February 1, 2015 | 2050 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Monistat - Chafing Relief Powder-Gel

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/4/2008 11:40:00 AM More reviews by ultimagrl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I really hate to give this product a negative rating but I have to be honest... After I got over the thought of putting a Monistat product on my face, I tried it after reading the reviews several times. I used this after moisturizing and used it under my BE foundation. I will say that my face looked smooth and silky and my makeup did last all day (more so than usual). Unfortunately, this stuff broke me out like nobody's business!!! Ugh. I was so disappointed. So, I guess maybe my review is not that negative overall - if you can use this, then you should get smooth and silky looking skin which lasts all day. It seemed to work well under my mineral makeup and I assume it would work just as well under liquid foundation. I just couldn't use it because of the reaction my skin had but I will use this product as it was intended...just not as a primer for my makeup.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/2/2008 8:07:00 PM More reviews by lvn4jesus

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have an extremely oily t-zone. I have come to the conclusion that there is no absolutely perfect product out there that will banish the oiliness. But there are products out there that will help minimize it. I have tried milk of magnesia, mary kay face primer, smashbox face primer, and some other stuff I can't even remember the name of. I must say, this Monistat chaffing gel works the best. Oiliness is kept at bay much longer compared to using Smashbox. And of course the price is phenomenal. I usually have to blot by 12 noon everyday and the oil absorbing sheet is literally clear by the time I'm done using it. With this stuff, no blotting until late afternoon! I intentionally put some on my chin and forehead and left my nose and cheek area uncovered. A noticed a big difference in the two areas.
It really makes your skin soft. As a woman in her mid-thirties, I have noticed that my skin needs more moisturizer or the oiliness gets worse. I want to avoid anything that is too heavy and this product doesn't give me that feeling. As others have said, a little goes a long way.
I would recommend this product to those who suffer from oily skin and remind them that nothing will control the oiliness completely. But this will help you keep a fresh face look throughout the day.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/31/2008 1:01:00 PM More reviews by sharie42

After reading all the great reviews I thought I would give it try. Unfortunately this product is not for me! Seems to make me create more oil which is odd because it definitely has a matte/powdery feel to it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/28/2008 6:25:00 PM More reviews by donnatd

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Yes, this works!

I've tried other primers, but I got the oilies early on. There seemed to be a greater amount of silicone... these toners were... liquidy.
This product blended right in.

With this... no problem.

I applied this under my morning make-up (Clinique superbalanced)
and altho its a warm day in Pennsylvania, not a change.

My 'face' stayed on, stayed matte, no oily soak thru.
No irritation, etc.

Yes, I'm a convert!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/28/2008 1:54:00 PM More reviews by firework_girl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I had a couple of tubes shipped to me in the UK after reading the rave reviews here. I'd been using the Smashbox Photo Finish primer and was quite happy so the idea of something just as good but at a much cheaper price was something I couldn't say no to. I wish I had.
The first few times I used it, it did a fantastic job and actually seemed to control oil far better than the Smashbox primer. I had a small flare-up of acne which is very unusual for me, I can count on one hand the number of products that have caused this type of reaction & still have fingers left. Thinking it was another product that I was using, I carried on with the Monistat and discontinued the other product. It soon became quite evident that the Monistat was in fact the culprit when I broke out on my chin, cheeks, nose & one area of my forehead. Not just a small outbreak either, huge painful cystic acne and as I said, this is a rare occurence for me. I'm still using retin-a to deal with the aftermath & am using so much concealer to cover the marks left behind that it's ridiculous.
I've since thrown both tubes out & am happily using GOSH's Velvet Touch primer, which is just as good as the Smashbox but for £13. I'd much rather pay a little more than have to spend weeks trying to get my skin back to its usual condition.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/28/2008 1:08:00 AM More reviews by Sophie85

I love this! I have always had problems with my make-up lasting through the day, no matter what I tried, but this keeps it fresh! I also love that it makes my face feel soft!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/21/2008 1:26:00 PM More reviews by suejie

Product is a bargain in comparison to other primers. $7 for a generous tube (a tiny dab spreads a long way) versus $20-$65. It goes on silky and helps with pores and oiliness. Helps for a super even application of mineral powder makeup and seems to help colors stay true and vibrant. However I think I just don't like the feel of primers. It may be the silicone base, but it doesn't feel like my skin can breathe despite it claiming to be a "breathable barrier". Still, on big nights out this stuff goes on so I can insure I look finished and groomed all night.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/17/2008 5:36:00 PM More reviews by desigurl

I have combination/acne-prone skin and I've been using this as a primer for over two weeks and it hasn't made me break out! I was hesitant to get it when I read the reviews of some people breaking out with this, but I decided to try it anyway. It does make my makeup last longer and goes on really smooth. I used to use Smashbox Photofinish before and I see the same end result with this.

I also bought the CVS version because it had the exact same ingredients as the Monistat one and was on clearance for $2.50. But I found that the CVS one was very runny, which isn't the case with the Monistat one. Either way, good product. A must try!

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 5/17/2008 12:38:00 PM More reviews by alilsoapy

I bought this at CVS for around $7.00. i have an oily T zone (especially on my forehead), but didn't notice any decrease in the oil with this product on. It felt smooth upon application and minimized pores... however after two days my forehead broke out with three huge cystic pimples. I think the oil was built up under the product and my skin couldn't breathe. I stopped using the product and sure enough no more pimples emerged. However it took weeks for the pimples to go away and now i'm dealing with scars. i would never use this again!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/11/2008 9:56:00 PM More reviews by lil_me

I purchase this little gem at my local Target in the feminine hygiene area and it was on sale for a little over $5.

Originally, this product was made as a skin protectant for chafing relief.

The following information was retrieved from the Monistat website (www.soothingcare.com)

~Non-greasy Powder-Gel™ skin protectant formula with Dimethicone. Dries to form a silky, breathable barrier to fight friction;

~Prevents chafing and irritation caused by moisture, heat, and movement. Ideal for treating everyday intimate discomforts of athletes, plus-size women, new moms, and bikini area waxers or shavers;

~Fast-acting formula comforts chafed skin. Works with just one application;

~Fragrance-free and non-staining. Discreet relief without damage to your undergarments;

~Non-irritating formula with Vitamin E and soothing Aloe. Gentle enough for daily use on even your most delicate areas.

Now, I don't know who discovered this, but because the active ingredient is dimethicone 1.2%, someone decided to use this on her face and voila...a face primer emerged...magical!! It feels really silky going on and my pores look somewhat diminished. As for oil control, it works well.

It is one of the more economical primer I have tried (and I have tried many--Smashbox, Dr Brandt's Pores No More, MAC, Sephora, kaolin clay, rice powder, silica, boron nitride, silk powder, pearl powder, and countless others...) and I'm pretty happy with this one. This won't be my holy grail item, but it'll be one I'll reach for time & time again!

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No