December 20, 2014 | 1667 users online

Pressed Powders - TheBalm - Sexy Mama

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/30/2010 11:08:00 PM More reviews by machochick

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

It's a mattifying powder...but I prefer not to touch up that much when I got out. And this doesn't really do the job...I prefer the oil blotting papers rather than putting on another layer of powder on my face. This also make my face ashy. Not for all skin type.
I do love the packaging though, and it smells nice.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/22/2010 10:55:00 AM More reviews by maliastyle

I hesitated buying this, because I already have a few blotting and mid-day touch up staples - MAC Blot and Mineralize Skinfinish, to name a couple, which I always use after blotting with Shiseido papers. Seems redundant, but I'm just that oily.

I took a chance on this based on the high reviews, and I'm so glad I did. It's $26, so not your most inexpensive (nor your priciest) option, but it's totally worth it. It looked almost too beige in-store (in fact, I mistook it as a highlighter when I first saw it), but it's completely transluscent. It mattifies like no one's business, but doesn't cake up, nor does it accentuate dry areas. It keeps the oilies at bay a little longer than all of my other blotting powders - perhaps thanks to the perfectly combined mixture of starch, rice, cotton powder and silica. The packaging is cute; I love the graphic of the blond 50s pin up girl, and the biodegradable packaging pleases my eco-friendly self.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/9/2010 3:41:00 PM More reviews by flairgirl8

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is an absolute staple of mine. Excellent for mid-day blotting and anti-shine touch-up when used with Boscia blotting papers. This is very transculent and blends into the skin easily. Now, let's talk about the seriously cute packaging. TheBalm has the best packaging! Love the small size cardboard case instead of wasteful plastic. Also love the more natural, paraben free ingredients. The only thing I am not really a fan of is the mirror. It is too small to really be functional.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/18/2010 3:15:00 PM More reviews by gingerrama

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

Recent discovery--one of those snap decision purchases. And it's one of the best transparent pressed finishing powders I've ever used.

Finely-milled, applies like a dream (use a brush on clean fingertips), simply evens, smoothes out, and slightly mattifies skin without adding any colour. So long as you just add a rapid sheer once-over: yes, like anything, you can pile it on and overdo it. I'm pale (somewhere around NW05-10, can look NW15 when you take freckles into account) and this doesn't change the colour of my face.

No irritation, no clogging, and neither drying nor greasifying: I guess due to the cunning balance between corn and rice starch and cotton powder on the one hand, and silica and dimethicone on the other. Beautiful finish, anyway.

I'm really just using this as a finishing touch on top of sunscreen (Vancream 30: even once settled to its nice velvety finish, it can still look a bit greasy). I do use a mineral powder, but just for spot-concealing, and otherwise am not a big fan of loose powders cos I tend to spill them everywhere. The Sexy is great, as it's pressed rather than loose; yet is more or less "mineral" and lacks talc; and, unlike many pressed powders, isn't chock full of oily things to get the powder to stick together in pressed form. The sticky bits here are silica and dimethicone (yay for my skin's favourite 'cone--dislikes cyclomethicones which are everywhere these days) and the polymer-items. Otherwise, a minimal formulation, fragrance-free, and cruelty-free.

I don't get very greasy, but this stuff is also good for touch-ups at the end of the day, without looking like you've caked on extra layers of slap.

May seem slightly pricy compared to drugstore, but cheap as chips compared to "green" brands (that are often about as green as this stuff), let alone department store and high-end; and worth every cent as it works as well as the best translucent powders I've used, of any sort. USD 19.00, CAD 26.00 for 7.08 g. Ooh yes, and the packaging is ever so pretty! Little cardboard rectangular compact with mirror, magnetic closure, and an outer sleeve. With '50s pinup on the front of each. Don't be deceived by the cutesyness: this stuff works. UPDATE 05/2010: went over to Laura Mercier's much pricier stuff for a while, had some breakouts, now back on Sexy Mama. Which is--on me, anyway--much, much better.

INGREDIENTS: boron nitride, zea mays (corn) starch, polyethylene, silica, isoeicosane, zinc stearate, PTFE, styrene/DVB crosspolymer, polyisobutene, dimethylimidazolidiinone rice starch, gossypium herbaceum (cotton) powder, sodium dehydroacetate, dimethicone [+/- mica, iron oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499)] continued >>

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/13/2009 4:48:00 PM More reviews by maquillagequeen

Bottom line: This works, and it works well. One of the few powders to really mattify the skin for a significant amount of time!

The compact looks adorable, but trendy, a little bit style over substance, but don't let that fool you because what's inside definitely does it's job.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/14/2009 12:26:00 AM More reviews by spooky_natalya

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

good, but not great for me. gives me this weird yellow glow on my pale NC15 skin, and it didn't really keep the oilies away as much as i had hoped. still a decent product but i'm still on the search for my HG. packaging is mega cute though.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/5/2009 11:56:00 PM More reviews by CouturePrincess

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have the worlds oitlest skin....no matter what i have used in the past...from scrubs to the litte oil blotting papers....even public toilet seat covers..( a tip i got from Tyra banks) i still get oily later. but this product keeps the oil away all day. it is transparent. and can be used alone or under your makeup. i highly recommend the product, I would buy it againa nd it is worth every penny

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/5/2009 10:43:00 AM More reviews by soleil_kitty

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Alright, I bought this powder after falling in love with the glosses and the eyeshadows of the same brand. The reviews on MUA only helped with the decision. The powder goes on smoothly and leaves a very subtle wash of colour. It is translucent, yes, but it evens out the skin tone nonetheless. A bit of concealer here and there and it's a perfect, silky, natural finish. I totally love that about it. It also does reduce shine and it keeps oil at bay for the better part of a day, but around noon my face gets shiny still. So it's either time for touch ups or blotting papers. That aside I'm willing to give this all five lippies because it has better staying power than all other powders I tried and I love the effect it has on my skin. No break-outs! It's vice versa, actually. My skin has become pretty balanced and that's quite the achievement because I have hyper sensitive skin and usually get problems.

I also love the packing! It's so cute.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/5/2009 7:30:00 PM More reviews by MsAzNqTpRiNcEsS

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

i prefer this over Blot. It makes my face matte (but not looking overly powdery)...and i feel i just look more polished with this stuff vs. my other pressed powders...goes on translucent...thumbs up.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/30/2009 12:02:00 PM More reviews by RainbowsUnicornsAndHGfdn

Click "continued" for photos.

Pros:
- soft, smooth application
- finely milled
- never looks powdery
- truly translucent, deposits no color at all
- extremely effective at mattifying: one brush stroke on a grease face (me at 3pm), all traces of shine are replaced with a sheer, natural matte look (as opposed to thick & monotone)
- results last for hours and hours. I've never had to touch up with this twice in one day
- cute, cardboard packaging that holds up impressively well. I've had mine for 10 months and carry it in my purse almost daily, the corners are still perfectly perpendicular
- the small, flat, light packaging fits snugly in any makeup bag (compared to your average bulky, round, thick compact).

Cons:
- kinda pricey, but I guess that can be justified with how little is needed for each application.

Conclusion:
- thoughtfully-designed packaging, pretty-looking, and most important of all, it works.

Please excuse the dirty packaging *hides face*... the cardboard packaging has an uneven surface so it's hard to clean :( though that really is proof of how much I love and use it :)

continued >>