Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (All brands)

4.5

Cocos nucifera

on 1/1/2009 11:43:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Greatest moisturizer ever. It makes my skins incredibly soft. It reduces those little bumps I used to have. My skin doesn't react well to lotions with dyes and perfumes in this, but with coconut oil there is no irritation. Plus, this stuff smells great and you can eat it!

on 12/31/2008 10:34:00 AM

I use coconut oil for almost everything - love it for my hair (I use after the shower for my long, course, curly hair) and I literally get compliments everywhere I go.

Use it on my body after a shower (warning, you do need to let it soak in before dressing!) I shower at night, so not an issue.

Have those bumps on the back of your arms? Try skin brushing and then Coconut oil. In one week - GONE.

I love love love this product - used to use expensive hair products, now I use only coconut oil. It's the bomb!

Get EV coconut oil though even though it's most expensive.

Tip - put some in a small tupperware container (really small, like for sauces) put in microwave to melt - then it's solid. I use it like a bar of soap to moisturize my whole body - works so easy!!!

on 12/26/2008 7:04:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Ok, I had to write this as this is one of the staple oils in my pantry.

NOTE: I never use the brands we get in Indian/ Asian stores. Old stock very rancid and you will start hating the oil :-(

I have lustrous hair due to genes first and also the fact that my mom used to condition my scalp, hair and hair ends with coconut oil. My gran used to dry the coconuts and send it to mill for making pure coconut oil..we used to cook in this oil.

I dont use conditioner after shampoo..i have started using ACV rinse after shampoo as my scalp dries in winter. Once the hair is dry, i massage scalp with very little coconut oil and also to the ends of hair..this is the only conditioner which tames my thick hair and adds a natural shine to it. i love the smell so no qualms about using it.

It can be used as a makeup remover, moisturizer for dry skin, add to a bodyscrub, I use it on and off depending on my mood.

The best uses i personally found is that

1. My dogs love a spoon of coconut oil in their food. I have westies..Their coats are great, skin is supple..my allergic dog who used to itch and scratch al the time is now happy due to coconut oil, ACV (reviewed) and Fish oil (will review soon).

2. I take a tbsp of coconut oil in my morning smoothie. I started with a very strict regimen for my overall health in the past 1.5 months and it is showing surely on my skin. I really wish i involve myself in this regimen forever - my scatter brain never allows me to stick to one regimen faithfully :-(...so intake of coconut oil has shown on my skin (i also take a good fish oil supplement, so it can be that also, not sure). Most of all - i do beleive it has stopped me from gaining weight or i should say my cravings are less, i have not changed anything else so far. I dont want to sound like a quack here but it helps me (this is just my personal belief)...my thyroid level is normal which was not normal before and my cholestrol levels are great..Observing the blood report of what was done present and before the regimen, i can start to say positive things about coconut oil. I cannot take too much of prescription meds due to my autoimmune conditions so this has so far been a boon. I will surely update on this as i feel it is important to share.

3. I groom my dogs by myself. A light coat of coconut oil on the grooming shears, anything metallic like stripping combs are just feeling like NEW tools! The same with kitchen tools - knives, scissors....smear lightly and then wipe off with a paper towel after a day/ night..the tools looks and act new!

4. the first use of coconut oil was on my dog's hot spots and itchy paws..even a cortisone cream didnt clear it in a day but coconut oil just wiped off the spots.. cant beleive but its true. One thing is i added neem oil to coconut oil so that my dog doesnt lick off the paws :-)

Currently i use Nutiva. I have tried full fat coconut milk (wonderful hair treatment by the way), coconut butter..but i will keep the oil for ever.

Thank you!

on 12/26/2008 6:30:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I use this on my face before going to bed at night. It's great especially in the winter when skin gets dry. My skin is on the oily side but gets a dry surface, especially in winter air. Although you wouldn't think it, it helps heal blemishes because it has anti-bacterial qualities. More than once i've put it on pimples (I tend to get bad ones around my chin) at night before going to bed and in the morning they are much improved and going away. Also something you wouldn't expect but it helps shrink pores, because the oil gets into clogged pores and dissolves them. Something about this oil just seems to be really compatible with skin. The only downside is it is very oily/greasy until it gets absorbed into skin, so i use it on my face only at night. It's also good on legs/arms too, but you have to use it sparingly so it's not too greasy until it has a chance to sink in.
***UPDATE*** I stopped using this on my face since trying jojoba oil, which has been better as a precleanse type of oil (leave it on for a minute then wash off with foaming/lather type cleanser) because it seems to dissolve more completely with the cleanser. HOWEVER, it is now my HG hair deep conditioning treatment. My hair, very thick to begin with with a semi-frizzy layer on top, after highlighting was just a freaky mess. The highlights were beautiful, but my hair, long enough that it's down to my bra strap, refused to lie flat no matter how much I hot-rollered and straightened it. Mayonnaise and the Matrix Sleek Look line were helping, but not enough. So I tried wetting my hair, soaking it with EVCO, and sleeping on it overnight. In the morning, I washed (one shampoo) and conditioned with Matrix Sleek Look as usual. After my hair dried and I started to hot roller it I had, to my delight, normal, shiny hair again that actually lays down and hangs the way hair is supposed to!!! Wow-- glad I tried it. I'll be doing this all the time now.

on 12/13/2008 5:59:00 PM

i love my extra virgin coconut oil! i have the nutiva kind, it only costs me $10 and it's the best money well spent. i use it to remove my makeup, for my skin, for my hair...i need to get a new jar for eating, as i don't want to use the same jar i dip my hands in for my hair as i do for eating!

it is hands down the BEST makeup remover ever, removes those stubborn waterproof formulas and leaves no trace of liner. usually i just dip my fingers in the jar, get a little and spread all over each eye then gently wipe off with a tissue. i think it has helped revitalize and nourish my eyelashes as well, as my eyelashes have been curling very very well! last trip that i went home, i used some MU remover i had left in my bathroom and it sucked so bad! it's great on skin to hydrate, i've been using it instead of my usual cetaphil cream. i believe it has helped my KP aka chicken skin and my skin is smoother and is not as dry.

as for hair, i like to use the EVCO once a week as a treatment. i just slather it on all over my head and on my dry scalp to help it (i just moved to the east coast and this island girl is totally not used to it!!), tie it up in a ponytail and leave it alone for an hour. my bf likes to laugh at me when i do this, because my hair looks so greasy. then i shower and shampoo as normal, somtimes i'll also do an ACV rinse with my conditioner and that helps so i don't have to shampoo twice to get all the residue out. the result is soft, bouncy hair that feels healthy and nice to touch.

everyone should get EVCO, i haven't used it on my face, i think i'm too scared to, plus i have tons of skincare that i'd rather use up instead. i love my coconut oil, and ingesting a couple tbsp a day will make your skin glow from within and keep you healthy. defintitely recommend it to everyone!

on 11/26/2008 3:17:00 AM

I LOVE coconut oil! I use it for nearly everything. I remove makeup with it, use it as a conditioner, shave cream, moisturizer, hand and cuticle cream. Everywhere I use it, it leaves me softer and smoother than before. Only downside is that my dogs always want to lick it off of me when I use it as a lotion, lol.

on 11/24/2008 12:36:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Pros: hair is nourished from deep within as coconut oil is more penetrative than any other oil due to its low molecular weight, leaves hair soft, shiny,smells heavenly, actually reduces hair fall and dandruff.. can be used as base oil with rosemary and walnut essential oils. It is even excellent for the skin as it absorbs instantly, but it can be drying. Coconut Milk Oil is better for use on the skin..

Cons: cannot be used as a leave in conditioner, requires tons of shampoo to wash it off..

on 11/23/2008 11:26:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Coconut oil is my absolute favorite deep-conditioning hair treatment, EVER. I always slather a big amount in my hair & scalp, and leave it overnight when I plan to shower in the morning.
I can tell the difference immediately after I shampoo- my hair is noticeably smoother & softer. After using my normal conditioner & hair products and letting it air-dry, my hair is improved - BIG TIME. Softer, smoother, moisturized, and split ends aren't as noticeable.
I've tried tons of the deep conditioners that you use in the shower, but nothing even comes close to Coconut oil.
I've also started using this as a cuticle oil and it works GREAT!
I strongly recommend this!

on 11/18/2008 2:41:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

Recently bought a jar of refined coconut oil, by Spectrum, after reading about the benefits of it for a couple years. Not tried it on my hair or face but I used it on my hands the other night before bed. My hands had cracked and were bleeding in some spots so I slathered some on. The next morning the cracks had softened and were healing and now after a couple days use my hands look back to normal. Great stuff (!) and to think I've been walking past this stuff a million times at the grocery store! UPDATE 4/4/11 Been using this, this time organic raw unrefined coconut oil, on my face as a moisturizer the past couple of weeks and I can say that it's working out great! As a moisturizer it gets along well with my moody skin and heals up and reduces any redness I have when it comes to blemishes. This stuff sinks in pretty quick and doesn't leave my skin looking greasy but leaves a nice slight glow. Does not clog my pores as it seems to be close to the same oil as the skin produces. The thing I'm over the moon about is that I NO LONGER HAVE TO USE PONDS OR BABY OIL (!!!!) to get my waterproof makeup off! YAY! The only reason I kept using Ponds and baby oil was because no other natural makeup remover worked like it said it would on waterproof makeup. I wear L'Oreal Voluminous waterproof mascara and it's like cement in a good way. Only problem is that I need a mineral oil based makeup remover to get it off. Well lo and behold I read an article the other day that unrefined coconut oil gets waterproof makeup off. I didn't believe it since I'd read that various other oils removed waterproof makeup,like evoo and jojoba, and when I tried those they did nothing. I was over the moon that when I tried raw unrefined coconut oil that it completely removed my Voluminous mascara! I'm SO happy! I did not like that I had to use mineral oil and the Ponds cold cream that's filled with various chemicals to get my waterproof makeup off. Now I have a natural product that works just as well and as a bonus it's anti germ and extremely moisturizing and beneficial to the skin and,again, it doesn't break my moody skin out! So goodbye to Ponds and Johnson & Johnson baby oil! Also I have to mention that I always wash my face again after using makeup remover as my skin has to semi squeak or it'll break out. I also use unrefined coconut oil on my legs after I shave and it makes them baby soft and I don't get red or irritated bumps/skin. Please keep in mind that you want unrefined organic, and if you can find it raw, coconut oil because it's not stripped of it's beneficial properties. Did I mention it tastes great too? I make raw cookies using raw non sugared shredded coconut,coconut oil and cocoa powder with other ingredients to make cookies that are healthy and are a nice PMS cravings treat. Sometimes I add a teaspoon of it to my coffee to give it a hint of coconut flavor and richness from the coconut fat. Really a wonderful multi purpose product! I'd give it a 10 if I could!

on 11/4/2008 10:21:00 AM

I decided to purchase a tub of Virgin Coconut Oil from GNC after reading the wonderful reviews on MUA. I use this as a deep conditioning treatment on my color treated hair. My ends are smooth and shiny, and my hair has never looked better! I also use it on chapped lips, on my hands before bed as a night treatment, and as a makeup remover before washing my face. My eyelashes look so nice and conditioned now! It is a great versatile beauty product, and you can feel good about it bacause you know exactly what you are putting on your body and it's all natural!

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products