MAC Paint Pot in Painterly

4.3

Isodocecane, dimethicone, polyethylene, hydrogenated polyisobutene, quaternium-90 bentonite, dimethicone silylate, octyldodecanol, silica, trihydroxystearin, retinyl palmitate, tocopheryl acetate, lecithin, carnauba wax, propylene carbonate, triethoxycaprylylsilane. May contain: mica, titanium dioxide, iron oxides, bismuth oxychloride, blue 1 lake, carmine, chromium hydroxide green, chromium oxide greens ferric ferroxyanide, manganese violet, ultramarines, yellow 5 lake.

on 8/16/2009 4:58:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

i love this stuff it makes eyeshadows stick better and appear more vibrant. Im soo over urban decay primer potion i hate the packaging and also it makes my eyelids dry so def, sticking to the paint pots!

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I've had this for awhile now and have only recently realized how well this really works as a primer. I've always used TFSI or UDPP and both are equally as good as far a lasting power, BUT, I tend to have watery eyes and if even the slightest tear touches my shadow (outer crease) it fouls up the whole look. With the UDPP it would end up drying up in the creases and look horrid and feel itchy. With the TFSI, it would almost gum up...for lack of a better word.
NOT so with Macs Painterly.
This stuff lasts and lasts. If my eyes happen to tear, I just blot them real quick with a tissue and all is good. I could never do this with TFSI or UPDD.
It matches my NW 20 skin perfectly. The shadow adheres well and last throughout the day...even when I went for a bike ride with the wind blowing in my face at 70mph, lol.
I'm hooked and will buy this again should I run out, but so far I've barely put a dent in my pot.

on 8/13/2009 10:47:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

AWESOME eye primer & has so many other uses! Will buy again def. I'm NC20 & this matches me PERFECT!

on 8/11/2009 4:16:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Medium

amazing product ! This is a multi-use product for me. It conceals redness on my eyelids and dark bags under my eye..also is a really great base for eyeshadow. It's the only base i will ever buy. i like that it's matte and goes on so smooth!

I changed my review of this because I have decided I don't need it. I use the Too Faced Eye Shadow Insurance every day and I find that to be the most effective eye primer. Painterly is nice, but it is a touch too light and it is hard to blend if you don't warm it up properly. My eyeshadow will crease quite quickly and the Too Faced pretty much ensures no-creasing at all ever forever and ever :)

on 8/7/2009 7:16:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

I use this as my regular base now. The color works as a neutral base for me. The only complaint I have about it, is that I don't like the smell of it. It started to smell funny after owning for about a month. I'm not sure if that's just me though.

I bought it because of the high recommendations from beauty bloggers, but this color made my skin so ashy looking. It make it look chalky, I think it's because I have medium tanned skin that sort of clashes with this color. I heard that if you have peach skintone then use painterly and if you have yellow skintone then you should used soft ochre. I think my next purchase would be soft ochre, but I did not like how painterly looked on my skin! :(

on 8/5/2009 1:15:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Easily blended & super smooth. Great natural color for a base. I really makes the shadow pop. Never creases if I don't sweat. It's still doesn't crease bad, but it definitely doesn't stay perfect if I'm sweating a lot during the workout. I usually wear it on the weekend & on days that I don't do strenuous cardio.

on 8/3/2009 9:28:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

The perfect neutral eye shadow base...soft, easy to blend texture.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I said I would buy this again, but it's more of a maybe. And it's more of a 3 1/2 than 3.

Pros:
- It's an exact match for my skin shade (NC20, Asian/yellow undertones), so when I put it on, it doesn't discolor my eyes at all nor does it really change the color of my eyeshadow (other than bring out the actual color).
- Creamy, lovely consistency. I lightly dab my ring finger in the pot and smooth on a very thin layer on top of UDPP.
- A LOT of product. I just started using this and I can see I won't make a dent in it anytime soon. This may turn into a con if it goes bad before I get through even half of it - will update if that happens.

Cons:
- Like I said, it works OK. It's not amazing or groundbreaking for me. UDPP is my HG staple and keeps my eyeshadow on my oily lids for an amazing amount of hours. When I pair UDPP with Painterly, I can't quite tell if it makes a huge amount of difference (maybe prevents creasing for an additional hour or two) but I know it definitely doesn't make things worse. Also, it doesn't work well WITHOUT UDPP. Just Painterly alone will have my eyeshadow and liner crease within a matter of hours, which is still better than just plain eyeshadow and liner (without any kind of base it will crease within the first 30 minutes!).

All in all, I'm on the fence. It doesn't improve my makeup enough to justify the price and the huge pot, but it's still a decent product and I will see after I finish this one if I want to repurchase.

Top Rated MAC Products