December 19, 2014 | 866 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 5 of 5 on 4/10/2008 7:41:00 PM More reviews by KittyMeowMeow

Coconut oil is one of the best kept beauty secrets out there. I just stumbled on it when researching what to do for my dry hair on the internet because nothing else was working. A reputable scientific article (from the National Institutes of Health, I believe) stated that coconut oil is the only oil that is actually absorbed into your hair and will make it stronger. Imagine that! So I tried and I haven't been disappointed. Nothing, nothing works as well. And I've tried everything. I use it like an anti-frizz serum: melt small amounts in my hand and distribute all over towel dried hair. It will take some trial and error to find just the right amount for your hair. It's better to put too little then mist your hair down with water and add more if you need it. You will not be disappointed. And best of all, it's dirt cheap!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/7/2008 9:10:00 PM More reviews by sunshine880

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Coconut oil is my HG product. I adore this stuff and couldn't live without it. I have used it for several years now.

My hair is very long (almost to my waist). I use coconut oil on my hair almost every day. Sometimes I will put in my hair before I go to sleep and wash it out in the morning. Other times I will put it on for 15 minutes, blow dry my hair (so it becomes sort of a "hot oil" treatment) and then shampoo it out. It makes my hair so healthy and shiny, and is better than any hair conditioner on the market. People are always asking me how I keep my long hair so healthy (including my hairdresser!).

I also use this as a moisturizer, mainly on my face, neck and chest. It keeps my skin so hydrated and makes my skin glow. When I first started using coconut oil, I was freaked out at the thought of putting oil on my face, worried it would make me break out, but it never has. In fact, I have fewer breakouts since I began using coconut oil and stopped using chemical-laden moisturizers. I also believe it is keeping away wrinkles.

I typically use the Nutiva brand of virgin coconut oil, which is easily found in health food stores and even some grocery stores.

Although the coconut oil is solid below 75 degrees, I just scoop it out of the jar and it melts easily in my hands (I don't go through the extra step of heating up the jar so it liquifies since it melts so quickly with body heat).

I also cook with it. It's great in scrambled eggs (it is safe to use up to approximately 350 degrees). Although coconut oil is a saturated fat, it is healthy for you, loaded with lauric acid. It is cholesterol-free. A great book to read on the benefits of coconut oil is "The Coconut Oil Miracle" by Bruce Fife.

IMPORTANT - the best type of coconut oil is virgin, unprocessed coconut oil, which is not refined, deodorized or bleached. It will be a pure white color and smell of fresh coconuts. If you dislike the smell or taste of virgin coconut oil, the next best thing is expeller pressed coconut oil. It is refined so that there is no coconut taste or smell. However, make sure the refined coconut oil you buy is expeller-pressed and processed without chemicals (hexane) or solvents. I buy refined coconut oil for cooking from Wilderness Family Naturals or Tropical Traditions (they both have very informative websites). I would prefer to use virgin coconut oil for everything, but hubby hates the flavor of coconut in his food, so I have to buy the refined kind when I cook meals for the both of us. Refined coconut oil can be used at higher temperatures than the virgin kind.

15 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/7/2008 8:07:00 AM More reviews by labellavita123

God this stuff is amazing for the hair. It just soaks right in and energizes it, which is important for me, seeing as I live in an urban setting. All you have to do is put the jar in a bath of hot water for a bit, rub a small amount into your hands, apply to hair and leave be for an hour. Voila! Shiny, healthy hair is yours. LOVE IT!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/6/2008 12:43:00 AM More reviews by NightAng3l

OMG, Coconut oil HG stuff! White solid oil that melts on touch, i got a huge 500g tub for 13AUD and i can tell this will last ages. The packaging cant be better as this oil solidifies in low temp so if it was in lets say a tube it would be very messy coz in warm weather it would come out pouring lol. ok on with the product review. Ive used this for 3 consecutive times applying it at night before i go to bed and washing it off the morning after (i wash my hair every second day) and each time my hair has become softer and softer and softer! you dont even need conditioner i swear! Im so amazed! my hay like hair tips are so so so much softer only after three times,its unbelievable! And yes there was a major difference in my hair even after the FIRST use. I wouldnt be surprised if with further use my dry ends completely disappear! im so glad i found this! It also adds mega shine in a healthy way:) I also i use this as a face moisturizer (with or without my daily moisturizer) in the mornings as its quite light and i havent had ANY problems with it (and yes i am pimple prone) only use one dab:) HG material. Once you try it you will never look back on any leave in conditioners, EVER. :D Please, I urge you, go try it now!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/30/2008 4:16:00 PM More reviews by fundercat55

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Fantastic stuff! I've been using it for years as a pre-shampoo conditioner (although I only have the time to do that a couple times a month) and my hairs loves it. I have very straight black hair and doing a coconut oil treatment always leaves it glassy and smooth. My other main use for it is as an in shower body scrub. I mix plain sea salt and coconut oil and nothing else and it is the most fabulous scrub I've ever used. Exfoliating and moisturizing, leaves my skin baby soft, and is so much cheaper and more effective than anything I've ever bought. As much as I love it for my hair and body, I would never put this on my face, though. I have very oily, very acne prone skin and to use coconut oil on my face would just be courting disater for me. I'll stick to jojoba oil for my makeup removal needs.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/27/2008 10:05:00 AM More reviews by bronzebabe19

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

What can I say about this HG product of mine? Well for starters...I use it to remove my makeup sometimes, and it removes everything: mascara, eyeliner, waterproof mascara, lipstick, foundation with ease. I also use it as a deep conditioner for my hair. In the container it's solid white. To melt it, I make sure the lid is screwed on tight, and I let it sit in hot water in the sink for a few minutes. This melts it so it's also slighty warm and liquidy :) I slather it on my hair (not the scalp, mostly the ends) and twist my hair up in a messy bun and let it sit for a half an hour to an hour. I then take a shower and shampoo and condition it as usual, but after it dries, I can see the coconut oil did it's magic. My hair is insanely shiny and soft. Many people have complimented me on my hair the day after I use this stuff. I tell everyone to use coconut oil. It's pretty cheap (from 6-13 bucks depending on where you get it) and the big chunk last forever. My HG!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/13/2008 10:51:00 PM More reviews by crazyfrog13

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've been using this as a pre-shampoo treatment on my hair for awhile now (I work it into my hair when it's dry and then I put a shower cap over it and let it sit for a couple of hours-then I shampoo and condition as I would normally) and so far it seems that the overall condition of my hair has improved. It's softer and shinier with a little less frizz. (For reference, I have naturally curly/wavy hair that is on the coarse side.) It's not a miracle worker, but I have a feeling the effects will get better the longer I use it, as it probably takes a while to replenish the hair's moisture levels and repair all the damage. I got a 250mL jar at the grocery store for $2.50, and I will keep buying it since it seems to work and it's so cheap. I did notice that I got a few pimples on the back of my neck where some of the shorter hairs may have slipped out of the shower cap, so I don't think I'll be using this as a moisturizer; it's supposed to be very comedogenic, so I don't want it anywhere near my face, or anywhere else that's acne-prone.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/11/2008 2:57:00 AM More reviews by redstarrr

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I was excited to use this on my hair after reading all of the reviews - I ran to my local health food store to buy it, and when I got home I melted it and put it in my dry hair, worked it in, slept on it all night, and then washed it out the next morning. My hair felt DRIER than ever, and it looked like STRAW!!! I have also been using this at night on my hands and they feel drier too! I am not reaping the same moisturizing benefits as everyone else here - it must be a chemistry thing.
I don't know what I'm going to do with it now.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/10/2008 3:58:00 PM More reviews by Teacakeanyone

I don't quite get it. I've tried this on my face, lips, hands, and body after a shower. I personally think it's really fun to have it melt in your hands as you spread it on. I bet it's great for massages! I will grant that it soaks in fast, but...it doesn't seem to do anything for me. Not moisturizing at all. I got Spectrum brand naturally refined, since that's all I could find (got it at Kroger). On my hands it leaves them feeling drier than they were before! I've used it for about 3 days now on my face and I can't tell if it's doing anything or not. I'm leaning towards not, though. I find it really weird, though, that everybody else has such great moisturizing luck with this and it makes me feel drier. ::shrugs:: Guess it's a no-go for me, but glad it works for others!

5 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/3/2008 11:17:00 PM More reviews by moondogfluffy

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I've always preferred oils after a shower than moisturizers (so sticky and gross!) because they are smooth and silky. I've used several kinds, but recently was turned on to coconut oil by the reviews here, and wow. This stuff is great! It feels so slippery and cool on wet skin, and it makes my skin really, really soft, much more so than other oils I've tried. I glide a blob over wet skin in the shower, and then I buff off the excess with a towel. I love the fact that its unscented, although a coconut scent would be nice too. I also use it on my hair sometimes, pre-shampoo. I wish it didn't solidify, because the packaging and jar is gross, but I guess that has something to do with its great protective qualities. It doesn't irritate my excema or give me body acne either. Great stuff!