December 22, 2014 | 1756 users online

Liquid - Chanel - Vitalumiere Aqua Ultra-Light Skin Perfecting Makeup SPF 15

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/7/2011 4:21:00 PM More reviews by lollsazz

UPDATE 16th feb. 2012: one more lippie off. I'm pretty sure this foundation gave me quite a lot of blackheads over 4 months of use, and I don't (almost ever) sleep in makeup, and always use really good cleansers. I also think this somehow managed to make my skin more sensitive to skin care products over time - I think it may be the alcohol...
UPDATE 17 may 2011: This has not broken me out yet - I've even slept with it for about one week... Would usually never done that. Don't ask. BUT: I alwas wash my face really well to not get clogged pores.
One thing I think you should be careful with is using this around the eyes too much - I think the alcohol is a little bit too drying for the skin there.
I got this foundation because I stumbled upon a review here on MUA.

This product is special to me because of several reasons. It's pretty good to cover my redness (I'm not very red, but it's definitely one of my biggest insecurities) while it looks natural and it has surprisingly good staying power for the texture. Good staying power and natural look is two things that are essential for me. Also, this foundation doesn't sink into my fine lines, which I think all of my previous foundations did, but this doesn't! I also like the consistency very much - it's like a super light cream-gel. I also kinda like the scent – I think it smells like lilac (actually, I think I've heard it's lotus), but some people would probably not prefer perfume in their foundation.

This isn't a foundation for those with much to cover; I would say the coverage is light to build-able medium. It evens out your complexion well, at the same time remaining the real-skin-look, but it won't be able to cover bigger flaws. To some degree, this is possible to solve by using a concealer, but be careful so the concealer doesn't stand out. I have imperfections (and not really few) on my skin, but lately I've decided to go for the more natural look, even if it means that my skins flaws will shine through. I think I'm done with trying to achieve a porcelain face with a bit bad skin and a lot of makeup - I'll try to get my skin in better condition instead, and then use light makeup, but till then I'll just let people see my bad skin.

I haven't yet tried this without powder over, so I can't say anything about how this foundation is when it comes to controlling oil. Else, I have the combination oily-dry skin, and I don't think this foundation accentuates either of these. I've used this for about two weeks, and I don't think it has broken me out; I actually had an outbreak, but I think it's more because of my time of the month. So, when you try out new products, you should consider this factor if you're on of the "lucky" people with crazy hormones.

When you choose you colour, you have to know that this gets a bit darker when it dries, so I highly recommend waiting for the drydown colour (3-5 minutes, I think). I use this in colour B20, although I'm pretty sure B10 would fit me better, but they don't sell this here in Norway. So I really wish they could import this for us people that don't visit the solarium twice a week... and I can't say I'm pale really. For reference, I'm a NC 20 in MAC (after oxidation...).

The brochure that comes with this recommends that you apply this foundation with your fingers instead of a sponge or brush for a more natural effect. I think this method works well. This has also encouraged me to try to do the same with other foundations. After a couple of years using sponges (for heavier coverage but more skin-like look) and brushes (because it seems more professional and hygienic, and also reaches places like around my nose very well), I've again discovered that the power of fingers is underrated :) I do it like this:
- dab the foundation on different parts of my face
- smear it outwards so it covers even
- use my fingers to dab the foundation to get rid of streaking and make it look skin-like (especially useful over the eyebrows to take away access foundation)

If you have oily skin, you might be better off using a brush to apply foundation though, because oils from the hands transfers on your face, and can make you become oily faster. Just a PS: a foundation brush gives heavier coverage, so if you have a foundation that you think is too heavy, you can try to apply with fingers. One very important thing when applying with fingers is that they HAVE to be clean.

I give this foundation 4/5 overall, 3/5 for the packaging – it's purpose was to be a foundation that is really light-weight, with a safe bottle, so people could carry it around anywhere, BUT when there's about 1/5 of the bottle left it's very hard to get out, 4/5 for price – it is pretty damn expensive, especially as the packaging cost must've been pretty low.

15 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2011 11:17:00 PM More reviews by Mckensey

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I too love this product. I waited months for it to come to the United States and was it worth the wait! Most makeup settle in my lines making me look older and just ucky. This is light and does just blend into your own skin. I was matched at B40 not too dark, I have a little tan. It lasted all day including working out in the am. I recomend shaking the bottle really well and then apply to the top of your hand. Dot a little on forehead, nose, cheeks and chin then blend. Sometimes if I want a little more coverage I use a makeup brush a apply a tad more. This drys to a flawless smooth look. No breakouts and I have very sensitive skin. I have been using this for about 2 weeks. I will be repurchasing this when I run out. Love, love, love it!

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2011 11:04:00 PM More reviews by ilovecouture

Totally IN LOVE with this foundation. This is a "your skin but better" kind of formula. Works beautifully on my fair skin. B-10 is a perfect match for me. Shade range is excellent as it goes from very fair (with pink undertones) to rich (with golden undertones). Beware you MUST shake this or else it is much to runny. (yuck!) I love that the coverage is totally flawless but so sheer at the same time. Perfect for someone who wants a little more than just tinted moisturizer, or for someone who hates the feel of a foundation but wants to appear "more flawless." I especially love the glow it leaves my skin without looking shiny or oily. It's oil free which is a plus for me. The packaging is so travel friendly too. Actually the same size as my regular Mat Lumiere foundation just a shorter bottle so don't be fooled by the size. $45 for a CHANEL foundation that makes my skin look natural WITH coverage AND lightweight?!...Sold! :)

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/6/2011 10:53:00 PM More reviews by playsomevinyl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

This foundation is great for those with oily or normal skin. I have dry skin and this dried it out even more since it contains alcohol. The color selection also leans on the pink side. I am NC20 in MAC terms and both B10 and B20 were too peachy pink for me. The coverage is on the lighter side of medium. I would have rated this a 4 if not for the color selection. Overall, this is a good foundation for those who are not dry needing light/medium coverage.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/5/2011 6:52:00 PM More reviews by highheeled

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

While the amount of coverage is perfect and the color - BR10 - is perfect on my NW20 skin, this foundation ended up looking patchy and uneven after about two hours of wear, and it made my skin terribly flaky by the end of the day. It's a shame, because my skin looked so pretty and natural and glowy at first. Oh well. :(

rated 5 of 5 on 3/5/2011 1:03:00 PM More reviews by charlx

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I just got this last week in B20 and I am just so happy with it. I usually use Laura Mercier oil free tinted moisturizer in Nude but was looking for something with a bit more coverage and was pointed in the direction of this foundation... and I'm in LOVE! In terms of coverage, this is about two steps up from a tinted moisturizer, but the things it does to my skin-- WOW! I love my LM TM, but I've totally abandoned it and am not looking back.
I have a pretty oily t-zone and this keeps the oilies back for most of the day (around 3pm I notice I need a blot). It leaves my skin looking glowy, NATURAL, and gorgeous-- and it smooths my skin so it seriously feels like silk. I guess that's what you should expect with Chanel! I do love the packaging-- you can easily control how much you use and the plastic container is secure for putting in your bag and having a plastic case makes me less nervous about breaking it!
My skin is pretty sensitive so I was worried about getting a breakout with this, but my skin is looking good (maybe even better than before?) so that's a MAJOR plus. I love the scent-- it is on the stronger side, but I think it's lovely and is dissipates after about an hour.
The one downside is that you should seriously shake it for at least a minute or two before you use it (sometimes longer)-- otherwise you'll get the clear part of the foundation rather than the pigmented bits.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/2/2011 3:12:00 PM More reviews by Winthrop44

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Tried this today in B10, the lightest yellow toned shade available, and it literally looked orange on me. The shade range is very limited and does not go either light enough or dark enough imo. In addition to the shade issue, it burned my skin within about 10 minutes of application. I have rosacea with very sensitive skin but gave it a try because I was feeling brave. With the high alcohol content, chemical sunscreen and very noticeable fragrance I would have been pretty surprised if rosacean skin could tolerate it. I know not everybody's skin is as sensitive as mine but I don't care for the latest craze of high levels of alcohol in foundations as I don't see how that could be great for anybody's skin over the long term. For ref I am NC10-15, Chantecaille Future Skin Porcelain

14 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/1/2011 4:27:00 PM More reviews by Katie75007

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This foundation is incredible -- but I realized (after assuming that BR10 would be a match -- and then subsequently trying B10) that I have no shade match, as is the case with most Chanel foundations, save a few. The color matching issue notwithstanding, my original rave review is as follows:

Despite the "aqua" in its name, this is actually a matte finish foundation -- which is not drying or cakey in the least. I was surprised, too, that the matte finish lasted ALL day -- I normally need a quick touch up or two in the t-zone, but this truly kept my skin matte. I would say that the coverage is light to medium. I would definitely repurchase this -- it's amazing! Be sure to shake well, though -- while it appears watery, if you shake it sufficiently before squeezing, it actually has a gel-like consistency. Don't be afraid to try this if you don't normally go for matte foundations, or even if you have dry skin. It's lovely!

For reference, my skin is NW5-10 / NARS Siberia.

**** UPDATE: As much as I loved this, I noticed that BR10 is actually *way* too dark for me -- by a long shot :(. In daylight, it looks peachy and mismatched, even when blended along my jawline -- if I step back, my face is an entirely different color than the rest of me. I even went back and looked at B10, thinking it would be less peachy, but it was also too dark. I'm so sad!! I wish it came two shades lighter :(.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/28/2011 11:17:00 PM More reviews by ahhhttack

This is a fabulous light coverage foundation, one step up from a tinted moisturizer coverage wise, and way more buildable than a TM. Though it isn't moisturizing, I much rather use a good moisturizer first and then this on top to get better coverage. My favorite part about Vitalumiere Aqua is its wear time, it lasts literally all day for me (normal/dry). This is going to be fabulous for the summer, when I like to go light on foundation but tend to sweat off anything that has too much slip to it. This foundation has a natural soft matte finish. I apply it with my fingers after shaking the bottle 3-5 times. I use 2 tiny dollops for my entire face, so the bottle will last a good amount of time. It's $45/1oz which is on par with my other high end foundations. The only negative I can think to say about it is it doesn't have lighter shade options. I'm NC15/20 and I use the palest warm shade, Beige Pastel (B10). I think anyone on the lighter side of NC20 and under should go with B10, and anyone on the darker side of NC20 to NC25 should go with B20. I added to the photos comparisons I did with my other foundations/concealers: BB Skin in Warm Ivory, BB Natural Finish in Sand, MUFE HD in 117, and MAC Pro Longwear Concealer in NC15. You can see how anyone under NC15 will have an issue matching this foundation. I will say though that since it's sheer the shades do have some wiggle room, much more than an opaque foundation would. Finally, when choosing your shade, I'd recommend waiting five or so minutes before committing, as they tend to dry down a smidge darker than when first applied. Overall, this is my HG light coverage foundation, and will definitely buy again (don't you dare d/c this Chanel!).

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/28/2011 8:56:00 PM More reviews by Shadowline

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This is very lovely new addition to the Chanel line. I was surprised to find this more matte in finish but it doesn't dull my dry skin at all. I bought the palest in the Rose line and I think true NW15s will be pleased with the color match.

The liquid itself is surprisingly thin but the coverage is truly medium and feels quite weightless. I like the packaging for travel and prefer it without a pump. One mark off because of the very, very strong fragrance that didn't on me for several hours. It was rather like perfuming my face.

I'll write more detail when I've worn it for a full week.