm leaving the foundation alone.

Update..... I actually travel to Flrida quite a bit so last month I went to the boutique. I got quite a bit of help, found the right foundation, and I love it! also please try it with the brush that is on her website as it makes a HUGE difference. I actually cannot believe it! My skin is doing really awesome...it's less oily which for me is amazing and I do believe it is helping my skin. I use the OCC in shell beige with a bronzer. It is phenom! Also, the blushes are amazing. I think the Lucy trick of putting the foundation on bare skin really did it for me.