October 24, 2014 | 1449 users online

Fragrances - Chanel - No.5

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/11/2004 2:00:00 PM More reviews by edie4711

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

With all the stories and legends about it in mind, I tried Chanel No. 5 for the first time in the late '90's. I was a novice to the fragrance scene, having experienced only the requisite American drugstore girl-scents such as Tinkerbell, Love's Baby Soft, and BB Skin Musk, with a brief adolescent foray into the world of Cinnabar.
I was disappointed at the store. THIS was the legendary Chanel No. 5? It smelled strongly, and was not unpleasant, but somehow I couldn't picture Marilyn Monroe applying this underwhelming fragrance before bed. I moved quickly away from the fragrance counter, disillusioned and sad.
Hours later, I was lying on the couch reading a book; passing my hands close to my face as I turned the pages, I suddenly caught a whiff of something unbelievably wonderful. It smelled like warm skin, a bit powdery, very clean, a little sultry, and exquisitely sexy, but not at all trampy. I sniffed my wrists to confirm: that wonderful smell was me! This must be the Chanel No. 5! No wonder Marilyn loved it so!
So, long story short (I hear you screaming "too late!"), you might hate it OOB, you might even hate it half an hour after application, but do give it a few hours to develop on your skin, because when it works, it really REALLY works. SO beautiful. Recently I was nostalgic for it, bought it, and it's still as beautiful as ever. I am pleased to say that No. 5 has been welcomed back to my fragrance stable. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 10/10/2004 11:13:00 PM More reviews by divka84

My mother's favourite perfume was Chanel no5 and I hated it at first. I tried it on at the Chanel counter and blech! I felt like a 90 year old! At 18, that's not good :D But, as I went through the store and browsed around, even though I was dressed casually, I felt sophisticated and actually went back to buy a bottle. For me, it turns a tshirt and jeans into a little black dress. Very classy. Not something I would wear when I want to feel "sexy" but definitely a classy, feminine, mature smell. I got compliments all day, and still do whenever I wear it.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/8/2004 11:18:00 PM More reviews by babydoll83

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

My brother laughed when i told him if he likes chanel no.5. his like " it smells like a grandma" LOL.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/5/2004 8:56:00 AM More reviews by birg

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Some MUA reviewers don't like this fragrance, as it reminds them of their grandmothers. What is wrong with their grandmothers, I feel concerned? Well, I am a grandmother myself and I adore this warm, aldehydic, classic scent (however, not every day, it is a fragrance for special occasions). My love for Chanel #5 has very little to do with the fact that I am a grandmother - I liked it as a young girl and woman and always felt so happy and secure, when my mother wore it. This fragrance always makes me feel the woman (grandmother!) I am and hope to remain.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/5/2004 2:49:00 AM More reviews by HapaDynazty

I'm sorry but this stuff smells realllly bad.. I know it's a "classic" but it reminds me something my grandmother would wear!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/29/2004 7:35:00 PM More reviews by doggerel

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

When I was a teenager (30 years ago) I didn't want to be trendy, I wanted to be unusual. So I developed a taste for scotch while my friends were quaffing Boone's Farm and I started wearing Chanel No. 5 while they were wearing Love's Fresh Lemon. My mother never wore scent, so maybe this was also an act of youthful rebellion. :-) I still wear Chanel No. 5 (although I wear others more now) and it still smells wonderful to me. (I'm still drinking scotch, too; am I in a rut?) At first it's a sweet floral, but it dries down to a nice powdery finish on my skin, and it lasts all day. In my youth I felt terribly sophisticated when I wore it; now it feels comforting, like old cashmere. I'll wear it with jeans, but when I have to wear a little black dress I have to wear Chanel No. 5. It's perfect.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/19/2004 5:43:00 AM More reviews by laurus

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Smells like CLASSIC and not on the good way. Too strong and powdery. Gives me a headache but it is not an annoying fragrance. Just could not wear it myself.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/14/2004 9:46:00 PM More reviews by manda_c

This Chanel classic is not for me. It is quite a simple froral featurong Ylang Ylang, rose, jasmine, with a bit of a powdery finish. I think it is the Ylang Ylang which makes it smell like toilet freshener on me, (a bit like the L'occitane Ylang Ylang range does actually). Saying that I have noticed it as a wonderful scent on others and been surprised to hear it is No.5! On me it smells like cheap + stinky Coty L'aimant!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/14/2004 12:48:00 PM More reviews by princessg

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I absolutely cannot live without this fragrance.
It is simply beatiful and expresses my personality perfectly.
It is timeless, classic, chic and graceful - something you don't find in modern fragrances.
I am tired of generic bathroom-cleaning product type perfumes and I find looking to the older more established perfumes delivers results all the time.
I will never be without this fragrance.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/14/2004 1:12:00 AM More reviews by Soie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

A bare bones powdery floral. A nice uncomplicated fragrance to spritz on lighly after taking a hot bath on a chilly night. I suspect that if this same scent was a recent concoction by Avon, Revlon or Coty (rather than an old one by Chanel), it would have ten reviews and nine of them would be absolutely scathing....