September 16, 2014 | 1194 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Monistat - Chafing Relief Powder-Gel

rated 5 of 5 on 4/27/2008 2:44:00 PM More reviews by endeara

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Oh my gosh! I stumbled upon these reviews here looking for a good value on a primer. I have only used one primer before-it was a sample of Smashbox's Bronze Photo Finish-so I have little basis of comparison. When I put it on however, I recalled the same cream to velvet powder finish on my pores and I had to laugh.

That being said, I used this under my mineral makeup this week at work and noticed better staying power. Okay...nothing to write home about, but for the money, ease, and versatility of the product, I would be willing to repurchase.

Then came last night. I was the emcee at our local high school's grand march and heavier makeup was required. I used this and layered on a light coat of Cover Girl's Tru Blend whipped foundation and then applied some of the mineral powder. Good gracious, I looked stunning!-if I dare say it. My cranky 34- year old skin hadn't looked so good in...well...ever. It looked so natural too! And it lasted for the whole 8 hours until I washed-which I was reluctant to do.

Thank you Make up alley.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/21/2008 10:51:00 PM More reviews by Hisoneandonly

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Makeup primers are a step that I will skip if I am short on time. They can be pricey considering the frequency of use. I thought I would give this a try after reading on Makeup Talk that the results were same if not better than Smashbox, English Ideas and other primers.

I got mine at Wal-mart for several dollars, took it home and couldn't wait to try it. The results were amazing! My foundation glided on. My pores and fine lines did look smoother and the finish lasted all day long.

I have other primers but decided that since the result was the same that I will spend the money I normally spend at Sephora on something else.

Try it. If you don't like it then use it for its intended purpose!

UPDATE: After all this time, I still come back to this as a primer for my foundation. I like the way my skin feels with it on and my makeup blends much better. The finish is flawless as always. I love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/20/2008 4:26:00 PM More reviews by wildesigns

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Wow! I am sold on this! I tried it for the 1st time today and it held up solid for 9.5 hours (when I washed off my warpaint!). I have an oily T-zone and I was nervous about it but let me say, my face looked fresh & nice all day with no blotting necessary and I didn't even get the undereye smudges that I usually do at the end of the day! I did try it as an eyeshadow primer just to see what would happen and I had the slightest creasing at the end of the day. All in all, this is far better than any primer I'v used in the past! Definitely recommend!

rated 2 of 5 on 4/15/2008 12:57:00 AM More reviews by modestgoddess

I bought this after reading tons of testimonials praising it online, and at only 7.00 I figured, "Why not?" After all, other primers can set you back 30-40 dollars apiece.
However, it didn't make my makeup application any smoother, which is one thing I really wanted.
Also, I have a Super shiny face and Huge pores, which it didn't really fix.
In addition, I tried wearing it without foundation (just powder) and the powder starting clumping on my face, which was quite weird looking (and embarrasing)
I'm very sad that it didn't work out because I really wanted a 7 dollar primer. :(

rated 5 of 5 on 4/12/2008 9:02:00 PM More reviews by Jaqueta

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I bought this product because I loved using DHC's Velvet Skin Coat, but I wanted a more inexpensive alternative. At roughly $6.00 a tube, I figured I had nothing to lose. If It didn't work on my face, I'm sure I could find another use for it. However, it works like a dream. It goes on silky smooth and dries to a soft finish. I apply everywhere on my face as it works not only as a foundation primer (giving a totally smooth, gorgeous canvas for my Everyday Minerals) but as a fabulous eyeshadow primer (keeping my eyeshadow from migrating to my browbone, undereye area, etc). I have rosacea and sensitive, breakout-prone skin. In the summer my skin tends to be more combination and in the winter it's a dry, flaky mess. The Monistat gel resolves both these problems making anything I apply look more beautiful. I'd give this more lippies if I could.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/12/2008 1:07:00 PM More reviews by shawnarene

I was pretty skeptical of this, but decided I had little to lose. I am happy with it. I wanted something to keep me from getting oily during the day and this definitely does the trick. I do not have ANY oil at the end of the day. You can't beat the price and I actually like this better than Smashbox Photofinish and the Laura Geller Spackle.
All that said, I don't see any drastic improvement or difference to the way my make-up actually looks on my face when I have this on, so I gave it a 4. But, for oil and shine control, you can't beat this.
BTW, I have very sensitive skin and the slightest thing can send me into an acne-ridden mess, but no acne whatsoever with this and I have been using for over a month now.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/11/2008 6:56:00 PM More reviews by VeryVain1985

This is a great primer. It has no scent and no color, so this makes a perfect base for my liquid foundation. My foundation last a few hours longer and it's also easier to apply. I also like the texture, the substance can be spreaded very easily. I have some flakes and dryness on some parts of my face, after putting the Monistat you can hardly see the dryness and flakes.

I only wished it would help to control my oily T-zone, because with the summer coming up I really need something that does that job. Right now I'm trying the Peter Thomas Roth mattefying gel, which I will review later.

Overall a great product and very useful for me during the autumn and winter, because my face isn't that oily during those seasons.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/10/2008 7:26:00 PM More reviews by Manillo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

*****Update: So I'm upping the rating on this product. When I applied eyeshadow the first time, minus this, my eyeshadow came off in a couple of hours. With this, my eyeshadow stayed on--true to color. Now, I did apply the first time with my hands and then the second time with a eyeshadow brush...but I still think the Monistat Gel played a big part in retaining the shade.*****
Ok, so I've only used this once as a primer for my eyeshadow. So I will have to update this eventually. However, as an eyeshadow primer, it seems to work well. I didn't feel any need to reapply as I usually do with my eyeshadows and the color still looked very good. As a matter of fact, it looks natural. Granted, it wasn't as bright as when I first put it on but for some reason I don't think the eyeshadows that I use will ever remain like that. Maybe MAC pigments do.

Yes, it was a bit greasy and because I really don't have anything to compare it to, I'm gonna give only 3 lippies. I might raise it (or lower it) once I've had the chance to use others.

However, in its original purpose as a chafe relief gel, it gets 4 lippies! It really does help, but for some reason I have a feeling thats not what most of the ladies checking these reviews want to know.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/8/2008 5:20:00 PM More reviews by bizzietue

UPDATE: After using for a few weeks I did break out in little white heads so I've since stopped using it. I'm pretty sure it was due to the powder content. I've been using Prime Time by Bare Escentuals which is a similar product at a fairly reasonable price ($19) and it doesn't make me breakout (so far). I also think Prime Time does a better job of minimzing my pores and controlling oil.

I really like this as a makeup primer. It really does make a difference in the size of my pores on my cheeks/nose area. My skin feels smooth after applying and my mineral makeup lasts and lasts all day without a retouch. I agree with another reviewer that the key is to apply it sparingly, just a 'lil dab will do ya! ;0) It's great, you should give it a try. (It made more of a difference with my pores than the Clinique pore minimizing line did).

rated 1 of 5 on 4/6/2008 8:48:00 PM More reviews by i_LoVe_FoOd

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This did not make my face look any different than before. All it did was make my make up rub off SO quickly. It kind of broke me out and the next day after using I noticed my face would look dull for a day ot two. Will not repurchase. Kind of disappointing after all the rave reviews.A better alternative id bare minerals mineral veil. I've used it as a primer resulting in a nice smooth finish.