September 22, 2014 | 987 users online

Mascara - L'Oreal - Waterproof Voluminous Carbon Black

rated 1 of 5 on 2/28/2012 5:17:00 PM More reviews by driggi

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Yikes, what a mess with the flaking and smudging. Do not dare sleep in this one unless you want to wake up looking like a raccoon. I would not recommend this mascara at all :(

rated 5 of 5 on 2/26/2012 11:23:00 PM More reviews by mingtangdynasty

Due to my puny, straight Asian eyelashes, I've used mascara every day for the last 19 years. No matter which new product out there comes along, it never compares to L'Oreal's Voluminous Waterproof (swithed to Carbon Black in the last couple of years). It HOLDS the curl I've labourously gotten from the eyelash curler, it coats the lashes without clumping, gives a rich, dark colour to them and it STAYS. I have oily skin and by curling my lashes first then applying Voluminous WP, the lashes stay off my skin.

I wear contacts and teach GroupEx cardio classes at the gym and it lasts (not as pristine as before sweating but it doesn't smear).

Removal is easy with the appropriate remover (Sephora's Waterproof Eye Makeup Remover + cotton pad). I cannot sing it's praises enough. Seriously the best mascara for my lashes!

rated 1 of 5 on 2/20/2012 10:33:00 AM More reviews by sushi288

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This product smudges within hours of application and gives me some hardcore raccoon eyes. It is disappointing because it is almost perfect in every other way. It's lengthening, gives nice volume, a very dark black color, and is clump free...so it has the potential unless you have oily lids like me. I tried to wait til the formula dried up a bit and also used it with another mascara, but I couldn't deal with the smudging any more. Maybe it works with someone with dry skin and not hooded eyelids?

rated 5 of 5 on 2/13/2012 5:20:00 AM More reviews by Les281

Im surprised by the bad reviews. I absolutely love this mascara!!!! I didnt realize I had it in waterproof formula till just recently. Everytime I apply a thin coat of maybelline full n soft waterproof. B/c its waterproof it will hold the curl of the lashes better, I let that dry and then apply this mascara and I get the most full/ dark lashes E-V-E-R!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/9/2012 5:25:00 PM More reviews by user24678

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I've been using this off and on inbetween other mascaras because I'm still searching for a new HG since my old favourites were all either discontinued or were too hard on my lashes over time. I bought this quite a while back but didn't really try it until now (I think I tried it on one eye, wasn't impressed with the initial application and threw it back in my makeup case because I didn't have the patience to fuss with different techniques with it at the time). I've since started using it and am fairly happy with it so far, on the days I wear it. It is quite black in colour, but it's kind of a dry looking black, which isn't the greatest. I normally prefer a black with a bit of sheen to it, but at least this is a true black colour, so I can live with it. I can't say whether or not it smudges for me because I wear a smokey eye look anyways, but I do like that it doesn't crumble off of my lash tips throughout the day like the regular black Voluminous WP does. Also, at first I didn't think it held curl well at all, but now I realize that it does if you apply the first coat super, super dry. I wipe off as much of the product from the wand as I possibly can (I choose to wipe it back onto the rim of the tube because I find it's less wasteful, and I think that constantly wiping your wand on a tissue will pick up tissue fibers over time) so that there's barely a residue left on it. Then I apply my first coat, and that seals in the curl. By the time I do each eye and then go back to the first eye to do another coat, the curl is set into place and I can add as many layers as I want without straightening my lashes back out (I generally do 2 or 3 coats of it because I find it builds up so nicely). I find that most days, it applies quite nicely this way (lashes are neat, defined, volumized), but there is the occassional day that my eyelashes just don't seem to cooperate with it (might be partial fault of my eyelash curler catching lashes it shouldn't, since my lashes are quite long and awkward), which isn't uncommon with most mascaras for me. I like that it doesn't crumble or flake throughout the day and feels lightweight and comfortable on my lashes/eyes. I do find that it's a bit harder to remove (with waterproof eye makeup remover) than the regular black Voluminous WP, but not too bad. I don't find that it makes my lashes as crunchy as other WP formulas, like others have mentioned. So far, it's probably been the most comfortable mascara for me in terms of wear, because it doesn't flake or feel hard/heavy on the lashes (even with 3 coats).
So far, it's been alright. I may or may not end up switching to it full-time. I'm liking it better than the other one I'm using right now, Maybelline Volum Express Turbo Boost WP, because lately I'm finding that one can crumble a bit on me some days.
I will update if I lean more to liking/disliking it.

Update 04/14/2012: I've been using this more because I've just gotten sick of other waterproof mascaras crumbling and irritating my eyes or destroying my eyelashes upon removal. I found that the last tube I bought doesn't seem to leave such an excessive amount of product on the brush, so I'm able to use it without wiping a bunch of it off before application, and it still holds my curl quite well. I have also recently been skipping the eyeliner on my lower lashline, and I still haven't noticed any issues with this smudging or smearing, even through misty/rainy days or when my eyes are watering like crazy from my allergies. I could see people with oily skin around their eyes (or people who use certain undereye concealers) having issues with smearing because waterproof mascaras are broken down by anything oily, but my eye area isn't oily and I also use pressed powder so it's been fine for me. Application is still a bit hit or miss from one day to next, but nothing terrible. I've bumped it up to a 4/5 because I'm overall satisfied and happy with this mascara.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/9/2012 11:18:00 AM More reviews by nabs07

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

this is horrible! the formula is so dry, and leaves my lashes looking brittle. by far the worst mascara I've owned.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/29/2012 10:19:00 PM More reviews by lincris

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

A lot of people like this mascara, including most of my family. I tried it about 4 years ago, and I decided to give it a go this year. For some reason, it doesn't work for me. It smudges, it doesn't make my lashes fuller either. It's very black, which is nice. I used to use it in combination with one of my favorite mascaras, full n' soft by Maybelline as a top layer. When I first used it about 4 yrs ago, it was simply horrible! I had raccoon eyes in no time, this time, it was just alright. There are other mascaras that are way better!

rated 1 of 5 on 1/6/2012 2:35:00 AM More reviews by JulieWorms

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought the same product in Waterproof Black and it did not smudge and worked great, i was very pleased. But when i went back and bought the same product in Carbon Black, i found that it started to smudge within an hour of normal wear, also when i removed it, i lost quite a few lashes. So i threw it out and bought it in Black again and it worked perfect with no smudging or loss of lashes. Weird that the same product but different colors act different.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/29/2011 7:14:00 PM More reviews by TheOrangeMonster101

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Waterproof? It definitely wasn't anywhere close to waterproof. It took forever to dry, and when I went in the pool, it smudged. They make the smudgies waterproof but the actual mascara was runny and smudgy. But I have to admit, it did give my lashes a nice appearance. It volumized and lengthened, but gave me raccoon eyes after a couple of hours. I won't be buying this again.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/13/2011 4:25:00 AM More reviews by FaBuLuSh1987

This mascara is a very wet formula! It runs and gives me racoon eyes, even when i use eyeshadow primer and lash primer (dior lash plumping primer)! I love the effect, the drama this mascara gives- but can't really get passed the racoon eye look! It's the perfect mascara if you're doing a messy eye look, or a dramatic smoky eye...but for every day this SUCKED HORRIBLY!!! SO DISAPPOINTED!