August 20, 2014 | 1952 users online

Skincare - Face - Grapeseed oil

rated 5 of 5 on 7/27/2012 7:16:00 AM More reviews by Papilion

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

Wow, just WOW.
It's been around a year since I've jumped into natural skincare, but somehow it's still easy to be lured into the fantasies large companies feed you. For the past month or so I've been dabbling in those "vintage skincare" items, especially Nivea products. Don't get me wrong, they aren't bad, and not rip-offs.
Then I began to breakout on my forehead and even on my nose and chin, which almost NEVER happens. While I never had perfectly clear skin (whyyyyy) the only breakouts I usually got were small, barely noticeable whiteheads, and only on my forehead. I've been sleeping and eating well, exercising, all that stuff, so I could only attribute it to my skin care.
Last night I was too busy socializing to sleep well and today my face looked dull, uneven, and so much older. I had been using shea butter during winter but ditched it for Nivea Soft as it's now summer (and Hong Kong is really a place to experience global warming), forgetting grapeseed oil. Grapeseed oil, the topic I seemed to have digressed from, was the first natural/oil product I EVER used, and I remember waking up from it with NO excess oil on my skin (combination skin) yet left it supple and just SO smooth/soft/glowing/bright/justwonderful.
In desperation this afternoon (fueled by recent unpleasant memories of people assuming I was 5+ years older) I cleansed my face in the middle of the day and patted grapeseed oil on it. Or rather, slathered, really. (I also spray drinking water on a couple times to assist absorption--I highly recommend this especially if you feel the oil is only sitting on your skin and making it oily and greasy.)
I had a six sense (or maybe it was my skin talking) that I had finally done something right. TWO HOURS LATER, my skin is glowing! soft! calmed! even-toned! beautiful! radiant! -------
I am stunned. Silly, silly me is kicking myself for leaving grapeseed oil, the perfect summer moisturizer. In two hours I swear I look five years younger, e.g. my actual age, my face is GLOWING (not the same as shiny), and I am glancing at my BB creams/foundations rather smugly. I've always been the type to feel smug when not needing something. EDIT: A while later, about a week or so, my skin looks better than ever. The breakouts have ceased and even when I have one or two larger ones, they go away very soon. Also, I recently moved to a much drier place and found that my skin out of all my friends (who use commercial products) and fellow travelers alone stayed moisturized and supple with no dryness. I think grapeseed oil regulates your oil production as well as really "fixing" your skin. A true winner.

Oh look, a huge essay. Whoops! But I was so incredulous to such improvement in 120 minutes that I had to scramble on to makeupalley to gush.
In short, grapeseed oil is lightweight and ideal for summer. It does not break me out, and I actually believe that it calms down my skin and reduces the severity of zits. I use about 3 drops for my face, cocentrating on my dryer cheeks. DO pat on a little water, oils need water to absorb well. For those with dryer skins I suggest adding an extra drop of avocado or rosehip seed oil, which are my winter favourites. Oilier skins can also try out grapeseed oil because it's really quite light, and naturally I recommend this to all combination skin beauties (sufferers), being one myself.

13 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/22/2012 5:17:00 PM More reviews by AndreaJunelle

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

For reference I'm 30yrs old with very oily, somewhat acne prone but very clog-prone, fair but quite un-even skin. I purchased NOW Food's Grapeseed Oil from Amazon.com for approx. $9 USD. For years I'd been using Pond's Cold Cream as a m/u remover (has a high mineral oil content), then several months ago after reading raves on the skin care board, tried Baby Oil(mineral oil+fragrance) for cleansing w/great results so looked into more oils & found that Grapeseed was the highest reccomended for oily skin & realized that my previous HG cleanser (C.O.Bigelow Oily Skin Cleanser, now discontinued) had grapeseed oil as one of the ingredients, so I figured my skin could tolerate it well & I was right! :D I really couldn't be happier, I feel it "cleanses" my skin just as well as the mineral oil(baby oil), but the difference is the "after" effect - afterwards my skin appears much more matte, but still "glowy" & that's exactally what I'm looking for! &I have to say, since switching to oil cleansing, the clogged pores I had on the sides of my face have gone away, my m/u applies so much better, & I find myself even able to go w/out foundation some days (which is something I never thought I'd be able to say!) My routine is as follows:
A.M.- cleanse w/Kose Softymo Deep Oil Cleanser(is a good, gentle, but basic oil cleanser, I like it for A.M. use b/c it's not the greatest at removing m/u) followed by Grapeseed Oil on a cotton ball, no toner, no moisturizer needed, if going out or applying m/u though, will apply Eucerin Everyday Protectino SPF30 P.M.-Baby Oil for m/u and/or ss removal, cleanse w/Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser,then my AHA treatments to help w/my uneven skintone, currently using Neutrogena Pore Refining Toner & Olay Regenerist Night Elixir. Some may think this routine is a bit *overkill* but it's what works for ME, personally. & I really can't believe the difference just a couple months has made in my skin's clarity as well as clogged pores. Highly reccomend :)
*UPDATE 9/8/12*
I simply wanted to update that I'm STILL loving GSO -it's the perfect oil for me & my skin is STILL radiant, clear, & happy! The only thing that HAS changed is my daily routine (posted above) I've since then cut the Kose Deep Oil Cleanser from my routine as I *think* the rice bran oil in it was causing some little whiteheads :( Don't let that keep YOU away from rice bran oil though, bc I've seen MANY on the SCB who have had really nice results with it :) It's just not right for me. -I also apply grapeseed oil straight to my face w/my hands now (vs. the cotton ball I used to use -I've gotten pretty good at getting it from my hands to my face without making an oily mess everywhere Lol :D)
Otherwise, my routine is prettymuch accurate to what I'm still doing & having great results with. Baby Oil & GSO have completely balanced out my oil production. I no longer wake up every morning looking like I have an oil slick on my face (esp.my Tzone!) -As an oily/acne-prone skinned gal, I was told my entire life to stay AWAY from oils, to look for products that are "oil free" &"made for oily skin" but to be honest, oils have been the best thing for me, and *most* products targeted twards oily skin only ended up drying me out, making my skin produce more oil & therefore causing more breakouts :( It's a viscious cycle that I personally was stuck in for years.. If you have oily skin & feel like you've tried everything & have nothing to lose, & already tried it all, I'd definately reccomend GrapeSeed Oil. & I hope this MASSIVE review will help those of you out there :) If you have any personal questions regarding GSO please feel free to PM me, I'd love to help!

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/15/2012 9:22:00 PM More reviews by NeonLolly

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

AMAZING!!! i use couple of drops and smooth over my face. It has made my face clearer and smooth, i have noticed when i do stop using it i get my little bumbs and roughness so it must work.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/12/2012 3:05:00 AM More reviews by ch4n

I have this in unlisted brand , in the form of cooking oil. I read about the benefits of grapeseed oil somewhere some time ago,so when I saw this grapeseed oil in the food section, I thought 'What the heck, let's give it a try'; if it won't work for my face, it'll do good in the salad bowl, so to speak.

At first I really don't know where to put oil-time in my beauty regime, but *lightbulb* 'Cleansing oil!'. So I use this kitchen-y cooking oil as eye makeup cleansing oil. It works perfectly. Then one lazy day I use some drops of this oil and massage it onto my face, and have a warm&wet washcloth to cover my greasy face; let it cool then wipe the leftover oil with clean, warm & wet washcloth.
been suffering from cystic acne, white heads, black heads, milia, hormone acnes during PMS, you name it, even to my late 20-s and until now (i'm 30 btw); i never thought an OIL will put my skin into this state.It never gives me breaks out, just slight shiny look on my forehead -which the solution is a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar + a teaspoon of water; wipe it on and it's done. smooth and supple skin all day without any shine, clogged pore, or whatever my problem were.

I use it twice a day, in the morning before day regime and night before the night regime. and so long bottled-manufactured-commercials-cleansers, i've found the love of my life!

will I buy it again?why NOT?it's dirt cheap, and it works!

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/4/2012 10:11:00 PM More reviews by sroberts89436

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have used the napa valley naturals food grade grapeseed oil for 3 months. I think it works best as a pre-cleanse to take off heavy makeup and your skin is so smooth and clear after. I tried using it as an everyday moisturizer and it worked for a while as it is not greasy and controls oil but it makes skin feel tighter and after a while cause some acne. It smells good and I really like it for cleansing and as an after sun balm.
Update: I have noticed if you use this on spider veins it makes them fade.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/10/2012 8:10:00 PM More reviews by KUALA

This is a drying oil for my face. It soaks in very well but then my face is dry. My skin type is normal-combination, with my t-zone being the slightly greasy part but it was bone dry after using this.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/12/2012 11:52:00 AM More reviews by LolaBrw

Grapeseed oil is so worth the price, especially when used properly. I've mainly used this for my dry hair, but I love the fact that it's great for skin too, so if any oil transfered to my skin, it wouldn't be awful. In fact, I've learned that grapeseed oil is the one oil I can use on my sensitive skin without it breaking out at all. It works great for protecting my hair. The only thing with this particular oil is that when heated up with a straightening iron or a curling iron, my hair almost literally smells like grilled cheese! I shouldn't be to surprised being that you can eat and cook with grapeseed oil. I'm not crazy about the smell, at least on ME, but I considering it's the only negative thing about it, I'm still using it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/1/2012 11:59:00 PM More reviews by baldymonster

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I never, ever would have thought to put cooking oil on my skin had it not been for MUA, so props to everyone here in the review section for convincing me. My skin looks amazing because of this. I'm prone to acne when I don't use drying treatments, and I used to think that acne-free but dull was the best my face could look. Happily, I was wrong about that. After using grapeseed oil for two months, I am absolutely glowing and I've even thrown away my conventional face moisturizer in favor of just the oil. No regrets.

Here's how I apply it: At night, after showering, I dab a tiny bit on a cotton ball, swab over my clean face, and use the other side to wipe up any excess. That's it. I look like a greaseball for about an hour, but when I wake up in the morning it's like my skin drank a glass of nectar or something. It's just radiant and supple and dewey, and believe me, I never thought I'd be describing my face with those adjectives. I will never be without this again. The fact that it's orders of magnitude cheaper than the cheapest face lotion is just icing on the cake. Once again I'm indebted to MUA and its ratings system. I would never have had the courage to use this as a moisturizer for my face if it hadn't been for the overwhelming consensus. Thank you!

15 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/18/2012 5:39:00 PM More reviews by blondchick12

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have been using grapeseed oil for about a month now and so far I am pretty happy with it. I use it as a precleanse and altho I feel it rinses fairly clean, I need to follow up with either another cleanser or a toner to ensure I don't break out. I haven't seen any huge differences in my skin from using this but I *think* its helping with my jawline acne.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/10/2012 1:57:00 PM More reviews by Sileny

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

This is a review for NOW brand grapeseed oil. My doctor put me on spironolactone to help rid me of hormonal acne, and one of the effects is decreased oil production. While that is fantastic (normally, my skin is horribly oily), it meant that my current moisturizer isn't enough. I didn't feel like buying a night cream because my acne meds are costing me a fortune as it is. I have oils I bought for OCM for makeup removal, so I decided to put a couple drops in my hand and massage it into my skin. Seriously, don't use more than 2-3 drops because too much can overwhelm your skin and you might break out, which is the lesson I learned from using shea butter. It's easy to go overboard. And make sure your skin absorbs it because if it just sits on your skin, you might breakout because your pores are covered. Of course, this depends on your skin type, so try the smallest bottle you can find before getting a large one.

What's really nice is that it's a light oil that my skin absorbed really well and it felt a little velvety on the skin. I followed with my usual light moisturizer with SPF and I've had no issues with breakouts or blackheads. It did leave a sheen, but I used a little rice powder to fix that.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No