April 24, 2014 | 1804 users online

Fragrances - Chanel - No.5

rated 5 of 5 on 10/5/2004 8:56:00 AM More reviews by birg

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Some MUA reviewers don't like this fragrance, as it reminds them of their grandmothers. What is wrong with their grandmothers, I feel concerned? Well, I am a grandmother myself and I adore this warm, aldehydic, classic scent (however, not every day, it is a fragrance for special occasions). My love for Chanel #5 has very little to do with the fact that I am a grandmother - I liked it as a young girl and woman and always felt so happy and secure, when my mother wore it. This fragrance always makes me feel the woman (grandmother!) I am and hope to remain.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/5/2004 2:49:00 AM More reviews by HapaDynazty

I'm sorry but this stuff smells realllly bad.. I know it's a "classic" but it reminds me something my grandmother would wear!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/29/2004 7:35:00 PM More reviews by doggerel

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

When I was a teenager (30 years ago) I didn't want to be trendy, I wanted to be unusual. So I developed a taste for scotch while my friends were quaffing Boone's Farm and I started wearing Chanel No. 5 while they were wearing Love's Fresh Lemon. My mother never wore scent, so maybe this was also an act of youthful rebellion. :-) I still wear Chanel No. 5 (although I wear others more now) and it still smells wonderful to me. (I'm still drinking scotch, too; am I in a rut?) At first it's a sweet floral, but it dries down to a nice powdery finish on my skin, and it lasts all day. In my youth I felt terribly sophisticated when I wore it; now it feels comforting, like old cashmere. I'll wear it with jeans, but when I have to wear a little black dress I have to wear Chanel No. 5. It's perfect.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/19/2004 5:43:00 AM More reviews by laurus

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Smells like CLASSIC and not on the good way. Too strong and powdery. Gives me a headache but it is not an annoying fragrance. Just could not wear it myself.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/14/2004 9:46:00 PM More reviews by manda_c

This Chanel classic is not for me. It is quite a simple froral featurong Ylang Ylang, rose, jasmine, with a bit of a powdery finish. I think it is the Ylang Ylang which makes it smell like toilet freshener on me, (a bit like the L'occitane Ylang Ylang range does actually). Saying that I have noticed it as a wonderful scent on others and been surprised to hear it is No.5! On me it smells like cheap + stinky Coty L'aimant!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/14/2004 12:48:00 PM More reviews by princessg

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I absolutely cannot live without this fragrance.
It is simply beatiful and expresses my personality perfectly.
It is timeless, classic, chic and graceful - something you don't find in modern fragrances.
I am tired of generic bathroom-cleaning product type perfumes and I find looking to the older more established perfumes delivers results all the time.
I will never be without this fragrance.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/14/2004 1:12:00 AM More reviews by Soie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

A bare bones powdery floral. A nice uncomplicated fragrance to spritz on lighly after taking a hot bath on a chilly night. I suspect that if this same scent was a recent concoction by Avon, Revlon or Coty (rather than an old one by Chanel), it would have ten reviews and nine of them would be absolutely scathing....

rated 5 of 5 on 9/11/2004 6:03:00 PM More reviews by enkeli

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I am firmly in the camp of those who love this classic fragrance. Now, I'm no perfume expert, and
I tend to lean heavily toward the older fragrances anyway, but this scent, to me, speaks volumes of grace and class. At first spritz I can pick out no specific notes in the EDT, but after about an hour this beautifully crafted, yet otherwise indistinguishable floral concoction reveals a soft
sandalwood base.

Professional, understated, confident, timeless.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/9/2004 1:07:00 PM More reviews by facesbytracy

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I absolutely love Chanel #5. It is sheer luxury! It's vibrant, elegant, sophisticated and feminine. I love the softness of the vanilla, rose and jasmine. It is a fragrance I would wear to bed. It makes me feel a bit sexy, a bit girly and so comfortable.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/5/2004 4:01:00 PM More reviews by katybrighteyes

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Hey, girls ... Gramma here! I'm sitting here LMAO at the many references to "grandma" and "old." Admittedly, I'm probably much older than most of you at the site, but hey, I'm not THAT old. :o) I've been wearing Chanel No. 5 since I was in high school (many years ago... LOL). Almost every other fragrance I've tried gets "stinky" on my skin in a matter of minutes. *sigh* Personally, I find the fragrance of Chanel No. 5 beautiful and soft. I've had complete strangers compliment me when I was wearing it, comparing it to Johnson's baby powder. My ONLY complaint is that the scent doesn't seem to last... at least on my old lady skin. :o)

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No