Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place Eye Pencil

on 11/24/2009 10:31:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I really like this eyeliner - I bought it in coffee and it stays put for the majority of the day (moreso than others I have tried) without smearing down below the eye (I hate that end-of-the-day smudge that other liners leave as the day wears on). Pretty pricey but worth it if you don't want to worry about it rubbing off. I just don't have the time to reapply my makeup throughout the day!

on 11/7/2009 7:33:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Yesterday as an experiment, I used Estee Lauder's Artist's Eye Pencil on one eye, and this product on the other eye. I made sure they looked the same in the mirror in the morning. By the evening, the Artist's Eye Pencil had faded and lost much of the definition. The eye with the Double Wear pencil still looked good, the lines still had definition and weren't anywhere near as faded. I have very oily skin and most makeup just doesn't make it through the day, but this product lasts better than others.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I was excited to try this after reading all the positive reviews on MUA. Unfortunately, this has not really lived up to my hopes. I have dark brown eyes and very fair skin, so I like to use a dark brown liner on the waterline because it makes my eyes look lighter and more dimensional. My HG liner up to this point has been Benefit in Sable, but since that is meant to be a very smudgy pencil, it doesn't last long on the waterline and I end up with brown lines in the fine creases under my eyes (these creases are new to me in the last year). I was hoping that this product would do better. Unfortunately, it doesn't really; it smudges off almost as much as other pencil liners I've tried, and the color is only OK (not nearly as good for me as Sable).

I also notice a very weird side effect of this liner, which is that my upper and lower lids sort of stick together after my eyes squeeze shut (for example from laughing). It's a very weird sensation trying to open your eyes and having to kind of make an effort to get the lids apart. I also noticed this same problem with L'Oreal's Infallible liner so I have a feeling that it has something to do with whatever they are putting in the formula to make it (supposedly) longer lasting. I bought the Infallible during the time I was waiting to get to a department store and buy the Double Wear. All things considered these two liners seem about the same and I think the Infallible is several dollars cheaper -- if I had it to do over again I would skip the pricey Double Wear. Will not repurchase.

UPDATE -- I actually now think this product is even WORSE than originally reported for the following reason... sharpening it leaves a sharp seam along the edge of the pencil just above the the tip. It's almost impossible not to scrape yourself while lining your eyes. It's SO BAD, no one on EL's product development team noticed this? Terrible product for real.

on 8/27/2009 8:55:00 AM

I'm sorry to spoil a perfect rating but this faded on me by lunch :( I have this in Graphite.

MAC had longer staying power.

on 8/20/2009 8:12:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I'm starting to love this more than some of my Urban Decay 24/7 pencils mainly because of the lack of metallic and glitter. Sometimes you just get tired of it. I wanted to replace Bourbon, so I purchased this in Coffee which is a dark brown w/o metallic or glitter. This comes in 7 different shades and has a smudger on the other end of the pencil. It's just as easy to apply and it wears about the same as UD 24/7. I found this easier to sharpen (after freezing) and I can get a finer tip on this using the same sharpener I used for UD. Will definitely look into other colors in the future.

Update 9/30/09 - I just bought this in Forest and I love it too.

on 8/11/2009 9:14:00 PM

I love love love love love love times infinity, doesn't smudge or run. I have the oiliest eyelids, and waterline, watery eyes.. this product STAYS put for 12+ hours like it says. It glides on so smooth too, it doesn't tug at your eyelid after you put on eyeshadow like some eyeliners do. I absolutely love it, I wish they would have made it sooner. My HG eyeliner, for a pencil. Go and buy this. You won't regret it. It's about $17.00, completely worth it.

on 8/5/2009 1:44:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Smooth application and stays put all day. I put it in my waterline...it's worth the price. Come off easily too, with remover Take it Away.

on 7/26/2009 1:14:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

This eyeliner is FANTASTIC! I work out doors all day and it stays on all day. They have some really great colors (I have bronze and coffee) and it goes on very smoothly. Great product and true to its name. I highly recommend!

on 7/26/2009 12:42:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Cool

-great staying power, lasts through a night of dancing
- great on the lower lash line too, doesnt run or smudge
- very soft and doesn't tug my skin at all
- smudges well with the provided smudger end, but it sets quickly

on 7/10/2009 3:37:00 PM

I have it in forest. I was not sure that it will look good on my blue-grey eyes, but it turned out to be perfect. It looks almost black, but not that harsh, and more interesting than brown eye liners look. The consistency is very smooth, not too creamy, not too dry. I want to try other colors too.