July 31, 2014 | 1940 users online

Eye Shadow - Coastal Scents - 88 color matte palette

rated 4 of 5 on 3/28/2010 9:01:00 AM More reviews by PhoebeStella

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is a fun palette, lots of colors to chose from. Being new to makepu, I bought this palette to build up my base supply of eye shadow and am very happy that I did. I do not reach for this palette for daily use (I use the 28 Neural Palette for that), however, I do use it for evening/night use. There is an eyeshadow for any color you wear and the quality is decent, especillay for what you pay.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/25/2010 4:02:00 PM More reviews by alexia42289

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

First of all I am no makeup genius, I was inspired by youtube gurus to start getting into makeup. As an African American it can be super frustrating to find products with enough pigmentation to actually show up on our skin, so the first makeup I ever got was by M.A.C. Now don't get me wrong I love M.A.C but it can be expensive. So through searching for other makeup that won't kill my wallet, I came across Coastal Scents, When I saw the price I had to take off my glasses and clean them because the price was so cheap I couldn't believe it!. So after researching some more to see if it was worth the 19.95 I paid I went ahead and purchased the Coastal scents 88 Matte palette, which I received today. I honestly have to say it is worth it. The colors are highly pigmented and they show up extremely well, you get just about every color there is which is great because you can play around with so many different colors, which is always fun!. Although the only thing is they pots are so tiny about the same exact size of an actual dime. So unless you use the same color often then you won't have a problem with running out of your favorite any time soon. So overall it's great, just don't forget to get a primer which can help your shadow lasts a lot longer, because the colors do fade after a while, but I should haven't to tell you ladies that?! haha. Good product that I will purchase again.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/25/2010 11:25:00 AM More reviews by careypiper

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

After hearing all the rave reviews on these palettes I had to get some. This one was the first that I purchased. Variation of color chooses is Good, I didn't want to fall in love with any particular shade because the pans are so small and won't be able to purchase that one color in a larger single pot. I'm not one for wearing bright colors so I would only use this for something like Halloween, but with inexpensive singles available it would be easier to just purchase the colors I need and I would have plenty to test out my look and even wear it multiple times.

31 out of 88 shades are neutrals so you pretty much probably already own something close and better. The neutrals in first two column are mostly mattes (the bad mattes you hear about) and just slight variations of each other in Warm Tones. The neutral in the last two columns are also Warm Toned with only 8 Cool Toned (3) silver (1) black (4) taupe; these were all pretty much shimmers.

So with almost 50% off the palette being a complete waste, and your left with a few interesting chooses. As I said there were plenty to choose from but never the one I was looking for. There seemed to be more Cool Toned colors and Warm Toned Neutrals, also for a Matte palette there was way to many shimmers.

My palette shipped with a few broken shadows so traveling with this is less then ideal for personal use. I would not have purchased this item if I saw it in person and I would not recommend this to a friend.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/25/2010 9:30:00 AM More reviews by blackholes

I love this palette! You can find most of the colours you might want to wear for an evening out/day at work or even a nude look. I bought it after watching Michelle Phan's sunset eyes video.. and I don't think I need to go for another eyeshadow palette for a long time. I would definitely recommend this product.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/23/2010 12:24:00 PM More reviews by simera2371

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I got this pallete a couple years ago, and i have to say its great, perect for beginners, there is every color you can imagine in this pallete. The only thing i do not like is some colors are chalky. But it is really inexpensive. Def would recommend.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/20/2010 12:02:00 AM More reviews by jdianne86

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I've been seeing reviews on this product for a while and decided that having 88 eyeshadows in ONE palette with pretty bright colors is just a win-win situation. I didn't get the Coastal Scents brand though. I found mine off Ebay from a seller in Hong Kong for about $12! That also included shipping. The only problem was that I had to wait a month for shipment and I was nervous that the shadows might all be broken, but mine arrived in mint condition! :) Anyway, like others have said.. some colors apply chalkier than others, but come on.. more than have of this palette has intense BAM-IN-YOUR-FACE highly pigmented colors. The pans are small, again like others have stated, but a little goes a long way! I can create so many looks it's not even funny. I can have a "natural" look, go more sophisticated for a "work" look, be a little bolder and do a smokey eye, or if I'm feeling color-happy [80% of the time b/c I'm not a dull-color plain Jane type of girl LOL], I'll blend some colors and create a unique look. Your possibilities are endless with this palette. I don't own the shimmer palette and probably won't get it b/c shimmer shadows tend to crease on me more than matte.. weird? These are long-wearing over my Mary Kay Eye Primer. I can do a 10-12 hr. day and have minimal creasing! So if you're leaning towards getting this palette, just go ahead and cave in. You know you want to.. so just get it over with. :P It's worth every penny and would I pay more? You bet. Would I repurchase? I put yes, but I probably don't need to. Hello... 88 colors?! I don't think I'll even use these up during my lifetime [I have other palettes/shadows too]! :)

rated 4 of 5 on 3/18/2010 12:16:00 PM More reviews by Clythie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Other

88 colours to choose from in this very inexpensive but very pigmented palette. I have to admit I love this palette. Just opening it makes makes me feel happy, all those bright colours. Yes some aren't as pigmented as others but around 75% is very highpigmented and the fallout is minimum (this also depends on how much you use and how you apply it). The downside to this product, I find that some colours are harder to blend and don't stay as well as others (no perticular colour).

For $20 dollars (17) it is a bargain. Especially if you have a tight budget this is the ideal palette. Try out, play around with this palette. You can create some amazing looks because all the colours are overseeable and ordered in colour. My fave's are the purples and greens. This palette has some nice nudes/highlighters and browns - practically every colour you could want!

The only downside (just like the warm palette) is the packaging, the lock is very fragile and some pans do fall out of the spot.

But overall this is a great palette to have!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/16/2010 6:00:00 PM More reviews by w4nnie

I am actually writing about the BHcosmetics 88 palette it's basically the same product as coastal scents, but different packaging, BH has a glossy cover that stands by its self and also a mirror.

I have the MATTE and SHIMMER
absolutely love it, very pigmented
Fair price, great packaging no broken shadows
All the colors you would ever need

I did a YouTube review for it and you can see the colors more clearly:

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/14/2010 11:39:00 PM More reviews by ju1i4nn3

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

If you're looking for an all matte color palette - this isn't the one for you. I would say that 1/3 of the colors are shimmery - definitely not matte. Nevertheless, this is an excellent palette for beginners. The colors are gorgeous and highly pigmented.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/14/2010 5:14:00 PM More reviews by dokibaesil

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This product to me is...okay I guess.
I'm an African American female and shades of purple don't work well for me at all because a lot of the shades with either make my eyes look like I have dark circles or they have no contrast against my skin making them barely visible. So when I saw this palette with 10+ shades of purples and magentas, I was excited! I did several looks with the purples- neither worked for me with or without a white base and primer.
I never do neutral eyes (only if I'm going somewhere real quick) so the nude tones didn't really appeal to me though I thought I could do something with them anyway. The browns on right are so nude on me, except like 2 shades, that there's not point in using them. The neutrals on the left which appear to be perfect shades for highlights made my brow bones look ashy.

So I dodged those colors thinking that the others would be a ton better. Some of the pinks and orange have no contrast on my skin so they pretty much don't show on my skin. I noticed that the paler shades of any the colors barely show up and if they did, they were pretty much white. A lot of the colors like the yellow and teal are chalky so when applying I'd get a lot of fall-out, even throughout the day (and this is with a good sticky base applied underneath).

I counted how many colors I use from the palette: I only use 16 out of the 88 colors those of which are the blues, greens, teals, and the black. I wear these colors a lot and get most of them from the palette. But now that I'm getting eyeshadows from other companies, I find myself using this product less and less

The only thing I like about this product is the colors I do use and the fact that it's small and easy to travel with.

This is all from personal experience and I'm 100% sure that the palette is great for other people but not for me ):