TheBalm Sexy Mama

4.2

mica, boron nitride, polyethylene (and) PTFE, zea mays (Corn) starch, silica, isoeicosane, zinc stearate, styrene/DVB copolymer, polyisobutene, dimethylimidinone rice starch, iron oxides CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499, gossypium herbaceum (Cotton) powder, sodium dehydroacetate, dimethicone.

on 3/10/2011 12:05:00 PM

I'm in L-O-V-E with this product! I'm 43 and have very dry skin on my face. I use a lot of moisturizer so although my skin isn't oily at all, I do end up quite 'dewy'. I use this to take that down a notch; because when you're in your 40s too much 'dewy' does not come off as youthful, it comes off as 'greasy'.

I apply moisturizer, foundation, and creme blush and then I use this. I make sure to go over my eyelids with whatever is left on the brush so that my eyeshadow goes on smoothly.

All of the finely-milled powders just weren't doing it for me anymore. Even though I don't have wrinkles they gave me a very 'old' cast to my face and heaven forbid I have a dry patch on my skin--then I'd look old, dead and crinkly! This powder does not do that.

I have a very odd shade of skin/undertone. No one ma can ever agree on it. I'm very pale but I seem to have both pink & yellow undertones? I can't do pink-based makeup at all, but sometimes even the lightest of yellow-based shades look too dark & fake on me. If I'm not rockin' self-tanner then I really can't use foundation, I'll use a slightly tinted moisturizer over skin that has a lot of moisturizer on it. (Give me a shout out, please, if your skintone is also like this and you know of any foundations that work with my type of skintone & appear natural.) This powder does not add any color at all to my skin.

I think the packaging is adorable and it is pretty darn sturdy for being cardboard. It doesn't come with a brush, I use a Tarte kabuki brush that I have.

on 12/28/2010 5:18:00 PM

I love this! Does exactly what's its supposed to, no more no less. It is a very specific product - it eliminate shine and lasts all day without providing coverage or highlighting properties. It is an anti-shine powder and that's all it is, no surprises. I love it because it does one job and does it well. There are many multi-use pressed powders out there that are use to set makeup/concealer, add coverage, etc. but this is exactly what it promises and is dependable. I sweep it onto my T-Zone and do not worry about shine for the rest of the day. Comes in one colour so I'm not sure how well it'd work for darker skinned girls, so that's a minus, and it's pricey in Canada at $30 but I got it on sale and haven't even dented the surface. Adorable packaging with a Marilyn Monroe-esque girl on the front and a handy mirror. Love it!!!

on 6/30/2010 11:09:00 AM

If you are on the market for a pressed, easy to carry with you blotting powder then this is a good choice. It does mattify wonderfully, especially if applied with a sponge or puff, goes on smoothly and is invisible on the skin. It works wonderfully as a touch up powder as it does not become cakey as you layer it on during the day. So, for oilier skintypes that has to tend to their oiliness frequently no matter what I do recommend this. However, if you really just want something to set your make-up with and then forget about it then this is not for you. I find a loose setting powder sets my make-up much better and that the matte finish I like lasts better with my loose powder too. It is not that this is bad, it is only that it requires me to touch-up more. So, all in all a solid four. It does not get a five because there are better setting and blotting powders on the market.

on 6/11/2010 8:22:00 PM

I bought this online as it was on sale to replace my previous powder, and I'm so glad I did. It's a gorgeous retro packaged pressed powder, and does what it says - it's brilliantly mattifying and provides a great finish to makeup. It's also great for touching up oilys during the day. Very finely milled texture, great quality for the price. Will definitely repurchase.

on 4/30/2010 11:08:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

It's a mattifying powder...but I prefer not to touch up that much when I got out. And this doesn't really do the job...I prefer the oil blotting papers rather than putting on another layer of powder on my face. This also make my face ashy. Not for all skin type.
I do love the packaging though, and it smells nice.

on 4/22/2010 10:55:00 AM

I hesitated buying this, because I already have a few blotting and mid-day touch up staples - MAC Blot and Mineralize Skinfinish, to name a couple, which I always use after blotting with Shiseido papers. Seems redundant, but I'm just that oily.

I took a chance on this based on the high reviews, and I'm so glad I did. It's $26, so not your most inexpensive (nor your priciest) option, but it's totally worth it. It looked almost too beige in-store (in fact, I mistook it as a highlighter when I first saw it), but it's completely transluscent. It mattifies like no one's business, but doesn't cake up, nor does it accentuate dry areas. It keeps the oilies at bay a little longer than all of my other blotting powders - perhaps thanks to the perfectly combined mixture of starch, rice, cotton powder and silica. The packaging is cute; I love the graphic of the blond 50s pin up girl, and the biodegradable packaging pleases my eco-friendly self.

on 4/9/2010 3:41:00 PM

This is an absolute staple of mine. Excellent for mid-day blotting and anti-shine touch-up when used with Boscia blotting papers. This is very transculent and blends into the skin easily. Now, let's talk about the seriously cute packaging. TheBalm has the best packaging! Love the small size cardboard case instead of wasteful plastic. Also love the more natural, paraben free ingredients. The only thing I am not really a fan of is the mirror. It is too small to really be functional.

on 2/18/2010 3:15:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Other, Fine

Recent discovery--one of those snap decision purchases. And it's one of the best transparent pressed finishing powders I've ever used.

Finely-milled, applies like a dream (use a brush on clean fingertips), simply evens, smoothes out, and slightly mattifies skin without adding any colour. So long as you just add a rapid sheer once-over: yes, like anything, you can pile it on and overdo it. I'm pale (somewhere around NW05-10, can look NW15 when you take freckles into account) and this doesn't change the colour of my face.

No irritation, no clogging, and neither drying nor greasifying: I guess due to the cunning balance between corn and rice starch and cotton powder on the one hand, and silica and dimethicone on the other. Beautiful finish, anyway.

I'm really just using this as a finishing touch on top of sunscreen (Vancream 30: even once settled to its nice velvety finish, it can still look a bit greasy). I do use a mineral powder, but just for spot-concealing, and otherwise am not a big fan of loose powders cos I tend to spill them everywhere. The Sexy is great, as it's pressed rather than loose; yet is more or less "mineral" and lacks talc; and, unlike many pressed powders, isn't chock full of oily things to get the powder to stick together in pressed form. The sticky bits here are silica and dimethicone (yay for my skin's favourite 'cone--dislikes cyclomethicones which are everywhere these days) and the polymer-items. Otherwise, a minimal formulation, fragrance-free, and cruelty-free.

I don't get very greasy, but this stuff is also good for touch-ups at the end of the day, without looking like you've caked on extra layers of slap.

May seem slightly pricy compared to drugstore, but cheap as chips compared to "green" brands (that are often about as green as this stuff), let alone department store and high-end; and worth every cent as it works as well as the best translucent powders I've used, of any sort. USD 19.00, CAD 26.00 for 7.08 g. Ooh yes, and the packaging is ever so pretty! Little cardboard rectangular compact with mirror, magnetic closure, and an outer sleeve. With '50s pinup on the front of each. Don't be deceived by the cutesyness: this stuff works. UPDATE 05/2010: went over to Laura Mercier's much pricier stuff for a while, had some breakouts, now back on Sexy Mama. Which is--on me, anyway--much, much better.

INGREDIENTS: boron nitride, zea mays (corn) starch, polyethylene, silica, isoeicosane, zinc stearate, PTFE, styrene/DVB crosspolymer, polyisobutene, dimethylimidazolidiinone rice starch, gossypium herbaceum (cotton) powder, sodium dehydroacetate, dimethicone [+/- mica, iron oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499)] continued >>

Bottom line: This works, and it works well. One of the few powders to really mattify the skin for a significant amount of time!

The compact looks adorable, but trendy, a little bit style over substance, but don't let that fool you because what's inside definitely does it's job.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

good, but not great for me. gives me this weird yellow glow on my pale NC15 skin, and it didn't really keep the oilies away as much as i had hoped. still a decent product but i'm still on the search for my HG. packaging is mega cute though.