July 30, 2014 | 1976 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Monistat - Chafing Relief Powder-Gel

rated 1 of 5 on 4/6/2008 8:48:00 PM More reviews by i_LoVe_FoOd

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This did not make my face look any different than before. All it did was make my make up rub off SO quickly. It kind of broke me out and the next day after using I noticed my face would look dull for a day ot two. Will not repurchase. Kind of disappointing after all the rave reviews.A better alternative id bare minerals mineral veil. I've used it as a primer resulting in a nice smooth finish.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/2/2008 11:10:00 AM More reviews by Goldylox99

I bought this as a lemming after seeing the reviews on MUA. I have used the Smashbox primers, Laura Geller Spackle, Clarins Instant Smooth Perfecting Touch, Becca Mineral Primer, Laura Mercier Primer, and several others. I tried it several times over the course of a few weeks, and like others have said, it is very similar to Smashbox. It has that silicone slip feeling, and quickly disappears into the skin. However, it can't compete with some of the other primers that seem to add that little extra oomph.

I was going out of town for a combined business/pleasure trip and then a cruise, so I chose to take the Monistat with me as my sole primer, because I thought it would travel well, I wouldn't get upset over losing it, and I needed to minimize the amount of stuff I was taking. Pros: Did an okay job as primer under tinted moisturizer and foundation. Was of great use as an anti-chafing agent when I started to develop blisters on my feet from extensive walking (and actually prevented the blisters from forming!). Packed easily and traveled well. Inexpensive. Cons: Didn't give me that wonderful "your skin is so soft" feeling that I have come to expect with other primers. Even after using an aspirin/honey mask and then applying this, my skin was not so wonderful to touch as when I use other primers. My fave primer combination at the moment is to use Patricia Wexler MMPI Skin Regenerating Serum, and then the Clarins Instant Smooth Perfecting Touch over it. They are both paste-like in their consistency and require a bit of effort to pat (not rub) on, but the look and feel I get is more than worth the effort.

All in all, I said I would repurchase, primarily because of the dual purpose nature of the Monistat - the anti-chafing aspect came in handy, and now that I know it works, I'd rather use an inexpensive product such as this on irritated areas of my body than an expensive primer. And, the fact that it can serve double duty is a bonus!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/29/2008 3:31:00 AM More reviews by tsunamino

As long as you don't mind looking for it in the vag cream aisle, this is a great primer for its price!!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/28/2008 11:46:00 AM More reviews by ws33

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Exactly same results as Smashbox photofinish and a LOT cheaper. I'll never buy smashbox primer again.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/27/2008 9:55:00 AM More reviews by bronzebabe19

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Thank God for MUA! When someone rec'ed this product to me for a primer, they saved me a good $35. I used to use Smashbox photo finish, and it was alright I guess...I tried a few other primers other than Smashbox and was diappointed with all. I heard about Monistat Anti-Chafing gel for a primer. It was only $7 so I picked it up. What was to lose? Wow. I was surprised to find that the chafing gel was so much silkier than the Smashbox...I also heard that is was basically the same ingrediants. This primer makes my makeup last as long as it did with the Photofinish, so being the poor college student that I am, I'm going to save me some money and buy this from now on. Thanks MUA~

rated 4 of 5 on 3/26/2008 11:24:00 AM More reviews by mdorese21

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Dark, Neutral Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Brown

I was expecting to be blown away by this product based on all of the rave reviews found here. In a nutshell, this is for me a inexpensive alternative to getting Velvet skincoat from DHC. Which I love but because I'm so darn oily I still have to use inconjuction with milk of magnesia to keep my face from looking like an oil slick. I will definitely be purchasing a few more tubes because when I got one from wal-mart a few days ago they were kinda low. I did try it alone first and it keep me shine free for about 2-3 hours, same as DHC. Used with M.O.M., I'm good all day. :)

rated 5 of 5 on 3/22/2008 2:07:00 AM More reviews by sachitahara

This product alone is the reason I love MUA. I would never, in a million years, have even fathomed buying chafing relief powder to use on my FACE. I have used all sorts of primers, from the cheap, the expensive, and the useless. After realizing my Napoleon Perdis primer was on its last leg, I got to searching MUA for a new (and potentially disappointing) primer. I had narrowed my options down to Laura Mercier's Primer and the Monistat. I thought, "I don't really want to spend another $40 on primer that probably won't work..why not try this crap for $7?" Went to Target, and while I'll admit that it was kind of awkward buying the chafing relief powder (I purposely kept mentioning how I was going to use it on my face for cosmetic purposes to dispell any judgement), the embarrassment was totally worth it. My foundation and my blush STAY PUT all day, even through working in a salon, riding the bus, walking outside, whatever. I can't really tell any abnormal changes in my skin, and it's already been two weeks of wearing a full face of makeup everyday.

EDIT: I've noticed my skin is severely drying out (I mean patchy, flakes all around my cheeks, where I apply the product), so I'm going to take this out of my beauty regimen for the next few weeks and see what happens. Will update later.

EDIT II: As I worst expected, I had an allergic reaction to the gel. Even though I love my foundation, I was hoping it was that, and not the gel :( I'm not taking any lippies off because I believe in this product, and it DID work, just not for me. But clearly, I can't buy it again.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/22/2008 12:34:00 AM More reviews by GirlFromMichigan

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have tried other primers with no success on my sensitive skin. This product was no different. Although I can certainly see why others would love the texture and effect, this broke my skin out in pimples and cysts. I would suggest giving this product a try as a substitute for other primers but be aware that use may cause a breakout.

Update**07/26/08** OK, I still can not use this gel on my sensitive face but I can use it elsewhere as product was originally designed. I wanted to give the product it's due.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/21/2008 12:35:00 AM More reviews by Panda_Attack

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have read such rave reviews on this product I bought it last weekend. I have to say it doesn't live up to the hype I've read, however I feel it must be dependent on skin type. I have very dry skin with flaking, so the primer doesn't really improve the dry patches as makeup will still settle into them. However it does a great job on other areas as well as my nose which I could never ever wear foundation on before. I wouldn't say it has had amazing staying power for me, however it has made the makeup application process faster and smoother.

I look forward to trying this product once winter is over and my skin is better... I could see this working better for people with skin that is not flaky or who live in a steady climate [aka not -15 Canada].

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/17/2008 7:30:00 PM More reviews by Kamee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Wow! My initial reaction to this is that it's better than my BE's Prime Time. Prime Time i felt was ok, but within 2-3 hrs, my face is oily, but with monistat, my face is relatively oil free. Well, my face doesn't look very shiny but more glowy b/c of my oils combined with this. I'm hoping that this won't cause me to break out. If it doesn't, I'm planning on dropping a few drops of Vit E and maybe Tea tree oil to "high end" this product up a bit.

------

EDIT: i'm sad to say that this made my face break out. I'm pretty sure it's this because I tested this out during my 10 hr road trip to vegas and once i reached the hotel, my face broke out! This was the only new product on my face at the time. I'm so disappointed. I was hoping I could find a cheap product similar to prime time.... guess not.