December 25, 2014 | 1334 users online

Makeup Brushes - MAC - #187 Duo Fiber Face Brush (Stippling, Skunk Brush)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/21/2009 3:35:00 PM More reviews by jln7124

I have been wanting to try this forever and my HG Chanel Foundation brush finally needed to be replaced so I splurged on the 187. Though I do spend an obscene amount of money on make up, I really hate to spend a lot on brushes but I do make the occassional exception and this time I'm so glad I did. It was a bit hard for me to adjust to using the stippling brush vs. the traditional flat foundation brush I had been using, but now that I've got the hang of it, I doubt I will go back! This makes foundation application flawless & even, creating that "airbrushed" look. I use this mainly for my liquid foundation but have also used it to apply highlighter to my cheek bones and bronzer. Works a dream and you don't have to be a make up pro to get a great application with this brush! I do have two gripes. I seem to use more product (esp. foundation) when using a stippling brush vs. a flat one. Also, as Tigrou mentioned, the bristles shed more frequently than I would like (or expect, for the price!) My other MAC brush (#150) hardly ever sheds, and I was disappointed that the 187 does. However, the finished look is well worth it and I will repurchase!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/21/2009 11:27:00 AM More reviews by TRIPPIN

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Absolutely love this brush. The bristles are very soft and distribute liquid foundation beautifully. The results are a nice, airbrushed look. I will never go back to using sponges.

The price is a bit steep, but I think it's worth it. I clean my brush after every use. I use Quo (Shoppers Drug Mart, Canada) brush cleaner which costs $8, less than the MAC brush cleaner, and it does a beautiful job.

Highly recommend this investment to everyone.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/20/2009 8:45:00 AM More reviews by Tigrou

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This brush is so super soft, it is unbelievable. It also applies my liquid foundation like a dream. And I love the handle - it feels really sturdy and you can tell that this brush is really well made. Even though this brush is not cheap, it is not much more expensive than the Sephora one, and the quality of the 187 is hands down better. The only thing that I didn't like about this brush is that is shed. At the first use, it spit black hairs on my face. I guess all brushes shed a little bit, or so they say, and yet my Sephora #44 hasn't shed at all. However, if this is the only negative, I can deal. And it hasn't shed since the first use, so maybe those were just loose hairs in the brush. I haven't washed it yet, so I can't say whether the dye runs when wet, but I'll do an update after the first washing to let everyone know my experience. But to those of you hesitating between the 187 and other knock-offs, remember this: No matter how soft the other brushes are, they will not compare to this brush. There are some things you should spend the extra money on, and this is one of them! UPDATE: I washed my brush for the first time and I had NO color run whatsoever. The white part of the brush stayed bright white. And I had no shedding issues after the wash either.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/18/2009 5:18:00 PM More reviews by CTP

I heard that the 187SE's are LESS effective than the actually full sized brush. Just wanted to leave that here just incase it helps =)

Also, to me, it seems as if loses it's dye/color way to quickly. Maybe it is because I wash mines weekly =\ The white bristles are becoming visible on the sides. blech.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/18/2009 5:09:00 PM More reviews by missytease

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE! I love this brush! use it for foundation and it gives you this air brush effect. its amazing! i also like to use this for my blush and OMG it gives the most awesome flush.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/18/2009 5:08:00 PM More reviews by MissMisfitMary

This brush is the best for applying liquid foundation. LOVE IT! The SE edition does shed a lot, but the full size does not (after like 2 washes)and its great and I love it!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/17/2009 6:19:00 PM More reviews by ihatespots

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I got this brush last year but I've only just recently used it as I have been applying foundation and bb cream with my fingers. My skin is breaking out and I needed to applying the fdtn with a brush for better coverage.
I agree with all the other reviewers, its very soft and gives a smooth airbrushed finish! But it over-does the foundation and masks the face with uneveness to the face. I tried layering the foundation and it looks even more cakey. Its even more difficult to use around the nose area too.
It does shed and the hairs are extremely sparse thus the cakiness of the foundation IMO. However, i think it works great for blush

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/17/2009 2:28:00 PM More reviews by Buttercup86

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

My wonderful boyfriend bought this brush for me as a late Xmas gift. I had heard of the raves for this brush here and on youtube, every makeup guru has one. When I first got it I have to admit that I was very skeptical. The brush really did not look like it could do much. But I always knew I could return it if I didn't like it. I think the best thing to do is wash the brush as soon as you get it, I let it dry and noticed it "fluffed up" a lot. I used it the next night to apply my study fix fluid. I take some fdtn, apply it on my skin with my fingers, then I lightly dot or stipple the fdtn with the brush all over, then I lightly swirl to blend. I honestly did not think the brush would be able to blend the fdtn with the flimsy bristles but I was VERY wrong. Not only does it blend, it blends beautifully and flawlessly, no streaks at all. The only place that is a bit tricky to blend is around the nose area. The brush is very soft and I've had no shedding from it at all. It makes you skin look for smooth and fresh, GAH airbrushed even. The brush was 42$ and I know that seems a bit expensive, but it really was worth it seeing I use it almost everyday. If you are going to splurge on yourself I say do it with the 187, you won't be sorry.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/16/2009 2:10:00 PM More reviews by isseymiyake

great brush, but too pricy.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/16/2009 1:31:00 PM More reviews by foxysoxy804

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I am absolutely makeup dumb. Not good at applying makeup due to shaky hands/bad eyes/an inability to see streaks or flaws or anything. For (IMO) the most complicated component of beauty, liquid foundation, someone like me needs the 187 brush.

It makes putting the foundation on so easy. Also, it looks flawless. What you do is dab the top of the brush in the foundation, then dot it all around your face. Then, blend it all in with the brush using circular buffing motion.

44 dollars is a ton of money to spend on a brush. However, it is definitely worth it if you are like me.