NYX Eyeshadow Base in Skin Tone

3.3

Product - Matte caramel-beige. Smooth and very creamy. Intended as a base, not a primer. I typically don't use a primer, just a base, and this holds up just fine for me for about 8 hrs without primer underneath (YMMV).

Comparisons - A shade deeper than MAC Paint Pot in Soft Ochre and perfect (and by perfect, I mean truly spot-on, dead-on, disappears into my skincolor) match for me (AAB/NC25). MAC Paint Pot in Nubile is a shade deeper and slightly pinker and peachier.

Packaging - No-fuss, white plastic screw-top lid over clear plastic jar.

Overall - Surprising and wonderful drugstore find, and a good value at $6.99. continued >>

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

In all honesty I will say I thought I was getting a primer, I bought it off ebay and it was listed as a "primer", but I certainly can see it as only a base or concealer. I HATE the packaging. I have long fingernails and right away just trying to apply with my fingers was a mess, it got under my nails, and I hated it! So I used the end of my rat tail comb to get a small amount out and put in the palm of my hand. I then have to swirl it around to warm it up to make it easier to apply to lid. I see some people here use it for a concealer for under thier lash line, it creases up horrible if any even gets under my eyes while I am applying it to my eyelid. I find it rather a pain to put on for my makeup routine which I have down to about 30 minutes, more if I am doing a dramatic look, this does hold the brighter colors of shadows, {pinks, rose hues} but I could skip it all together. It may work for some, just now something I want to tangle with every morning for my routine! A tube and softer texture would make it a easier item to use, regardless of what it is.

I am on the fence about this product. I have used this both with and without an eyeshadow primer (I used Victoria's Secret VS PRO Lasting FX Eyeshadow Primer). I have dark under-eye circles, some dark lines along the outer corner of my eyes, and occasionally some pink/redness on my eyelids, and I loved that the skintone shade takes care of my uneven skintone around my eyes. It doubles as a base and a matte concealer.

While it does keep my eye makeup vibrant for hours especially with primer, my eyes tend to feel very heavy toward the end of the day if I wear any eye makeup (my eyes get prematurely tired, if that makes any sense). It particularly felt even heavier on evenings that I was wearing this on my lids all day, and I suspect that it might be the texture of the cream formula, which is somewhat stiff in the jar and a little too drying on the skin over time. It helps to have the lightweight primers I have since they help moisturize my lids, but I do have heavy eyes as is, and really don't want to pile more different products on it and make it feel even heavier.

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

Not to be redundant, but this is a base, not a primer. As other reviewers have mentioned, this evens out my eyelid skin tone, which tends toward red, and I do swipe a bit under my bottom lashes where I can get that red-rimmed look. I usually put this on and then do my eyebrows, giving it a bit of time to 'set' before I put on my shadow. Although it works well enough, I still prefer Clinique's Touch Base, so will purchase that again next time.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Here is my experience with this product: I don't have oily eyelids at al, and have had great results with UDPP, TFSI, NARS e/s base and most recently I've been loving the LORAC Behind the Scenes primer. Looking for a cheap dupe I came across this thing. At first application it seemed to have a lot of promise. A very creamy, blendable formula that neutralized the look of my eyelids. However as the day went on it creased on me pretty badly, something that none of the afore mentioned 4 primers have done. It may have only been $7, but it's going back. I'd rather put that $7 toward LORAC's $20 primer which lasts forever and comes in a squeeze tube.

I really like this product. I'm asian so for those of you who have mono lids, hopefully this will help! I find that this base keeps a hold of my eyeshadow very well for quite a few hours. It does crease, but only after about 5-6 hours. My tip would be to apply urban decay primer potion before applying this and it should work better! I would definitely purchase this again. It is not costly and it's worth what i pay. I recommend it.

Skin: Oily, Dark, Neutral

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Other

I think this is a good eyeshadow base. Everytime I use it, my eyeshadow pops and looks great. I apply this after using udpp and then use my eyeshadow. I've never seen my matte or baked shadows pop until using this. This is definitely a keeper.

Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure

This stuff sucks. In my opinion, it is repackaged concealer. It creases and does nothing to prevent shadows from bleeding and fading. I'm still a fan of NYX though, just not this product.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

Bought this without realising it's a BASE not a primer. Read up and have found it's actually what I need. I use Too Faced Shadow insurance which is colourless on me but NYX base covers my veiny lids for a great base. Good vibrancy improvement, so cheap. I don't love the pots but it's great for the price.

I was looking for a cheap eye shadow base and came across this one. It works good for a short period of time maybe 6 hours top then my eye shadows start to crease and fade. I wouldn't buy it again but for the price its worth it.