MAC #187 Duo Fiber Face Brush (Stippling, Skunk Brush)

4.5

HAIRZ

on 1/22/2009 11:57:00 AM

I like this brush. It is very soft, but it really only works well with very thin foundations. If you have a thicker foundation, it actually seems to make it go on thicker, not helping you use less product.
It definitely helps to use a primer if you're using this brush to apply liquid foundation.

I do like the way my powder goes on with this brush.

What i like to use it for most, is to apply liquid or foam sunless tanner, especially to my face and neck/chest areas. It allows me to apply a thicker coat, without caking, which gives me more color with less applications. It also helps me apply it evenly, so there's no blotching or streaking.

Really though, I'm not getting this fabulous, miraculous, flawless air-brushed look with my foundation like everyone's talking about, and I am using it for stippling, the way it's intended to be used.. It really looks about the same as when I would apply with my fingers.

Decent brush, but not worth the $45 I paid for it.

on 1/22/2009 12:44:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I heard so much raving about this brush that it was enough for me to go out and get one too. The price is staggering, but the product is great! I really like it. However, if your on a budget...try to find a dupe, but if you've got money to spend then by all means...think of it as an investment caz the quality is definately worth it.
By the way...I have the regular sized black-handle one.

on 1/21/2009 3:35:00 PM

I have been wanting to try this forever and my HG Chanel Foundation brush finally needed to be replaced so I splurged on the 187. Though I do spend an obscene amount of money on make up, I really hate to spend a lot on brushes but I do make the occassional exception and this time I'm so glad I did. It was a bit hard for me to adjust to using the stippling brush vs. the traditional flat foundation brush I had been using, but now that I've got the hang of it, I doubt I will go back! This makes foundation application flawless & even, creating that "airbrushed" look. I use this mainly for my liquid foundation but have also used it to apply highlighter to my cheek bones and bronzer. Works a dream and you don't have to be a make up pro to get a great application with this brush! I do have two gripes. I seem to use more product (esp. foundation) when using a stippling brush vs. a flat one. Also, as Tigrou mentioned, the bristles shed more frequently than I would like (or expect, for the price!) My other MAC brush (#150) hardly ever sheds, and I was disappointed that the 187 does. However, the finished look is well worth it and I will repurchase!

on 1/21/2009 11:27:00 AM

Absolutely love this brush. The bristles are very soft and distribute liquid foundation beautifully. The results are a nice, airbrushed look. I will never go back to using sponges.

The price is a bit steep, but I think it's worth it. I clean my brush after every use. I use Quo (Shoppers Drug Mart, Canada) brush cleaner which costs $8, less than the MAC brush cleaner, and it does a beautiful job.

Highly recommend this investment to everyone.

on 1/20/2009 8:45:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

This brush is so super soft, it is unbelievable. It also applies my liquid foundation like a dream. And I love the handle - it feels really sturdy and you can tell that this brush is really well made. Even though this brush is not cheap, it is not much more expensive than the Sephora one, and the quality of the 187 is hands down better. The only thing that I didn't like about this brush is that is shed. At the first use, it spit black hairs on my face. I guess all brushes shed a little bit, or so they say, and yet my Sephora #44 hasn't shed at all. However, if this is the only negative, I can deal. And it hasn't shed since the first use, so maybe those were just loose hairs in the brush. I haven't washed it yet, so I can't say whether the dye runs when wet, but I'll do an update after the first washing to let everyone know my experience. But to those of you hesitating between the 187 and other knock-offs, remember this: No matter how soft the other brushes are, they will not compare to this brush. There are some things you should spend the extra money on, and this is one of them! UPDATE: I washed my brush for the first time and I had NO color run whatsoever. The white part of the brush stayed bright white. And I had no shedding issues after the wash either.

on 1/18/2009 5:18:00 PM

I heard that the 187SE's are LESS effective than the actually full sized brush. Just wanted to leave that here just incase it helps =)

Also, to me, it seems as if loses it's dye/color way to quickly. Maybe it is because I wash mines weekly =\ The white bristles are becoming visible on the sides. blech.

on 1/18/2009 5:09:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE! I love this brush! use it for foundation and it gives you this air brush effect. its amazing! i also like to use this for my blush and OMG it gives the most awesome flush.

This brush is the best for applying liquid foundation. LOVE IT! The SE edition does shed a lot, but the full size does not (after like 2 washes)and its great and I love it!

on 1/17/2009 6:19:00 PM

I got this brush last year but I've only just recently used it as I have been applying foundation and bb cream with my fingers. My skin is breaking out and I needed to applying the fdtn with a brush for better coverage.
I agree with all the other reviewers, its very soft and gives a smooth airbrushed finish! But it over-does the foundation and masks the face with uneveness to the face. I tried layering the foundation and it looks even more cakey. Its even more difficult to use around the nose area too.
It does shed and the hairs are extremely sparse thus the cakiness of the foundation IMO. However, i think it works great for blush

on 1/17/2009 2:28:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

My wonderful boyfriend bought this brush for me as a late Xmas gift. I had heard of the raves for this brush here and on youtube, every makeup guru has one. When I first got it I have to admit that I was very skeptical. The brush really did not look like it could do much. But I always knew I could return it if I didn't like it. I think the best thing to do is wash the brush as soon as you get it, I let it dry and noticed it "fluffed up" a lot. I used it the next night to apply my study fix fluid. I take some fdtn, apply it on my skin with my fingers, then I lightly dot or stipple the fdtn with the brush all over, then I lightly swirl to blend. I honestly did not think the brush would be able to blend the fdtn with the flimsy bristles but I was VERY wrong. Not only does it blend, it blends beautifully and flawlessly, no streaks at all. The only place that is a bit tricky to blend is around the nose area. The brush is very soft and I've had no shedding from it at all. It makes you skin look for smooth and fresh, GAH airbrushed even. The brush was 42$ and I know that seems a bit expensive, but it really was worth it seeing I use it almost everyday. If you are going to splurge on yourself I say do it with the 187, you won't be sorry.

Popular Makeup Brushes