September 18, 2014 | 951 users online

Liquid - Chanel - Vitalumiere Aqua Ultra-Light Skin Perfecting Makeup SPF 15

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2011 4:14:00 PM More reviews by charissez

like the previous reviewer, i first got a sample of this in the UK glamour magazine. i rarely use foundation as i find my t-zone gets oily quickly and causes any foundation to streak. the ones that mattify and really stay put on my nose always dry my cheeks out. so i have always been in search of a light foundation. when i saw this, i was excited and couldnt wait to try it. the shade provided was beige, and it was 1/2shades too light for me. nonetheless, i used a stippling brush to put on a small amount and it didnt look too "off". it is very easy to spread and sets fairly quickly. love the silkiness of it during application. blends very very easily due to the thin consistency. i put on a thin layer of powder over it to set it and i was good to go. the foundation lasted the whole day, and gave me a very even, glowly complexion. i love it and i love the way it feels and looks. went out to get the full size in sable the next day. i think i have found my go-to HG light coverage foundation. GO CHANEL!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/4/2011 3:50:00 PM More reviews by Sourlemonzest

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I got a sample of this in B20 from the February issue of the British magazine: Glamour, which I got last month. I quickly ripped it out in the excitement of being able to try a Chanel foundation not expecting to really like it as a much as I did.
This foundation looked like real skin; so often have I seen attempts to pass off dewy/satiny foundations as skin-like – let’s be real here, how many people have naturally (non-greasy) dewy complexions? This was the real deal; just shy of matte but with a lovely glow. The finish it gave off was indiscernible from my own skin (the patches that were in better condition at least!) Despite not being a traditional matte, the foundation lasts pretty well throughout my working day (around 8 hours - my working day that is), but I find that for my skin type, setting with oil/blotting every few hours is still required so that my skin doesn't get oily (this is an issue with my skin rather than the foundation). I would be interested to see how it fares on a hot and humid summer day.
I apply this foundation with clean hands – I prefer this method because it really allows me to blend the foundation into my skin. The foundation gives a light to medium buildable coverage, I’m currently dealing with the aftermath of my most recent hormonal breakout and this foundation (and dabbing on a little concealer) hides everything I need to hide. The foundation is a brilliant base for the rest of my makeup…I feel like everything else just blends beautifully into my foundation. As a current NC25, the B20 matches pretty well, as does the B30 shade which is slightly warmer – which would be more versatile for the use in the summer.
I have seen a few people trying to compare this to the Mac Face and Body foundation. In brief, I can see what they mean but to me they are two different animals. Chanel VA is less runny and slightly creamier, provides slightly more coverage and has a more satin-matte finish whereas the Face and Body, when unpowdered, is most accurately described as dewy.
As an added bonus, this is my daytime foundation so I really appreciate the SPF15 for when I’m feeling lazy about putting sunscreen on!
Overall I really rate this foundation but it is very pricey so I would definitely recommend anyone considering this to request a sample from their local counter before they buy!

EDIT: B20 is my closest match, B30 looks noticeably dark in harsh sunlight (although acceptable otherwise)
Also this product is fragranced so definitely sample first if you have particularly sensitive skin - my sensitive skin seems to be ok with it but I can't speak for everyone.

UPDATE one month on: I 've tried wearing this for 12 hours and it looks wonderful - I've even worn this without blotting and aside from a little shine, the foundation itself looks fresh. I've also been getting compliments on how much better I look - only to surprise people by saying that I'm wearing foundation; they didn't seem to think I was wearing anyway. I'm especially impressed because I am in the midst of a bad hormonal outbreak (yes time of the month again) and this along with studio finish concealer has gained me more compliments than when I wasn't breaking out.
This foundation doesn't break my skin out.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 1/28/2011 9:22:00 AM More reviews by ilorietta

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I tried this for 4 days. I found the colour nice (NC25, B20) but the foundation has very little coverage (not a problem for me) and more importantly it's very flat....no glow, nothing. I wouldn't buy a full size.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/24/2011 12:21:00 PM More reviews by mimi1806

I love this foundation. Im normally NC30 skin and I bought #40, which is less yellow than MAC foundations and matchs my skin perfectly (it tones down my yellowish Asian skin tone which I love). I've tried a lot and this is by far one of my faves (others are MUFE #123 and Chanel Matte Compact #20). Very easy to blend, sheer and natural. Coverage is much better than Chanel Vitalumiere. Dont mind for the price because it will last at least 6 months. The packaging is not very convenient its hard to get the right amount but for me its still good cause I prefer it than the glass bottle) I've not tried Guerlain Lingerie, but I think Im pleased with it right now and no need to try another one anymore. Really recommend it. Will repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/22/2011 2:25:00 PM More reviews by AgentM

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have oily skin and very oily in t-zone and have problems with foundations staying on. Many "lift" off on my oily areas and even Estee Lauder Double Wear & Double Wear Light lift off around my oily areas (chin, forehead, around nose) even when set with loose powder using a powder puff and the press and roll method. Dusting loose powder on doesn't set foundation especially if you have oily skin. I bought this in B20 - Tendre and it matches my light yellow based Oriental skin colour. It is smooth and creamy to the touch and sprends/blends very easy like a moisturiser. It meshes with skin and becomes "one" with skin so it looks like a "second skin". The finish is like skin i.e. semi-matt. It is not matt nor dewy but looks like the finish of natural skin with a slight sheen. Under a spot light there are small minute mica particles that give the sheen but you have to look very close and with a harsh light. Unlike Double Wear light which has bigger mica particles and sparkles too much for me. Coverage can be sheer-light with one layer and built up to light-medium with another layer but not more than that otherwise you use a lot of foundation and at £31 in the UK you don't want to use too much of this product. I find using fingers to blend it in is the best as it meshes with skin so much better and IMO for my oily skin - fingers makes the foundation last longer. I find using a foundation brush cause foundation to lift off on my oily areas as you don't press the foundation into the skin. I set this powder with Chanel loose powder using a puff and press and roll method. Had this on for 8 hours today and so far no lifting and it stays relatively semi-matt. Blotted and dusted Chanel pressed powder over my T-zone once but I have to do this as I have very oily T-zone and even Double Wear doesn't keep me matt. Overall impressed and it looks like skin and would buy again. Don't expect mega coverage as it is ultra light. Foundation is there to even out tone and minor imperfections, Use a good concealer and spot conceal if you have problem areas. I use Double wear foundation and a Laura Mercier concealer brush and spot conceal any marks or blemishes as it gives me the coverage and stays put for 15 hours and as it comes in lots of shades rather than 3 shades in Double Wear concealer - I get the perfect match. BTW as this has Titanium Dioxide as the active sunscreen ingredient and it is high up on the ingredient list, I tested this with flash photography and it does cause the white flash back, so don't use this if you know you will have flash photography. I tested it again with no flash photography and it looks like real skin. So if I am going to be somewhere with flash photography I will wear my Nars Sheer Glow as that has no flash back and photos like real skin.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 1/5/2011 4:14:00 AM More reviews by ibrusat

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

After having used a sample when this foundation first came out and not liking it at all, I decided to give it another go. Based on the rave reviews for this product and the thumbs up of uber make up artist Lisa Eldridge I went to the Chanel counter, got matched to B10 (I am NC15/20) and ... wow!! After 8 hours the foundation has not moved at all.

However, the amount of alcohol is astonishing: it is the 5th ingredient in thi product. I have dry skin and I am wary of the drying effects. I put it on with my fingers after having shaken it very well. It looks natural, gives an even finish and the colour is not too yellow like to original Vitalumiere. The packaging is handy for travelling and I like it has SPF 15. It has a scent that can be overpowering and lasts for ages (I really cannot stand it). I think it is an average foundation as in the end I am buying alcohol with tons of parfume to mask its smell. Would not repurchase. Nars Sheer glow is much better IMO.

14 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/4/2011 8:34:00 PM More reviews by changelyng

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

For some unknown reason Chanel does not release the lighter shades of their foundations in Australia (we're not all bronzed amazons here) so I was ecstatic to discover that the Vitalumiere Aqua was available here in lighter shades (I am normally an NW15 in MAC and bought a Beige Rose in Vitalumiere Aqua).

I have dry skin and am currently using this in the Australian Summer. The results of my experience with this foundation so far:

Pros:
* doesn't feel cakey,
* no flakiness on my dry skin (unheard of),
* skin feels soft and silky to the touch,
* coverage is excellent for Summer (I need concealer but that's to be expected),
* looks very natural with a very subtle sheen on my skin
* packaging is functional and portable
* colour range available is great (for pale people like me)
* can apply with foundation brush of fingers if necessary

Cons:
* can't see how much is left in the bottle

Overall, this is a great light weight foundation that looks and feels natural and works well on dry skin.

***Edit***
After 3 months of using this foundation, I can say I truly love it. At the moment, I'm cycling between this and MAC Face and Body, depending on how much coverage I want. If I'm going out and I want extra coverage sometimes I mix my Illamasqua Rich Liquid with my Vitalumiere Aqua and it works really well. I've got to say that I'm really pleased with this. My boyfriend keeps telling me how great my skin is looking. I'm looking forward to seeing how it works on my insanely dry Winter skin.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/4/2011 3:27:00 AM More reviews by xomiu

Price:
I got it for about $60, & it's only 30ml... but hey, it's Chanel, it's going to be expensive. So I try not to use too much, which is fine, since in the summer you don't need to.

Packaging:
The foundation itself comes in a plastic bottle which although is a little cheap looking, is better since it doesn't break. The ... opening? of the bottle, is a bit hard to control how much you want to come out, so be careful. But it's not too bad, & hygienic.

The foundation:
SHAKE REALLY WELL, otherwise it comes out part goopy, part watery. But when you do... the foundation, when applied, is really, really nice. It feels like you're not wearing ANY foundation at all, & doesn't clog. Your skin feels naturally nice, without being oily or dry.

When set with powder, the finish is really beautiful, glowing & natural - like you're not wearing foundation at all! But although the foundation covers minor imperfections with redness & enlarged pores, you will need to use a concealer for scars/pimples

The colour is great - I'm a fair yellow-toned Asian and B10 works perfectly! Doesn't oxidise either, or break me out - I'm pretty sensitive to a lot of products, but this is great. You can remove it with water or makeup remover pretty easily too.

Lasting power is okay, you'll need to touch up with powder during the course of the day.

Overall, I really love this foundation - just a shame it's SO pricy for the little amount you get! I would repurchase though, just because it's the best thing I've used. Ever.

xo

rated 5 of 5 on 1/3/2011 7:53:00 PM More reviews by MargaritaLo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

After trying a lot of liquid foundation, from nars, makeup forever, revlon...etc... I finally found my HG! I love this.. It's so lightweight. Will definitely buy again.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/20/2010 7:15:00 PM More reviews by Ceciliakh

Amazing stuff. This is my HG liquid foundation, after trying a lot of different liquid foundations - and I have tried them all.
It is very lightweight and has a perfect shade for me.