April 16, 2014 | 1532 users online

image 0image 1image 2

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 10/31/2008 2:18:00 AM More reviews by olivetofu

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

My natural hair color is pretty dark, almost black. So after many years of abusing my hair (dyeing it every month to cover my roots in shades of light brown), I made a decision to go back to my roots (sorry, lame pun) and do it on the cheap; hence, colorsilk. And it really works quite well.

Pros: cheap, covers well, gentle, one bottle worked for my whole head
Cons: none

This stuff can be had cheap. CVS/other drugstores usually have it on sale for 2 for $5 US and there are Sunday coupons for $1 off 2 boxes every once in a while. Despite how cheap it is, it includes gloves and a really nice conditioner.
It doesn't smell bad like Feria, for ex, and was nice and gentle on my scalp. The color was a nice soft black with a hint of brown. I liked how there was no red in it. Afterwards, my hair was a natural-looking, soft black and felt softer and better after I dyed it.
The dye is fading a little at the ends, but really, for $2, this stuff is amazingly good. I have already started recommending it to friends.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/17/2008 8:07:00 PM More reviews by vdilma

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

This product is Great.. I Love the results.. I am hispanic w/ dark brown hair, medium tone skin tone and green eyes. I have some highlights that I normally get to cover my roots.. I tend to have A lot of grey hair specially in the front..I have always had my hair done at salons and end up paying $150-180 for my hair.. I 'm so tired of that.. So my neightbor introduced me to this product. It blocked my grey...

rated 5 of 5 on 8/31/2008 11:47:00 PM More reviews by txchicinwa

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I got this product for a steal at the PX a couple days ago. It was on clearence at 2 for $5.00. I'm very happy with the results. This product left my hair very soft and manageable. My only complaint is that it turned out a little darker than expected. My natural color is dark brown but I had a full foil done and my hair was pretty light. Maybe it's just the shock of it being dark again. Anyhow, I'm pretty happy with the results.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/22/2008 11:41:00 PM More reviews by urstandingonmytoes

I had for the last 3 years colored my medium brown hair..natural black. But, as my 36th birthday approaches, I started feeling that it was a bit too harsh. So, after getting a new haircut (Think Rhianna--wish I had her body too, but I guess the haircut will have to suffice! lol ), I had most of the permanent black haircolor cut out. I was left with muddy brown streaked with too many grays--not the look I was going for. So, I decided I would try to find a dark brown that would look a bit more natural against my cool fair complexion and light green/blue eyes. I have to say, initially...I was put off by the cheap price $2.99!! I figured that if I didn't pay at least $9.99 for it that it would suck. But, the box said "the darkest brown you can get without going black"...and with that, I was hooked. So, I grabbed the box and trotted home with not so high expectations. Well, let me tell you....as I sit here with a wonderful deep dark chocolate head of shiny soft hair that $2.99 was a STEAL for this product! In 25 min...there isn't a noticable gray hair on my head and this hair color is the one I WISH I'd been born with!! I will gripe about one thing...the smell of the conditioner reminds me just too dang much of funeral home roses. UGH!! I was in a sneezing fit in the shower, worst 2 min of my life!! But, because I had such good results...I can forgive that.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/14/2008 9:59:00 AM More reviews by StarfighterLily

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Great color and product!

This has produced my favorite dark brown - it's not pulling red or gold and suits my pale, cool complexion... but it's also not ashing out or looking black.

I've tried it once for roots, pulling through to ends later in the process. Even results... my existing dark brown haircolor is a little more ash, and this added a better slightly more natural-dark-brown cast to it. I plan to keep using it and pulling through toward the end of the process.

I have fine hair easily trashed by harsh products... generally I avoid drugstore colors because of this - haven't ever had a good result with others. I tried this after reading some really positive reviews. I didn't leave it on quite as long as suggested because my hair tends to grab a little. Overall, terrific.

This will now replace for me:

Bigen 'dark brown' - which is the gentlest color I've used but pulls both ash/dark and somehow slightly red too.

Wella ColorCharm semipermanent medium brown.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/24/2008 2:02:00 PM More reviews by pancake_bunny

I am 37 and a hair color veteran. I have had $250+ color jobs and used manic panic, almost every box color on the market, including making my own concoctions from Sally's. My natural color is dark brown and my hair is very thick, curly/wavy and usually straightened = styled to death. Add on the fact that I am growing out an inverted bob and it looks like crap-o-la so I can't do much about the cut so I mess with it ALL of the time. I have been wearing it light-medium brown with highlights on occasion. The other day I found a long, wavy ponytail clip in I used to wear YEARS ago - just for fun. It was shiny, wavy and dark brunette - bought it to match my natural color at the time. Of course I tried it on and it made me realize how dull and horrid my current hair color was in contrast to my big 'ol fake ponytail. Dear friends: next time TELL me I have orange stripes in the back of my head ok? I won't be mad at you. My hair color had reds, golds, browns and some grays stuck in there just to remind me how old I really am. While looking here for brunette rec's, I read the ONLY review on here for this brand, grabbed my $5, went to Walgreens and bought some Mike and Ike's. Then I went back to the color isle and grabbed a box of Dark Brown. The packaging inside is el cheapo but it's what's on the inside that counts, right? (except in cases of hair color - then the outside is of utter importance.) I applied the color and it wasn't as smooth as some brands I've used so I had to be careful not to create 14 brown birds nests on my head. I processed for 20 minutes, rinsed, conditioned, blew dry the front and air dried overnight. This morning, I styled it and my color was shiny, rich dark brown and matched my brunette hair clippy perfectly. There is no red, no gray and it does not look as dry or damaged as it did. My dry areas picked up a litle darker, but that just add depth it - doesn't look spotty My DH didn't see me yet and I'm sure when I get home from work today he'll be all WTF but my hair was this color when he met me so he can kiss my big 'ol fake ponytal. I love it. :p

22 out of 22 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/13/2008 10:58:00 PM More reviews by ELIZApatricia

I must admit, I had become a "haircolor snob", because I would only dye my hair using professional dyes from Sally's or Barnums. However, I have tried most of the drugstore brands throughout the years. I recently tried Natural Instincts Brass-Free Brunettes, and had a rather unpleasant end result. I ended up with lighter brassier roots while the rest of my hair turned a strange ashy black! Thank goodness I was able to shampoo like crazy and get some of it to wash out, but it was blotchy/uneven! I just wanted a haircolor that will darken my light ash brown hair to a darker/richer brown, and look even from root to tip...is that really so much to ask?! So after reading reviews on here, I decided that it was time to stop being a snob to Colorsilk and give it a whirl. So glad I did, I used the shade "Dark Brown". I left it on for 25 min (the roots for 20 min., and pull through the ends for last 5 min). Now I have a BEAUTIFUL, rich, very dark chocolate brown (exactly like the girl's on the box), and as damaged and porous as my hair is, the color turned out TOTALLY even, from root to tip! AND it made my hair a lot more silky, manageable, and shiny (I have super coarse dry hair naturally). Yes, the gloves suck a$$, and yes, the conditioner is in a packet, not a tube, but I really don't care about all that. I only care about the end result of my color. No other brand has given me such beautiful even results like Colorsilk does! This is a perfect example of quality NOT correlating with price (considering this stuff is less than $3 a box!) SO in love w/Colorsilk!!!

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No