September 2, 2014 | 984 users online

Top/Base Coats - Essie - Matte About You

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/29/2010 7:03:00 PM More reviews by kewlhat

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love this stuff. It almost instantly mattifies your nail polish. Application is a dream and it dries incredibly fast. Would definitely repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/4/2010 4:42:00 PM More reviews by sally38

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Well I've never heard anything negative about this product before coming here, but I know that it is one thing I love and I always recommend it to my friends. The application is good, and even if the quality is not great after a few days it is FAR better than OPI and other brands' matte polishes. I think that it is just much smarter to buy the basic polishes and then use this on top. Also, about shimmer I don't know, but on my OPI Designer Series polish this looks AMAZING!

rated 3 of 5 on 4/14/2010 7:53:00 PM More reviews by Koo

DON'T BUY ANY MATTE NAIL POLISH - BUY THIS INSTEAD!

Yep, it is that good. Mine was cheap, $10(AUS) including postage all the way from America. And considering this is cheaper than buying a single matte OPI polish - I am already in front. AND IT WORKS.

I did my research and read every review on this website and most on the net first. Heard good things - bought the polish. Awesome!

Despite others saying it may rub off after a couple of days & you need to re-apply, this is still better than my matte "You Don't Know Jacques" from OPI which chips in 1 day. This is good anyway because I love to have some "me time" and paint my nails and see it change again in a day or two.

It dries very quickly and it just what is says. Looks like a creamy top coat in the bottle but dries clear of course.

Love this very much. Especially coz it was sooo cheap.

**REVISION** - since using this a few times, the polish around the neck of the bottle has dried a bit, and now seems to be leaving little white specks in the polish.

By the third time using it, little white specs of dried polish appeared on my nails, but only once dried. This is very annoying, especially with dark nail polish. Looks tacky :( so I have reduced my 5 star rating to 3.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/12/2010 3:32:00 AM More reviews by monicaking77

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Simply put: a brilliant product. Instantly doubles any nail polish lover's collection. I love it over bright blues and greens. Dries super fast, doesn't chip easily, and gives a beautiful matte-satin finish. HG.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/29/2010 8:12:00 AM More reviews by iramasson

Its so fun to use! Suddenly I have all these looks I can do with polishes that I am used to. I love this on dark colors as it makes them look more subdued. It dries super quick and wears as well as my other top coats. A definite must to try!!! Very expensive in South Africa so I don't think I will buy again... but otherwise I would.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/19/2010 4:20:00 PM More reviews by FGM

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is Great for Men! Nice and Matte!!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/15/2010 9:37:00 PM More reviews by violetsky

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Green

So far out of all the matte top coats I've researched, this is the one with the most positive reviews. And it's also a pretty good price. Although I didn't use a base coat, it did make them matte and it dried pretty quickly. It's beginning to get satiny though after a few hours. This is an addition but really just put another coat over it.

I did learn over time though that when using this, wait for your polish (if it is MAC polish or Urban Outfitters polish or just extra thick) to dry more or it the color will leak on the Matte About You's brush. Also, beware of frequent chipping.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/12/2010 9:50:00 PM More reviews by KathyWong

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Hands down the BEST matter top coat there is around.

I think everyone should own this, just because it's so versatile.
I purchased this after working on a shoot with Miley Cyrus, whose manicurist insisted that matte polishes would be the new IT sensation (this was about a year ago). When I heard Essie made a matte top coat, I picked one up from ULTA... and boy was it worth the $8.

Truth: This matte coat looks great on darker nail polishes. I tried them on top of baby pinks and instead of looking chic, it looked dead. Great for maroons, greys, dark blues/greens -it does darken the shade by about two shades... so if your polish is already super dark, it will turn it black.

The matte polish lasts for about 4 days, then I noticed my nails were once again glossy. But whatever, just reapply with another coat.

Awesome, well worth your money.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2009 11:51:00 AM More reviews by intercitykitty

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Love it!

I really wanted to test out the matte look for my nails, but the colours I had looked at (at Sephora, OPI brand for Sephora) were limited and I wasn't totally sold.

Then I saw Essie's Matte About You.
Brilliant!
I love that it is a clear top-coat that makes ANY polish appear matte. You can experiment with all your colours to see what looks you like best.
So far, I love it over my China Glaze - Recycle. It makes it look like grey velvet. It also looks great over my OPI polishes that have glitter in them. A really stunning, different look!

A total bang for your buck. You can use it with any and all nailpolishes you already have. One coat is all you need.

The bottle is small, cute, seals well and the brush fans out - so you only need one swipe on nails, 2 on thumb.
It also dries very quickly, which is a bonus.

Love it.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/11/2009 10:27:00 AM More reviews by Fieruta

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I am in love with this product! <3

It's so fun to watch it change any finish into a smooth matte, and it dries very quickly. Just don't forget to coat your whole nail evenly, or else you'll get streaks of unaltered polish.

What I like to do is apply it over my whole nail and then paint the tips with something very shiny/sparkly.

I''m glad I tried it and I'd definitely repurchase it.