November 28, 2014 | 1975 users online

Moisturizers - Avocado Oil

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 on 4/25/2010 6:13:00 PM More reviews by alisonkeir

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is an amazing oil that I would never have discovered if it weren't for searching through all the "Unlisted Brand" products for natural remedies. Thanks, ladies! I use this at night, sometimes alone, sometimes layering over Chagrin Valley whipped shea butter, which I highly recommend as well.
I have tried numerous oils--olive, jojoba, coconut, and some others I've blocked out--and had terrible luck with all of them. My skin is very dry, very sensitive (seborrheic dermatitis), prone to clogged pores and mild breakouts, and hyperpigmented. In short, a constant frustration. This is highly moisturizing (not recommended for oily skin), and doesn't make me break out or cause irritation. It does seem to slowly even skin tone and plump it up. You can read about its composition online to get an idea of why it's so beneficial for the skin.
Do not get Aura Cacia--I totally don't trust that brand anymore--it claims on the bottle that it is "minimally refined," which is completely untrue. Avocado oil should be deep green, buttery, and have a distinctive smell. Aura Cacia's is yellow, has no smell, has a different texture, and they added Vit. E to prevent rancidity. In order to refine it to this level, it may have been heated to up to 450 degrees, winterized, and was definitely bleached, deodorized, etc. So it's sort of like eating Fritos and expecting it to be as nutritious as actual corn, you know? I got Bella Vado (cold-pressed)--they make an oil and a soap, which is also good. (I'm not affiliated with them in any way). Usually the real deal will be in the edible oils section, not the beauty section, or online.
If you've tried other oils, and they haven't worked, give this one a chance--they are all completely different in composition, which is why some are so fabulous for certain people, and terrible for others. Mountain Rose Herbs has a very informative website with a complete breakdown of all the major oils!
Edit: I noticed my skin was breaking out more, so I stopped using the soap, and then the oil. I think every day was just too much. I do miss the good qualities of the oil, though, so I think I'll try using it a few times a week to see how that goes...
(Oh, and if any oil just seems to "sit" on your skin, rather than being absorbed, it helps to apply it to damp or lightly misted skin).

24 out of 25 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/4/2010 9:48:00 AM More reviews by LauraP24

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this for my hair, then read about its great anti-aging effects/antioxidants, so I decided to give it a try on my face (my skin is dry). I was a bit worried about it clogging my pores since I am breakout prone, but no! It's noncomedogenic (not *likely* to clog) and absorbs quite easily. Been using it overnight for about a week and will definitely continue.

*EDIT* 4/13/10: Avocado oil is breaking me out... I was so excited to have discovered this, it moisturized well, but it's back to Nivea creme for me. Guess this will end up on my hair after all!

For what it's worth, the brand I have is AromaForce.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 4/3/2010 10:57:00 PM More reviews by malika

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was brave and used this on my entire body including my face. I got several breakouts so I will not be trying this again on my face. It absorbs nicely on my body, but i think that i will stick to aveeno lotion for my daily moisturizer. I use it on my five year old (who i have to force to drink water and has some dry skin) and it worked wonderfully. best of all the natural oils, but not a hg for me.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/29/2010 7:30:00 PM More reviews by pinknika

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Okay so I hate to be the one to wreck all the lovely reviews but I didn't really like avocado oil. Maybe its the brand...I currently am using the Aura Cacia brand which is slightly refined. I heard that there is a difference between refined and unrefined, maybe its the unrefined kind I need. Anyway, this does moisturize my body well but not my face. My face is really acne prone and I recently have been breaking out a lot. I slathered this stuff on at night and couldn't wait to wake up to see what results I would have...well needless to say the first night I used it, I didn't really notice a difference, my skin was a little more moisturized but fine lines, acne all that still visible. I didn't use this for just one night, I am basing my review on the 4 months I have used this every night and still I haven't had any of the miraculous results that a lot of other reviews have had. I think I am going to try the unrefined kind and see what happens.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/28/2010 4:30:00 PM More reviews by gulimba

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I call this "the miracle in a bottle".For 5 years i suffer from melasma,a skin condition.I have a two huge maps(like america in one side of my face and europe in the other)(sorry i dont speak english well).I used al kinds of bleaching creams,i was devastaded,i used a lot of foundation and concealer to cover them,almost like a mask.Some day i started use Avocado oil,to moisture my skin because i live in Puerto Rico ,close to the beach and is so hot,that i need to use a lot a moisturiser and sunblock.Once my sister notice that my skin it looks different,She ask my what i was using on my skin lately,and i told her my new routine,just avocado oil, morning and night.I ask why did she ask,and she notice that my skin,looks beautiful.Well the only different was that,i run to the mirror and i said to myself "Hell yea,my skin is more radiance and youthfull,and my melasma is less noticeable"!!Wow!!!.I cant believe how good i felt after that, Im'not even wanted to look in a mirror before that.I use less makeup.even my husband notice a difference,check this page.

For all the girls who suffer from melasma or age spot,just try this,I saw a difference in a month.

16 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 3/27/2010 7:47:00 PM More reviews by BlueStars

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

Have been using this for about a week now and it makes skin more supple, but is quite greasy and i think i've broke out from it - prefer trilogys rosehil oill!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/25/2010 8:06:00 AM More reviews by Ollyli

I love using this, i mix it with my body creams and it works like magic. I also replaced this with my eye cream, it works so much better than those pricey high end eye creams. It also made my eyelashes stronger, thicker and longer.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/19/2010 12:35:00 PM More reviews by kmclallen

I am hesitant to put oil on my face but I thought I would give it a shot -- I use it when I get up in the morning leave it on for about 45 minutes before I take a shower -- washes off clean, skin is smooth and moisturized, doesn't clog pores, works really well.

I can see in my make up mirror that my skin is no longer dry,my make up goes on smoother and looks great -- will keep using.

I have also been using on eyelashes -- maybe a little difference will update.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2010 9:19:00 AM More reviews by Lily90

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

No more need for those chemicaly filled night creams! I feel much more comfortable going to sleep with 100% natural avocado oil on my face than those creams with 4382463 ingredients. I have bought a cold pressed bottle from the supermarket and so far I love how it moisturizes my face so well. I was scared to put oil on my acne prone skin at first but due to the reviews I had to give it a try! It has not clogged my pores or made me break out. It makes my skin feel so nice and soft. It's not greasy at all, my skin absorbs it by half an hour. It has a subtle nutty smell, you can't smell it at all unless you deliberately sniff it hehe. It's good to put some on the lips as well. You can't go wrong with this, even if you have acne prone skin :)

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/14/2010 12:27:00 PM More reviews by irishgrant

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Love avocado oil! I purchased the cold pressed variety for about $13 for 8 oz. It has a dropper type cap which is great for limiting the amount I pour. My philosophy was, if I didn't like its effects on my face, I'd use it for cooking. It's far too lovely to cook with. After first applying, it feels a little greasy, but that vanishes within 20 min. The best part is that I haven't had any flaking in the cold weather and I use Retin A every other day. I can honestly say that I believe dark spots have lightened as well. Can it be? Great stuff!