July 29, 2014 | 1920 users online

Liquid - Guerlain - Parure Extreme

rated 5 of 5 on 6/30/2010 4:01:00 AM More reviews by BellaLena

I have combinaton to normal skin with the occasional breakout and I prefer good coverage on my face, but such is rarely achievable with a foundation which does not break me out. I fell in love with this one while trying out a few recommended (among which Revlon's Color Stay and Estee Lauder's Double Wear). I have yellowish undertones and I like my foundations to be pinky/peachy, so that I can neutralize that, so I took the 01 Beige Pale version. I like it, because:
- it is very long-lasting and water-proof and is excellent for the hot summer days when even norma skin tends to sweat (esp on the forehead)
- it has medium-to-full coverage, depending entirely on the application, because it is buildable, so you can wear it in daytime, but also when you need stronger make-up
- it gives the skin a natural glow, which I like very much and usually need less shimmer when I use this foundation - it is matte, but not the dull matte of other mattes if that makes sense to you :)
- it has a very good sunscreen of both types and has no parabenes
- I absolutely love the smell - I know it's not that important, compared to other qualities a foundation should have, but I am usually used to odourless face products because of my sensitive skin and sometimes their natural smell is so ugly, that this one was an amazing diversion. It is like an expensive perfume and you can feel it on your face long after you have applied it, which makes me feel better for a longer time.
- the packaging is awesome (only a bit heavy when you have to travel, but I can live with that) - I mean, I know it isn't such a big deal again, but if you compare Guerlain packaging with other high end brands - they know how to make their pricy producs look really posh (compare for example the sterile-pharmacy-looking bottles of Clinique, which I also like as a brand).

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/19/2010 2:25:00 PM More reviews by pmnixa

This is a favorite foundation of mine. I, like most women, have tried many foundations. I prefer a full coverage foundation that lasts and that won't cause breakouts on my breakout prone skin. This one fits the bill on all of those requirements. Plus, it has a "dewey" finish which is really a bonus. I like Lancome Maquicomplete also but the finish is less natural/dewey. The shade range is not great though - the lightest shade in US markets is too dark for my winter skin. I do like how this lightest shade (002) is a nice neutral, not too warm not too cool. I like how it smells nice and has SPF25.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/9/2010 10:39:00 AM More reviews by zoomusicgrrrl

I'm devoted to my trusty EL Doublewear, but sometimes get a bit fed up of the elbow grease needed to achieve perfect application. PE has a much lighter, runnier consistency than DW, so it's easier to apply - and you don't have to blend like crazy before it sets. I was worried when applying PE for the first time that this thinner texture would mean zero coverage. One of the luxuries of using DW is that I don't have to use primer, concealer, highlighter or powder because I find it covers everything (and my skin conveniently produces enough oil itself to ensure I avoid the dreaded masked effect). Well, the Parure gave reasonable coverage - I'd say medium, compared with DW's full; satin/semi-matte compared with DW's total matte look. It evened out redness around my nose and gave me a sheeny, luminous finish. I would say a separate concealer is needed if you have any blemishes to cover - I tried the trick of using a dot of the foundation over one, but it made the area look darker. So, unlike DW or any other thick-textured longlasting foundation e.g. Revlon Colorstay, it's not really a multi-purpose product. That said, the finish is more attractive (in a your-skin-but-better way) - provided you are light-handed with your application. (The instruction leaflet says to apply 2-3 drops to the face and neck and blend in with fingertips. I've only tried applying it with a foundation brush, but I'll have to experiment.) In terms of texture, it reminded me a little of Diorskin Forever, only I'd say the Parure has the edge in terms of its luminosity.
I bought the lightest shade I could find, 'Beige Pale' (01), and this is slightly darker than my natural skintone. I understand that there is an even lighter shade - 'Ambre Pale' (31) - but even 01 is difficult to get hold of in the UK. For reference, I have fairly neutral toned skin. 'Beige Pale' seems to have yellow undertones, so would probably be best suited to someone on the warmer side of neutral. That said, I've had many compliments when wearing this makeup - comments about looking fresh-faced, glowy, healthy, radiant etc (when I've felt anything but!)
Finally, about the longwearing claim (8 hours) - I find it gets, er, dewier as the day progresses. As my skin is combination (normal cheeks, oily T), I find this to be the case with all foundations. (Nothing that blotting papers - or, in an emergency, a single-ply sheet of toilet paper! - can't handle.) It was quite a hot one today and I wore PE for nearly 13 hours. At the end of this time my skin was certainly shiny - but the makeup had not disappeared, or become streaky or cakey.
Overall, I think this foundation will be a good summer option for me when my skin is a little darker. It's lightweight, comfortable and doesn't look hideous at the end of a hot day. It has SPF 25, too, which is a real plus. The price seems high, but applied sparingly (the advised 2-3 drops), it should last and last.
UPDATE: I've knocked off one lippie because, although it looks amazing at first, I find it greases up really fast on me. I also find my skin has become more spot prone and unpredictable since using PE.
UPDATE #2: I'm conflicted about this one. I've started using it again and it's been looking really glowy and pretty - despite the fact that the weather's been hotting up. I don't like the fact that I need to blot it often, but I haven't discovered a foundation that gives such a luminous base.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2010 11:02:00 PM More reviews by katcomer

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

This foundation is just magic. For once there is a foundation out there for me which is perfect in tone (Beige Pale 01) and doesn't oxidize one little bit.

This applies best with the MAC 187 and gives natural, dewy coverage which makes you look fresh and alive. After I look in the mirror my skin is just glowing and I can't stop looking at it.

I have drier skin and I hate when you set foundation with powder and it gets cakey. This is never the case with Parure Extreme.

It seems to do a great job of moisturizing and is so much more natural than my previous foundation, MUFE HD (which doesn't have a great match for me). Compared to MUFE HD, PE makes your face look much more 3 dimensional and not as flat.

Give this one a try, it's definitely worth it!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/10/2010 3:03:00 AM More reviews by hipnycmom

I've only been using this product for a few days but had to write a review. I've am always on the search for the perfect foundation and have tried A LOT - Chanel, Bobbi Brown, La Mer, La Prairie, Nars, Shisheido, Laura Mercier, Chantecaille, Giorgio Armani, Paul & Joe and so on. This is probably the one that has impressed me the most.

It's true that it can be hard to find a color match but if you do, it is so worth it. I have oily/combination skin with yellow undertones. I am going through a bad hormonal stage right now and suffered some breakouts from some salicylic acid products I just tried. This foundation covers up my hyperpigmentation and marks but still manages to look sheer (I am not a fan of the mask look). I can cover my entire face with just a few small drops. I don't get oily or tight or flaky, and it manages to stay on all day long even in the humidity that I live in. It also really does live up to its claim of being "transfer-free." I love how this looks alone, but also love how it works with a bit of the Voyages pressed powder or the Meteorites Poudre de Perles. It gives off a nice clean finish and really gives off a healthy glow.

If you want heavier coverage, this is certainly buildable. The spf is a huge plus since most spf products make me break out right away while this so far has been really gentle on me.

I am only hoping that I don't develop any bad reactions to this formulation because I really truly love it. Highly recommended and will definitely repurchase!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/15/2010 5:44:00 AM More reviews by maithy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Pay attention: The lightest shade is AMBER PALE 31, not BEIGE CLAIR 02 or BEIGE PALE. If u shake it well before using, it wont run dark as some people complained. With shades of Guerlain foundation, Beige is pink under tone, Amber is yellow under tone. This is an amazing product, very natural, velvet matte finished without cakey look, it covers blemishes very well but lightweight. U can even wear this foundation alone without powder. Blend it with finger tips if u got lot of blemishes to cover, blend with sponge offers a lighter coverage. My skin is quite dull, freckles, T zone oily, few redness, dry n rough scattered. But with this foundation, it turns my face to a ... perfect miracle. I use it with Sisley Loose powder anytime i want a fresh make up. For special occasions, i use this with Guerlain compact foundation crystal pearls, the result I got is my face look n touch like satin, my friends touched it n they were very suprised!! I have used many foundation by others brands like Lancome Teint idole ultra(too sheer,cant control oils as they claimed, just like something to put on ur face n it doesnt help anything) Givenchy sublime compact (smooth but doesnt last long, easily smudge off) ,Clarins Insatnt smooth foundation (smell great but quite sheer, cant keep oils at bay), Clinique Dermar white Liquid make up (lightweight but not smooth, normal) Those made me disappointed n wasted money a lot. But now I ve found Guerlain Parure extreme, it saves my life, i ll purchase it again, again, and again ^_^ It stays long n stable, so u have to remove it with oil remover, its not cause allergy, very comfortable to wear everyday. I DO LOVE IT

15 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/20/2010 7:32:00 AM More reviews by sabbath12385

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Love, love love this product! Sadly it has started to break me out tho so i am absolutely gutted!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2010 9:43:00 PM More reviews by livviilee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am in love with this product and would unfailingly have given it the full five stars, if not for the minor issue of colour. For reference the closest foundation shade to my skin is Chanel Mat Lumiere Powder in Sable. I am fair to medium with yellow undertones, and the closest shade was Beige 003, which is more pink, hence the powder finish of the Chanel. Despite this, I am still giving this an overall rating of 5 for the following reasons:
coverage is fantastic, and only a small amount is needed (I used the Guerlain version of the Mac 187), so much so I didn't even need concealer. On blemishes I applied a needle-point sized amount and it covered wonderfully... - gave me a porcelain skin-like finish - sets quickly so I didn't have to wait to apply blush and powder (unlike the SKII) - lasts the eight hours advertised (however as I'm at work for longer than that I use my Chanel powder for top-ups).
I did apply moisturiser and primer beforehand, although my skin these days is "normal" so I'm not sure how this product would fare on dry or oily skin.
Highly recommend - if only Guerlan would release colours for yellow toned women...

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/19/2009 7:06:00 PM More reviews by rebeccameredith

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

I haven't found a foundation I like better than this. And I've tried hundreds. Everything everyone has said is true! It's expensive but so worth the price.
And many complain about the lack of lighter colors. If you can find it, which I will be searching, there is an 001 Beige Pale - I saw it on the Guerlain website. So if I am able to locate someone who sells this in the lightest shade they make, I'll re-edit this review. And in the meantime, we can petition Sephora to please include the lightest shade in their line. It seems no one in this country at least, sells that shade, though I don't know why. They WILL listen to their customers if enough of us make the request.
If you can find a really pale shade of another color, which is what I'm doing now, it may be just enough to lighten as you need it without compromising the Parure qualities so many of us love.btw, the one I mix it with is Givenchy's Photo Perfection in Perfect Ivory.This may not get the lightest skins, but it will help some of us.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/14/2009 5:29:00 PM More reviews by hesperia

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

UPDATE: I put this on again today and went out in the natural light, and I found out that it is a bit darker than I usually wear. Wearable, but a bit dark anyway. It doesn't much matter because it's winter and one wears a lot of high neck-sweaters. And there are days in which I certainly can use a bit of color. In artificial light, though, it looks perfect. I'll keep it because a) #1 and #2 are going to be too light/pink, b) I hate the hassle of returning things, c) I'm still very happy with the texture and coverage, so I should be able to get a lot of use out of it till summer rolls along.

Still highly recommend it. ;)

I wasn't totally pleased with YSL' latest foundation so I decided to exchange it for this one (since they're the same price at Sephora). And I am VERY glad I did. I like Guerlain's A LOT better.

The packaging is beautiful. A luxurious bottle that would look nice on anyone's vanity. I am very pleased with the foundation itself. It is creamy, but not thick, and glides on beautifully (I applied it with my fingers). It does have dimethicone in it (they put that muck in just about everything these days, don't they?), but not half as much as YSL'. The coverage is MUCH better than YSL's, too. It is a nice medium-to-full that pleases even a full-cov gal like me. It's matte, but not dry. However, if you have oily skin like me, you'll have to dust it with powder and eventually blot. I've had it on for an hour or so now, w/o powder, and it's beginning to "glow" (I hate "glow"; I've "glowed" all my life and I'm sick of it). The color I chose (on-line) is #3 Natural Beige. It's just a tad on the pink side for me, but I went outside and looked at it in the daylight, and it's perfectly wearable. #4 would have been too dark.

Oh, and it IS transfer-free. I just blotted it and while I did get rid of the, ah, "glow," the color did not come off. So far, I like this very, very much. I hope it will not disappoint me. However, since it's awfully pricey, I'll save it for special occasions.

One last thing. Make sure you shake the bottle well (as per instructions) before use. I suspect the lack of coverage some posters complained of might be due to the fact that they did not shake the bottle first.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No