August 29, 2014 | 1221 users online

Liquid - NARS - Sheer Glow Foundation

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/13/2011 7:28:00 PM More reviews by redheadjane

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Ok, after hearing about this product for a long time, I finally decided to take the plunge. My skin is very Sensitive, breakout prone and in the winter I am combo to dry in the summer a little more oily. In the winter I do not like drying foundations. So I thought I would try this as it is meant for normal to dry and sensitive skin. But the Number 1 reason I got it..NO SPF, this is a good thing for me, as I am highly allergic to Chemical sunscreens. I also do modeling and need a foundation that does not cast white in photos. SPF makeup makes me look like a ghost in photos and is pretty much useless when I do photography work.

This is Medium coverage, Satin finish, somewhat buildable, I tested this first on totally bare skin, no primer etc and had a few spots to cover. It looked really good despite my crappy skin. Went on well with fingers. I always test foundations the first time around with no primer and with my fingers, Kind of my own foundation test. You can sheer this out with a Damp sponge. But this really goes on well with a stripling brush, you really can get an airbrushed look. I think the Key to using this foundation and getting that really nice airbrushed but natural skin look is completely in the application. This is highly pigmented, you do not need a lot of this product at all. It's thin texture is misleading to some ladies and I think those who find it cakey are putting on WAY too much. Second, you have to get a really close match to your natural skintone, this is the important key to any foundation looking natural. Third, Moisturize, primer, let face sit for a bit, then apply with a stipple brush or a sponge. I happen to like sponges because they are more hygienic, I just throw them away after every use, they are cheap in bulk. For those with dry spots? Exfoliate first. Apply a heavy moisturizer to your dry spots, then apply. For those that are greasy? This formula is probably not for you. Even says so on the bottle. Normal to Dry, very dry and sensitive. Go with he sheer matte, that's for oily skin.

I am wearing this in Deauville, is a really super close match to my skin, a little more yellow than I would go, but gives me a more warm look to my face. I typically wear Buff 2 in Lancome Teint Idole and in the winter can get away with MUFE #110. Yellow is good for those with a bit of redness in the skin, it can neutralize red spots and flushed skin. Most foundations (MAC...too yellow IMHO) use yellow bases because they flatter people's skin and make them look healthier. Of course too yellow makes you look jaundiced. I found Deauville to be true to the Pink/Yellow more neutral color description.

Of course my gripe about this is the packaging. NARS needs to get with it and just put a pump on this instead of people having to shell out money for a pump. MAC used to do this but have wised up on their newer foundations. It's how you keep customers..give them what they want. So put a pump on this NARS!!!

If you are senstiive to sunscreens, Like me, I think this is a great foundation. No breakouts, no reactions, no rashes. No itchies, which is common with a lot of Foundations for me. Does this live up to the hype? In a way...yes it does. It makes my not so perfect skin look really good, really natural, and I it does last about 8-9 hours on me with just a touch of powder on my nose. For something that is not supposed to be long wearing, I think that's more than I would expect. I'm giving it a four because I really like this now while my skin is drier, in warmer months I get oily, I am not sure how well it will stand up to the 90 plus degree humid heat I get where I live.

Note: Please shake this really well before applying.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/10/2011 9:37:00 PM More reviews by x0kerbear

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I have wanted to try Sheer Glow forever, but I would always talk myself out of buying it due to the price and I already have so many foundations! I had 3 foundations in my rotation - MAC face and body, Neutrogena healthy skin, and bare minerals. I love all of those, but I have to say NARS Sheer Glow is the holy grail foundation for me!

1. Application: I have found that this applies the best with my fingers, which also happens to be the recommendation from NARS. I've also used a traditional foundation brush and the Sephora airbrush foundation brush. With the brushes the foundation never quite sinks into my skin and I can see the makeup sitting on my skin. With my fingers it just blends amazingly into my skin and I get a beautiful even skin tone with a "no-makeup-look".

2. Coverage: Definitely medium to full for me. I would say this is the fullest coverage foundation I own. I would only call this buildable if you use your fingers - I usually start with a very small amount and then add a little more to my chin (my problem area). It also does a good job at covering my dark circles. I still use concealer for them, but I use a lot less than I would with other foundations.

3. Packaging: I personally LOVE the packaging! I don't feel it needs a pump at all. I just shake it really well and the product comes to the top and I just tap my finger on it to get some product out. I never pour foundations out of the bottle, you're just asking for a mess!

4. Lasting power: This foundation lasts all day on me, which is about 8-10 hours of wear. My skin looks amazing with this on - it really does "glow". I have combination skin - being combo-dry sometimes and combo-oily other times. I do use MAC mineralize skinfinish natural on my t-zone to set it and keep that area from getting oily.

5. Color: This is probably the first liquid foundation that matches me perfectly! I have pretty light skin, especially in the winter. Usually I'm the lightest or 2nd lightest in foudations but they are always super pink on me. I'm pretty neutral and Mont Blanc is perfect for me. It has more of a pink undertone, but not so much that it makes my skin super pink - it actually has a great balance of pinky-yellow. In the summer, I will probably wear Deauville.

Overall, I think NARS Sheer Glow is the best foundation I've ever used.
I love the glow my skin has with this and I have been using it most days of the week for ~2 months. I rotate between this and bare minerals. I really think this is worth a try and forget the makeup brushes - use your fingers!!
I will most definitely repurchase this -$42 is a lot, but definitely worth it for me!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/9/2011 3:18:00 PM More reviews by MalibuMands

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I'm about n10/15 and wear Siberia in SHEER GLOW. I'm too fair for many brands and given that my skintone is neutral too I have never before found such a great cover match. In fact I may need to go a shade darker come summer; I can't believe I'm saying that!

Where to start? You can tell by the name that SHEER GLOW gives my skin a silky and glowy finish, and given my lacklustre skin tone, I think this is close to miraculous! Best of all: SHEER GLOW feels light on my dry skin and is so easy to build up for medium coverage, plus there are no patches of dry skin at the end of the day. And it wears really well too, I can easily go a full day without needing any touch ups.

Is there any bad points? The formula is perfect for me, but I prefer foundation bottles to have pumps - it's more hygienic. And whilst SHEER GLOW is in no way the most expensive foundation out there, it is a lot more then my family and friends pay.

But those little niggles aside; This is now my HG foundation.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/6/2011 11:35:00 PM More reviews by mrsWard

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is HG for me! I love this foundation. Its extremely sheer but that works for me. I have a small bit of darkness under my eyes but this sheer foundation fixes it. I haven't used it with a concealer, but I may try. I love the dewy finish and the soft natural look it gives me. Its worth the price. We are military so when ever my hubby deploys to a base that has NARS, he picks this up for me. Its 35 bucks on base. My skin matches perfect with Trinidad.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/6/2011 9:33:00 PM More reviews by dehmorais

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is such an OVER SUPER DUPER OVERHYPED product.
I don't reccomend this for ANY skin type, this is such an awful foundation.

My skin in the summer: Oily t zone.

Texture: smoth and creamy, nothing wrong about it.

Finish: Dry, matte, nothing "sheer" about it. Accentuates EVERY LITTLE DRY spot, that maybe you didnt even know you had. PS: If you have any dryness around your nose FORGET ABOUT IT, you CAN'T use this then...

Coverage: medium

Lasting power: 12 hours!!!!!!!!!!!

Why Am I disappointed??? Because Nars makes such good products, and for the price, this HAD TO BE AMAZING. Also I had to buy a pump! So this foundation actually costs $48.00 (42+6 pump) plus shipping! If this cost something around $13 dollars I would say "yes, it's an ok foundation". But no, I'm sure there are drugstore foundations that have much better quality than this.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/3/2011 7:28:00 PM More reviews by mcclearydot20

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Ugh. I hate the price on this. It's absolutely freaking ridiculous. But I asked for this as a Christmas present, so I was lucky enough to use it my first time without spending any money. Another thing that is crappy is that you have to buy the pump for it separately... once again, I was lucky enough to receive THAT as a gift.

Putting all that aside, I really love the effect when applied with a stippling/highlighter brush. I haven't used any other application techniques, besides doing a few touchups with my fingers. It blends like a dream, and the shade is perfect for me (in Siberia - yep, I'm a ghost).

Sigh. I'll probably suck it up and buy it again when the time comes...

rated 3 of 5 on 12/30/2010 11:20:00 PM More reviews by simplystephy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love this foundation for special occasions, it leave such a beautiful finish and looks like normal skin, never cakey and doesn't make me look oily either. I love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/30/2010 9:12:00 PM More reviews by kims3142

edit: June 2012
OK this is HG now, only foundation I have ever bought 3 times, stays on great with NAC P&P Spf 50 & P&P Powder. Also the only non-pro foundation that comes in yellow/ olive tones for me.
Fantabulous!

I have been using this for about a year and I am about 60 - 70% through the bottle. I don't use it everyday, about 4 times a week.

This foundation has the best finish of all of the foundations I have tried both high and low end. There's no apparent shimmer, but the finish is very soft focused, glowy and mimics the look of real skin. I gave it a 4 because of the no-pimp issue and it doesn't wear as long as I would like it. But I have industrial strength oily skin and most foundations do not wear well after 4 or 5 hours. This lasts about 5 hours depending on whether or not I have primer on, then it lasts a bit longer.

What is great about this foundation first of all that is so lacking in other lines is the amazing color selection. I have very strong olive/ yellow undertones with my neck being almost 2 shades darker than my pinkier face. I wear this is Stromboli, I am currently about NC30 - 35/ C30 - 35. But I have worn this when I was more NC42 and it still looked natural. Even though this is medium coverage you get some leeway with the shades. When I was paler I did try Punjab which was a bit too peachy, but still worked from when I was NC 25-35.

I tried applying this in all of the possible methods and I prefer it with either a buffing brush or a flat foundation brush that is a filbert shape. You can layer this, but I have never gotten more than a medium coverage out of this one.

I don't think this makes me oilier, but it is a foundation more for normal, slightly combo to dry skins I think. If you want a foundation with beautiful texture, great yellow toned color selection and a candle-lit finish you should try this.

I love NARS, but they need to put a pump on this. I did buy this in GOBI which is very pale on ebay and it has a pump because it is a tester! I use it to adjust the color of my other foundations.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/28/2010 3:06:00 AM More reviews by candiy1028

One of my favorite foundations ever! It took me so long to purchase this because it was so expensive but what the heck. I heard so many great reviews and decided to try it. I have it in Stromboli. It is a bit light on me but its good for winter time since my tan is fading away. I do have oily skin and later on in the day it tends to get oily around my nose area. Other than that it looks flawless. Im going to try the MATTE next.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/25/2010 3:26:00 PM More reviews by knicks

I'm not a liquid foundation person as I'm more of a mineral makeup person. I prefer quick application. But I'm open to try new things. I've seen the hype all over the reviews board on this foundation so I decided to buy and try it myself. I have combination dry skin where I do get flaky skin sometimes. I was matched to Barcelona which actually is the perfect match for my skintone. I think the Barcelona matched me much better than the MUFE HD foundation in #55 where I find the MUFE #55 have a slight orange tone to it. I actually like this foundation more than my MUFE as this feels more natural and the texture is a lot easier to work with than the MUFE. In terms of coverage, it does even out my skintone but it doesn't cover up my acne scarring but even though my acne scarring still shows through(I have a lot of acne scarring on my cheeks and my chin), it doesn't bother me at all as I can always use a good concealer but usually I just leave it as it is then set it with powder. For application, I just actually use my fingers. In general I think I have found my HG liquid foundation.