July 22, 2014 | 2263 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 1 of 5 on 1/19/2008 6:35:00 PM More reviews by VeryVain1985

Recently I have used the Virgin Coconut Oil and I thought it would be as good as Jojoba Oil and EVOO as a face moisturizer.

Wow, I was so wrong because this made me broke out so bad. It almost looked like I was back in the days when I was 13/14 and had lots of pimples. To date I have never tried a product which has caused me such a breakout. I am sure I had over 50 pimples from using coconut oil on my face for a week.

During the first two days when the first pimples appeared, I thought that my skin had to get used to the coconut oil, but when the pimples didn't dissapear and I was getting more and more I really had to stop using this. This can not be a adjustment proces if you break out like I did. So don't make the mistake I've made, think twice before using this as a face moisturizer.

Another thing I didn't like about the Coconut Oil is that I had to make it liquid by using the microwave and I also did not like the smell of coconut oil. I love coconuts and drink coconut milk but it's something different when using it on your body. The scent is too overpowering, almost nauseating.

I will never use anything of the virgin coconut oil for my body anymore, I will only eat and drink it, that's the safest way to indulge coconut for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/16/2008 7:36:00 PM More reviews by mousquerader

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I LOVE virgin coconut oil! I used to use it put it on my body head-to-toe (I don't anymore because I don't want to waste it). Seriously. Everywhere. Even my face! When my esthetician heard that I was doing this, she was stunned because supposedly coconut oil is very comedogenic. I don't believe it. I think coconut oil actually helps skin, but I don't really use it on my face anymore even though it never broke me out because I need more than coconut oil alone to clear up my acne. Anyway, other than applying it on the skin, I use it on my hair--I apply it to dry hair and sleep on it with a clean towel on my pillow, then I wash it out with a normal shampoo a couple times. The effect: hydrated hair that dries perfectly frizz-free. This is amazing. My hair's naturally thick, wavy, frizzy... just disastrous, really. But when I put on coconut oil, my hair looks completely transformed. No other cream or serums ever achieved this state of unfrizziness for me. Ever. Another reason why I love coconut oil is because it helps my scalp. My scalp used to be itchy, flaky, and dry, and medicated shampoos such as Head & Shoulders and Selsun Blue never worked. My scalp also smelled, so I thought it was a fungus problem and used a sulfur soap on my scalp, but that didn't really work out either. After I did the pre-shampoo treatment like I mentioned before, my scalp did not give off any offensive odors. In fact, it still smells fresh even days or almost a week after washing! I guess it totally eliminated the problem!! (Did you know coconut oil is antimicrobial and anti-fungal?!) I also used to break out on my scalp, and I'm pretty sure the coconut oil stopped that, too, as I don't seem to be getting any more annoying bumps on my scalp. It truly works!

12 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/16/2008 5:16:00 PM More reviews by LolaBlue

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I love coconut oil! I use it as an all over body moisturizer in the morning, on my face to buffer retin-a micro at night, and oh yeah it makes a fabulous hair conditioner! the really great thing about it is that it is SO light in texture. it sinks into the skin quickly and doesn't leave any greasy mess behind it. I even use a teeny bit in my hair in place of traditional pomade. oh, and it smells great too! this is one of the few products I actually prefer in a jar because it's easier to scoop it out then have to melt it in a bottle (it does solidify below 76 degrees). it's also extremely economical; I picked up a huge 1lb jar for less than $9.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/11/2008 4:53:00 PM More reviews by Labtail

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

Not for everyone, but a HG for the rest of us!!

Some people can be topically sensitive to the Lauric acid in coconut oil (not to be confused with lactic acid) but in general it's really very calming on your skin and even anti-microbial and anti-fungal which is one of the reasons it helps breakouts. I have some pimples, but my main issue is really clogged pores because my skin is really dry and doesn't make much oil on it's own. The coconut oil has helped reduce the clogged pores by like 80% or more. Fantastic! I now "wash" with a castor-almond-jojoba oil combo and use coconut as a moisturizer. It's my HG of hair conditioners (use a TEENY bit girls!) it helps with all kinds of skin problems and I even use it on my dogs (keeps scabs from being itchy, softens elbows).
There is no such thing as extra-virgin coconut oil - it's either "refined" or "virgin" (extra-virgin is a marketing ploy). Use the virgin. I like Nutiva best because I like the smell - I bought a bottle in Thailand that smelled really strong and I got to love that too! I just get the ultra-big gallon of it and split it up between the bathroom and the kitchen. it's about $25 and has lasted me almost a year.

I perfer to keep it in a tub - my squirt bottle solidifies regularly and it's too hard to get it out. Different brands may have slightly different melting points.

BTW - Although it is a saturated fat, it has a neutral effect on cholesterol and is a medium-chain fatty acid which can improve your metabolism and help with weight loss.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/9/2008 5:26:00 AM More reviews by cadburyegg

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Wow, wow, WOW!!! This works like gangbusters! After reading all the great reviews for coconut oil I had to try it. And I'm glad I did! My hair is super soft and and shiny now. I got a 14 oz jar at wild oats for 7.99. I got the refined coconut oil, so it's a solid. I spooned a small amout into a bowl and let it melt on top of my coffee mug. I then combed it into my dry hair from midway down to the ends. It didn't take much to soak in. I did two braids and slept with it in. The next morning I washed it out, twice. I didn't notice any big change while it was wet but once it dried it was definately smoother. Even now three days later petting my hair, if feels softer.
I highly recommend this product! I also used a small amount to remove my eye make-up last night...worked like a charm!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/7/2008 2:43:00 AM More reviews by cara4art

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Like lots of folks below, I love extra-virgin coconut oil! Great for wavy and curly hair, and for a body moisturizer. I won't use anything else on my body now, and yes, there is a difference between the regular coconut oil that you can get for $6-$7for a jar, and the extra-virgin stuff that's usually more expensive($13 for 16oz. of the Nutiva which is an excellent brand). The large co-op that I go to in San Francisco now has this in their wet bulk items department, thereby saving me money. I use it straight on my body while skin is still damp, otherwise it doesn't work as well, it being an oil, after all. I used to use all kinds of scrubs, loofahs, etc. and my skin would feel smooth for exactly one day, but since I have used the EVCO, my skin has been much smoother. I also make another cream using this along with unrefined shea butter and it is awesome!
Lots of Pacific Islanders and people in India can't be wrong about this being a superb beauty aid!
Last but not least, since the body has such a large surface area of skin, using something simple and non-toxic is hugely beneficial in so many ways. No more commercial body lotions for me! And of course using it my hair has been great too!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/6/2008 9:35:00 PM More reviews by Maderine

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is my HG, period. I use it on my skin, mixed with Cetaphil cream (please ask if you want my "recipe") for daily moisturizing and straight up when I'm chapped. I also use it in my hair, both as a styling agent (to bring out my natural curl) and a de-frizzer if I want to dry straight. When in need, I'll also use it as a hair/scalp mask--generously applied at night, it makes my hair soft as a baby's after washing the next day. I use Spectrum brand expeller-pressed refined coconut oil, which I got at my local grocery in the health-food section. The "refined" means that coconut solids have been taken out, and it has NO.SMELL.AT.ALL. I love this about it. There are lots of arguments about getting refined vs unrefined, cold-pressed vs expeller-pressed, organic vs not. This is the only version I've ever tried and the only one I will ever need. It adds the umph I need to my moisturizer and has given me softer, smoother skin over time. My hair, formerly somewhat dull and frizzy, is now--dare I say it?--glossy and frizz-free. I actually get compliments on it! (Alert the press!) This stuff doesn't coat my skin like grease coats a skillet, nor does it weigh down my extra-fine hair. It is truly a beautiful, beautiful thing.

10 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/3/2008 3:23:00 PM More reviews by kkt1210

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is such a luxurious treat! i've used it on my hair, as an overnight treatment, then washed out in the morning, and it has produced shiny, soft, manageable hair! as a body moisturizer it is so very delicious. i keep my unrefined, expeller pressed, Jarrow brand in the fridge to maximize freshness. it is a very firm solid when kept in the fridge, so all i do is get a knife and break up several solid pieces, but them in a bowl and microwave for about 45 sec. doing this turns the coconut oil into a liquid, and i just dip my hands in and smooth all over my body....it feels so wonderful b/c it's been warmed. i feel very pampered and freshened. i am pretty dry though so i need to use something afterwards since this isn't the ultimate dry skin moisturizer. but my body feels very soft and lightly scented with a slight, natural coconuty smell. BTW, there is a difference between "refined", and "UNrefined" , or "virgin" coconut oils. The following paragraphs are from research i found on the web.

Most commercial grade coconut oils are made from copra. Copra is basically the dried kernel (meat) of the coconut. It can be made by: smoke drying, sun drying, or kiln drying , or derivatives or a combination of these three. If standard copra is used as a starting material, the unrefined coconut oil extracted from copra is not suitable for consumption and must be purified, that is refined. This is because the way most copra is dried is not sanitary. The standard end product made from copra is RBD coconut oil. RBD stands for refined, bleached, and deodorized. High heat is used to deodorize the oil, and the oil is typically filtered through (bleaching) clays to remove impurities. Sodium hydroxide is generally used to remove free fatty acids and prolong shelf life. This is the most common way to mass-produce coconut oil. The older way of producing refined coconut oil was through physical/mechanical refining (see Tropical Traditions Expeller Pressed Coconut Oil.). More modern methods also use chemical solvents to extract all the oil from the copra for higher yields.

Now for the info on the Virgin:
There is no industry standard definition for "Virgin Coconut Oil" as there is in the olive oil industry for "Virgin" and "Extra Virgin" olive oil. Today, there are many coconut oils on the market that are labeled as "Virgin Coconut Oil."
Virgin Coconut Oil can only be achieved by using fresh coconut meat or what is called non-copra. Chemicals and high heating are not used in further refining, since the natural, pure coconut oil is very stable with a shelf life of several years. There are currently two main processes of manufacturing Virgin Coconut Oil:

1. Quick drying of fresh coconut meat which is then used to press out the oil. Using this method, the coconut meat is quick dried, and the oil is then pressed out via mechanical means.

2. Wet-milling. With this method the oil is extracted from fresh coconut meat without drying first. "Coconut milk" is expressed first by pressing. The oil is then further separated from the water. Methods which can be used to separate the oil from the water include boiling, fermentation, refrigeration, enzymes and mechanical centrifuge.

One of the main differences between Virgin Coconut oil and refined coconut oils is the scent and taste. All Virgin Coconut Oils retain the fresh scent and taste of coconuts, whereas the copra-based refined coconut oils have a bland taste due to the refining process. Some grades of refined copra-based oils are also now sold that have a coconut flavor, but are usually bitter and have a burnt taste to it. They are a form of "crude coconut oil" that has not undergone all of the deodorizing process, and they have a shorter shelf-life.

31 out of 31 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2007 1:32:00 AM More reviews by sunkisstbellY

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Coconut oil is something every woman (and man) in my family uses. It's an ancient tradition from India and almost every person there has this in their hair pretty much 24/7. Besides smelling awful, it really is amazing for your hair. I use it a few times a week as a deep conditioner. I heat up the bottle in the microwave for 30 seconds, then pour some into my hands and massage my scalp, then smooth the oil from roots to ends. I tie up my hair in a bun and leave it on over night (sleeping on a towel to prevent my pillows from getting dirty!). In the morning I was it out with a strong shampoo (you'll need to wash it a few times to get rid of all the oil). My hair is healthy, nourished, thick, soft and strong as a result. I don't know what I'm going to do when I get married because the smell is so bad...my future husband will NOT appreciate me sleeping next to him with this on!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/29/2007 11:40:00 PM More reviews by rossjen

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is some amazing stuff. I splurged on the unrefined coconut oil on a trip to the health food store and started using it as a face and body moisturizer. First of all, this feels so luxurious, smells divine, and absorbs really quickly. No need to wait around for it to dry for ten minutes. In terms of moisturization, it does not do a disappearing act either, and my skin feels soft all day. Even drier areas such as elbows and feet feel so much smoother.
What has sold me on coconut oil after using it a month now is this: I have a dark burn scar on my arm from a kitchen incident a year ago that was always very distinct. That scar has faded significantly since I began using coconut oil to moisturize with. That alone is reason enough for me to keep using it. I'll always have it on hand from now on.