August 21, 2014 | 1811 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Monistat - Chafing Relief Powder-Gel

rated 4 of 5 on 4/12/2008 1:07:00 PM More reviews by shawnarene

I was pretty skeptical of this, but decided I had little to lose. I am happy with it. I wanted something to keep me from getting oily during the day and this definitely does the trick. I do not have ANY oil at the end of the day. You can't beat the price and I actually like this better than Smashbox Photofinish and the Laura Geller Spackle.
All that said, I don't see any drastic improvement or difference to the way my make-up actually looks on my face when I have this on, so I gave it a 4. But, for oil and shine control, you can't beat this.
BTW, I have very sensitive skin and the slightest thing can send me into an acne-ridden mess, but no acne whatsoever with this and I have been using for over a month now.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/11/2008 6:56:00 PM More reviews by VeryVain1985

This is a great primer. It has no scent and no color, so this makes a perfect base for my liquid foundation. My foundation last a few hours longer and it's also easier to apply. I also like the texture, the substance can be spreaded very easily. I have some flakes and dryness on some parts of my face, after putting the Monistat you can hardly see the dryness and flakes.

I only wished it would help to control my oily T-zone, because with the summer coming up I really need something that does that job. Right now I'm trying the Peter Thomas Roth mattefying gel, which I will review later.

Overall a great product and very useful for me during the autumn and winter, because my face isn't that oily during those seasons.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/10/2008 7:26:00 PM More reviews by Manillo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

*****Update: So I'm upping the rating on this product. When I applied eyeshadow the first time, minus this, my eyeshadow came off in a couple of hours. With this, my eyeshadow stayed on--true to color. Now, I did apply the first time with my hands and then the second time with a eyeshadow brush...but I still think the Monistat Gel played a big part in retaining the shade.*****
Ok, so I've only used this once as a primer for my eyeshadow. So I will have to update this eventually. However, as an eyeshadow primer, it seems to work well. I didn't feel any need to reapply as I usually do with my eyeshadows and the color still looked very good. As a matter of fact, it looks natural. Granted, it wasn't as bright as when I first put it on but for some reason I don't think the eyeshadows that I use will ever remain like that. Maybe MAC pigments do.

Yes, it was a bit greasy and because I really don't have anything to compare it to, I'm gonna give only 3 lippies. I might raise it (or lower it) once I've had the chance to use others.

However, in its original purpose as a chafe relief gel, it gets 4 lippies! It really does help, but for some reason I have a feeling thats not what most of the ladies checking these reviews want to know.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/8/2008 5:20:00 PM More reviews by bizzietue

UPDATE: After using for a few weeks I did break out in little white heads so I've since stopped using it. I'm pretty sure it was due to the powder content. I've been using Prime Time by Bare Escentuals which is a similar product at a fairly reasonable price ($19) and it doesn't make me breakout (so far). I also think Prime Time does a better job of minimzing my pores and controlling oil.

I really like this as a makeup primer. It really does make a difference in the size of my pores on my cheeks/nose area. My skin feels smooth after applying and my mineral makeup lasts and lasts all day without a retouch. I agree with another reviewer that the key is to apply it sparingly, just a 'lil dab will do ya! ;0) It's great, you should give it a try. (It made more of a difference with my pores than the Clinique pore minimizing line did).

rated 1 of 5 on 4/6/2008 8:48:00 PM More reviews by i_LoVe_FoOd

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This did not make my face look any different than before. All it did was make my make up rub off SO quickly. It kind of broke me out and the next day after using I noticed my face would look dull for a day ot two. Will not repurchase. Kind of disappointing after all the rave reviews.A better alternative id bare minerals mineral veil. I've used it as a primer resulting in a nice smooth finish.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/2/2008 11:10:00 AM More reviews by Goldylox99

I bought this as a lemming after seeing the reviews on MUA. I have used the Smashbox primers, Laura Geller Spackle, Clarins Instant Smooth Perfecting Touch, Becca Mineral Primer, Laura Mercier Primer, and several others. I tried it several times over the course of a few weeks, and like others have said, it is very similar to Smashbox. It has that silicone slip feeling, and quickly disappears into the skin. However, it can't compete with some of the other primers that seem to add that little extra oomph.

I was going out of town for a combined business/pleasure trip and then a cruise, so I chose to take the Monistat with me as my sole primer, because I thought it would travel well, I wouldn't get upset over losing it, and I needed to minimize the amount of stuff I was taking. Pros: Did an okay job as primer under tinted moisturizer and foundation. Was of great use as an anti-chafing agent when I started to develop blisters on my feet from extensive walking (and actually prevented the blisters from forming!). Packed easily and traveled well. Inexpensive. Cons: Didn't give me that wonderful "your skin is so soft" feeling that I have come to expect with other primers. Even after using an aspirin/honey mask and then applying this, my skin was not so wonderful to touch as when I use other primers. My fave primer combination at the moment is to use Patricia Wexler MMPI Skin Regenerating Serum, and then the Clarins Instant Smooth Perfecting Touch over it. They are both paste-like in their consistency and require a bit of effort to pat (not rub) on, but the look and feel I get is more than worth the effort.

All in all, I said I would repurchase, primarily because of the dual purpose nature of the Monistat - the anti-chafing aspect came in handy, and now that I know it works, I'd rather use an inexpensive product such as this on irritated areas of my body than an expensive primer. And, the fact that it can serve double duty is a bonus!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/29/2008 3:31:00 AM More reviews by tsunamino

As long as you don't mind looking for it in the vag cream aisle, this is a great primer for its price!!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/28/2008 11:46:00 AM More reviews by ws33

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Exactly same results as Smashbox photofinish and a LOT cheaper. I'll never buy smashbox primer again.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/27/2008 9:55:00 AM More reviews by bronzebabe19

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Thank God for MUA! When someone rec'ed this product to me for a primer, they saved me a good $35. I used to use Smashbox photo finish, and it was alright I guess...I tried a few other primers other than Smashbox and was diappointed with all. I heard about Monistat Anti-Chafing gel for a primer. It was only $7 so I picked it up. What was to lose? Wow. I was surprised to find that the chafing gel was so much silkier than the Smashbox...I also heard that is was basically the same ingrediants. This primer makes my makeup last as long as it did with the Photofinish, so being the poor college student that I am, I'm going to save me some money and buy this from now on. Thanks MUA~

rated 4 of 5 on 3/26/2008 11:24:00 AM More reviews by mdorese21

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Dark, Neutral Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Brown

I was expecting to be blown away by this product based on all of the rave reviews found here. In a nutshell, this is for me a inexpensive alternative to getting Velvet skincoat from DHC. Which I love but because I'm so darn oily I still have to use inconjuction with milk of magnesia to keep my face from looking like an oil slick. I will definitely be purchasing a few more tubes because when I got one from wal-mart a few days ago they were kinda low. I did try it alone first and it keep me shine free for about 2-3 hours, same as DHC. Used with M.O.M., I'm good all day. :)