October 24, 2014 | 1265 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Colorsilk in Dark Brown

image 0image 1image 2

• Price: $

rated 2 of 5 on 3/5/2009 6:00:00 PM More reviews by 4615318

i bought this because it was on sale. i previously dyed my hair brown, but after a long break from dying, my hair looked brassy. so i decided to dye my hair to a dark brown to make my hair seem more natural.

this product damaged my hair to the point where it'll take months to repair. more importantly, my hair turned jet black!

save yourself the couple bucks and don't bother with this product.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/4/2009 More reviews by rock_chica81

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I think it's about time I've written a review for this staple of mine. I've been dying my hair for many years now and have had everything from dark blonde to dark plum hair. This is the box I reach for when I want to go back to my "natural" hair color. Pros: Not at all drying. This doesn't leave my hair feeling like hay the way Garnier and Feria does. The color is a very nice deep chocolate brown without all the brassiness. I actually really like the conditioner. Leaves my hair silky. You really can't beat the price. I stocked up at Walmart when they were 2 for 3.98. Cons: I guess the gloves are flimsy and the conditioner comes in a packet and not a tube....Doesn't bother me.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/3/2009 8:44:00 PM More reviews by Surfinbeauty

This is my HG in hair color. I recently strayed and purchased the Medium Brown color - it was ok, but when the color faded, I was left with awful, washed-out red tones. Oops. So, back to the Dark Brown and voila! Beautiful, chocolate brown tones that perfectly match my eyes and eyebrows. I bought this on sale at Rite Aid - 2 boxes for $3.99. I'm going to stock up and never stray again!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/12/2009 6:02:00 PM More reviews by suzanneb

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I decided to go with Colorsilk because I had a few highlights that needed to be covered up and this dye is supposed to be more gentle than other brands. The color came out dark brown with some red. I didn't like the gloves or the scent of the conditioner.
EDIT I had to recolor with Natural Instincts because this has faded so much! My roots look so much lighter and so does the top part of my head, I like my hair a rich dark brown with no red and this color is going towards medium warm brown with red .
EDIT 02/18 This dye has fried my hair out like nothing else,not even Feria dried my hair out like this, it's taking me over a month of several treatments to make my hair feel like hair again.
Will never ever stray from Natural instincts or Nutrisse.
NOVEMBER 2012: I guess I forgot all about thos review because I went ahead and used this in "light ash brown" and left my hair like straw.
JUNE 2013: used twice so far the color light ash brown and it turns my hair a beautiful dark ash brown, I leave it on roots for 45 minutes. Today I used it to cover one inch of hoots roots and now I have dark ash brown hair that is mega shiny and chocolate like, love it.
DECEMBER 19, 2013: used this today to cover some horrible medium brown that John Frieda in 4N left. In the past I've never liked Colorsilk in Dark Brown #30 but decided to give it a shot from a review that I read here on MUA and I'm glad I did. The color in the mix had a lot of purple as well as when I was washing my hair but when the color was processing on my head it looked just very dark brown, like a glass of coke. The color came out shiny and even, all pure dark bitter chocolate brown, no red and almost black, no hot roots, everything was blended seamlessly.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/4/2008 12:57:00 AM More reviews by ksi218

I've been coloring my hair myself on and off for about 6 years. I've tried almost every at home hair color product that they sell in the drugstore but avoided the Colorsilk like the plague because of the price. There was NO WAY a box of hair color for 2.99 could be good.

I've never been satisfied with the way my hair would turn out with the other brands. It would look great for a week tops and then you could tell that the color was washing out and turning brassy. I hate a brassy brown! I came on here to figure out which hair color I would try next and after reading the rave reviews about Colorsilk I decided to give it a try.

I bought it in Dark Brown which is my natural color(I have quite a few grays even though I'm young). I applied the color hoping for the best. Once I rinsed the color and dried my hair I couldn't believe how amazing the color looked! None of the other products ever looked that good after I dried my hair. I was really excited but told myself that it would end up brassy and washed out in a week like the others.

Well it's been a month and my hair still looks amazing! There is no hint of brassiness what so ever! I have no idea how they can sell such an awesome product as cheap as they do. This is my HG hair color. I will never use anything else. The only thing that I don't care for is the cheap gloves and TINY conditioner that they provide but I can buy my own the quality of the color more then makes up for it!

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/31/2008 2:18:00 AM More reviews by olivetofu

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

My natural hair color is pretty dark, almost black. So after many years of abusing my hair (dyeing it every month to cover my roots in shades of light brown), I made a decision to go back to my roots (sorry, lame pun) and do it on the cheap; hence, colorsilk. And it really works quite well.

Pros: cheap, covers well, gentle, one bottle worked for my whole head
Cons: none

This stuff can be had cheap. CVS/other drugstores usually have it on sale for 2 for $5 US and there are Sunday coupons for $1 off 2 boxes every once in a while. Despite how cheap it is, it includes gloves and a really nice conditioner.
It doesn't smell bad like Feria, for ex, and was nice and gentle on my scalp. The color was a nice soft black with a hint of brown. I liked how there was no red in it. Afterwards, my hair was a natural-looking, soft black and felt softer and better after I dyed it.
The dye is fading a little at the ends, but really, for $2, this stuff is amazingly good. I have already started recommending it to friends.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/17/2008 8:07:00 PM More reviews by vdilma

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

This product is Great.. I Love the results.. I am hispanic w/ dark brown hair, medium tone skin tone and green eyes. I have some highlights that I normally get to cover my roots.. I tend to have A lot of grey hair specially in the front..I have always had my hair done at salons and end up paying $150-180 for my hair.. I 'm so tired of that.. So my neightbor introduced me to this product. It blocked my grey...

rated 5 of 5 on 8/31/2008 11:47:00 PM More reviews by txchicinwa

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I got this product for a steal at the PX a couple days ago. It was on clearence at 2 for $5.00. I'm very happy with the results. This product left my hair very soft and manageable. My only complaint is that it turned out a little darker than expected. My natural color is dark brown but I had a full foil done and my hair was pretty light. Maybe it's just the shock of it being dark again. Anyhow, I'm pretty happy with the results.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/22/2008 11:41:00 PM More reviews by urstandingonmytoes

I had for the last 3 years colored my medium brown hair..natural black. But, as my 36th birthday approaches, I started feeling that it was a bit too harsh. So, after getting a new haircut (Think Rhianna--wish I had her body too, but I guess the haircut will have to suffice! lol ), I had most of the permanent black haircolor cut out. I was left with muddy brown streaked with too many grays--not the look I was going for. So, I decided I would try to find a dark brown that would look a bit more natural against my cool fair complexion and light green/blue eyes. I have to say, initially...I was put off by the cheap price $2.99!! I figured that if I didn't pay at least $9.99 for it that it would suck. But, the box said "the darkest brown you can get without going black"...and with that, I was hooked. So, I grabbed the box and trotted home with not so high expectations. Well, let me tell you....as I sit here with a wonderful deep dark chocolate head of shiny soft hair that $2.99 was a STEAL for this product! In 25 min...there isn't a noticable gray hair on my head and this hair color is the one I WISH I'd been born with!! I will gripe about one thing...the smell of the conditioner reminds me just too dang much of funeral home roses. UGH!! I was in a sneezing fit in the shower, worst 2 min of my life!! But, because I had such good results...I can forgive that.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/14/2008 9:59:00 AM More reviews by StarfighterLily

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Great color and product!

This has produced my favorite dark brown - it's not pulling red or gold and suits my pale, cool complexion... but it's also not ashing out or looking black.

I've tried it once for roots, pulling through to ends later in the process. Even results... my existing dark brown haircolor is a little more ash, and this added a better slightly more natural-dark-brown cast to it. I plan to keep using it and pulling through toward the end of the process.

I have fine hair easily trashed by harsh products... generally I avoid drugstore colors because of this - haven't ever had a good result with others. I tried this after reading some really positive reviews. I didn't leave it on quite as long as suggested because my hair tends to grab a little. Overall, terrific.

This will now replace for me:

Bigen 'dark brown' - which is the gentlest color I've used but pulls both ash/dark and somehow slightly red too.

Wella ColorCharm semipermanent medium brown.