Monistat - Chafing Relief Powder-Gel

3.9

Active Ingredients: Dimethicone (1.2%) Inactive Ingredients: Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone/ Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Silica, Tocopheryl Acetate, Trisiloxane. ---------------------------------------------------- COMPARISON: SmashBox Photo Finish Primer ingredients: Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Dimethicone, Trisiloxane, Silica, Dimethicone/ Vinyldimethicone Crosspolymer, Ethylhexyl Salicylate, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Seed Extract, Propylene Glycol, Water (Aqua, Eau), Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract, Cola Acuminata Seed Extract, Camellia Oleifera Leaf Extract.

on 6/12/2008 7:20:00 PM

This works as well as Philosophy's "The Supernatural Poreless, flawless, tinted spf15" in a tube, but I only paid about $6.99 at drugstore.com instead of $30 at sephora for the philosophy product. It's $7.99 at Rite-Aid (Los Angeles), but they never had it in stock. For that much less, i just put on my own moisturizer with spf.

on 6/7/2008 3:22:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Finally got around to trying this as a makeup primer and I wish I hadn't kept forgetting to buy it! Wow. It makes my Prestige Wet/Dry powder foundation stay on nicely for 8-10 hours, when before I was lucky to get 2-3 hours out of the powder foundation! It also totally keeps the oil away... I have VERY oily skin where after a few hours either the powder foundation turned orange, or it just disappeared and my very red cheeks and oily skin beam through. This chafing gel stuff has completely changed that!

on 6/7/2008 10:48:00 AM

I truly can't believe this product! It puts the other primers out there to shame. I always felt guilty paying so much money for such a tiny tube of smashbox primer. Never again, this product from monistat is amazing, in fact I prefer it to smashbox. I paid under $4 for it, now that's a deal. My makeup stays on all day and my skin looks flawless. Kudos to ever thought of using this as a primer, what an amazing beauty secret.

on 6/5/2008 2:01:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

i had the same experience as the reviewer below. it helped my foundation go on smoother and last longer, but i broke out like crazy :( its clear, unscented, great price, and great packaging. if youre not acne prone, go for it!

on 6/4/2008 11:40:00 AM

I really hate to give this product a negative rating but I have to be honest... After I got over the thought of putting a Monistat product on my face, I tried it after reading the reviews several times. I used this after moisturizing and used it under my BE foundation. I will say that my face looked smooth and silky and my makeup did last all day (more so than usual). Unfortunately, this stuff broke me out like nobody's business!!! Ugh. I was so disappointed. So, I guess maybe my review is not that negative overall - if you can use this, then you should get smooth and silky looking skin which lasts all day. It seemed to work well under my mineral makeup and I assume it would work just as well under liquid foundation. I just couldn't use it because of the reaction my skin had but I will use this product as it was intended...just not as a primer for my makeup.

on 6/2/2008 8:07:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Coarse

I have an extremely oily t-zone. I have come to the conclusion that there is no absolutely perfect product out there that will banish the oiliness. But there are products out there that will help minimize it. I have tried milk of magnesia, mary kay face primer, smashbox face primer, and some other stuff I can't even remember the name of. I must say, this Monistat chaffing gel works the best. Oiliness is kept at bay much longer compared to using Smashbox. And of course the price is phenomenal. I usually have to blot by 12 noon everyday and the oil absorbing sheet is literally clear by the time I'm done using it. With this stuff, no blotting until late afternoon! I intentionally put some on my chin and forehead and left my nose and cheek area uncovered. A noticed a big difference in the two areas.
It really makes your skin soft. As a woman in her mid-thirties, I have noticed that my skin needs more moisturizer or the oiliness gets worse. I want to avoid anything that is too heavy and this product doesn't give me that feeling. As others have said, a little goes a long way.
I would recommend this product to those who suffer from oily skin and remind them that nothing will control the oiliness completely. But this will help you keep a fresh face look throughout the day.

on 5/31/2008 1:01:00 PM

After reading all the great reviews I thought I would give it try. Unfortunately this product is not for me! Seems to make me create more oil which is odd because it definitely has a matte/powdery feel to it.

on 5/28/2008 6:25:00 PM

Yes, this works!

I've tried other primers, but I got the oilies early on. There seemed to be a greater amount of silicone... these toners were... liquidy.
This product blended right in.

With this... no problem.

I applied this under my morning make-up (Clinique superbalanced)
and altho its a warm day in Pennsylvania, not a change.

My 'face' stayed on, stayed matte, no oily soak thru.
No irritation, etc.

Yes, I'm a convert!

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I had a couple of tubes shipped to me in the UK after reading the rave reviews here. I'd been using the Smashbox Photo Finish primer and was quite happy so the idea of something just as good but at a much cheaper price was something I couldn't say no to. I wish I had.
The first few times I used it, it did a fantastic job and actually seemed to control oil far better than the Smashbox primer. I had a small flare-up of acne which is very unusual for me, I can count on one hand the number of products that have caused this type of reaction & still have fingers left. Thinking it was another product that I was using, I carried on with the Monistat and discontinued the other product. It soon became quite evident that the Monistat was in fact the culprit when I broke out on my chin, cheeks, nose & one area of my forehead. Not just a small outbreak either, huge painful cystic acne and as I said, this is a rare occurence for me. I'm still using retin-a to deal with the aftermath & am using so much concealer to cover the marks left behind that it's ridiculous.
I've since thrown both tubes out & am happily using GOSH's Velvet Touch primer, which is just as good as the Smashbox but for £13. I'd much rather pay a little more than have to spend weeks trying to get my skin back to its usual condition.

on 5/28/2008 1:08:00 AM

I love this! I have always had problems with my make-up lasting through the day, no matter what I tried, but this keeps it fresh! I also love that it makes my face feel soft!

Popular Primer/ Correctors