April 17, 2014 | 1748 users online

Eyeliner - Revlon - ColorStay Liquid Eye Pen

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/11/2012 7:38:00 PM More reviews by CG1981

Not a fan. I love eyeliner and use it everyday. The tip on this is not very fine, the color is not intense and it feathers if you go over a line and removes the previous line. You have to work a lot at it to get it to give the look you want.

I have Smashbox Limitless Liquid Liner which is awesome and almost finished, I did not want to spend $22 on it again and have been looking for a cheaper alternative as a dupe. Also tried, black opal fine tipped liquid liner ($4), which was horrible.

Found gold with the new Milani Eye Tech Extreme! Perfect dupe for Smashbox one and about $8. LOVE IT.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/2/2012 6:48:00 PM More reviews by alliegv

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I would more accurately rate this at a 2.5 if I could, but I'm being generous.
I have been buying this to line my top lid, and it works decently. However, it's kind of impossible to use this under the eye. It doesn't show up too well and smudges everywhere. I will stick to using this for the top lid until I can find something better.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/31/2012 5:44:00 PM More reviews by Kalarin

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

Not what I wanted, but not bad enough to throw away or return

PROS:
Very easy to apply pen
Easy to remove
Stays fairly put once dried

CONS:
Black colour is more a translucent dark grey
Super firm felt tip means it doesn't flow with my eye and I have to go over spots it missed
Cap doesn't fit on the back of the pen

I don't hate this pen, but I definitely don't love it. The black colour is so watery and translucent that I have to layer it several times. It's good for daytime, everyday wear though since it isn't too dark. Even if you did like the colour though, you have to go over your line at least once as the firm felt tip jumps over the little creases along your eye, leaving gaps between colour. Layering it also causes it to take an extremely long time to dry and is quite prone to smudging then. It's decent after it's dried though, and comes off easily with just a little water. I won't be repurchasing however

rated 3 of 5 on 7/24/2012 1:21:00 AM More reviews by ohgeebus

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I'm surprised how much people hated this product. I personally won't repurchase this, but I didn't hate it.
I love the Revlon ColorStay line. All their products are fabulous for my skin type. I use the ColorStay gel liner in purple when I go to work, and it stays on for the entire day.
Honestly, the faults I find with this pen are pretty minor. The staying power is phenomenal even without eye primer. However, the blackest black color is really thin. I have to go over the line several times to get a nice opaque black. This is an issue with me because I'm not a big fan of pen liner tips, and I have the tracing skills of a 5 year old. Those two issues combined lead to a very unprofessional application if I'm in a rush.
Overall, I just wouldn't repurchase this product because it's just a pretty average pen liner. Yes, I love the staying power, but it's not worth it I have to spend another ten extra minutes getting the color and shape I want.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/23/2012 2:06:00 AM More reviews by UrbanObsession

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've repurchased this liner a few times and it is best used for thicker lines. The application is sturdy and easy to apply without smudging because it is not runny. Lasts forever and it is good for beginners at liquid liner. The staying power is awesome and lasts through my 8 hour shift no problem! It dries almost instantly, which is a plus for when you are in a hurry. I would probably repurchase again but I do not consider it HG because it is tricky to line thinly with it.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/22/2012 4:52:00 PM More reviews by HOTTASHLEHH

I actually like this liner because of how easily it applies, the control you gave over the pen, and the formula is not runny. However everytime I use this my eyes start itching then it becomes puffy and irritated. I'm sad because I really like this liner but I'm allergic.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/8/2012 3:32:00 PM More reviews by STsalim

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am literally shocked at how much people hate this product. I didn't really love it at first -- I had to keep applying more product to build up the line that I wanted and the tip was much too thick. However, after trying other liquid liners (including L'oreal Lineur Intense, NYX Super Skinny Marker, Sonia Kashuk and Bobbi Brown gel liners, and Revlon Colorstay Liquid Liner) I must say that I do prefer this one to those. I will be trying the Maybelline Line Expert and Stila pen product and comparing this to those. Otherwise, from the liners I've already used and similar products this is the lesser of the evils.

Smell: Does smell a bit like a sharpie but the smell didn't really bother me.

Opaqueness: Definitely has to be built up but I've found that, compared to other similar pen-like products, this is more pigmented. I like that it's a little liquidy and does not dry out like other pen products I've tried. I've had this product for over a year and it still works. I wish it was more pigmented but as I said is comparatively better.

Tip/Brush: Definitely needs to be thinner for a more precise wing but is easier to use than actual liquid products where you have to dip the tip into a pot or other device. Don't have to keep redipping and dries relatively fast so if you build layers the bottom layer doesn't show through to your skin.

Price: Can't remember how much I paid but couldn't have been much more than $6 or $7

rated 1 of 5 on 6/26/2012 9:11:00 AM More reviews by seroled

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

I usually don't review a product after 1 wear.
It smells like a sharpie marker. That was my first turnoff.
You have to make several passes across your eye before you get a decent line.
I rarely return makeup, but this will be going back to CVS.
Update: I decided to keep the pen. It does stay on all day. That is most important to me. I like brownish black liner for everyday to work wear when I don't feel like wearing black. I prefer the pencil.
But, I will not repurchase.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/24/2012 7:22:00 AM More reviews by SalRose1990

I honestly really wanted to love this eyeliner. I have purchased and repurchased it many times and I always end up returning it. I don't know if I always get one from a bad batch or whatnot, but I can not get this to show up on my eyes. It goes on way too sheer. I do, one the other hand, love their liquid eyeliner.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/23/2012 9:13:00 AM More reviews by mlynde82

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am genuinely surprised at all the negative reviews! I really like this product (although I am generally not a liquid eyeliner kind of gal). I purchased this in Blackened Brown, and use it mostly to tightline the upper lash line to enhance the look of my lashes.

The marker tip is very easy to use, and the packaging is pretty good, as it just has a cap like a pen. I do feel like it is very pigmented (at least enough for my uses), and it hasn't dried out at all, even with pretty regular use. I really like the Revlon ColorStay range of products, as they all seem to be of high quality, and Revlon is a cruelty-free company... This product is great for what I need it for.