Neutrogena Pure & Free Baby SPF 60

3.3

Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide (4.9%), Zinc Oxide (4.7%) Inactive Ingredients: Alumina, Arachidyl Alcohol, Arachidyl Glucoside, Ascorbic Acid, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Extract, Beeswax, Behenyl Alcohol, Benzyl Alcohol, BHT, Bisobolol, Butylene Glycol, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Cetyl Dimethicone, Dimethicone, Dimethicone PEG 8 Laurate, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Disodium EDTA, Ethylhexylglycerin, Glyceryl Stearate, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Isohexadecane, Methicone, Methylisothiazolinone, Pantothenic Acid, PEG 100 Stearate, PEG 8, Polyaminopropyl Biguanide, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Polysorbate 60, Potassium Sorbate, Retinyl Palmitate, Silica, Stearic Acid, Styrene/Acrylates Copolymer, Tocopheryl Acetate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Trisiloxane, Water, Xanthan Gum 5/21/09

on 5/28/2009 5:39:00 PM

This is the first product I have felt strongly enough about to review. I LOVE this stuff! First off, let me say that I am extremely pale, so the whitish residue it might leave does not show up on me, although I do have to make sure it is rubbed in well enough, just like any other sunscreen. This is the first sunscreen I have been able to wear and not cringe in stinging pain. I can use it around my eyes even! I have very reactive rosacea and this has helped calm my skin greatly. It is very non greasy feeling also. This is way better than any other sunscreen I have used, even ones labeled for sensitive skin. I just wanted to share and let others know that there is a sunscreen out there that won't make your skin feel like it is on fire. Hope this is able to help someone!

on 5/28/2009 4:42:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I'm allergic to a lot of the chemical sun filters, especially the new UVA ones such as avobenzone and oxybenzone, so I have to resort to mostly physical sunscreens in the summer. I love this sunscreen because it doesn't feel greasy or sticky (most physical sunscreens do because physical sunscreens don't mix with water well.) It also doesn't have a noticeable smell such as Hawaiian Tropic or Banana Boat (although it still smells like sunscreen). Overall, I really like this, even though it is a little expensive.

on 5/27/2009 12:28:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

AWFUL! I would give this 0 stars if I could. Methylisothiazolinone and methylchloroisothiazolinone are two of the most sensitizing preservatives currently used in products, according to my ALLERGIST. It took me years to figure out this is what is in shampoos and conditioners that was causing my scalp to burn and itch, which literally cleared up within a week of using products without those preservatives. And now it's showing up in products targeted to babies and those with sensitive skin. I cannot even use this on my body without a rash. Shame on Neutrogena!

on 5/23/2009 10:38:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

This is a physical sunscreen that is frag free and is very waterproof. I use this on my body and usually not my face cause it makes me face oilier than I like. I wore this to mow our huge lawn (takes 5 hours) and afterward I had zero burning and zero tan as well. I do not believe I have had this good of coverage with any other spf. It's very gentle and I really like that it does not smell like a sunscreen or contain any other frag. I also use this on my 9 yr DD everyday especially on her face during the summer months.

on 5/22/2009 6:56:00 PM

I lucked out and got a bottle of this with a free mini travel-sized bottle. Yes, it does have a whitish cast (although when I rub it in, it pretty much all goes away), but I'll take a physical blocker any day over a chemical one. I use it over my mattifier and under my foundation. It doesn't make me any oilier, that I can tell, has basically no scent, and it doesn't irritate or breakout my skin in any way (huge plus). I live in Southern California, so I have to take more care with sun exposure, as I'm very fair and burn easily. I'll really put it through its paces when I wear it surfing - I'll try and update with the result.

on 5/16/2009 12:43:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Here's the deal - a lot of people won't like this as a daily, but I don't think it deserves to get such poor reviews as what some have given it.

I agree that this is a tough one to use on a daily basis, but it is an EXCELLENT sunblock - all physical, better than the sensitive skin formulation for those of us with ACTUAL sensitive skin (with the addition of the oat kernel extract), non-irritating (which I can attest to, having rosacea) and it contains antioxidants. Finally and most importantly (to me anyhow) it is a PPD 12 sunblock that is sweatproof and waterproof! I don't think that fact has been given enough attention.

So while it may not be the very most elegant ss out there, I choose to use it on those warm days when I'm hiking/biking/swimming and playing outside, getting all gross and sweaty because I know I'll be protected.

For those OTHER days, however, I'll probably be sticking with EltaMD physical 41 or Topix Elite 30 ;)

on 5/15/2009 4:55:00 PM

to be clear - unlike other sunscreens, this is a TOPICAL sunscreen/sunblock. It is made speficially to "sit" ontop of your skin, so it acts as a physical barrier against UVA/UVB rays. This is the best type of sunblock which is why they market it for babies. The type that soaks into your screen also works, but not as well as TOPICAL/PHYSICAL sunscreen. This is why it leaves a white residue -it's supposed to!

on 5/14/2009 2:14:00 PM

I bought this before a trip to Mexico- I'm pale and my boyfriend has sensitive skin. I hated it. It was so white so i had to scrub it into my face to get it blend and even then, I would discover a white streak somewhere. It's expensive for the small bottle and I find Coppertone or Hawaiian Tropic work just as well for keeping the sun at bay. Plus I found when I washed my clothes after the trip- even after a load of laundry I had white streaks on some of my clothes. I gave it a 2 because I didn't get crispy wearing it.

on 5/5/2009 4:16:00 PM

This made me break out in the worst heat rash ever. I used it for a long bike ride and have horrible red bumps everywhere it was applied. It felt like it never fully absorbed, and when I started to sweat it kind of beaded up and became an oil slick on my skin.

on 5/1/2009 4:32:00 PM

A quick review:
Yes, it does have a somewhat white-ish cast, but it does NOT irritate my skin or cause my eyes to burn. This is quite the rarity for me, nowadays. For anyone with "sunscreen issues" this is worth is try, especially if you can return/exchange at a local drugstore.

An explanation:
As I've gotten older (but not *old* ;o) I've become more sensitive to some sort of ingredient/fragrance to seems to be in almost every sunscreen, even if it's physical-only, chemical (Avobenzone, etc.), oil-free, alcohol-free, fragrance-free... The biggest sign of this is a problem where my eyes seem to burn/water, even though I don't get the sunscreen near them, and usually powder over it to prevent "travel" during the day. After just a few hours I will feel like I'm squinting, and my eyes are tired... and it's really just the sunscreen! I also have this trouble with a variety of liquid foundations with SPF of various levels and types.