September 23, 2014 | 1860 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 5 of 5 on 3/27/2008 10:05:00 AM More reviews by bronzebabe19

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

What can I say about this HG product of mine? Well for starters...I use it to remove my makeup sometimes, and it removes everything: mascara, eyeliner, waterproof mascara, lipstick, foundation with ease. I also use it as a deep conditioner for my hair. In the container it's solid white. To melt it, I make sure the lid is screwed on tight, and I let it sit in hot water in the sink for a few minutes. This melts it so it's also slighty warm and liquidy :) I slather it on my hair (not the scalp, mostly the ends) and twist my hair up in a messy bun and let it sit for a half an hour to an hour. I then take a shower and shampoo and condition it as usual, but after it dries, I can see the coconut oil did it's magic. My hair is insanely shiny and soft. Many people have complimented me on my hair the day after I use this stuff. I tell everyone to use coconut oil. It's pretty cheap (from 6-13 bucks depending on where you get it) and the big chunk last forever. My HG!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/13/2008 10:51:00 PM More reviews by crazyfrog13

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've been using this as a pre-shampoo treatment on my hair for awhile now (I work it into my hair when it's dry and then I put a shower cap over it and let it sit for a couple of hours-then I shampoo and condition as I would normally) and so far it seems that the overall condition of my hair has improved. It's softer and shinier with a little less frizz. (For reference, I have naturally curly/wavy hair that is on the coarse side.) It's not a miracle worker, but I have a feeling the effects will get better the longer I use it, as it probably takes a while to replenish the hair's moisture levels and repair all the damage. I got a 250mL jar at the grocery store for $2.50, and I will keep buying it since it seems to work and it's so cheap. I did notice that I got a few pimples on the back of my neck where some of the shorter hairs may have slipped out of the shower cap, so I don't think I'll be using this as a moisturizer; it's supposed to be very comedogenic, so I don't want it anywhere near my face, or anywhere else that's acne-prone.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/11/2008 2:57:00 AM More reviews by redstarrr

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I was excited to use this on my hair after reading all of the reviews - I ran to my local health food store to buy it, and when I got home I melted it and put it in my dry hair, worked it in, slept on it all night, and then washed it out the next morning. My hair felt DRIER than ever, and it looked like STRAW!!! I have also been using this at night on my hands and they feel drier too! I am not reaping the same moisturizing benefits as everyone else here - it must be a chemistry thing.
I don't know what I'm going to do with it now.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/10/2008 3:58:00 PM More reviews by Teacakeanyone

I don't quite get it. I've tried this on my face, lips, hands, and body after a shower. I personally think it's really fun to have it melt in your hands as you spread it on. I bet it's great for massages! I will grant that it soaks in fast, but...it doesn't seem to do anything for me. Not moisturizing at all. I got Spectrum brand naturally refined, since that's all I could find (got it at Kroger). On my hands it leaves them feeling drier than they were before! I've used it for about 3 days now on my face and I can't tell if it's doing anything or not. I'm leaning towards not, though. I find it really weird, though, that everybody else has such great moisturizing luck with this and it makes me feel drier. ::shrugs:: Guess it's a no-go for me, but glad it works for others!

5 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/3/2008 11:17:00 PM More reviews by moondogfluffy

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I've always preferred oils after a shower than moisturizers (so sticky and gross!) because they are smooth and silky. I've used several kinds, but recently was turned on to coconut oil by the reviews here, and wow. This stuff is great! It feels so slippery and cool on wet skin, and it makes my skin really, really soft, much more so than other oils I've tried. I glide a blob over wet skin in the shower, and then I buff off the excess with a towel. I love the fact that its unscented, although a coconut scent would be nice too. I also use it on my hair sometimes, pre-shampoo. I wish it didn't solidify, because the packaging and jar is gross, but I guess that has something to do with its great protective qualities. It doesn't irritate my excema or give me body acne either. Great stuff!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/2/2008 1:57:00 PM More reviews by jmarie

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Silver, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I bought Raw, Organic, Extra Virgin at Rite Aid in the GNC area....I've been using it to cleans my face at night and as a leave in after shampooing....the only problem is getting it out of the jar when it's solid....I love the way my skin and hair feel after using coconut oil.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/30/2008 6:52:00 PM More reviews by TheItsyBitsy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Coconut oil has been a beauty staple of mine for a long time. I typically use Monoi (vanille) because of the refinement and beautiful scent but straight coconut oil is just as good.

I've had long hair for most of my adult life (when I finally chopped it off it was down to my mid thigh) and this is the best leave-in you could ask for (and I've tried a LOT of leave in products). You have to be very sparing but it leaves hair incredibly soft and moisturized and didn't bog down my superfine hair. It's also great for dry skin and gentle enough I even use it on my pet hedgehogs to protect their delicate skin after a bath.

The main drawback is that it solidifies in cool weather, but it's not hard to find a spot that will keep it warm enough to keep it liquid.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/22/2008 10:42:00 PM More reviews by shyviolet

I can't believe I have not written a review for this yet. I see absolutely no need to be any sort of rich body cream or deep hair conditioner when this stuff exists.

This kicks the butt of every body butter I have tried.

As a conditioner, this is not the sort of thing that you put in after shampooing. You massage it onto dry hair and leave it on for awhile, then shampoo. My relaxed and highlighted hair feels like silk afterward. If I happen to get a frizzy or flyaway, a tiny bit of oil calms it.

Additionally, I have been using this as a lip balm at night and my lips have been very soft throughout the winter. Plus I feel great that I am ingesting those healthy fats, even if it is in tiny amounts. Every little bit helps!

My face is another story. If anyone is going to break out from something, it would be me, and yes, ladies and gentlemen - I had some milia forming by my 4th day of using the oil. Shame on me for not actually researching pore-clogging ability before testing this on my face. I kept reading positive reviews in regards to using it on the face, and I kept reading that it did not clog pores. Turns out that Coconut oil is indeed comedogenic, with a comedogenicity level of 4 out of a possible 5. Everyone's skin is different and my skin, though it reacts wonderfully to jojoba, does not like coconut.

So, for facial skin - no. But this works wonders for everything else.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/20/2008 4:04:00 PM More reviews by Crabtwix

Coconut oil rules. I have a jar - Spectrum unrefined - and have been using it for my face for a while now. I have had acne my whole life and have really struggled with solutions... lord knows how much money I've spent - THOUSANDS is an understatement. I started using it with a couple drops of castor oil - I use a little metal spatula to scrape some out of the jar, and drop that into my palm with the castor oil. I press my palms together and in moments, it's liquified. I rub that all over my face, really rubbing it in, until it feels like it's absorbing. Then I either steam with a hot washcloth (about every third day) or use a damp washcloth to gently wipe the residual away. It smells like an almond joy - which I am just fine with.

Recently, the weather has been super dry, and I've had to start using grapeseed oil to supplement. It's much lighter, and stays with my skin a little longer. I can see the coconut oil being PERFECT for summer months tho.

No cleansers. No moisturizers. No eye cream or acne gels or serums. I now realize the whole skin-care industry is a big scam. Get thee some oil.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 1/19/2008 6:35:00 PM More reviews by VeryVain1985

Recently I have used the Virgin Coconut Oil and I thought it would be as good as Jojoba Oil and EVOO as a face moisturizer.

Wow, I was so wrong because this made me broke out so bad. It almost looked like I was back in the days when I was 13/14 and had lots of pimples. To date I have never tried a product which has caused me such a breakout. I am sure I had over 50 pimples from using coconut oil on my face for a week.

During the first two days when the first pimples appeared, I thought that my skin had to get used to the coconut oil, but when the pimples didn't dissapear and I was getting more and more I really had to stop using this. This can not be a adjustment proces if you break out like I did. So don't make the mistake I've made, think twice before using this as a face moisturizer.

Another thing I didn't like about the Coconut Oil is that I had to make it liquid by using the microwave and I also did not like the smell of coconut oil. I love coconuts and drink coconut milk but it's something different when using it on your body. The scent is too overpowering, almost nauseating.

I will never use anything of the virgin coconut oil for my body anymore, I will only eat and drink it, that's the safest way to indulge coconut for me.