July 23, 2014 | 1146 users online

Pressed Powders - TheBalm - Sexy Mama

rated 5 of 5 on 12/13/2009 4:48:00 PM More reviews by maquillagequeen

Bottom line: This works, and it works well. One of the few powders to really mattify the skin for a significant amount of time!

The compact looks adorable, but trendy, a little bit style over substance, but don't let that fool you because what's inside definitely does it's job.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/14/2009 12:26:00 AM More reviews by spooky_natalya

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

good, but not great for me. gives me this weird yellow glow on my pale NC15 skin, and it didn't really keep the oilies away as much as i had hoped. still a decent product but i'm still on the search for my HG. packaging is mega cute though.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/5/2009 11:56:00 PM More reviews by CouturePrincess

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have the worlds oitlest skin....no matter what i have used in the past...from scrubs to the litte oil blotting papers....even public toilet seat covers..( a tip i got from Tyra banks) i still get oily later. but this product keeps the oil away all day. it is transparent. and can be used alone or under your makeup. i highly recommend the product, I would buy it againa nd it is worth every penny

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/5/2009 10:43:00 AM More reviews by soleil_kitty

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Alright, I bought this powder after falling in love with the glosses and the eyeshadows of the same brand. The reviews on MUA only helped with the decision. The powder goes on smoothly and leaves a very subtle wash of colour. It is translucent, yes, but it evens out the skin tone nonetheless. A bit of concealer here and there and it's a perfect, silky, natural finish. I totally love that about it. It also does reduce shine and it keeps oil at bay for the better part of a day, but around noon my face gets shiny still. So it's either time for touch ups or blotting papers. That aside I'm willing to give this all five lippies because it has better staying power than all other powders I tried and I love the effect it has on my skin. No break-outs! It's vice versa, actually. My skin has become pretty balanced and that's quite the achievement because I have hyper sensitive skin and usually get problems.

I also love the packing! It's so cute.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/5/2009 7:30:00 PM More reviews by MsAzNqTpRiNcEsS

i prefer this over Blot. It makes my face matte (but not looking overly powdery)...and i feel i just look more polished with this stuff vs. my other pressed powders...goes on translucent...thumbs up.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/30/2009 12:02:00 PM More reviews by RainbowsUnicornsAndHGfdn

Click "continued" for photos.

Pros:
- soft, smooth application
- finely milled
- never looks powdery
- truly translucent, deposits no color at all
- extremely effective at mattifying: one brush stroke on a grease face (me at 3pm), all traces of shine are replaced with a sheer, natural matte look (as opposed to thick & monotone)
- results last for hours and hours. I've never had to touch up with this twice in one day
- cute, cardboard packaging that holds up impressively well. I've had mine for 10 months and carry it in my purse almost daily, the corners are still perfectly perpendicular
- the small, flat, light packaging fits snugly in any makeup bag (compared to your average bulky, round, thick compact).

Cons:
- kinda pricey, but I guess that can be justified with how little is needed for each application.

Conclusion:
- thoughtfully-designed packaging, pretty-looking, and most important of all, it works.

Please excuse the dirty packaging *hides face*... the cardboard packaging has an uneven surface so it's hard to clean :( though that really is proof of how much I love and use it :)

continued >>

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/16/2009 5:01:00 AM More reviews by Faster

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This was a rec from another MUA'er & im very glad i tried it! My skin = dry/SD prone, so i always wear a rich SS & a liquid foundation which is a lot for a powder to keep semi-matte (which is what i want).I wear MAC's F&B foundation a lot too which is on the shiny side.Enter TheBalms Sexy Mama....i got this half price (10) here in Ireland so its usually about 20-22.It comes in a small cardboard compact....sounds awful but its not as it has a gorgeous pin-up picture on the front & a little cardboard sheath to protect it/keep it from opening (it also has a magnetic closure). Previous to this i had used MAC's Blot Powder in Light - i am *very* pale & like it that way.Any hint of colour in a powder will show up on my face & make me look orangey so i am always wary of powders that claim to be "translucent" as they rarely are on my skin, but Sexy Mama is just that - its like applying a veil of matte-ness over my MU...and it stays put for the day! Little if no touch-ups required!

I was a bit sad about the packaging - as i always enjoyed having my MAC compact with me...but my powder doesnt last for ever so the packaging that holds its doesnt need to.As the SexyMama compact is cardboard it is biodegradable & the little mirror can always be taken out and used in a purse etc. (its not great in the compact as it gets murky from the powder...but i always take my own mirror with me anyway).I apply this with my Bourjois Kabuki brush (there is no applicator with this powder) - i also got the mini TheBalm Kabuki brush which is great for putting into your makeup bag & its great for use around the nose an area where bigger brushes falter.

All in all a fantastic product.I will repurchase.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/13/2009 2:49:00 PM More reviews by Sarem

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I would buy this product again if I can finish mine. Ive been using this 3 months but it still seems new and unused. This product totally gives a matte look and you dont even need any touch ups during a day. I also adore its cute packaging and I9 USD is a reasonable price too. This translucent sets your powder for hours and hours. I am thinking to own hot mama blush too.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/27/2009 4:39:00 PM More reviews by Nemesister

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I like this more than my MAC select sheer powder because it is less powdery & does not change colour. Never looks cakey or powdery, never changes colour & it is very sheer but still provides some coverage. My only complaint is the lame mirror that comes w/it, but the packaging is cute!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/26/2009 9:37:00 PM More reviews by ArizonaAngel

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I love translucent powders as I really hate ones that add color to my face - it just usually ends up looking strange over any foundation or concealer I may have on. I decided to try this one out based on the great reviews. The packaging is just adorable and I don't mind the fact that it is cardboard (although something more sturdy may look better, as the ends of the cardboard box may get a bit dog-eared after a while). It is a nice, fine, translucent powder that works very well to set make-up as well as touch up any shinies I may get throughout the day. It doesn't add any color nor does it look cakey (although I don't use a ton, if you put alot of anything on it will get cakey). Doesn't make me look ghosty or settle into any fine lines. One gripe is that it doesn't come with a sponge or anything, but I use my own anyway. It does have a nice-sized mirror though. Great product and I will repurchase.