August 30, 2014 | 1166 users online

Skincare - Face - Turmeric

rated 4 of 5 on 3/22/2013 2:13:00 AM More reviews by eatmyshort

I love everything about turmeric except for the jaundice look and stain. If you can overlook those annoying features, turmeric is an amazing healing medicine. Personally, I cannot use this stuff topically because it stains so bad. I use it internally and it does the same thing. It clears my skin, makes my complexion brighter, detox my liver, get rid of head ache, fibromyalgia, fatigue, insomnia, auto immune problems,asthma, allergies. I discovered this herb by accident when I noticed that foods high in turmeric takes my asthma away. From there I've been using it for everything. It has been documented to be a powerful anti oxidant strong enough to even fight cancer. I remember when my sister was 3 years old, she fell off her bike and scraped her face on the cement. We thought she would be scared for life because it was serious scaring of her entire cheek. Some one told us to apply FRESH turmeric to her face every day and within a month, the entire palm sized disfiguring scar completely disappeared. Her skin is flawless now. I remember her looking yellow for an entire month. Fast forward to today, I take turmeric with unsweetened yogurt as a supplement. Pains, fatigue, asthma all went away. I get beautiful clear youthful skin . I bought the powder form from the spice store for only a dollar. It lasts me an entire month or more. I take two teaspoon a day. If the detox is too strong I reduce the amount or stop for a few days. Turmeric absorbs much better when eaten with fats or some type of oil. Of all the herbs I have used, this is probably my biggest life saver. My HG herb! the fresher the better. If you can find fresh turmeric root, go for that one. but watch out for teeth staining! I swallow mine down with a mixture of yogurt. I tried pill forms turmeric from spring fields and various other brands but they tend to upset my stomach and make me sick. The turmeric pills do nothing for me. I do not get the same result from the turmeric pills as I get from the natural turmeric used as a spice eaten with foods. The real whole form unprocessed unrefined non isolated (curcumin) turmeric absorb hundred of times better when eaten with foods in its natural form. Make sure you buy 100% pure turmetic without additives or artificial colors. I buy mine at any Asian/Indian grocery store.

27 out of 28 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/21/2013 11:46:00 PM More reviews by Eremophobia

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Turmeric is wonderful for evening out skin tone and reducing redness/inflammation. After multiple uses, I can already see many of my dark and red marks from previous acne start to fade. It also makes my skin quite soft and supple. It also heals my breakouts faster than it would if I left them alone.

I generally just use turmeric and lemon juice/water to make a paste and then I apply it to my clean skin with a q-tip since it does temporarily stain your fingernails yellow. Sometimes I'll make a thicker paste out of honey and turmeric. I just leave it on for an hour and then rinse off. It does stain my face, so I use my regular cleanser to get off most of the stain. The stain is good though, because I feel like that's how it heals your skin. Afterwards, I moisturize my skin with extra virgin olive oil (turmeric is fat-soluble) and then the following morning I use my cleanser again and it takes it all off. Again, be careful because turmeric is notorious for staining everything!

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/8/2013 3:58:00 AM More reviews by bunnygrl468

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Black

Okay, there's a lot of reviews about using turmeric as a skincare product, but what about makeup? For people with YELLOW UNDERTONES? Correct me if there actually is a section about turmeric as makeup though...

Anyways, I googled relentlessly over fixing the color undertone of my foundation. You see, I absolutely love my foundation because the formula compliments my type of skin and it's drug store affordable. However, it was way too pink and growing tired of finding the "perfect shade," which would come in high end foundations or bad quality ones, I decided to use turmeric powder, which certain blogs and videos suggested.

As a result, it WORKED. My face matched with the rest of me. People think I don't wear foundation... It's great. Plus, the formula stayed the same!

The mixing part does get a little tricky though, gotta admit. A little goes a long way for this powder. I just SPRINKLE a bit onto a dollop of foundation and stir stir stir. Some people supposedly put the turmeric right into the foundation bottle, but I put a dollop of foundation and turmeric in a little jar.
Another thing to watch out for is that the powder doesn't dissolve, so I pick up the foundation lightly with my brush, not scooping it all up.
This may seem like a lot of work for certain people, but I think this is a fun discovery. I feel like Macgyver doing this ;)

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 3/1/2013 10:32:00 PM More reviews by MitaUd

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Helps to fade acne marks and scars but seems to aggravate inflamed cysts.plus leaves a yellow stain on my towel.tried using this with yogurt but got the same results. Will only use it again when I need to further reduce acne marks.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/25/2013 11:14:00 AM More reviews by Teshara

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I have a history of acne & after 3 years its back, to torture me again. started using turmeric & honey as a face mask for 30 mins abt thrice a week, alternating with applying diluted lemon juice on the days i dont apply turmeric.

Acne scars are fading, the pigmentation i have had around my eyes for 3 years have faded drastically, (have tried so many creams for getting rid of pigmentation but turmeric turned out to be a Life saver).

Many thanks to this site and all its lovely members for sharing your views.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/16/2013 12:53:00 PM More reviews by gizmondo

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I use a little turmeric with a spoonful of natural yoghurt & honey & squeeze of lemon & leave the mask on for 20-30 mins. I did notice after using it a couple of times it brought a lot of pimples to the surface, which was good as I could feel my skin was congested. I'm really pleased with result as my skin feels smoother, my pores seem less visible & have noticed it has helped lighten the dark circles around my eyes.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/12/2013 5:22:00 AM More reviews by sallyfielding

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Long story short, tumeric is AMAZING! I was on the search for a homemade face mask that would add more moisture to my skin and make my overall complexion just... better. This did just that! Firstly, I cleansed my face just to be sure it was thoroughly clean and I was starting with a clear base. Next, I mixed up my mask - 1 tsp yoghurt (I just used a tub of no fat Yoplait in french vanilla, but I guess all natural etcetc. would work better), 1 tsp of olive oil & 1/4 tsp of tumeric. A lot of reviews say to use honey, which is a really beneficial ingredient for clearing up skin, but unfortunately i suffer reactions when I use it on my face. I applied it to my face using my fingers - just a thin layer - and left it for about 15 minutes. I was a little wary to leave it any longer as I'm very pale and read online that it stains - which I can confirm it does. I washed it off and instantly noticed the difference. While my skin didn't feel tight in a dry way, it looked tight in a good way, which is a major positive for me as I always have dry skin and that tight feeling is not nice! My pores had diminished in size (and if I may just add, my pores tend to be quite big and noticeable, especially around and on my nose), my complexion had evened out and while not all of my red patches had disappeared, they had certainly calmed down. My skin honestly looked super hydrated and genuinely healthy.
The only downside I found was that I was left with a small amount of staining. I did the mask right before bed so I wasn't too fussed about it and figured it would more than likely come off in the shower in the morning, but I did decide to try a trick someone on here had suggested and applied yoghurt to my dry face and let it set before washing it off. This instantly removed any left over tumeric and I was left with a clear and radiant skin. I'd seriously recommend this for anyone with dry skin, and I've seen recipes whereby changing a few of the ingredients, such as oil or honey to oats can be beneficial for oily skin.
For the cheap cost of all the products, I'd definitely say it's worth it! I think it will 100% be a weekly component of my skincare routine!

6 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/2/2013 10:33:00 PM More reviews by 05geo

I had suffered from acne for many years and though it was finally over when I hit my 20s. Then I got diagnosed with a immune condition and had to start taking steroids everyday. The steroids (prednisone) did so much damage to my skin and left me with many dark scars. I am still on the meds and have had non stop acne for the last 5 years.

A month ago I decided to start the turmeric treatment and it has worked really well in this short time. It has faded a lot of my scars and controls my acne. Ofcourse, my skin is still nowhere near perfect but I will keep using turmeric since it has worked well so far. I have also recently started drinking some turmeric powder with water to stop inflammation from within.

I put on the mask every evening for about a half an hour. I don't notice much yellowing and since it's the last thing I do before bed, the yellowing doesn't bother me at all.

I make my mask with turmeric powder, chick pea flour (besan), lemon juice and yogurt.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/31/2013 11:17:00 AM More reviews by maliciousdelicious

This is supposed to have anti-septic properties but I generally use it to fade acne scars. I mix it with chick pea flour and water but you can use it with either milk / lime juice or honey depending on your skin type. Then I apply it as a mask and wait till it's completely dry. I rinse it lightly so that the mask becomes grainy and gently slough my skin of dead cells.

It leaves my skin glowing, clearer and is absolutely natural. I'm Indian so the turmeric barely stains my skin, but fairer folks might like to tone down the turmeric just a bit. Either way, the stain wears off after a few washes.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/31/2013 10:33:00 AM More reviews by pearlyriver

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Brown

If one is willing to look past the staining effect of turmeric, it's a godsend herb for skincare. I've been struggling eternally with acne and I always turn to turmeric to heal acne and brighten those unsightly spots. If anyone has reservation about the stain, mix turmeric with yogurt, egg white or lemon/lime juice to minimize the yellow residue and use a pair of plastic gloves to brush to apply the mixture. Even if you don't want to be troubled with the turmeric mask, you could still take it internally. I drink a cup of water mixed with curcumin powder and minced ginger (which is also great for its anti-inflammatory effect) every morning before breakfast) and notice a visible improvement in my skin tone. I also find fresh turmeric to work much better than the processed, refined isolated one.