April 25, 2014 | 931 users online

Bronzers - TheBalm - Bahama Mama

image 0image 1image 2

rated 3 of 5 on 7/10/2011 10:01:00 AM More reviews by aychan

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I wish there was a maybe on the "Would you repurchase" question.

Pros: Extremely pigmented, a little goes too long of a way, doesn't have a red, muddy undertone

Cons: Too pigmented, too much of a dark brown (pretty much just a dark brown eyeshadow), stained my MAC countouring brush

I've always used cheap drugstore bronzers since I thought they would all look the same anyway. However, I've always felt that they weren't pigmented enough, and I end up spending 5 minutes just putting the bronzer on. I did my research on MUA, and was debating between Hoola and Laguna. Laguna seemed like a god choice until I found out that it actually contains a little bit of shimmer. My skin is "shimmery" enough without shimmery makeup, so no thank you. Hoola didn't seem to have extremely good ratings either, plus from what I remember it looks kinda like the NYC bronzer. Then I came across ratings for BahamaMama and thought, hey why not, let's give this a shot. I believe it might even be cheaper than Hoola.

Anyway, it's extremely pigmented which I love, so at one swipe it's already done its job on contouring my face. If I decide to go for a little more, and add one more swipe, BAM I end up looking dirty. So yeah, a bit mixed feelings, maybe I just need to control my hand and stop going for that second swipe.

Also, I'm pretty choked that my brush got stained. Anyone else run into the same problem?

rated 5 of 5 on 7/3/2011 8:13:00 PM More reviews by loiseva1988

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Green

I am just getting into The Balm products and I love this product, it is the perfect contour shade, its has no shimmer at all (which i like) and it is a true brown, has no pink or orange undertones, the only thing i will say is it can look a little muddy/dirty f you don't blend it enough or if you use to much, it is very pigmented so i advise a light hand at first and simply build it up if need be (much easier to add more if you want it than to take off if you apply to much!) .. i love the packaging (i have Bahama mama bronzer and the Sexy mama finishing/setting powder) and they are both just too damn cute, the little case closes with a magnet so it wont flip open and go everywhere in your bag! and it has a cardboard sleeve that it slips inside of also. great product and i think a reasonable price, love it and would repurchase. For reference i am NC30 and this a perfect shade on my skin tone, maybe 2-3 shades darker than my skin which is great for a contour shade :)

rated 2 of 5 on 6/30/2011 11:12:00 AM More reviews by Pinksparkling

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

For me this wasn't very good. I am a MAC NC30 in foundation but i use F&B in C4 which is perfect for me.

I bought this product full price online, because you dont seem to be able to get it in stores here in the UK, after reading rave reveiws about it but unfortunately it wasnt for me.

It is really powdery and i dont see any shimmer - its just matt. It is a nice colour but i found put on top of my foundation it went cakey and soaked into parts of my skin and not others and i looked rather patchy in places after a while. I also think that it makes you look rather dirty - its not so much of a tan look as a diry look.

Its a shame because it seems to be a really great product for others.

On the upside I have just bought NARS Casino bronzer so hopfully that is going to be much better!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/31/2011 10:34:00 PM More reviews by dollirium

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

If you are in the market for a matte bronzer, this the one. Very pigmented and non-oxidizing, it wears well in the outdoors. Very, very natural looking-apply lightly and with a good angled or full powder brush then build from there, It is not a product you can just swipe on and go. Excellent for contouring and reminds me more of a professional product. The magnetic cardboard does not bother me, though I think this has a tendancy to chip and if it does, it gets everywhere. I could not care less about the rockabilly graphics on the case. TheBalm is wasting their wonderful pigmented products on the washed-up benefit-style retro packaging. Anyone that dislikes Benefit, as I, may not want to purchase this not knowing about the quality. I would be missing out! Their highlighter is super good too.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/22/2011 9:21:00 AM More reviews by mariella99

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This was another FREEBIE from TheBalm (it seems in Canada, they're pretty much giving some of the stuff away! I got a Down Boy blush free with my previous purchase).

I'll admit I have "issues" with bronzers. I'm pretty fair skinned and don't go for a tanned look at all in summer (except on my legs) but I figured I could use Bahama Mama as a contour colour. It's a very matte product and it is, as others have said, not only lacking in glitter but also in that hideous orange Oompa Loompa effect, so this makes it terrific as a contouring shade. But to my surprise, when dusted lightly all over my face or on the areas that the sun would hit naturally, it really gives a nice, natural hit of LIGHT colour to my face - like a real light tan. This can also be used as an eye shadow and I tried it the other day, with a very "bare look" - using a skin toned shadow all over my lid and this as a crease contour (the way I would usually use MAC's Wedge or Omega) and the result was great.

I LOVE the thin, non-bulky packaging of TheBalm's powder products AND the fact that even these super-slim compacts contain reasonably sized mirrors - they are easy to store and don't take up a ton of room in your bag or when you travel. But I am just not a fan of cardboard. My makeup application area is in my tiny ensuite bathroom and the counter is invariably wet from my face washing so I am always concerned that these cardboard packages may suffer from ongoing contact with a wet counter-top.

I can't really see myself using this up any time soon and bronzers, per se, are not a big part of my makeup routine but given the value of this product (had I paid for it) vs similar hugely popular products like Nars Laguna, Benefit Hoola and Too Faced Chocolate Soleil, I would certainly rank this as "re-purchase worthy".

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/8/2011 10:31:00 PM More reviews by loveableqtpie212

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm always on the hunt for the perfect matte bronzer. I think I've found it. Bahama mama is a matte golden (not orange) brown. It's like the color of nars laguna minus the shimmer. I'm surprised it worked on my skintone (nc40) since benefit hoola looked a little muddy and this one is even more brown. I like using it to contour or add a little color to my skin. The best thing about this is that it doesn't turn orange as the day goes on, and it isn't flat like hoola. This bronzer has a sort of satin-y finish to it, so it looks like skin, but again there is no detectable shimmer. Best of all it's a good price at $18. The cute compact is nice and slim, has a mirror, and there is no space wasted on a useless brush. I will definitely be repurchasing bahama mama when I run out.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/30/2011 3:49:00 PM More reviews by harlotoscara

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I got this product for free during a promo at Rexall and I am absolutely in love. It's not at all orange (at least not on my skin), matte and the perfect contouring shade for my skin tone. I also use it to blend out or soften eyeshadows.If I was on the paler side of the spectrum, I would stay away from this product, because I can easily see how this could make someone with lighter skin look muddy. The only thing I dislike about this product is how powdery it is, but other than that, it's my go to contour powder.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/7/2010 4:39:00 PM More reviews by maliastyle

I'm surprised this doesn't get a bigger outpouring of love. Bahama Mama is the bronzer/contouring product I've been looking for forever - it has zero shimmer and not a lick of an orange undertone. It's a gorgeous, medium to deep matte bronze brown that works incredibly well as my go-to contour shade for my NC25 skin.

Yes, be warned, it is very pigmented, so a light hand is more than necessary. I usually put on my liquid foundation, then buff in Bahama Mama with a contour brush using the 3-shape method. I then apply a light dusting of powder to set it, and follow with blush. It's very effective in giving my round face a sculpted look.

In terms of packaging, it's okay - I don't find it that fragile, but I also don't toss it around. Not a bad price, either - it's $26 at Rexall pharmacies in Canada.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/27/2010 11:59:00 AM More reviews by chelsea7387

I have very fair skin and find this color is best for contouring. I love that it's just brown- no gold, no shimmer, no ORANGE!! YAY! I just don't like that it's on the expensive side and in a cheesy cardboard case. It's easy to break and that's just disappointing =(

rated 5 of 5 on 11/3/2010 3:57:00 AM More reviews by ExoticDoll

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is HG status for me. I like this even more than NARS Casino, which I also have. This is a matte, true brown-toned bronzer. I like to use this to contour as well as all over my face and neck (and sometimes to contour my decollage. ;) This imparts an extremely natural tanned complexion for me. That is why I love it so much. When I wear this, it isn't obvious that I am wearing a bronzer like it is with other bronzers. I think the key with this is to very, very lightly tap your brush onto it and then blow or tap off the excess. The texture is so velvety and smooth that it immediately picks up tons of product onto the bristles of your brush, so use a very light hand with this. If you use this correctly, you will love it -- trust me! (NC42 in MAC for ref.) HTH!