August 21, 2014 | 2114 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Paint Pot in Painterly

rated 3 of 5 on 6/7/2009 11:26:00 AM More reviews by askari

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This makes me look old. Every crease and line in my eyelid is highlighted. It's like coating a wall with lots of cracks and irregularities with matte paint. I've read many of the positive reviews here and wonder if the problem is that I'm applying it with a brush rather than dabbing it on with my fingers?

rated 4 of 5 on 6/6/2009 3:20:00 PM More reviews by Lizap

I was recomended by a Mac rep to try this and she was right.
I never used eyeshadow primer and boy was I wrong. I used MAC painterly pot and loved it. Kept my eyeshadow from creasing and fading. Grabbed my eyeshadow quick too.
You have to remember to blend really well and also if you blend up to eyebrows it will set your eyebrows too. Learned that myself.) It helps tame the brows and keep its shape and hold on the eyebrow color too. I apply it with a stiff eyebrow brush and it works better then just applying straight with pencil. Use a brush, it controls better.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/6/2009 11:42:00 AM More reviews by emememem

love the packaging,amazing base easily removed and eyeshadow stays exactly in place even in a water fight lol!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/4/2009 12:49:00 AM More reviews by frootloop75

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this! Perfect eyeshadow base for my NC40 skin.

Pros:
- matte and non creasing
- eyeshadows apply true to colour over the top
- easily removed
- sturdy glass pot, less messy than the original pain tubes
- a little goes a long way

Cons:
- minor one, but this is best applied just with fingertips. It goes all chalky and weird on me when I used an eyeshadow brush

rated 5 of 5 on 6/2/2009 11:15:00 PM More reviews by ravnoss

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

OMG!!! I love this! I've used bare canvas, and bare study for so long, I thought I'd try something matte and neutral. I wish I would have tried sooner! At first, it was chalky like everyone says, but somewhere I read to store these pots upside down so the oil can mix through to the top of the pot. That helps alot. I start by putting it on my bare eyelids, bottom to top. Then, I do my eyeshadow. Then, I wipe off anything that fell under my eyes and put some Mac Fast Response Eye Cream under my eyes. Then, I use Painterly over the cream as a concealer with my finger. Also, in the crease of my nose and around my mouth and lips. Then I use Stila Moisturizing Primer SPF 15 on the rest of my face and apply Mac Studio Fix Liquid Foundation in NC20 with a Mac 187 brush, thick for full coverage. I even put some on top of the Painterly under my eyes. Then a tiny dusting of Bare Minerals feather lite mineral veil and blush. Next, I use Mac Fluidline Blacktrack and line my entire eyes, and Zoomlash Mascara in Black. Then I use an Anastasia eyebrow template and draw them on with Mac Constructivist Paint Pot with a short, stiff angled eyebrow brush. I go over it with the same brush and some Anastasia Brow Gel. My entire face is PERFECT and GLOWY and MOISTURIZED and I only reapply lipgloss all day. No oily T-zone and no extra powdering necessary.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/1/2009 11:57:00 PM More reviews by Violet912

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Other

I bought this because my beautiful blue MAC eyeshadow, Freshwater, mysteriously doesn't stick to my beloved Too Faced Shadow Insurance. I decided to try this based on all of the hype. I drew up and down my arms with different eyeshadows over Painterly and TFSI and drew a few conclusions.

First off, Painterly is stickier than TFSI and it is superior at holding onto my more uncooperative shadows, such as Freshwater and some of my chalkier NARS shades. So Painterly is definitely going to be useful for those ones.

The supposed great thing about Painterly, though, is that it's supposed to be a nude shade that isn't very visible. Painterly is actually about two shades darker than I am... so it doesn't really work for me that way. If I apply Painterly to my lid, I have to be sure to cover it completely with shadow or else it looks like badly matched foundation. (TFSI disappears completely on me.) Also, Painterly is indeed a light pinkish brown color... and while darker eyeshadows appear more bright and vivid when applied over Painterly, lighter colors are given a pink/brown shift. This may not be the case for someone whose skin tone more closely matches Painterly... but it certainly was for me. So, Freshwater looked awesome, and NARS Misfit was great, but when I decided to test it with lighter shades? UD Speed looked like dirty UD Asphyxia. MAC Crystal Avalanche looked like MAC Pink Freeze. It still looked pretty, but it wasn't the color I wanted it to be.

The verdict: Painterly will be very useful for the shadows I was almost ready to give up on. For everyday wear, however, I'll stick to my Shadow Insurance.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/30/2009 12:04:00 AM More reviews by amyzan8

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I use this as an eyeshadow primer or alone on days I want a makeupless look (you know, concealer, powder, lip gloss.) I'd strongly recommend applying it with a synthetic flat brush, the kind you use for creamy concealer. It's a bit dry and so must be applied quickly, and I have a lot of eyelid, so the brush helps. I also find it works best to start with a small amount, and layer if needed for more coverage. It's highly pigmented and a little will go a long way.

I am an N4 in summer, N2 in winter, and this Painterly color is neutral on me. It does a great job of staying put ALL day, doesn't crease a bit, and makes eyeshadow last and last when used as a base layer. I tried the MAC primer, which is considerably stickier and more oily, but it made my eyelids itch like mad, then break out in little whiteheads. So, Painterly it is and will be for eyeshadow primer.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/28/2009 5:58:00 PM More reviews by HannahxMakeup

I'll start by saying, when I first bought this, I figured it would be SO creamy and I'd LOVE it.

I'll say it's not a cream eyeshadow, it's more of a base. So if your looking for something really creamy, this isn't the product.

Anywho, I noticed it took a while to get the cream consistency to start, which wasted a lot of product cause I had to rub my finger in it forever.

Right now, I LOVE it a lot. I would recomend a painpot with shimmer though because I've heard the matte's like Painterly and Soft Ochre aren't really that creamy as they should be.

So just buy what works for YOU! And always test the product at the store.

SUMMARY: This is an awesome base, would recomend for people WITH EYE PRIMING EXPERIENCE.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/24/2009 11:02:00 PM More reviews by mistyct

Well, i tried the UDPP. It worked amazingly. However, it seemed just so drying to me. Not to mention the PITA it was to get the product out of the tube. Ugh. What a waste of time. I like this Paint Pot generally. I dont know what it is but only sometimes, it seems to emphasize my verrrrrry fine lines around my eyes.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/24/2009 3:26:00 PM More reviews by laceylogan

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I love the consistency and the color of this product, it does what it says it will...good base, no crease....My gripe is the packaging, I'm not a big fan of digging my fingers into a pot. I bought a new flat shader brush by Sonia Kashuk yesterday so I think that will solve that problem, so ultimately I would purchase again!