December 19, 2014 | 1529 users online

Mascara - Almay - One Coat Mascara (Thickening)

rated 2 of 5 on 5/2/2010 4:45:00 PM More reviews by ilikeshim

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I really wanted to like this product, honestly. I love buying mascaras and this one coat thickening gimmick really attracted my attention. This was actually a really average mascara, I loved the packaging, it was quite cute but definitely DID NOT thicken my lashes at all.

For reference I have stick straight asian lashes, they are kinda short and are very fine, I haven't found the ideal volumizing mascara yet so I went for this of course. I've had it for about 2 months now and can honestly say it lengthens more than it thickens, which really irritates me. Lengthening on the other hand isn't bad, I liked but seriously it did not do what it was suppose to.

I will not repurchase this and I deem this absolutely useless when thickening.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/29/2010 12:53:00 AM More reviews by camillamae

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Green

I really didn't like this product, but then again I like a more dramatic look. I found I had to put on a lot of layers just to be somewhat happy with it. What I did like about it was that it isn't clumpy at all and didn't flake off.

I'll probably keep using it as an every day mascara for work when I want a more subtle look anyway, but I definitely won't purchase again.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/16/2010 7:04:00 PM More reviews by JustLaugh

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This dried out faster than any mascara I've used. It stayed on nicely and was cheap, but other than that there wasn't anything special about it. The formula was just too dry, and I had a hard time building it up to the intensity I wanted. I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it. What can I say. Three stars for average-ness.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/21/2010 11:08:00 PM More reviews by KourtneyBrooke

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This is pretty much my favorite mascara. I have short, thin lashes and this plumps them more than any drugstore mascara I've tried. Borderline DiorShow quality if you ask me.. I think I like this even better! I prefer to put it on top of a lenthening mascara though I do find that this mascara both lengthens and thickens on it's on.. Possible HG material.. :)

**********Update:(11/6/2013) I'm updating many reviews. I don't use this anymore. Voluminous by Loreal is pretty much my hg drugstore mascara I always go back to. I don't know if they changed the formula in one coat or what but I didn't like it the last time I got it.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/22/2010 10:28:00 AM More reviews by annefrosty

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I'm always on the hunt to try new mascaras and I thought this one was ok overall. It thickens a bit and doesn't flake. I think it's alright for every day, but I didn't find it to be anything special.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/12/2009 1:19:00 AM More reviews by Discod

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I keep coming back to this Mascara for 2 reasons:
1 - It does not smudge under my eyes &
2 - It's a reasonable price.

I was constantly having issues with Mascaras smudging onto my Concealer under the eyes and this is the one and only Mascara (that is also reasonably priced) that I've found that does not do this under normal conditions. So, if this is an issue that you have also, and you are also on a budget, then this IS the Mascara for you :) The product also lasts a long time and does not dry out easily as I've found some other Mascaras do quite quickly once they are opened. However, if you are seeking a "false-eyelash" look, this is probably not the one for you.

It's not a flashy looking Mascara, nor is the packaging it comes in, but I don't generally buy products for that reason - if they work well, then that is good enough for me :)

rated 4 of 5 on 9/24/2009 9:05:00 PM More reviews by RochelleRoyalty

I have asian lashes. (Straight&hard to "keep" curled-lashes)

-Pros:
Affordable-$5-$6
Separates
Lengthens
Easy to wash off
No flaking, smudging
Not too wet of a formula
Natural results

-Cons:
Holds curl-7/10
Not good for those who want dramatic lashes
Fades a little bit
Clumps only a TINY bit
Doesn't thicken
Need to OVER-curl lashes
Dries in a couple of weeks

rated 5 of 5 on 7/19/2009 2:00:00 AM More reviews by Tiggerbear

This is my standby mascara. Never clumps even after 3 months of use. It lenghtens more than thickens and curls nicely. It does a lot better job than most expensive high end brand.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/3/2009 8:28:00 PM More reviews by avelanche293

I wanted to try a new mascara that is not so expensive, and after reading many good reviews on here i decided to try the almay one coat mascara (thickening) since it was buy one get one free for 8 dollars canadian at shoppers. After trying it out, i was slightly disappointed. It didnt seem to thicken my lashes as well as a THICKENING mascara should. It was really dark in colour so that was a good thing, and it lengthended my lashes fairly well also, but didnt really do much for the thickening. Overall, alright for the price of 4 dollars (buy one get one) but i would not purchase this again during full price.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/3/2009 2:49:00 PM More reviews by whoshore

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Mascara is a big deal to me because I have long lashes of average thickness, but they are very pale blonde and my hair is dark. Every now and then I go on a kick and try a number of the high end, highly-touted mascaras and wind up either underwhelmed or downright disgusted. That was the story just this week when I was tired of my $25 a tube mascara ending up under my eyes no matter what I did to prevent that from happening. I went to the drugstore and for under $7 got my old standby, Almay One Coat thickening mascara. I put it on today and realized it looks better than 90% of the expensive brands and it actually stays on. It is also easy to get off and isn't damaging to the lashes. The packaging is pretty plain but I don't give a hoot about how pretty something looks sitting in my makeup basket. It's just the best deal around.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No