October 31, 2014 | 1389 users online

Powder - Shiseido - Perfect Smoothing Compact Foundation SPF 15

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/22/2008 10:54:00 PM More reviews by stellina

This may very well be my perfect foundation. I've been a great fan of powder foundations in compacts for years, especially MAC Studiofix, but I had to give that up a few years ago since my skin is drying up as I careen into middle age. A friend got me to try minerals last year & while I liked the results, I didn't care for the inconvenience (since I travel), the waste, or the mess. The new Shiseido is the equal of the Kanebo Total Finish that I adored but could no longer find or afford. It's so smooth and fine-textured that it's almost a misnomer to call it powder. Application is a dream: just a few swipes with a sponge provides the coverage I need although those who want less could try a brush. It works best with a primer (the Pre-Makeup Cream is recommended & I like it too) as it extends the longevity & improves the application. It looks and feels like velvet. I also love the fact that you can buy just refills for the lovely little square compact - this seems to be a regular feature of Asian lines that other manufacturers would do well to emulate now that we're all trying to be less wasteful. The Japanese lines excel at foundations and this is an excellent example.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/18/2008 7:22:00 PM More reviews by fabplainjane

I have been using Prescriptives All Skins Mineral Makeup during summer and loved it! However, with the cold weather, my skin is somewhat dry in certain spots and needed something more moisturizing. I am not a fan of liquid foundation, so during my search I only stuck with powder foundation. After a month of trying different powder foundations, I found Shiseido's Perfect Smoothing Compact and looovvee it! It provides a sheer to medium coverage and with a natural finish. Of course the more layers you put on for thicker coverage the less of a natural finish it has. It blends very easily with no streaks on my face. I don't use the sponge applicator that it comes with....I use a mineral makeup flat top brush to apply the makeup and my face looks great! I do get a little oiler than I normally do throughout the day but a little blotting fixes it. Although I probably won't use it during summer because I get oily but during these colder season this is a definite must for me. I also love the cute, small compact it comes in. More on the expensive side but its worth it.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/7/2008 12:50:00 AM More reviews by MumAgain

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

UPDATED: My skin got congested with this. Not bad breakouts but lots of bumps after a few days of use. It's back to liquid foundation for me.

I've just hit the pan of my Prescriptives Anywear Powder Compact Foundation which I love but I'm always on the lookout for other products. Since summer is coming I thought I should start looking around for another good compact powder foundation to try knowing that I could always go back to my beloved Prescriptives if the mission failed. After trying out Chanel Teint Innocence Compact (love the liquid version of this!) and Clinique Superbalanced Compact (a bit meh), I came to this foundation. The SA matched me up to O60 for my MAC NC40 complexion. I love the finish of this makeup - medium coverage BUT oh so natural, light and not powdery at all. I wasn't convinced about the colour match at first (I thought it was a tad dark indoors) but it actually makes me look healthy and glowing under natural light. My tan usually gets deeper over summer so this is perfect. I have combination skin and this stays on for a long time - no touchups for a regular 8 hour day. I have only been using this for a week so I will update this review if it starts making my skin play up.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/3/2008 9:16:00 PM More reviews by Femf8al

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

i like the convenience of powder foundations but never liked the powdery look. I've tried mineral makeup, liked it for a while but got fed up with brushes and powder everywhere. Then i found Diorskin Forever compact foundation, beautiful finish, sadly not very long lasting, very light coverage, and wasn't happy with the colors available. Then i found this. HG. this is what i wanted mineral makeup to be. medium coverage (i don't use concealer anymore unless my dark circle are really bad) not shiny but not powdery matte just nice satiny clean skin looking. doesn't break me out, long lasting (only touch up one maybe) and seems to tone down imperfections instead of accentuating them more like other powder foundations. I was also impressed on how it feels. SUPER smooth and light, i forget i have makeup on. it goes as if was wearing a primer (which i can't because they end up feeling like my skin is suffocating but feel really nice). i admit first few minutes you put it on it has slight powdery look but it just melts into the skin after a few minute not hours. I don't think this will control oil very well. when i want a dewier finish (not oily looking nor shiny), with even better coverage a spray a light layer of my HG liquid foundation SKII air touch over this powder. all day Perfection. (Sk2 on its own has amazing finish, but is light coverage unless you build it up just too expensive for me to use it everyday ) My quest is over.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/23/2008 7:36:00 PM More reviews by Xxkonixx

Just liked other powder foundations, this makes my face more oily than usual and pores become very very visible.......i m having multiple break out after using this for two days.......i duno whether this is the cause.......i also found this powder very drying and makes my skin feels very uncomfortable......i dun think i'll ever try another powder from shiseido.........color match is perfect but formula just never work for me...........

rated 5 of 5 on 10/14/2008 7:57:00 PM More reviews by Azula

This is a great foundation, HG for sure!! In a couple days it gained that status because it feels really smooth, it isn't heavy but it covers really well: red acne scars are completely toned down and if a use a concealer, I look absolutly flawless... which I'm far from, by the way. I have normal skin on winter and oily (but not really oily) skin on summer. Today I used my regular day lotion with spf: Clinique's Repairwear, and this powder, that's it. No fancy anything, and even though today was a hot day for this time of year, 80's, the makeup stayed intact, not a shadow of oiliness, and if I touch my face, it's smooth, velvety, not oily at all. All that for 7 to 7:30, no touchups, not blotting!!
I'm impressed.
The finish is matte, but it does have sparklies, which is good even for me because that keeps it from being flat. I'm VERY picky and I hate sparklies, but these somehow won me over because they are not at all obvious, and because even with them the finish is matte and that lasts all day.
I noticed something weird, though: I am I00 (NC25), if I apply that color to the middle of my forehead, you CANNOT notice the difference, even with my trusted day light lamp (for scrutiny of colors: I'm a designer), but if I use it all over my face, I look sooo insanely pale that I returned that and chose a color that if dotted on my forehead, looks too dark and too yellow: I20. If I use that on my entire face, I still look pale, but not deathly so, and I have to tell you, I can't even believe how great my skin looks. Maybe the whitening effect has to do with the titanium dioxide, because more or less the same thing happens with the Sun block compact foundation.
Anyway, yes, I'm going to byt again, and hopefully forever.

8 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/10/2008 5:13:00 PM More reviews by land_cruiser

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

The BEST foundation ever!
oh my, I never thought I would say it...
I have normal olive skin and I60 matches me perfectly (my perfect Chanel match is beige 40).

I have tried every single high-end foundation (compact Chanel teint innocence used to be my fave the last year - it was the only one I used up twice!) but I have never tried any powder compact foundations before. what a mistake!

I have normal skin with some redness and some large pores around my nose. I have been trying everything to hide these small imperfections: normal and green concealers, layers of foundations, makeup bases and pore minimisers... Nothing worked good enough and I was about to buy my fave Teint Innocence once again when a SA suggested trying this Compact Powder Foundation...

I couldn't believe my eyes when I tried it!! My face looked flawless, absolutely air-brushed, just like on those fashion photos I edit:) My boyfriend hates it when he can see makeup on my face, but this time he said: wow, how smooth and wonderful your skin looks today!:)

I have been testing this Compact Foundation for several days now: under the direct sunlight, after many hours at work, after excersising in the gym, after a tennis match, with and without powder and makeup base - all possible combinations:) And it is just perfect. It doesn't clog my pores, it stays put the whole day, it hides everything but still it's impossible to say it's there and the smooth matt effect is there all the time. Also it doesn't irritate at all (how great it is not fragranced because many scented foundations irritated my very sensitive eyes) Absolutely fantastic!

My advice is to use it with a good makeup base though anyway, especialy if you have large visible pores (my fave is Lisse minuit by Clarins) , and of course with a good concealer (Effacernes by Lancome is the best one I've ever tried). I apply it with the sponge (dry) it comes with and the application couldn't be easier. The I colors are more cool and as far as I understand suit best ladies with yellow undertones of the skin, while the B colors are more peach, and suit best those with a warmer complexion.

Please don't be scared of it's powdery formula: it melts into skin and doesn't accentuate any flake or dry skin at all. And one more thing I've found out recently: nothing removes makeup better and more gentle than a good eye makeup remover:) I use one from Dior (Lancome was too fragranced for me) to remove all the makeup from my face and it is just perfect.

This powder Compact Foundation is my HG for sure, I just can't stop looking at myself in all the mirrors I pass by :P

UPDATE 24.11.2008
I love it more and more every day. I started using it without a base, just to see how it will look like. Well, it still looks great and lasts around 10 hours without touch-ups. The best make-up item I bought this year:D

10 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/4/2008 2:21:00 PM More reviews by Jenesis914

I got 2 generous samples of the shade I00 from my local macy's counter. Each sample is .5 g and the full sized one is 11 g. The one sample lasted me 1 week which means the full sized one would last approx 5 months. The foundation itself gives medium to full coverage. I tried applying it with a brush and the sponge and I like the sponge technique a lot better. With a brush, you can get light to medium coverage. With a sponge, you can get medium to full coverage. I have oily skin and this did not oxidize on me. I am also acne prone and it didnt break me out at all during the full week of use. But! I have some dry areas including healing acne spots and this DID accentuate the flakes. Other than that, I liked the coverage and it blends very well. I will be purchasing it when they are offering GWPs.

EDIT:// I've already hit the bottom of the pan in a little under 2 months. I guess each refill will only last about 3 months.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/4/2008 12:06:00 PM More reviews by busterbluth

I wanted to like this product...and i did in some ways. It was very easy to put on and coverage was great, but by the end of the day I looked a bit orange, not to mention darker than I am. The shade range is VERY limited. I used B20 which is the lightest of the beige-shade colors--way too dark and I'm not fair. If they would get some more colors this would be a pretty great pick...

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/28/2008 7:29:00 PM More reviews by Hawko

Thank you for the MUAer for bringing my attention to this wonderful product. I used my Mac #187 brush to build it up slowly, within a couple of light swipe & this powder gives a moist look & feel even for my very dry cheeks. As for the T-zone, I top it up with a translucent blotting powder. Fast & natural. I have to use a concealer first on the trouble spots works better than using this powder to build coverage as it will exaggerate the dry area, especially the crow's feet.
I believed the SPF regulation is stricter in Canada, as the package does not carry this claim. I love the refilling concept as well.
O40 is a good match for my NC 35 fading tan.

Edit: March 2009 - Well, I'll be darned, although I love the texture & feel of this powder, the colour was never quite right as compared to my other powders, it's just a little "muddy" looking. I always picked Ochre in any Japanese line, & I am aware that Shiseido's fdn colour has a character of its own as compared to, say, Kanebo, Sofina, Kose.
Shiseido shades truly sucks !!!