September 20, 2014 | 1959 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Paint Pot in Painterly

rated 5 of 5 on 4/23/2009 7:22:00 PM More reviews by bellavita

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I use Painterly Paint Pot as a primer for my eyshadow. It was recommended to me by the MAC rep and I absolutely LOVE it. I apply this with my ring finger and pat it on my eyelids and then apply my eyeshadows as normal. This does keep the color on all day and doesn't alter my eyeshadow colors in any way. By using Painterly Paint Pot I don't even need to touch up if I'm heading out after work. Works great for all day wear and also during the hot Texas summers.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/21/2009 7:53:00 PM More reviews by Flo422

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

The color itself is a great base if you're doing a neutral or even a smokey eye (I usually do brown). Even thought it's a little dark of a shade for my skintone (I'm an NW 20), it looks okay under any eyeshadow. As a primer, it does a good job. I prefer my TFSI to prevent creasing - it blends a lot better, looks less obvious and stays on longer. I apply painterly paint pot when I'm late in the morning. I prefer dipping my *clean* finger in the pot than using a brush because it's a lot easier to blend and apply evenly. If you prefer using a brush, MAC's 217 is the way to go. When I have very dark circles, I usually apply a thin coat of painterly paint pot over my concealer (yes, it looks all right!). My concealer lasts the whole day that way and the coverage is excellent. Watch Enkore's video if you wonder how to use painterly paint pot to cover up dark circles.

*** EDIT: I use this a lot more often than I used to, even more often than my TFSI. It applies super fast, dries really quickly and doesn't need to me blended a whole lot. I still use my *clean* finger. This pot will last me forever, though I use it all the time. Plus, it doesn't seem to dry out :)

rated 5 of 5 on 4/18/2009 8:26:00 PM More reviews by elphaba98

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've had this product for a while now and I have to say...I'm loving it!!!! It's a staple in my morning routine. My makeup goes on about 6 am and when I go to take it off before bed (around 11) it's still there! I do use a brush to apply it...I'm not a fan of using my finger to apply makeup...and it works great! I haven't tried UDPP or TFSI so I'm not able to say if it's better than either of those products. I didn't find it outrageously expensive...in Canada it sells for $20 and I would certainly buy again!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/17/2009 10:10:00 PM More reviews by Rholynn

Somehow I can't make myself wear mac paint pots as a primer or base without having two face's eyeshadow insurance underneath it..for me, i feel more comfortable that the paint pot isn't or my shadows won't be slipping and sliding.

That being said, I love wearing painterly under my nudies and neutrals... I don't think it makes much of a difference in color nor does it make the color pop but for some reason I just really like wearing it....

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/11/2009 3:37:00 PM More reviews by marvin1

I like the idea of a product that is supposed to act as both a primer and a base colour. However, because the texture was so thick, it was very difficult to spread onto my eyelids without tugging on them, and it was difficult to get a thin layer. Therefore, my lids looked cakey. It did even out my eyelid colour, but it is a little too red for that (I'm a NC 25 for reference). It felt heavy on my lids and made them droop by the end of the day. If I need a base colour and primer, I find that TFSI + a dab of my conceler or liquid foundation does the job a lot better. Will not be purchasing again.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/9/2009 2:36:00 PM More reviews by ElvisDiva

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I've just started using this about 3 days ago so I will update my review once I've used it a bit longer. So far, I do like it as an eyeshadow base although I don't think it keeps my lids completely crease-free. I think it provides a smooth base for eyeshadows and evens out my lids but I do notice a thin crease on my lids towards the middle of the day. I kinda smooth that area out a bit w/ my finger and apply a thin coat of eyeshadow. Again, I will update after I have used this for a longer period of time.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/9/2009 12:09:00 PM More reviews by AngeCS29

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I needed something to neutralize my eyelids and prep for shadow and this is perfect. It may seem expensive, but you get TONS of product. I used Clinique Canvas for a while. Painterly is $17 and Canvas is $14, but with Canvas you get like, 1/5th the product. Seriously. So good.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/8/2009 11:32:00 AM More reviews by flchick75

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I'm not sure I really get what all the hype is on this product. I can't say anything for other paint pots as I have not tried them. I've tried the beige-ing shade sticks and the bare canvas paint. By far I like the bare canvas. I do like the shade stick but it doesn'tseem to have the coverage that I want. Painterly DOES give me a good canvas to work with and it covers well but the thing is...it doesn't prevent creasing for me! This is 80% of the reason why I bought the product. By 2pm my eyeshadow that I worked so hard on is a mess in the center of my eye lid and no other "eyeshadow primer" has ever done this to me before. Not even the L'oreal primer I was using years ago creased. Also, I find that my eyeliner rubs off on my eye when I used the painterly. So not worth it IMO.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/5/2009 1:15:00 AM More reviews by Jenls27

I'm not in love with this even after all of the recommendations. It does what it's supposed to in making a great nude base, prevent creasing, and making eye shadows pop. BUT I think it makes my eyes look older due to the way it kind of makes my shadows look cakey. I'm thinking of taking this back to Nordstrom.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/2/2009 6:15:00 PM More reviews by LuvsMakeup82

Very nice eyeshadow...nice matte shade, stays on for the most part, brings out anything you put over it, looks great with dark liner, can't complain! The only thing is, some use it as a base or a primer, and it definitely is no UDPP. It will crease. So use a real e/s primer and don't rely on this to keep other shades on!