October 31, 2014 | 892 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Hourglass - Veil Mineral Primer SPF 15

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/8/2013 8:38:00 PM More reviews by Kentauride

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I've tried a lot of primers. Most of them were complete wastes of money. I actually gave up on trying primers because I had such bad luck with them - including 2 different Laura Mercier primers, 2 Smashbox primers, a Clinique primer, a Shiseido primer, Two Faced Primed and Poreless, and probably some others I am forgetting. One day I went to Sephora and one of the points options was a sample size of this Hourglass primer. I picked it up because I had seen such good reviews, but I honestly wasn't expecting much.

Turns out, I love it. It goes on so smooth, spreads easily, doesn't feel greasy. There is a slight mineral-y scent that I have come to enjoy. It makes my foundation go on really perfectly and doesn't seem to irritate my sensitive skin. In fact I can tolerate some products that I otherwise couldn't if I put a layer of this on underneath. When I got to the end of the sample I felt panic! I immediately purchased the full size.

The full size comes in a nice, hygenic pump. One pump measures a perfect amount for my face, but I use two pumps because I put it down my neck, too. I have since repurchased the full size and am almost out. I will repurchase again as soon as I can get myself over to the mall! Yes, it is pricey. But it is worth it.

Edit: on my 3rd (or 4th??) bottle of this I came across what I guess is a bad batch. Instead of the moderately thick lotion texture, it was coming out extremely thin and runny, and every once in awhile a very thick clump. It was like it had separated or something. I tried shaking the bejeezus out of it but that made no difference. Finally I returned it to Sephora and they gave me a fresh bottle. The first squeeze was just the same, very runny - I was freaking out. I worked the pump a couple more times and then the correct consistency came out and it has been fine ever since.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/1/2013 11:11:00 PM More reviews by lizzea

Believe the hype! This primer is amazing for making your makeup last throughout the day or evening, even on oily and temperamental skin like mine. It doesn't break me out despite my rather bad acne at the moment and it glides onto the surface of your skin like silk, providing a beautiful canvas for foundation. So far the best results have been achieved using this primer underneath Estee Lauder's Double Wear foundation and I get a good full day of makeup staying on my face rather than rubbing or wearing off of my oily skin. It is pricey but a little goes a long way, so as long as you have no problems with silicone, this should work for you. One of my new HG makeup products!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/1/2013 5:07:00 PM More reviews by abigailrw

I wear this alone probably three or four times a week, when I want to control my oily skin and smooth out my skin texture. It works really really well for these purposes, and is worth the high price in my opinion. It also slightly decreases redness, enough for day to day purposes, but when my rosacea flares up I definitely need something else to even out my skin tone.

I haven't really used it as a primer as I don't have any silicone-based foundations, so I can't speak to how it works under any other makeup, but by itself it lasts the whole day on me.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/25/2013 12:10:00 AM More reviews by graceybaby8

I know this product is incredibly expensive but it's worth a shot. I have dry skin in the winter and combo skin in the summer and I've always skipped face primers after having a bad experience with the smashbox primer. But I'm so glad I stumbled on the mini size of this that sephora was selling. It feels like in rubbing smooth velvet pearls on my skin. It makes my foundation last all day (I'm using makeup forever face and body / or MAC face and body). If you feel the price is too steep, try the mini version like I did ... And you'll realize you won't need much and the mini version will last you for a very long time.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/23/2013 9:03:00 PM More reviews by Bellsss

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is an unusual primer because of how it's not liquid and that's all I ever use. It feels AMAZING and smooth on my skin. It's an odd texture but definitely worth it. I got a travel size and it lasts awhile actually.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/14/2013 2:47:00 PM More reviews by naddrique

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

omg please dont ever use this every single day , i made that stupid mistake. it broke me out like CRAZY. i used it for 3 weeks, and i got a million little bumps under the skin on my cheeks. im now on accutane and its bronging them all up, but it seriously ruined the texture of my skin. i am acne prone and i did have oily skin at the time which is why i used it, to control the oil. NEVER AGAIN! irritated the crap out of my skin. i asked thr lady at sephora and she said this happens to alot of people due to how much silicone there is in it. save your skin from this awful product

rated 5 of 5 on 7/31/2013 7:32:00 PM More reviews by lovepetite

This primer is without a doubt, the best primer I've ever used. It comes in a very nice glass bottle with a pump, which is great and keeps it hygienic. For my combination skin, it works perfectly especially around my oily t-zone area. I've never been much of a primer person until I tried this product, and wow, what a difference it made in my overall finished makeup! My foundation or tinted moisturizer stays put all day, and throughout the day, my foundation/tinted moisturizer looks amazing, and sometimes...I think it looks even better! This works well for me both in the colder months when my skin is a little drier and not as oily in the t-zone, and in the summer, if I use the right foundation or tinted moisturizer, my face doesn't look greasy. It is pricey, especially in NZ ($101 for the full size sold at mecca cosmetica, and $33 for the travel size, and I've only ever found it at mecca cosmetica (which is an amazing store filled with nars, stila, sunday riley, hourglass etc products btw), so that is a bit of downfall for me. Other than that, this primer doesn't irritate my skin or make it break out, no scent which I love, and a little goes a long way!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/24/2013 2:58:00 AM More reviews by melanieeatsghosts

I originally received a sample of this with my Sephora order, and boy was I blown away. This primer is like rubbing velvet all over your face, and it is heavenly. It does manage to reduce the redness in my cheeks, and on the days its too hot to wear a liquid foundation, I apply this and then a pressed powder.

Price is a huge factor though, and so far Ive only bit the bullet on buying the smaller $18 version, but this is definitely a product I would splurge on.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/21/2013 4:00:00 PM More reviews by fatttoad909

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Yes, it is VERY pricey but sooooo worth it. I tried the sample size and only use it on special occasions and only apply on t-zone. I have combo skin and this primer fills in pores, helps blend foundation, helps with oiliness, and give a beautiful finish.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/20/2013 10:48:00 PM More reviews by joshquinto

Best primer ever for my oily skin.. I got my money's worth because i just love love it