December 20, 2014 | 1680 users online

Hair - Philip Kingsley - Elasticizer

rated 5 of 5 on 2/29/2008 3:14:00 AM More reviews by carolynrelihan

I have fine, colour-damaged blonde hair which has a delightful tendency to snarl up, break off, AND become oily quickly. Just lovely. The beauty of this stuff is that it sorts out the snarls and dryness from the damage I've done, but it doesn't turn my head into an oil-slick after use. I love it: I put it on once a week at night, cover with a shower cap, and rinse off the next morning. The only downside is the irritating packaging (a pump on a squat ungainly plastic bottle), which is not particularly effective or ergonomic. It's not cheap, either, but since it works so well and it lasts a long time, that's not really an issue.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/26/2008 8:18:00 AM More reviews by mc82

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I was thinking of getting a Kerastase mask as I have a good experience with the Oleo Relax one, but having heard good things about this treatment, I purchased this instead. I am glad I did as this product is simply incredible! My hair is slightly fine, wavy, a bit frizzy, and often a little dry as well and this really works miracles on my hair. Now my hair is so incredibly soft, silky smooth and lighter. My waves are more defined and it helps with tangles as well. I bought a mini-kit which had this in it so I could try it before buying the full-size as it is quite pricey, but when I ran out, I went and bought the 500ml bottle as this has become an essential product.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/18/2008 8:52:00 PM More reviews by Clarabella3982

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It has worked wonders for my hair, which is permed yearly and ends up being a frizzed nightmare with split ends. But this hair mask is miraculous, I never ever trusted hair masks before having used various brands, but this one really works! One thing is that you've got to be consistent using it as the effect wears off within a week.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/29/2007 2:54:00 PM More reviews by angel290385

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I was surprised to see such good reviews on this product. For me this made little difference to my hair. My hair doesn't feel soft after I use this nor in better condition. I achieve much better results with Aussie 3 minute miracle for a fraction of the price.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/14/2007 12:04:00 PM More reviews by d_E_S_S

This was very, very good. I tried this for the first time last night - I wet my hair, and sprayed my hair with Kerastase Vita Ciment Treatment first, and then layered this on. After it air-dried, I went to bed, and shampoosed/rinsed off this morning.

The result was VERY easily-detangled, very strong hair, maybe 3 strands of broken hair. Can't say it was as soft as Redken All Soft, or as shiny as a lot of the other products out there, but the anti-breakage and anti-frizz was incredible. Contrast this with a LOT (think handful) of broken strands if I just use the Kerastase Vita Ciment and Redken All Soft Treatment Spray.

My hair is very damaged from regular perming, and since it is very fine to begin with, it breaks *extremely* easily, and so I need both a anti-breakage and moisturizing treatment. I have tried many, many, many anti-breakage (protein, keratin) treatments, including Biolustre, Kerastase, and moisturiziing treatments including Redken All Soft, Biolage, Terax, L'Oreal Professional, and Kerastase Aqua Oleum. So, I was very skeptical when I tried the Elasticizer (particularly because I thought the Philip Kingsley Volumizing Shampoo s*cked), and particularly because, looking at the ingredients list (major ingredient is castor oil), I assumed it would be moisturizing at best, but I must say I was rather impressed at how well it performed even as an anti-breakage treatment. of course, it could partly be attributed to the Kerastase as well, but given that i've used that product before and still managed to get a handful of broken strands, I have to credit the bulk of the work to the Elasticizer. I will try it on its own one time and report back though. If it manages to do everything on its own, I would classify it as HG. Fingers crossed!

PS - Because of the castor oil content, I also apply some on my lashes at night, and find that there seems to be more lash growth (volume, not length). For this, there are small 20ml travel size packets, which is easier for detail applications like lashes. Try it!

Update: Have tried exactly the same process 3-4 more times since then. More breakage, but still remarkably less than if I had just used Kerastase Vita Ciment Spray in combination with any other product. Somehow, this has some strengthening properties as well as the moisturizing component. If anything, I think my hair is strong enough that most of the lost strands are coming from shedding (they have hair bulbs attached to the end) than breakage. Pretty good!!

2nd Update: After constant use of 6 months, I think my hair has gotten used to it as I can't seem to repeat the success of the first week - while soft, a lot of breakage. Have moved onto Kerastase Voile Nuit which seems to help with the breakage - impressively so. Will continue to use this for moisture.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/1/2007 3:41:00 PM More reviews by kinksandcoils

I posted this review also on Naturallycurly.com:

Okay so I tried it. My hair is the shiniest it has been in a while! I can't looking in the mirror and swishing my hair around. My ends are also defined today which is one of my hair goals. My ends have been driving me crazy. Very dry and undefined. I'm refusing to trim because I'm trying to grow and need to experiment with my hair products on this issue so I can achieve some length. I need to break that cycle.

This is a pre-shampoo hair mask and it wasn't exactly the most slippery conditioner I have ever used. I wondered if I wasted my money but the results I'm seeing now that it has dried is proof enough. I'll try it a few more times to make sure this isn't some fluke.

Ingredients: Aqua, Ricinus Communis (Castor oil) , Glycerine, Propylene Glycol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Ethyl Hexyl Dimethyl PABA, Olea Europea (Olive Oil), Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetylpryidinium Chloride, Hydrolysed Elastin, Amodiethicone, Trideceth-12, Cetrimonium Chloride, Propylene Glycol, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methyl Paraben, Propyl Paraben

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/8/2007 3:38:00 PM More reviews by hapapower

What a WOW product...I have tried sooooooo many hair treatments in my life and am always skeptical about those that I haven't yet tried. The Elasticizer is rather pricey and I didn't want to like it because I figured that would obliterate my budget. But I used it last night, leaving it in for 20 minutes, then shampooed and conditioned and went to sleep. I woke up this morning with the softest, shiniest, healthy hair...and since my hair is very damaged at the ends, it's a miracle to see it looking so healthy...between this and Ojon Revitalizing Mist, I will be a poor woman, but boy, will my hair look fantastic!!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/6/2006 7:38:00 AM More reviews by pom84

this product is amazing. i have been dyeing and straightening my hair for seven years now. currenly i'm stripping the colour from mahogany (which was previously bleached and dyed red and before that was black) and going light blonde. my hair has taken quite a battering, especially in the last two years. it's quite long - though some of it has had to be cut off due to the bleaching.

the evening before i last went to the salon to get it bleached, i put elasticizer in my hair, put a shower cap on and left it for a couple of hours. after rinsing it out i noticed the difference - my hair was way more manageable. when the hairdresser bleached my hair the next day i was totally shocked to find that when she rinsed it out it wasn't at all tangled. usually it takes two hairdressers to comb it out after a bleaching like that. i can still notice the difference it's made after many washes, so no need to really use this product too often. i'd say once a month. my hair is still tangle free after i wash it. it's expensive, but considering it's a once a month treatment and what it does - it's worth it. it truly is a miracle worker!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/20/2006 4:53:00 PM More reviews by sunshine34

Hair Holy Grail.

I tried this years ago and was kinda "Meh" about it. A few years of straightening, blowdrying and colouring down the line and I now think it works miracles!

My hair wasn't damaged before so I couldn't see a massive difference. Now it is - and I have seen such a change.

My hair is in noticeably gorgeous condition - people comment all the time on how "lucky" I am.

My hairdresser had suggested I should have about 4 inches cut off to make it easier to manage as the ends had "gone", but in its current fabulous state it's just not necessary. I had a tiny trim that's all.

I use it once a week. I use PK Body Building Shampoo & Conditioner, Ojon Serum, and an Ojon treatment once in a while as well. My hair is down to my bra band, highlighted and tinted.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/6/2006 6:04:00 PM More reviews by dawnc

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

ok, i've tried many expensive conditioners to try to undo the damage i've done to my hair with endless colouring and straightening, and this is the only one that made a visible difference. as in, my hair didn't just feel softer and in better condition, it looked like it had rebuilt it, slightly.

my hair felt and looked, velevty after the first time i used this. i use it once a week. if i can, and need to, i leave it in overnight, which works quite well as it's a pre-shampoo treatment. but its almost not necessary, it works just as well if you sit with your hair in a shower cap for 15 minutes.

its very expensive but worth it. a word of warning for those tempted to use it more than the recommended once a week - don't, unless your hair is incredibly thick and dry. i did, and it didn't add anything to the effect of the first application. i would suggest using a cheaper intensive conditioner on your other wash days if you're on a hair repair mission, and save this one for the weekend.