November 21, 2014 | 1044 users online

Skincare - Face - Grapeseed Oil

rated 5 of 5 on 9/22/2012 10:58:00 AM More reviews by Katedutch

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

HOLY GRAIL of everything & anything in need of moisture. Seriously, it sounds like a crazy claim for a product you purchase in a super market, but it's the most versatile liquid around. A little background info on yours truly (if this sounds like you, you obviously would do well by this product): I have extremely sensitive skin; if I rub my face or neck, it's instantly red. I'm prone to break outs, get t-zone oil which likes to trade off with t-zone alligator (you know, a beautifully scaly nose?). I have a hard time keeping my skin balanced, & unfortunately sticking with a skincare routine for months or years doesn't always do the trick. Life could be worse, but I complain anyway. Enough about me, onward with the grapeseed.

I heard that grapeseed oil is good for sensitive skin, so I gave it the ol' college try. I used a small amount on my face after cleansing as a moisturizer twice a day. Also, twice a week I mix a few tbsp of the oil with a tbsp of sugar & gently exfoliate my face (works great for exfoliating the body, too!) . Within a week or so my face began to clear up. I don't mean "OMG check out my flawless face!", more of a realistic "check out the downgraded pimple patch". Yeah, occasionally I look like a boy going through puberty, what's it to you? Anyway, three weeks in and skin looks healthier, pimples are practically nonexistent. Skin is soft, tone nice and even - and best of all, I don't want to itch my face off (my normal reaction to products my sensitive skin doesn't care for).

A couple other uses - I use the "sugar scrub" mentioned above on my body and lips once a week and my chapped lips are perfect and body hasn't had any violent sensitive skin reactions (moisture really does the trick).

Last use I've found, hot oil mask for hair. Cleanse hair with a deep cleansing shampoo (or baking soda, which also strips product build up), put a little grapeseed oil in a sandwich bag (enough to cover all your hair) and immerse in warm/hot water for a few minutes, until warm but not burn-your-scalp-off hot (because who wants that?). While hair is wet, apply oil from tips of your hair to scalp. Wrap hair in a towel and wait 20 minutes to 2 hours, depending on hair type or time you have available. Rinse out. I then sleep with the rinsed out wet hair and wait to shampoo til the morning, but it's all up to you and the amount of time you have available. Shampoo & condition as you normally would. Seriously - hair is INCREDIBLY soft.

23 out of 24 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/19/2012 8:02:00 AM More reviews by aessop

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I used this on my face one night and woke up with dry flaky skin. I thought to myself: What the fudge???? Isn't this supposed to be a light hydrating oil? So you'll be surprised to learn that I'm giving it 5 lippies. And the reason is because after getting some unsightly huge zits on my chin, I had a brain wave and decided to use the oil on them. I applied a drop on a cotton bud and dabbed the oil on my zits. Within 2-3 days they had dried up completely. I was both amazed and impressed. So for those of you who feel this oil is too drying, use it as a zit zapper instead. Update 02 Oct 2012: I've found other great uses for this oil. I now use it in place of jojoba oil as a makeup remover. Also although I find it drying used on its own or in large quantities, I mix a tiny quantity of this with much larger quantities of sweet almond oil and apply it with moist finger tips to my face and eye area immediately after showering. I did this for two weeks and my skin was so even and nourished. I definitely saw even more of an improvement once I added a bit of the grapeseed oil. The perpetual redness of my face gradually faded and I hadn't had a single zit. I then decided to try decleor aromaessence d'orient serum. I've been on it for three days but already I can see that my skin just doesn't look as good as when I using a plain face oil mix. But that's for another post. So in conclusion if you find this too drying used on its own and still want to reap its benefits, mix a bit of it with the oil that best works for your face. I mix mine in an 80:20 ratio. You can decide. UPDATE 13.11.2012: Tried it as a makeup remover on a moistened cotton padcand it just melted my eyeliner and mascara right away. Absolutely lovely!

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/16/2012 3:26:00 PM More reviews by crazytlccool

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

AH-MAZING!
I was hesitant to use grapeseed oil, because my skin seemed like it needed moisture! Kept going back and forth between jojoba and almond oil, but felt like neither could really penetrate, just sit on top of my skin. Almond oil was great after exfoliating, but in hindsight I see it was just getting me by UNTIL!... I finally went ahead and got grapeseed oil. Again, very iffy! The first time I put it on I was touching my face like "oh my god, this is it!" Sometimes with face routines I go through with it thinking meh meh, I haven't had good skin in awhile so I probably don't know how its supposed to feel. Really, this is so natural, lightweight, it sucks right into the skin, and did I say it feels natural? I think its actually clearing my skin! Just two drops in my hand, rub them together, and lightly *brush* (not rub) throughout the face.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/11/2012 6:33:00 AM More reviews by GreyHuman

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Grapeseed Oil is excellent, very moisturizing. Has great skin benefits(google it). The reason why some or any oil "clogs pores" is because of your pores. I would get clogged pores and wonder why? But than I read online it's my pores and not Oils. So I purchased Salicylic Acid on Ebay 20% and after the first peel days after my pores weren't so clogged, they were a little bit, I will not lie but they were decreasing with the second peel it kept decreasing once again. So yeah I figured out the Olive Oil(I used that before Grapeseed Oil) wasn't clogging my pores, my pores were already clogged.

Buy some Salicylic Acid 20%(for beginners and do not over apply the Acid or you'll have burned skin) on Ebay and you will see the difference. And will be able to benefit from Grapeseed Oil and other Organic Oils.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/15/2012 1:48:00 AM More reviews by a1nikki

I've been using the grapeseed oil (cooking oil form) on my skin for almost two months now and i gotta say it really works on my skin!!
I have a combination skin and before this, i have a lot of pimples, black-head and white-head and it's very hard to get a clear skin even using high-end quality product. Recently, I went to get my facial treatment (monthly routine) and the beautician told me that my skin has improved alot. She said she is able to squeeze the black-head and white-head easily and my face is less oily!
I've been massaging the oil on my skin every night before i went to sleep and i will keep this routine up because it keeps the pimples away, balance my skin and it is also known as anti-aging remedy.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/7/2012 1:23:00 PM More reviews by ShannonEmily123

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

LOVE THIS!!! I have grapeseed oil which is used for massaging from my local Holland & Barratt but still use it on my face. I have mild rosacea with a broken blood vessel on the end of my nose and one on the outside of my nostril,i also have a few small ones on my cheeks. Applying grapeseed oil everyday for a week only on my affected areas has helped fade them so much. The broken capliiaries in my nose are already fading and i don't even need makeup to cover them anymore! As for the ones on my cheeks,they are completely gone and my blotchy,patchy red rosacea cheeks now look like natural pink cheeks! I am amazed,although my rosacea isn't cured it looks like i am naturally rosy which looks beautiful on my pale skin :) I have had no more blocked pores then i normally would have from this oil,which suprised me considering i have oily skin which is really bad for blocked pores. Great!!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/27/2012 5:20:00 PM More reviews by MadchenRogue

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I buy Grape Seed Oil, but the cooking kind. I have combo oily skin, with the occasional pimple and post marks. When you are in your 30s, its hard to muster the fact that your skin is changing, aging. Now, I have seen every expensive skin on the market (seen, not used). Call me cheap, but I don't want to pay 80$ for a cream full of additives. I want something pure, not diluted. I read about the health benefits/skin benefits of grape seed oil. My only regret was not using it during my mid 20s. For the past 4-5 months of using my grape seed oil around my eyes, crow's feet, browbone and lashes every night before I go to sleep. It literally has made my skin look as if I was still in my mid 20s. This is not an exaggeration, its "swear to God" truth. My lashes were stiff and lifeless. Now My lashes have life and I even seen more lashes grow. Any little wrinkle I had under my eyes, have been smoothed out . Now the big question: Does it make me break out? On occasion, yes. But not every time. and it is not a full on zit fest, it would be one small red bump. And it would always be above my brow area, never on my face. But with me, I have made it a habit to use it every night before I go to sleep. The very few times I forgot to use it, You can see it under the eye area and crows feet. It looks pronounced (the wrinkles). So, for me grape seed oil is for life. I donít mind needing to pour the oil is one of those travel size containers. the benefits outweigh the small inconvenience of pouring it to a smaller jar and the occasional pimple i get. Get the oil from the cooking section of your supermarket, don't buy the small overpriced ones you find in the health stores. Do not wait...get this oil. Its a beauty staple. One more thing. IT WORKS WONDERS for chapped elbows and heels.

17 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/27/2012 7:16:00 AM More reviews by Papilion

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

Wow, just WOW.
It's been around a year since I've jumped into natural skincare, but somehow it's still easy to be lured into the fantasies large companies feed you. For the past month or so I've been dabbling in those "vintage skincare" items, especially Nivea products. Don't get me wrong, they aren't bad, and not rip-offs.
Then I began to breakout on my forehead and even on my nose and chin, which almost NEVER happens. While I never had perfectly clear skin (whyyyyy) the only breakouts I usually got were small, barely noticeable whiteheads, and only on my forehead. I've been sleeping and eating well, exercising, all that stuff, so I could only attribute it to my skin care.
Last night I was too busy socializing to sleep well and today my face looked dull, uneven, and so much older. I had been using shea butter during winter but ditched it for Nivea Soft as it's now summer (and Hong Kong is really a place to experience global warming), forgetting grapeseed oil. Grapeseed oil, the topic I seemed to have digressed from, was the first natural/oil product I EVER used, and I remember waking up from it with NO excess oil on my skin (combination skin) yet left it supple and just SO smooth/soft/glowing/bright/justwonderful.
In desperation this afternoon (fueled by recent unpleasant memories of people assuming I was 5+ years older) I cleansed my face in the middle of the day and patted grapeseed oil on it. Or rather, slathered, really. (I also spray drinking water on a couple times to assist absorption--I highly recommend this especially if you feel the oil is only sitting on your skin and making it oily and greasy.)
I had a six sense (or maybe it was my skin talking) that I had finally done something right. TWO HOURS LATER, my skin is glowing! soft! calmed! even-toned! beautiful! radiant! -------
I am stunned. Silly, silly me is kicking myself for leaving grapeseed oil, the perfect summer moisturizer. In two hours I swear I look five years younger, e.g. my actual age, my face is GLOWING (not the same as shiny), and I am glancing at my BB creams/foundations rather smugly. I've always been the type to feel smug when not needing something. EDIT: A while later, about a week or so, my skin looks better than ever. The breakouts have ceased and even when I have one or two larger ones, they go away very soon. Also, I recently moved to a much drier place and found that my skin out of all my friends (who use commercial products) and fellow travelers alone stayed moisturized and supple with no dryness. I think grapeseed oil regulates your oil production as well as really "fixing" your skin. A true winner.

Oh look, a huge essay. Whoops! But I was so incredulous to such improvement in 120 minutes that I had to scramble on to makeupalley to gush.
In short, grapeseed oil is lightweight and ideal for summer. It does not break me out, and I actually believe that it calms down my skin and reduces the severity of zits. I use about 3 drops for my face, cocentrating on my dryer cheeks. DO pat on a little water, oils need water to absorb well. For those with dryer skins I suggest adding an extra drop of avocado or rosehip seed oil, which are my winter favourites. Oilier skins can also try out grapeseed oil because it's really quite light, and naturally I recommend this to all combination skin beauties (sufferers), being one myself.

13 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/22/2012 5:17:00 PM More reviews by AndreaJunelle

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

For reference I'm 30yrs old with very oily, somewhat acne prone but very clog-prone, fair but quite un-even skin. I purchased NOW Food's Grapeseed Oil from Amazon.com for approx. $9 USD. For years I'd been using Pond's Cold Cream as a m/u remover (has a high mineral oil content), then several months ago after reading raves on the skin care board, tried Baby Oil(mineral oil+fragrance) for cleansing w/great results so looked into more oils & found that Grapeseed was the highest reccomended for oily skin & realized that my previous HG cleanser (C.O.Bigelow Oily Skin Cleanser, now discontinued) had grapeseed oil as one of the ingredients, so I figured my skin could tolerate it well & I was right! :D I really couldn't be happier, I feel it "cleanses" my skin just as well as the mineral oil(baby oil), but the difference is the "after" effect - afterwards my skin appears much more matte, but still "glowy" & that's exactally what I'm looking for! &I have to say, since switching to oil cleansing, the clogged pores I had on the sides of my face have gone away, my m/u applies so much better, & I find myself even able to go w/out foundation some days (which is something I never thought I'd be able to say!) My routine is as follows:
A.M.- cleanse w/Kose Softymo Deep Oil Cleanser(is a good, gentle, but basic oil cleanser, I like it for A.M. use b/c it's not the greatest at removing m/u) followed by Grapeseed Oil on a cotton ball, no toner, no moisturizer needed, if going out or applying m/u though, will apply Eucerin Everyday Protectino SPF30 P.M.-Baby Oil for m/u and/or ss removal, cleanse w/Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser,then my AHA treatments to help w/my uneven skintone, currently using Neutrogena Pore Refining Toner & Olay Regenerist Night Elixir. Some may think this routine is a bit *overkill* but it's what works for ME, personally. & I really can't believe the difference just a couple months has made in my skin's clarity as well as clogged pores. Highly reccomend :)
*UPDATE 9/8/12*
I simply wanted to update that I'm STILL loving GSO -it's the perfect oil for me & my skin is STILL radiant, clear, & happy! The only thing that HAS changed is my daily routine (posted above) I've since then cut the Kose Deep Oil Cleanser from my routine as I *think* the rice bran oil in it was causing some little whiteheads :( Don't let that keep YOU away from rice bran oil though, bc I've seen MANY on the SCB who have had really nice results with it :) It's just not right for me. -I also apply grapeseed oil straight to my face w/my hands now (vs. the cotton ball I used to use -I've gotten pretty good at getting it from my hands to my face without making an oily mess everywhere Lol :D)
Otherwise, my routine is prettymuch accurate to what I'm still doing & having great results with. Baby Oil & GSO have completely balanced out my oil production. I no longer wake up every morning looking like I have an oil slick on my face (esp.my Tzone!) -As an oily/acne-prone skinned gal, I was told my entire life to stay AWAY from oils, to look for products that are "oil free" &"made for oily skin" but to be honest, oils have been the best thing for me, and *most* products targeted twards oily skin only ended up drying me out, making my skin produce more oil & therefore causing more breakouts :( It's a viscious cycle that I personally was stuck in for years.. If you have oily skin & feel like you've tried everything & have nothing to lose, & already tried it all, I'd definately reccomend GrapeSeed Oil. & I hope this MASSIVE review will help those of you out there :) If you have any personal questions regarding GSO please feel free to PM me, I'd love to help!

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/15/2012 9:22:00 PM More reviews by NeonLolly

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

AMAZING!!! i use couple of drops and smooth over my face. It has made my face clearer and smooth, i have noticed when i do stop using it i get my little bumbs and roughness so it must work.