Smashbox Lash DNA

2.7

on 5/2/2010 2:19:00 AM

The formula is ok - doesn't smudge which is my biggest requirement. Effect is nice after 2 layers - dries reasonably quickly - lashes fan out quite well, though I have to agree with another reviewer below that it looks better on the lower lashes for some reason? But anyway it is less drama than I would've liked. The biggest gripe which I took 2 lippies off is the freakin brush - it is MASSIVE but the shape is really weird and you can get mascara on the rest of your eye area pretty easily. It makes application really difficult and it takes a lot of practice. I haven't had irritated eyes (and I am a regular contact lens user), and it comes off reasonably easily (Clinique and Maxfactor is better in this regard, which are 2 others I have tried recently). I think the brush has peeved me off too much though.

on 4/30/2010 7:58:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

I received this mascara as part of the BEST GIFT EVER - Sephora's Lash Sampler kit. The perfect mascara IMO will make my eyes look bigger, lashes thicker & longer & NOT IRRIATATE MY SENSITIVE EYES. If my eyes become red at all the other aspects do not matter. This product made my eyes red so nothing else matters - it's a goner. The brush was lil messy & big also.

on 4/24/2010 2:42:00 PM

I tried this in a Smashbox kit from QVC (which I ended up sending back, not liking much in it!). This has the WORST applicator every made! I tried it maybe 3 times and gave up. I ended up with mascara everywhere because of the terrible brush design!

on 4/19/2010 5:22:00 PM

I have sample size of this product and only used it because I left my usual mascara at work. Generally speaking I don't really like this mascara... the formula is ok, but it doesn't do very much for my lashes (and they need help!). The brush kinda stinks, mainly because it's so large in diameter that it always inevitably touches my eyelid and gets mascara on it. Sigh.

There is a silver lining, though!: Lash DNA looks faaabulous on my lower eyelashes. My usual mascara (Lancome Definicils) doesn't look quite right on my lower lashes, but Lash DNA makes them fan out and they look really soft and elegant. Won't be repurchasing, however.

on 4/14/2010 9:48:00 PM

This product can clump, be a pain to apply and run down your face if your eyes water the slightest bit. On the other hand, when applied just right, this is the ONLY mascara I have ever worn and had multiple, not just one, complements on how my eyes looked. One was from my husband who would not notice if I came home without a limb one day.

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

Ive wished i'd i read the reviews on this before I brought this. It's the wrost macara its crumply it looks like spider legs! doesnt give legeth or volume just a waste.

on 4/10/2010 8:37:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Warm

I tend to like big brushes in general. If they are not your favorite then definitely skip this mascara. The brush was fine. I didn't find it super special. It did separate my lashes, but even using it the way the directions describe it just did not wow me. If you find the brush gets too clumps, blot it on a piece of tissue and it'll apply smoothly. So the brush and the way it left my lashes was fairly average. I found the formula held a curl pretty well. I only paid $9 for it, so it was not a disappointment for the price. However, I would not pay full price for this. So, why won't I be buying again? I found that this mascara liquifies and runs on me very easily. If my eyes get watery (which happens often) the mascara will smudge and run. And no, I don't wear mascara on my lower lashes, only on the top. I have never had this problem before. I don't normally use waterproof because I don't like the formulas and don't find they work any better. Plain non-waterproof formulas are usually just fine and last all day. This is kind of a hassle, so no repurchasing for me. I have the Smashbox Bionic mascara sample, maybe I'll see if that one runs too. Lash DNA is the first Smashbox mascara I've tried.

on 3/30/2010 6:20:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I am at a toss-up between whether or not I would actually buy this product. I got it as a freebie from Sephora. I actually really liked this mascara to be honest especially since I didn't pay for it. I'm not sure if I would spend the extra money on this as I am pretty happy with d/s brands and prices. I use Fiberwig mascara as my regular mascara which is great for lengthening but doesn't do a thing as far as volume goes. So I actually use my Fiberwig as a primer to lengthen my lashes and then I've been using this for volume. I do admit that the wand is very scary. It's almost half the size of my eye. It's just really large! Plus it does require clean-up after application because it smudges outside my eye since application can be tricky with the large wand. The thing is it really does give me a lot of volume. I would say it doubles the volume of my lashes which is great! It reminds me of Max Factor's 2000 Calories except I think I like this a bit better since I was never a huge fan of 2000 Calories. I find this less drying than Max Factor's. But I do think there are definitely cheaper/better alternatives. This wasn't a bad mascara to me, it's average and it performs pretty well. It was great as a freebie but I'm not sure if I would actually repurchase.

on 3/28/2010 4:36:00 PM

made my lashes look glossy but the worst application ever! ended up with mascara all over my eyelid even after wiping off excess off brush. really messy

on 3/25/2010 3:17:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Worst mascara ever. It clumps and the brush gets really chewed up and gross looking! It's also super hard to get it off! The brush is made wierd where it's bigger at the tip and smaller towards the end which makes application really hard. Don't waste your money!

Popular Mascaras