July 25, 2014 | 957 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Paint Pot in Painterly

rated 3 of 5 on 4/5/2009 1:15:00 AM More reviews by Jenls27

I'm not in love with this even after all of the recommendations. It does what it's supposed to in making a great nude base, prevent creasing, and making eye shadows pop. BUT I think it makes my eyes look older due to the way it kind of makes my shadows look cakey. I'm thinking of taking this back to Nordstrom.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/2/2009 6:15:00 PM More reviews by LuvsMakeup82

Very nice eyeshadow...nice matte shade, stays on for the most part, brings out anything you put over it, looks great with dark liner, can't complain! The only thing is, some use it as a base or a primer, and it definitely is no UDPP. It will crease. So use a real e/s primer and don't rely on this to keep other shades on!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/2/2009 5:54:00 PM More reviews by hellokittywhore

i LOVE this paint pot. I actually exchanged the Bare Study for this one because the other one was too pearly for me. Although Bare Study had shimmers and was pretty to look at it, it didn't work as well as these. The only reason why I give Painterly a 4 is because I find it a little harder to blend different eye shadow colors. Other than that, the eyeshadows adhere perfectly to my eyelids and the colors POP. I'm asian with fair/yellow-tinted skin...so this color goes perfectly with my coloring (it may differ for many people out there). Overall, I would definitely re-purchase this if I ever run out. The quality and packaging are both an A++. This is about $18 but it will last you FOREVER! If you LOVE eyeshadow, and don't want them to fade in time, get this now! It's the best base/primer I've ever used.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/29/2009 2:32:00 PM More reviews by cocodivatime

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I had to play with this a little while before I actually liked it. Once I got the hang of it I find that its actually one of my favorite paint pots. I gave it a 4 instead of a 5 because it tends to be a little dry. It's not a creamy as some of my others...but its still a really good base and nice neutral. Would buy again

EDIT--I've learned that I like this a lot better if applied with a thin layer. The thinker its applied, the whiter it is. I like a sheer layer with not an obvious white eyelid.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/29/2009 1:58:00 PM More reviews by ztirkazoid

My first e/s base. It's great as an all-over colour to cover up discolorations on the eyelids. I also use this as an undereye concealer when I'm in a pinch. Eyeshadow sticks well to it, intensifies the colours and makes them last. However I still experience some slight creasing. I believe there are some better e/s bases out there. MAC gives you quite a bit when you buy a paint pot so this will last me a long time -- I use this daily.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/26/2009 12:54:00 PM More reviews by ItsJess

I love MAC paintpots for eyeshadow bases they have never creased on me and they help to bring out the colors in my eyeshadow. I have Painterly Paintpot and Soft Ocre Paintpot. Painterly is just a bit too pinky toned for me and Soft Ocre is a little too yellowy toned for me haha so I alternate between the two, the only downside to Painterly that I have found is that if you apply too much it can get a bit greasy and make all your eyeshadow colors blend together into one color. I don't have this problem when I just use a light layer to cover my lid and brow bone so this is a great base as long as you use it lightly. =]

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/23/2009 5:33:00 PM More reviews by beebop808

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I have a love/hate relationship towards this product. The MAC M.A. recommended this to me as a base to help STOP creasing. However, this product works just fine for me, nothing spectacular. It tends to dry really quick making the distribution of the product harder to blend (over the eyelids). Also, it does tend to crease, depending on the eyeliner/eyeshawdow I'm wearing. Needless to say, it does a great job at picking up your eyeshawdows making the color pop more! I don't think I'll be repurchasing.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/18/2009 3:06:00 PM More reviews by modestyblaise78

This is a great base! I use UDPP, Clinique Touch Tint & MAC Paint as well. I've been trying out several other bases (Artdeco, Alverde) and used many cream eye shadows and liners as bases - but this one is really different.
As one of the reviewer said, if you want a nude or neutral eye - this is it.
I am NW 20, and this is as close to my skin tone as possible.
I use a synthetic brush for applying it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/18/2009 1:08:00 PM More reviews by venused

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Green

This is one of my favourite bases. If I'm going to do a neutral or nude coloured eye, I actually prefer painterly to UDPP. The texture of paintpots is great, they're smooth a creamy. This colour is actually quite opaque, which I like.

It's close to my skin tone so it's great for just throwing on alone, on days where I'm getting ready in a mad rush and don't have time for much else. It evens out my skin and makes me a look a little more awake than I usually am.

I doubt this would be a great colour for those with darker skintones or really warm undertones, since it's pinky toned, but for me, being cool toned and fair, it's a great multi-functional colour.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/18/2009 9:06:00 AM More reviews by gina2328

This is a great product, but the texture is a bit dry. When I apply it to my lids it basically erases all the veins and splotches and evens everything out. It makes for a nice base, better thanTFSI. It takes awhile to apply, needs several layers. I definitely need to apply a light layer of eye cream before Painterly. I am NW20 and this color suits me, more cool toned pinkish.

I found the best brush for applying is my Bare Escentuals concealer brush because it is wider and does a good job. After I use this PP, my eyeshadows that I apply over it look more beautiful than if I had just used TFSI or nothing at all so this is a lovely product.