November 20, 2014 | 1943 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Monistat - Chafing Relief Powder-Gel

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/11/2008 9:56:00 PM More reviews by lil_me

I purchase this little gem at my local Target in the feminine hygiene area and it was on sale for a little over $5.

Originally, this product was made as a skin protectant for chafing relief.

The following information was retrieved from the Monistat website (www.soothingcare.com)

~Non-greasy Powder-Gel™ skin protectant formula with Dimethicone. Dries to form a silky, breathable barrier to fight friction;

~Prevents chafing and irritation caused by moisture, heat, and movement. Ideal for treating everyday intimate discomforts of athletes, plus-size women, new moms, and bikini area waxers or shavers;

~Fast-acting formula comforts chafed skin. Works with just one application;

~Fragrance-free and non-staining. Discreet relief without damage to your undergarments;

~Non-irritating formula with Vitamin E and soothing Aloe. Gentle enough for daily use on even your most delicate areas.

Now, I don't know who discovered this, but because the active ingredient is dimethicone 1.2%, someone decided to use this on her face and voila...a face primer emerged...magical!! It feels really silky going on and my pores look somewhat diminished. As for oil control, it works well.

It is one of the more economical primer I have tried (and I have tried many--Smashbox, Dr Brandt's Pores No More, MAC, Sephora, kaolin clay, rice powder, silica, boron nitride, silk powder, pearl powder, and countless others...) and I'm pretty happy with this one. This won't be my holy grail item, but it'll be one I'll reach for time & time again!

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/11/2008 6:03:00 PM More reviews by adrenirushxaudri

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I hadn't used a primer before this one...and now, I'm so glad I didn't have to go through all the name-brand expensive ones. It makes my skin feel amazing! I've got larger pores and the gel smooths them out and makes them less visible. It goes on beautifully under my Dream Matte Mousse and there's really no need for a moisturizer before I put this on...

My makeup still looks flawless at the end of the day.

UPDATE: I really, really wanted this to work out! Oh my, did I ever. I loved how velvety soft this made my face & foundation feel, it did just what everyone's been saying, it worked wonderfully as a primer. But after a week of wearing it, i noticed some dry patches...they were few and small, so I didn't pay much attention to them. After a while, the patches got bigger around my chin, so I stopped putting the product there...well, I used it around my eyes so my concealer would stay put but I noticed some bad patches of dry skin there as well. They all went away after I stopped using the product (and did some heavy scrubbing...) I'm blaming it on this product, as bad as I hate to, because it was the only thing in my routine that I changed....I'm just glad I can still use it as a hand cream.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/5/2008 9:32:00 PM More reviews by gloria_conway

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I used Smashbox on half of my face & Monistat on the other half. The only difference that I could feel was that the Monistat was heavier. At the end of the day, my foundation, blush & eye makeup all looked good.

I'll report back if it causes any skin irritation, but I'm using this primer instead of the more expensive ones.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/4/2008 1:09:00 AM More reviews by ESlollipop

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I bought this as an alternative to my Laura Mercier Oil free primer. I wanted something I could use everyday so I wouldnt waste the expensive LMOFP. I actually haven't stopped using this since I bought it. It leaves a nice silky texture and helps foundation stay on longer. Fortunately, it hasnt broken me out or anything negative. I'll definitely buy again!

rated 3 of 5 on 4/28/2008 12:13:00 AM More reviews by SheKnowsItAll

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I finally tried this product today...

The benefits stated by other reviewers:
- To help minimize oil
- To help minimize the appearence of large pores by "filling them in"
- To make foundation application easier
- To help keep moisture IN and prevent acne caused from foundation
- To Help "Staying Power" of foundation and shadows

Heres what I got:
-Around $7.00 at Target
-It goes on super creamy and smooth, what a wonderful velvety feeling.
- Over all I didn't SEE much of a difference good or bad with this as far as my foundation/ face is concerened. My face still looked oily after 3-4 hours (but I live in FL so thats not unusual), my pores still looked the same, the application of foundation wasn't any different, and the staying power of my Revlon Colorstay wasn't effected good or bad, but I'm going to continue to use it because I think the idea of creating a barrier between your skin and foundation is a good idea.

-The one thing I DID notice was that after applying this on my lids, I opted NOT to apply my usually Urban Decay Primer Potion shadow base and I noticed at the end of the day my shadow was still vibrant and hadn't creased and that's after using a waxy/creamy shade stick (which are more likely to crease) and loose pigment. So... I would definitely RECOMMEND THIS AS AN EYESHADOW BASE.

-I'll update this if anything changes.

UPDATE: This has become a "must have" in terms of my mineral foundation application. For whatever reason, my mineral foundation will start to disappear in a matter of 2 hours on me. I avoid touching my face yet it becomes shiny and the foundation just starts to disappear. If I apply this stuff as a base before the mineral foundation, I no longer look shiny and my foundation will last for around 7 hours I can even take a nap with my face on the pillow and not worry about my make up rubbing off. It also makes the application smoother and more even. Another thing I like to use this gel for is when I tweeze my eye brows. I'm not sure why, but when I use this gel on my eye brows before tweezing, it makes tweezing smoother with less breakage of the hairs AND it makes it less painful. I dont know WHY it works that way, it just does (for Me anyway). So yes, I have come to Love and Rely on this stuff. continued >>

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/27/2008 2:44:00 PM More reviews by endeara

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Oh my gosh! I stumbled upon these reviews here looking for a good value on a primer. I have only used one primer before-it was a sample of Smashbox's Bronze Photo Finish-so I have little basis of comparison. When I put it on however, I recalled the same cream to velvet powder finish on my pores and I had to laugh.

That being said, I used this under my mineral makeup this week at work and noticed better staying power. Okay...nothing to write home about, but for the money, ease, and versatility of the product, I would be willing to repurchase.

Then came last night. I was the emcee at our local high school's grand march and heavier makeup was required. I used this and layered on a light coat of Cover Girl's Tru Blend whipped foundation and then applied some of the mineral powder. Good gracious, I looked stunning!-if I dare say it. My cranky 34- year old skin hadn't looked so good in...well...ever. It looked so natural too! And it lasted for the whole 8 hours until I washed-which I was reluctant to do.

Thank you Make up alley.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/21/2008 10:51:00 PM More reviews by Hisoneandonly

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Makeup primers are a step that I will skip if I am short on time. They can be pricey considering the frequency of use. I thought I would give this a try after reading on Makeup Talk that the results were same if not better than Smashbox, English Ideas and other primers.

I got mine at Wal-mart for several dollars, took it home and couldn't wait to try it. The results were amazing! My foundation glided on. My pores and fine lines did look smoother and the finish lasted all day long.

I have other primers but decided that since the result was the same that I will spend the money I normally spend at Sephora on something else.

Try it. If you don't like it then use it for its intended purpose!

UPDATE: After all this time, I still come back to this as a primer for my foundation. I like the way my skin feels with it on and my makeup blends much better. The finish is flawless as always. I love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/20/2008 4:26:00 PM More reviews by wildesigns

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Wow! I am sold on this! I tried it for the 1st time today and it held up solid for 9.5 hours (when I washed off my warpaint!). I have an oily T-zone and I was nervous about it but let me say, my face looked fresh & nice all day with no blotting necessary and I didn't even get the undereye smudges that I usually do at the end of the day! I did try it as an eyeshadow primer just to see what would happen and I had the slightest creasing at the end of the day. All in all, this is far better than any primer I'v used in the past! Definitely recommend!

rated 2 of 5 on 4/15/2008 12:57:00 AM More reviews by modestgoddess

I bought this after reading tons of testimonials praising it online, and at only 7.00 I figured, "Why not?" After all, other primers can set you back 30-40 dollars apiece.
However, it didn't make my makeup application any smoother, which is one thing I really wanted.
Also, I have a Super shiny face and Huge pores, which it didn't really fix.
In addition, I tried wearing it without foundation (just powder) and the powder starting clumping on my face, which was quite weird looking (and embarrasing)
I'm very sad that it didn't work out because I really wanted a 7 dollar primer. :(

rated 5 of 5 on 4/12/2008 9:02:00 PM More reviews by Jaqueta

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I bought this product because I loved using DHC's Velvet Skin Coat, but I wanted a more inexpensive alternative. At roughly $6.00 a tube, I figured I had nothing to lose. If It didn't work on my face, I'm sure I could find another use for it. However, it works like a dream. It goes on silky smooth and dries to a soft finish. I apply everywhere on my face as it works not only as a foundation primer (giving a totally smooth, gorgeous canvas for my Everyday Minerals) but as a fabulous eyeshadow primer (keeping my eyeshadow from migrating to my browbone, undereye area, etc). I have rosacea and sensitive, breakout-prone skin. In the summer my skin tends to be more combination and in the winter it's a dry, flaky mess. The Monistat gel resolves both these problems making anything I apply look more beautiful. I'd give this more lippies if I could.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No