Philosophy Hope in a Jar - for all skin types

2.8

Water (Aqua), Lauryl Lactate, Behenic Acid, behenoxy Dimethicone, Glyceryl stearate Se, Glycerin, Behenyl Alcohol, Pentaerythrityl Tetracaprylate/Tetracaprate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Tocopheryl Acetate, Benzyl Alcohol, Retinyl Palmitate, Cyclohexasiloxane, Stearic Acid, Panthenol, Beta Glucan, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Xanthan Gum, Triethanolamine, Propylene Glycol, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea

on 2/26/2014 9:54:00 AM

Im now on my second pot of this. I think the smell is slightly strange but to be honest the scent of a decent facial moisturiser isn't a factor for me when buying a quality product, and why add things that aren't needed? I treated myself recently and had a splurge on some Philosophy items, I think they work well together and compliment each other. My skin looks wonderful for using Philosophy products, and Ive tried allsorts!

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

This smells like bleach or something nasty. The smell lingers and burns my eyes, how disgusting for a face cream! Never smelled anything so nasty in a cream, unbelievable...

on 2/13/2014 10:21:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I really like this product. After a week of use, no breakouts, no redness, no patchiness. It does smell different, but I don't mind it; this means that the product does not contain certain perfumes that irritate the skin. This feels healthy and it complements well with my Tarte products. I think this product is targeted for first signs of aging, and I have the pesky lines on my forehead making themselves known, which I haven't seen lately. It's not oily which I love, and soaks into your skin.

on 2/13/2014 1:43:00 AM

Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure

I love philosophy products but I wasn't a fan of this. It does moisturize but the smell is awful. It reminds me of cleaning products. I tried it a couple times to see if it would grow on me but no luck. I quit after the third try because I got it in my eye on accident & it burned like HELL. I'll just stick to my Clinique.

on 2/8/2014 6:18:00 AM

If you watch a Philosophy presentation on QVC they make you want to try everything. Pshhhh what a joke. This moisturizer sits on top of my skin and doesn't sink in whatsoever. My skin looks like it needs to be washed after I apply this. This is supposedly Philosophy's best selling holy grail amazing omg product and I think it's disgusting so I won't try anything from philosophy in the future if this is there best.

on 2/1/2014 12:16:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

Packaging:
The packaging is just okay for me. I personally don't like jar moisturizers because I just like how much more hygienic pump moisturizers are. Also it's so easy to get product on the lid so that's something you have to be careful about.

Price:
The price is average for a philosophy product. It's not too expensive but I don't think it's cheap either.

Texture:
It's in between creamy and liquidy for me, but I think it leans more over to the liquidy side.

Smell:
I can't really describe the smell. It's not bad to me. It's not exactly pleasant either. It's just bearable.

Pros:
-Hydrates well

Cons:
-Can leave skin feeling oily sometimes
-Not the cheapest moisturizer in the world

Impressions/Comments:
I like to use this moisturizer after I wash my face when my skin is feeling dry and tight. However, whenever I wear makeup I always have to add more moisturizer (Clinique's Moisturizing Gel) on top of this one. It's okay, I mean it leaves your skin feeling refreshed, but for those that are big on the scent of a product then you might want to test this out somewhere before purchasing it because I know that its smell is very hit or miss. I honestly didn't notice anything different from my skin after using it, but it does moisturize my face so I'll give it that. I'm saying that I wouldn't buy this product again simply because I want to try other moisturizers out there.

on 1/28/2014 6:16:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

So everyone raves about how great Philosophy products are and I do like Purity Made Simple Cleanser but this mosturizer wasn't good.

Usually my skin doesn't like change. I do not break out in acne but I do get red hive like bumps when my skin doesn't agree with a product. I was nervous to try a new moisturizer but surprisingly it didn't irritate my skin which is awesome. But... I feel that it is not mosturizing at all especially since I have dry skin. I also think that this product has a really bad scent that lingers. I understand that Purity Made Simple smells like this too but it doesn't linder like the moisturizer does. I also don't mind the scent in purity made simple as long as it works and this mosturizer just doesn't work well enough for the price and size.

I say don't bother with this moisturizer..

on 1/17/2014 11:00:00 PM

I have had some major skin issues the past year. My skin is sensitive, sometimes it happens to be dry and sometime too oily its acne prone as well. I have spent so much money on higher end products with promised results, but they were just not working for me. I decided to try hope in a jar and everyone advised me against it, everyone told me it would not do much for my skin and I was still willing to try. I tried it and loved it! It moisturizes my skin without making it oily or dry. My skin feels great. Would recommend to anyone!!! Great product.

on 1/16/2014 8:53:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

No. I have no clue what Philosophy is putting in their products but it definitely shouldn't be there. I gave this stuff an OK review a few weeks ago but am rescinding. Some users wrote about a burning feeling - I haven't experienced this, but I have chemical burns above my eye brows and cheeks. I have a few hive-like circles on my forehead and broken capillaries on my cheeks and nose that I did not have before using this product.

I must mention that I have normal skin, not sensitive and this stuff is ruining it! Do not recommend.

on 1/5/2014 9:57:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Overall: 4
Price: 2-3
Packaging: 3
Buy again: yes

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I am a light olive-skinned asian, in my mid-late 20s. I have combination/oily, acne-prone skin.

I tried this cream out a few years ago and hated it - I finished it, and swore I'd never try it again. At the time, I felt like it was too heavy for my skin, and I had a "burning" sensation when I used it.

Fast forward to now: I tried it out again at the urging of one of my best friends who swears by this stuff. I bought the 0.5oz jar to try just in case I didn't like it, but honestly, I LOVE this stuff now! It could be that I was using this product wrong before, but this is how I use it now:

- after I wash my face, I leave my face wet (or if I've dried it, I spray it with some water), and then I apply a finger-tip amount to my face and massage onto my wet face. I find this thins out the product to allow to more even application and it absorbs into my skin quickly without a trace of heaviness, stickiness, or film. I don't need a lot of moisture, so this method works for me. If you have drier skin, you can probably do this without wetting your face.

After using this product I have found that my face has a fabulous rosy glow, my skin texture is smoother, my pores are smaller, and my oiliness is better. This product does not advertise any of these things (except glowing skin) but I am pleasantly surprised by the effects of this moisturizer.

As others have mentioned, the texture is like whipped cream. It does not feel heavy and is 99.9% oil-free. It smells of lavender, so if you don't like that kind of smell you might not like this, but personally I quite enjoy it.

I used to wake up to very oily skin when I used other moisturizers at night - I don't have that problem with this. I don't have to worry about breakouts with this moisturizer either (and I usually ALWAYS apply benzoyl peroxide - I have managed to skip this step entirely since using this).

I find the price of this moisturizer ridiculous though - $20/0.5 oz or $52/2 oz?? Thankfully, at the Costco near me, it's $17/2 oz! I'm totally stocking up.

Anyway, if you are on the fence about trying this, or you tried it before and didn't like it, give it another try using the method I mentioned - you might rediscover a favourite!

Popular Moisturizers