September 22, 2014 | 1940 users online

Mascara - Clarins - Double Fix

rated 5 of 5 on 4/28/2008 11:49:00 PM More reviews by Kath218

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have never been able to find a mascara that doesn't smudge. I have tried every mascara on the market it seems. Finally, I tried this over several different mascaras and no more smudges! This is one of the best products I've ever used.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/26/2008 4:21:00 PM More reviews by mrak

Wow, crazy product. The SA was telling me how I could even go swimming and my mascara wouldn't smudge. After using for about 2 weeks, I have no doubt this is true. I have to say that I love the concept. Everyone has a favorite mascara that works for them and Mascara Fix lets you turn your favorite mascara into waterproof, ultra-long wearing mascara. This stuff delivers. No smudges, flakes, etc. Having said that, Mascara Fix is insanely difficult to remove. I have to use Bifacil eye makeup remover (which is excellent), then DHC cleansing oil, THEN Purpose face wash to get all traces of mascara off. I'm worried that if I use this everyday my lash line would end up bald. Also, this has a tendency to sort of glue your lashes together into a couple of fat lash spikes if you are not super careful, I have to comb out my lashes before it sets. Having said that, this is a great product to wear when you know it is going to be a long day, to special events like a wedding, on drizzly/rainy days, etc. Definitely an item that should be part of your makeup bag.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/10/2008 12:13:00 PM More reviews by petit_ami

This product works almost too well! Every mascara smudges on me. Every single one, even the ones that are smudge proof and waterproof. With this product, I don't smudge at all. But it really hard to remove, I use Lancome's Bifacil and it seems to work but you must use cotton buds to get into the lashes. I use this on days when I know I have a long day at work or an event after work.

I don't think the packaging is great, everything clumps on the end of the brush where it meets the stem of the brush and the product will turn grey (even though I wait for my mascara to dry completely before I put this on).

Otherwise, this is an amazing product that I will continue to use and buy.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/4/2008 8:26:00 PM More reviews by psmitty

Maybe I'm using it wrong? It actually made my fave mascara more smudgy. I put it on after applying mark's Make It Big mascara, which for me is very reliable and smudgeproof, just not waterproof. My lashes looked thinner, less curled, less intense in colour, and I had smudges at the end of an uneventful day. Not impressed! Maybe the two just aren't meant to be together. Will update with other mascaras.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2008 2:20:00 AM More reviews by polyestergirl

I LOVE this product. I wear contact lenses, and have really oily or just smudge prone eye lids, no matter what mascara I wear, it will smudge under my eye giving me a lovely heavy bag look.

I use this with my Dior show, which usually needs touch ups many times throughout the day, and is so smudgy on me, but I love the lashes it gives me so I wear it still, this product kept my Dior show in place ALL DAY!!!

I wear a subtle napoleon mascara on other days whcich I also love, and It clarins mascara fix, holds the mascara on my lashes all day and gives it a pretty gloss. I now know I will never be without this product.

I just wack it on straight after my mascara I don't have time to wait for my mascara to dry first, and it works perfectly, and does not irritate my contacts, and actually helps as I am not constantly rubbing away stray mascara, and fiddling with my eyes to retouch. I really recommend this product.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/17/2008 7:41:00 PM More reviews by bbBearBear

Like many others whatever waterproof mascara I use smudges on me. I was reluctant to spend extra $ (around $23 CDN).. makes me feel like never-ending spending frenzie. But I at last I surrendered and spent the $, however I am not 1 bit regret. 4 stars because it still smudges a bit, but this is the best solution at the current state (I applied on both upper & lower lashes!). A big pro besides smudge proof, is that it helps my lashes stay curled and up all day long! Usually they fall down in the middle of the day. I am using it to tam my long eye brows too! To prevent getting panda eyes, I find applying foundation and loose powder on eye lids and eye bags helps. Obviously because my eyelids do produce oil like rest of my skin, and the worst enemy of all mascaras is - OIL. I have no problem in removing it, because I use baby oil (best eye makeup remover ever!). Of course must use face wash afterwards. Give it a try if you can afford! Forget about spending $$$ on Lancome mascaras.. I tried hypnose waterproof and it smudges.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/16/2008 8:35:00 PM More reviews by glittershell

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

this is a very great idea its a clear waterproofing coat to go over your mascara so you dont have to wear waterproof all the time. if you want it to really be waterproof for swimming you need to add a lot its pretty hard to get off though so i use vaseline wich works good.
update; wow i just used this as a base for my mascara and by lashes got so much longer this stuff is a great multitasker

rated 5 of 5 on 1/4/2008 3:42:00 AM More reviews by havenexpress

I'm the girl who tear so freakin' easily thanks to my eye allergies. And of course, I have to love mascara, so karma isn't good to me when it comes to smearing and smudging. So, with that said, I L.O.V.E. Clarins' Mascara Fix! I have a tube of (waterproof) Diorshow that I hate because it smudges like crazy on me, but I can't bear to throw away an expensive tube of mascara. Yesterday, I used Fix and my lashes were gorgeous. Today. I was too lazy to use Fix over Diorshow and I looked like I haven't slept in days. Not a pretty sight. I won't be so lazy tomorrow.

Caveat; be careful not to overapply. In fact, I find best results if I allow my mascara to dry first before applying this to avoid clumping.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/3/2007 7:26:00 PM More reviews by drexalia

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this stuff!. I am a mascara junkie, always looking for the perfect mascara and unfortunately I haven't found it. However, this stuff helps make other mascaras almost perfect. I like YSL faux cils and Diorshow, as far as how they look when first applied. However, faux cils flakes on me (think unattractive black bits on my face) and diorshow flakes and seems to disappear after a while. However, with mascara fix over it, faux cils lasts all day, no flakes and it does the same for diorshow.
You have to be careful not to apply too much of this stuff though otherwise you can see it (gel like clumps over your mascara isn't so pretty). However, once you get the hang of how much to apply, it's not a problem. I sometimes use a mascara comb over it to just to make sure there is not clumping.
This product is clear, but mine turns a little grey-ish from picking up the black from my mascara if it hasn't fully dried before I put this over it. I find it works regardless of whether you wait till your mascara is totally dry or not. I try to wait though by apply mascara to both eyes first and then following with mascara fix.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/24/2007 2:23:00 PM More reviews by gingerrama

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

[UPDATE 2: strayed occasionally over the years, but I've always returned to this. That rarest of products: does what it says it'll do. In this case, waterproof your mascara.]

[UPDATE (2009): This product used (2007) to be called Fix' Mascara (squidhy tube), called Double Fix' Mascara these days. Same formula, a little less product, better - rigid, non-squeezy - tube, slightly improved brush and neck/wipe mechanism.]

[original review] If I could give one product 6 stars, it would be the Fix. I have been using this "waterproofing seal" for years, and can report that it works. I use it on rainy and/or windy days, and regularly (at least 3 times a week) for swimming laps.

What is does is very simple. It waterproofs and smudgeproofs lashes. It leaves them soft and supple. It removes easily. On all three counts, performing better than any waterproof mascara I've ever tried. Better still, it works with any mascara - so no need to sacrifice all the benefits of one's favourite mascara.

The only other thing like this in existence is the Galoshes end of Urban Decay's Lingerie And Galoshes, but there's more of it in the Fix's tube, and it's a better deal if you'd rather not have the fluffy fibrous underwear. [UPDATE: Galoshes is not more.] I haven't compared it to other mascara sealants: comparing ingredient lists and brushes should help there? (ingredients follow at end of review)

Application: First, apply your usual mascara. Comb through (thin metal-toothed lash comb); allow to dry. Then paint a ***very very fine*** coat of the Fix on the top and bottom sides of both upper and lower lashes. It takes the form of a thin gel, at least on the first application it'll be clear, thereafter it will, like all good things, turn grey. A single fine coat will suffice; the main thing is to ensure coverage of all lashes, all round each one. Comb through fast, while this is still wet, before it sets.

The combing-through-immediately business is crucial. I tend to do one lot of lashes (say, top right), then comb through, then next lot (bottom right), then comb through, and so on. Voila - mascara will stay in place and be waterproof.

Remove with oily / waterproof make-up remover. I use a blend of sunflower and mineral oils (50:50), applied on a good "Swiss" non-flaky cotton-wool pad or small toweling pad (tip: no need to buy the expensive health-store type - make your own out of old wash-cloths). Then rinse with cool water and apply eye cream.

PROS:

(1) Given that non-waterproof mascaras seem to be better formulated (less drying etc.) than waterproof ones, the Fix means that waterproof mascaras can be completely ignored now. And no, it isn't going to double one's time in front of the mirror; I find it might add about a minute.

(2) HUGE PRO: It is definitely waterproof. Withstands rain- and snow-storms, saunas, steam-rooms, hot kitchens, and swimming. I originally used this when rowing, for hours at a time, usually in rain, and with associated splashing. I've also tested out the Fix's performance against waterproof mascara, including Tubers like Blinc/Kiss Me and Clinique Lash Power. The Fix wins.

(3) Smudgeproof. Even in very hot sweaty weather.

(4) Fixes lashes in place, without making them dry and crunchy (but *do comb throug*). Taming waifs and strays and those obtuse individuals that insist on poking out sideways. Good for long nights out... or in...

(5) Can be used as an eyebrow-fixing gel.

(6) Like other Clarins products, not tested on animals, but tested on The Sensitive. Fully compatible with sensitive eyes, allergies, and contact lenses. No flaking, no fibres, nothing there to smudge, and no fragrance.

NOT PROPER CONS AS FIXABLE:

(1) Technique is - emphatically - key. Just one light coat, and comb through. One should beware of putting on more than a light coat. Bad things ensue: lashes will have visible gel tubes around them, and attractive blobs on the ends. But if worst comes to worst, still fixable with a lash comb.

(2) Tip for after swimming: the Fix will smudge and clump if you touch it while it is damp and warm. Leave it severely alone until it is cool and dry, then comb through lashes, then if need be touch up with regular mascara. This shouldn't weight your lashes down and make them crusty and crunchy, if you're using a decent (light, supple etc.) regular mascara with the Fix.

(3) One also needs to wipe off the excess on the end of the wand. There's also usually some excess at the other end of the brush - before brush becomes handle: to avoid this, wiggle the brush while pulling it out from the tube, to catch those bits on the inner collar of the tube's neck. The new "Double Fix" tube deals better with this issue (it's exactly the same stuff as the regular Fix, but in a smaller tube).

(4) Although the Fix will become darker with use, this darkening seems to stop at the stage of elderly-underwear-grey, and I haven't noticed it make any difference to mascara colour. Unless you don't comb through after application. So comb through...

THE FINAL PRO: The Fix is economically viable as it lasts for a very long time. The package claims 36 months. I've never kept it for that long, but at least 6 months and up to 9 (ignoring the 3 month rule for mascara but using the sniff test). Cost: around EUR 16.00 to 18.00 / GBP 13.50 / USD 18.00

INGREDIENTS: isodecane - polyethylene - disteardimonium hectorite - synthetic wax - vp/eicosene copolymer - propylene carbonate - trimethylsiloxysilicate - parfum - ascorbyl tetraisopalmitate continued >>

26 out of 26 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No