Green Tea Tea-Bag Toner

4.4

Price: $

Price: $

green tea (tea bags or leaves), preferably organic. step 1: brew a cup and drink. step 2: massage the used tea bag on cleansed face :D or:: you can refrigerate the teabags to use them cold, or use a cotton ball dipped in the tea on your face rather than teabags...whatever you feel comfortable with :)

on 3/22/2011 10:50:00 AM

I have just started using, but I have a comment. Why not just use the tea bag as a toner? I have been drinking my green tea and then using the tea bag as a toner. It feels good, is dirt cheap, and the tea is good for you both inside and out. From my reading it has healing and sunscreen properties and seems to work differently from all the other stuff we use so the benefits are additive and super simple.

on 3/17/2011 5:09:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I'm really amazed by some of the stuff I've found here on MUA. This is definitely one of those things.

I hadn't actually used a toner in a long time. I never felt like they did much for me and most of them were really harsh. Recently I've been trying to use more natural products and while looking at reviews I stumbled across this. I figured it didn't hurt to try it since I already had green tea bags on hand.

I actually made mine using both green tea and chamomile as I saw another reviewer did. I used one tea bag of each type in about a half cup of hot water. After letting it steep for a few minutes I added a handful of ice cubes to cool it down quickly (I'm impatient!). I applied it all over my face using a cotton round. It felt fantastic. Nice and soothing on my easily irritated skin.

I noticed a BIG difference in oil production with this. Several hours after use I was just starting to get a sheen on my face instead of the normal "oil slick" look. Another huge benefit is that it really got rid of redness, both in my cheeks and around a couple acne spots.

I did notice about five minutes or so after I applied it that my skin felt a little tight (maybe at the point that the wetness had all evaporated?) but that only lasted a minute or two and then went back to feeling comfortable again.

I can't really say if it's had any effect on my acne since it's only my second day using it, but I will update if I find any difference from it (good or bad). Even if it doesn't help I will continue to use it just for the oil and redness benefits.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I couldn't help but try this out after hearing some good things.
My mom and I drink green tea like crazy, and I figured I might as well use the teabags for something.
After only ONE application (I put it on after using my Clarisonic and then went to bed with it on) my skin looked so much better. I have freckles (not sun damage) and moderate acne (which has been clearing up since buying the Clarisonic). This green tea brought out my freckles and calmed down my acne almost completely!
Because people complain of it not working after a year or so, though, I think I'm only going to use it twice or three times a week rather than everyday. It's working wonders and I don't want my skin to get immune to it!

on 2/7/2011 9:37:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse

I really like using green tea as a toner. I just brew a cup of green tea using 2 tea bags, take out the tea bags and use them on my eyes if they're feeling tired or puffy. I put the green tea in the fridge and leave it to cool for 10 minutes whilst I wash my face. I then take it out the fridge, dip a cotton pad in it, squeeze out the excess and rub it on my face. It leaves the skin feeling so refreshed and cool, whilst soothing it and reducing redness. I notice a reduction in breakouts when using green tea as a toner, and it minimises oil production on my t-zone aswell. Can't beat the price and it's natural! I'll definately keep on using this.

UPDATE: this stuff ROCKS. I've been dabbing it on all day, to help with the pain of a flare up, and my skin has calmed down faster than I can remember it ever calming down before. I made a cup of strong tea (3 green teabags), put it in a squeezy bottle and put it in the fridge. The redness has gone, the pain has gone, the bumps are smoothing, and it feels lush. In fact, I don't even need moisturiser today, which is great because it ALWAYS hurts on a flare up. Yay! Green tea I love you!!!! Going to add a squeeze of lemon too when my flare up is gone to see if that makes it even better.
---

I drink this every day, and I have rosacea so my skin was on a massive flare up (literally I've been dabbing cold flannels on my face in the middle of a restaurant because I was in so much pain). I had a cup of it next to me, cooled down, so I thought: I'll just stick it on my face and see if it helps.

It seemed to!! I don't know about the long term effects - I'll have to update - but short term my skin burning has calmed WAY down, and the tightness has also diminished massively. still have red skin but it doesn't hurt anymore. very happy!

Have made a toner of it and put it in the fridge: will see what happens over the next few days. With rosacea it's usually a good idea to use things on your skin that you can actually eat as well - it means your body won't react to it as much - so this could be a godsend. Yay!

on 10/18/2010 8:10:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I drink a lot of green tea - and for about a month I started saving the bags for my face. I could technically make a toner but that seems a waste of green tea I could drink and the used tea bag is so much less wasteful and easier. I basically rub (or pat) the tea bag around my face after washing with regular cleanser. I re-wet the bag in warm water -squeeze excess out (but gently) and then pat on my face. I let it dry. Around the time that your face is slightly dry- it is a good time to use moisturizer. Personally I see a lot less redness and it gets rid of the occasional break-out or pimple in a day. It's worth trying!

on 7/8/2010 3:00:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

So after reading all of the rave reviews on the MUA page, I decided to give this a shot. I made a cup of lemon ginger green tea (organic) and let it soak for an hour and then poured the mixture into a bottle and cooled it in the fridge. I made it again after 2 weeks like people suggested, the next time making it stronger since I really didn't go through much in 2 weeks. I have to say, it does feel nice on the skin, especially since I keep it in the fridge so it is nice and cool. However, I did not notice miracles like the others. Just felt like putting cool water on my skin and letting it evaporate. It did also remove some excess make up. That being said, I will continue to use it as a toner as it does the job I believe a toner should do which is soothe the skin and remove excess oils and make up that my cleanser might have missed. It is cheap and really easy to make (basically just making tea) and then store it in a travel bottle (or whatever you like) in the fridge.

PROS: cheap, refreshing, organic
CONS: not a miracle or anything, have to store in the fridge

If you're looking for a cheap, refreshing, natural toner that does the job, this is the simple solution. Anything more and you'll have to look further.

on 6/24/2010 3:46:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

this is one of those gems you just stummble across on makeupalley, and it truly changes your life! i swapped out my usual morning coffee with green tea about 2 weeks ago for antioxidant purposes, as well as the metabolism boosting (since i have been on an diet and exercise plan) coffee was also making me crash badly and i became sensitive and extremely irritable by the evening. drinking green tea has dramaticaly improved my mood, energy, and sugar cravings since i have switched. i also sometimes half it with white tea.

i was without a toner in my skin care regimen and saw this had awesome reviews, so i decided to try it out (i use Aqua glycolic line, and have not been using the toner, since i have to wait for it to be ordered through my pharmacy, and have yet to do that =/ ) as i boil water for my tea, i set aside a seperate glass with its own teabag for toner. pour this first, let it sit, then pop it in the fridge to cool down.

I like my toner cool/cold, it feels refreshing, and tightens my pores slightly more than warm. having it cold also reminds me of the 'putting an icecube on a zit to take down swelling and redness' theory. this really has been awesome for my face. it has reduced overall redness and much more even skin tone, brought down swelling of a couple of recent blemishes each time i use it, skin is firmer, pores look smaller (which is probably a combo of the glycolic acid clearing them, and the toners overall tightening of my skin, pores dont actualy shrink). its reassuring to know, im putting something on my skin, that has so many anti oxidant and fighting free radical properties (not sure if it actualy helps this way topicaly, but i am also drinking it a ton) and is natural. i am most excited about the cut in my oil production it has made. i did not use this intentionaly for this purpose, yet excess oil is one of my biggest issues. i had acutaly a couple days before trying the green tea as toner ordered a prescription sulfur based loition from my derm to reduce my oil. it really has become a bigger problem now that its summer. yet i havent pick up my rx, because i dont really need it!

i understand i am probably in the honeymoon phase of this, but either way, how my skin is looking is phenominal,because its rare if i find a product that i use that continualy works without causing issues. so, i am prepared that this may work topically only for a while so i will pick up my sulfer cream, and order my aqua glycolic toner to have in case this happens. i will still keep drinking green tea no matter what tho. will obviously have to update

It is fun to make your own toner that's just a start! I boil one tea bag to every cup of water, I bought to travel containers from walmart. I keep my mix in the fridge, and make a new batch every 2 weeks. I swear my skin looks so nice, my makeup is looking better and most important the unwanted oils are getting kicked to the curb ladies. Normally, by the end of the day, I can feel my face getting oily without touching it, now I am touching my face to see if it really is true, yes we are a match together forever. Beware to make sure you use a moisturizer daily, this tightens within minutes, which is great but you don't want the fine dehydration lines to step in from lack of moisture.

on 5/22/2010 6:25:00 PM

Yes it's true!! Green Tea is probably the best toner u can use. I have acne problems and also oily skin in my forehead and nose. I've been using Green tea as a toner for over a year now. Since it's been a long time, it seems that my skin is like resistant to it now, so I tried new brands like Mario Badescu, Kiehl's, Sisley, La Mer and Clinique. EVERY SINGLE time I stopped using green tea and tried a new toner, I broke out and had redness. Green tea is AMAZING the first months u use it, unfortunately, after a year it looses its anti acne effects, but other than that u can use it all year round and will make u glow A MUST HOMEMADE REMEDY FOR ANYONE WHO WANTS BEAUTIFUL COMPLEXION

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products