Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (All brands)

4.5

Cocos nucifera

on 1/14/2009 10:13:00 AM

AMAZING hair conditioner. It comes in solid form so you have to leave it out in your cupboard and warm it in hands to make it into it's oil form. I leave mine in overnight for deep conditioning and sometimes only put it in 10 minutes before my shower. LOVE how much it conditions without chemicals. I have easy-to-break hair and this has pretty much transformed my hair into soft and shiny locks. Don't waste money on Bumble and Bumble coconut mask (very expensive) when you can buy a HUGE tub of this on vitacost for around $5 plus shipping. Will always have on hand. No more conditioners (except maybe In-Depth from Sally's by Wella) for me!

on 1/10/2009 7:48:00 PM

Amazing! I bought mine in the Dominican Republic from a local when visiting a beautiful island. I've had it for a year and a half and still have some left! Because your relly do need just a little.
I use this as a body moisturizer after I get out of the shower.... or an hour before i take a shower i put it into my hair and then wash it out.
It happens to smel amazing!
Super cheap alternative to body moisturizers/cream.... its also great because you know its good for your skin considering its all pure and from mother nature herself =]]
Before I get into the shower I fill up my sink with hot water and let the bottle sit in it..... so it can melt.

on 1/7/2009 9:34:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

coconut oil is one of the best natural oil products out there. i have been using the oil cleansing method to cleanse off my makeup and its been a pretty good method for my combination skin type. the only thing i do afterwards is rinse off using African Black soap to make sure i have all the oil off and out of my pores!! Natures products are awesome. i have found grapeseed oil to be a GOD send also!!

on 1/4/2009 11:29:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Cool

I have oily skin so I would never use this on my face, but on my hair it's great. I bought a vat of it at Walmart for $9.98 which is not expensive considering the money I've blown on other hair treatments. Plus I can use this for cooking. I have butt-length hair that gets dry and frizzy, and this stuff is a god-send. I slather it into my hair and clamp it up for a while then take a shower and wash it out. Et voila: dream hair! Or sometime I just dab a little in my hands an run it through to leave in. Never would have tried it if it wasn't for MUA.

EDIT: I WOULD use this on my face, and I have, as a cleanser. I take a dallop and massage it into my skin for a couple of minutes, then take dry wash cloth and rub it off. You would not believe all the dirt it take out of your skin, disolving blackheads, etc. After I wipe it off, I wash the oily residue with my regular cleanser. AWESOME. And cheap.

on 1/4/2009 10:40:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Wow, I never realized there were so many other coconut oil fans out there! I got onto it after using the Pure Fiji range (they use coconut oil in many of their products) when I was honeymooning in Fiji. So I thought, "Forget all the cosmetic hoopla, why not go to the source?!"

I am a HUGE fan of this oil for moisturizing my body. In the past I would slather on a lotion and then look at my legs a few hours later only to find they looked dry. This isn't the case with coconut oil. My skin is smooth and supple all day long.

I live in Sydney, Australia and it's summer now and humid at times. I tend to use the oil after a morning shower and then put on shorts and a t-shirt, but if I'm going straight out and getting dressed 'properly' I have to hold off on the oil as it's a little slick when it's so hot. But then I just put it on at night.

I also buy the organic extra virgin version, it's about $12 for a 500g tub, which is much cheaper that other moisturizers that don't such a great job.

Plus, someone once said to me, "Imagine your skin is a thousand little mouths, would you eat the creams you put on your body?" Coconut oil makes me feel better about not putting toxic products on me.

I noticed under the sugar post that some people mix sugar with coconut oil and it makes a great face and body scrub - that's my next experiment.

I've now started to use it in my hair after reading other posts and I might give the teeth whitening a go also. Thanks to all for contributing and expanding my coconut oil obsession!

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Fantastic skin moisturizer.
i use the organic virgin oil (easy to find in health food stores)
makes skin soft and not greasy.

on 1/3/2009 9:20:00 PM

I like coconut oil for my hair as it makes it shiny and softer!
I've tried packing my hair with oil before shampooing but it takes time and lots of washing out, so I have a faster way to use this natural oil: I mix a teaspoon of oil to my normal dose of conditioner (about 3 teaspoon) and use it as a normal conditioner.
My hair is long, dry, fine, frizzy and breaks easily.
I've tried many things to make it softer and bouncy and to protect it from damage. I gave up dry-blowing and avoid all chemicals fixing products. I tried silicones for hair, but they made nothing but making my hair heavy without nourishing.
Lots of money wasted, no product endured re-buying.
This coconut oil+conditioner mix helps me detangle my hair while still wet, very patiently without tearing. It rinses well without leaving my hair greasy.
After drying my hair is soft till the ends and for a pair of days I can go on without knots.
I live in a big city where air is filled with pollution and tap water is hard. I think these played a major role in my hair (and skin) corrosion.
By nature my hair is wavy and frizzy anyway, it's naturally nourished till 10-15 cm from roots and it becomes drier and drier down to the ends.
Ends and outer layer are actually ROUGH and half-broken. After 3 days without washing and nourishing it becomes so tangled I have to wet it and put conditioner to detangle it curl by curl before shampooing.
The truth is I should cut off 20 cm.
The only thought almost makes me cry. I never go to a hairdresser, I actually hate hairdressers, their attitude, their cutting-off obsession, their hair-tearing manners for drying, their times, their noisy saloons and their prices!! I hate when they have no patience to gently comb my hairstrand by strand and they tear it instead. After all it's their job.
It only takes me 5 minutes to do it at home, you just need going with soft hand. They become nervous at my knots and say: "Your hair is "chemically treaten", which is not, just to charge me 6-7 euro for a small amount of cream.
So I insisted in keeping my hair longer possible, less layered possible and patiently cared about. It's almost waist-lenght now (if straighten), apparently not growing anymore.
I gave up SLS shampoo and it helped to stop scalp irritation, even if that comes mainly from smog. I always condition after washing using mainly Garnier Fructis or a Lavera.
When my hair is covered with conditioner and combed I pour about 1 teaspoon of coconout oil on the final 10 cm and I massage in. I especially use coconut oil in summer, while in winter I mostly prefer almond oil with identical use. After 1 minute or so I wash out and put in a towel.
I leave it to dry on its own or sometimes I briefly blow-dry
I use this method every 2 days, in order to keep my hair clean from pollution and don't let ends become entangled. In days between a shampoo and the next one I put the tiniest amount of coconut oil (almond oil) on my rough ends to keep them soft.

This method helped me to nourish and protect my poor hair.
I'm not sure this could work for heavy and oily hair.
I've used coconut oil on my face but I didn't like it because it didn't moisturise well and made me break out.
All in all is a very good product if you have dry skin/hair and it's completely natural and inexpensive!

on 1/3/2009 4:10:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Not Sure

I love coconut oil for my skin and hair. I alternate between using coconut and olive oil on my skin and its the most moisturized and soft its ever been in my life. Coconut oil also gives my hair great shine :)

on 1/1/2009 11:43:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Greatest moisturizer ever. It makes my skins incredibly soft. It reduces those little bumps I used to have. My skin doesn't react well to lotions with dyes and perfumes in this, but with coconut oil there is no irritation. Plus, this stuff smells great and you can eat it!

on 12/31/2008 10:34:00 AM

I use coconut oil for almost everything - love it for my hair (I use after the shower for my long, course, curly hair) and I literally get compliments everywhere I go.

Use it on my body after a shower (warning, you do need to let it soak in before dressing!) I shower at night, so not an issue.

Have those bumps on the back of your arms? Try skin brushing and then Coconut oil. In one week - GONE.

I love love love this product - used to use expensive hair products, now I use only coconut oil. It's the bomb!

Get EV coconut oil though even though it's most expensive.

Tip - put some in a small tupperware container (really small, like for sauces) put in microwave to melt - then it's solid. I use it like a bar of soap to moisturize my whole body - works so easy!!!

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products