Maybelline Define-A-Line Eyeliner in Ebony Black

2.3

on 4/16/2011 7:23:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium

This eyeliner smudges like crazy! I have normal to dry skin, and every single time I wear it, whether it's on my upper lashes or my waterline, I always end up with this liner smudged underneath my eyes. It goes on smoothly and applies easily, but it's not worth the smudging. I threw it away.

I would not buy this product again.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

When I used this, I had two big complaints: It broke off pretty easily, and it was so smudgy. :( I would make the mistake of using the smudge maker thing at the end of the eyeliner a lot, and eventually it never smudged, it rubbed old eyeliner onto my eye. -_- And of course, whenever I stepped into the shower with it on, if I had it on my waterline it wouldn't run down my face, it would just drip into my eyes. I would buy it again for occasional use though, because it gave decent color payoff and looked amazing with black eyeshadow :)
EDIT: To make this stay on and not smudge you have to set it with black eyeshadow! Or even dark gray, it works. and then it's amazing! (:

on 3/3/2011 11:43:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This liner smudges terribly! I applied it to both my upper lashline and lower waterline and within 20 min saw horrible smudges on both my eyelid crease and under my eye area. It did not stay on my waterline at all! It did go on smoothly, and has a pretty creamy formula. If your looking for a smudgy liner look, this may work for you, but I prefer more defined lines so do not recommend this.

on 2/27/2011 1:15:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

I absolutely HATE this eyeliner even though this thing comes on smoothly, after 5 minutes it won't matter because it begins to run EVERYWHERE! It runs so much that i looked like I was crying and I should be for the price I payed for this mess! Let's just say that I will never buy this again.

on 2/12/2011 6:11:00 PM

Rich dark black
Creamy
Easy to apply and doesnt tug
Why the bad rating? SMUDGE SMUDGE SMUDGE...lord, I couldnt get this stuff to stay in the same place to save my life. Within 5 minutes, it was down my eyes, in the corners, everywhere. Ive seen bad eyeliners before but those usually come from those cheap brands that you can't expect much from anyways. I was surprised how much I disliked this eyeliner since I'm usually a fan of Maybelline cosmetics. O well, definitely won't be repurchasing but that's just my opinion.

on 2/12/2011 6:01:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

I really like this! My HG liner is Givency Magic Kajal and his is just as black and smudgy as that. I use it on the days I don't want to deal with Givenchy's extra chubby pencil. I love that this is skinny and you don't have to sharpen it. This does not smudge on me but I love these types of liners. I will be purchasing this again. Truly a black color. Wonderful on my NW45 skintone.

on 2/4/2011 9:11:00 PM

Hair: Black, Other, Coarse

Firstly, this eyeliner is the QUEEN of smudging.. whether you did it yourself or not.
The texture of it is quite nice and creamy and glides on well, but doesnt stay very long.
It really doesnt live up to its name of 'define' a line, because the line is not defined at all! The tip is too thick for me, and the 'sharper' that it comes with is pretty useless.
It works ok on the waterline, but doesnt last too long.
If you want a eyeliner for smoking out and smudging, give this a go, but dont waste your money if your looking for a more natural defined look.

on 2/1/2011 5:20:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I use this eyeliner just about every day. It is very creamy and glides on a rich, dark black. I only use it on my top lash line, and I layer it over a lower-quality waterproof eyeliner I own from something else, and have no serious issues with smudging or fading. Couldn't say how it performs on the waterline; I mostly use kohl if I want to line my lower lid. I have bought this four or five times and will probably keep right on buying it. I have not found any other eyeliner I like as much.

on 1/28/2011 2:59:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Other, Medium

This eyeliner does glide on like a dream. And it's cheap. The black is dark and defined, but other than that it's sub-par. The only reason I would buy this again is if I needed a black eyeliner to carry around for touch up purposes since it's cheap. I guess I'll do that now then.
After about 7 hours, the bottom is smudged and the top is not as dark as it was in the morning. The smudger is pretty much useless as it's not stiff enough to do much, it just wiggles around and it's very flimy. There are other pencils with smudgers that work much better. This review is pretty much the same for the Slate Gray version, that's just a gray color.
Yeah, it's meh.

on 1/26/2011 1:02:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

This is a basic staple for my sexy smoky black eye look. The pencil is creamy & easy to apply ... mistakes are meaningless since smoke out the line with the smudger tip ... & cleanup is otherwise easy because the texture is so soft it wipes away without pulling ... so yes unfortunately that does mean the color bleeds after an hour on oily skin ... but it's the easiest pencil I've ever used on my eyes without tugging or irritation & I love it to pieces. It's the only eyeliner product I prefer to use.

I have this in Ebony Black and Slate Gray. I hope to find more colors from this line (brown & purple). For me it's the perfect eyeliner ... I really don't care about the eventual smudging, I'll gladly tolerate it since ALL makeup smudges on me. I have the oiliest eyelids I've ever known. I jus need to quickly check the mirror every hour.