October 1, 2014 | 979 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 5 of 5 on 8/19/2008 7:17:00 PM More reviews by crash247

I just tried this and I must say I LOVE it!!! I've tried so many conditioners,leave in treatments,other oils,etc.I have to say this is one of the best things I've ever tried.It smells wonderful,it's easy to rinse out,and my hair looks great.I have thick wavy hair that gets dry and looks it,but this made my hair so soft and gave it nice shine also.Will repurchase for sure.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/11/2008 1:53:00 PM More reviews by acc929

I'm kind of in love. I had been worried that using this would be a mistake and make my hair a greaseball, but it didn't. That said, this takes a certain amount of trial and error for everyone, since everyone's hair is different. The first time I tried it, I put the tub in a sinkful of warm water and waited for the oil to liquify. I know now that this isn't necessary. Take a lump out, but it in your hand, and you can actually *watch* it melt. Plus, continuously melting the same oil isn't good because it messes with the bonds that make the oil a solid at room temperature, plus, it's more time consuming than it needs to be. Also the first time I used it, I left this on for over two hours and then shamooed twice (I also applied it to my roots). Unless you have greasy hair you really don't need to shampoo more than once, just make sure the shampoo you use is clear or transparent, not the thick, white, creamy kind (leaves residue). Now what I do is a take a lump in my hand, melt it, apply it from the ears down (concentrating on ends), throw my hair up in a bun, and leave it like that either overnight or for a few hours. Then, I shampoo once and apply conditioner sparingly. This doesn't make my hair look that much better, but it's scientifically proven that coconut oil strengthens the hair shaft from the inside. My hair is shinier and stronger, so hopefully now it'll grow faster :) You can also use this as a serum, but use it REALLY sparingly unless your hair is course, because it can make ends look a little stringy. Overall, good for your hair's health. Def. repurchase =)

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/9/2008 1:08:00 AM More reviews by BluEyez1031

I use Spectrum Organic Coconut Oil from a jar, and I have to say, it has saved my skin! I was very skeptical of using an oil, but after suffering from acne for years and trying pretty much everything, I decided to give coconut oil a chance. I began putting a light layer on my face every night, and almost immediately my breakouts began clearing up and my skin tone became smoother and less red. I have now been doing this treatment at night for months, and it is a staple in my skincare routine. I don't care for the packaging, but with such amazing results, I can't complain!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2008 10:27:00 PM More reviews by scarletraine

I found out this secret from the makeupalley site and I LOVE it. I use it for everything!

I started using it on my hair. Let me tell you...I spend SO much money on my hair. One of the things that I have been spending my money on is Ojon's hair restorative treatment (which is basically palm oil). It worked well, but as other reviewers have mentioned, the smell isn't that pleasant. Coconut oil does the same thing, without the unpleasant odor. Not to mention the price. As coconut oil is a solid right out of the jar, I dig a small amount out with my finger and rub it around my hand to warm it and turn it into an oil (ironically, this is the exact SAME process that is done with Ojon's restorative treatment). I then use my fingers to work it through my lengths. I wouldn't recommends this as an every day treatment, as it tends to look a bit greasy, but I think some people manage to put it on their damaged ends and that would probably work out well. I just work it though my entire head and put on a bandanna and sleep on it. Works wonderfully. In the morning, I was out my hair and it is soft and silky.

Since that worked so well, I started using it as a moisturizer. I was skeptical about using it on my face because...well, it IS an oil. But in combination with my baking soda/Cetaphil cleanser and apple cider vinegar toner it works perfectly. Moisturizes perfectly without clogging my pores. As a bonus, it also helps take away the smell of the toner, as the vinegar leaves my skin smelling like a stinky foot. I, then, started using the oil all over my body. I have MANY different moisturizers. I had settled on using L'Occitane's shea butter body balm, which is 25% shea butter. I LOVE it, but I don't love paying $40 per jar. I love it so much that the expensive jar goes awfully fast. I use it after the shower and before bed. Although I still use the body balm after the shower (I like the feel of shea butter better for the day...on hot summer days, the slip that coconut oil leaves behind can be sort of uncomfortable), I have replaced my nighttime routine with coconut oil. Saves me money and I wake up feeling soft and so, so silky. I also use a small amount of it on my lips.

I love this stuff so much, I have little jars of it everywhere. My health food coop sells little spice jars that I find PERFECT for storing the oil. Remember, a little bit goes a LONG way...usually all I need is a pinch, depending on the area.

UPDATE :: I started to use coconut oil on my hair after the shower. I smoothed in a small amount of the oil onto my lengths while my hair was still DAMP. Then, as my hair air dried, it gave it a piece-y, luxurious look...great with my highlights. My hair is naturally wavy and it defrizzes and moisturizes my hair while making it look like I put expensive product in my hair in order to style it. And it is so, so soft.

I saw my hairdresser a few weeks after starting to use the oil on my hair. She is the ultimate skeptic. When I started to tell her about the coconut oil, she was immediately unconvinced...until she started styling my hair. As she started to flat iron my hair out, she was amazed by how manageable and soft my hair is - the true test of healthy hair. She has become a believer...and ran out to the store for some coconut oil.

22 out of 22 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/22/2008 10:55:00 PM More reviews by bludvls849

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Indians have been using coconut oil on their hair for ages - thankfully, this tradition has been passed on to me. I use it as a pre-wash conditioner and it transforms my hair's texture. It also does wonders for my scalp. awesome stuff.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/18/2008 1:39:00 AM More reviews by hell0kitty

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I LOVE COCONUT OIL! I CANNOT say enough about it! I reccommend it to everybody who wants smooth silky skin and hair and whatevers :) I use this almost DAILY, I can honestly say that I can't live without it! This handy dandy oil can literally (almost literally) be used for anything. Uses:
#1: I use this as a hair conditioner, it eliminates tangles, makes my hair soft and shiny, and its NATURAL! Whoa baby. Followed up with Giovanni Golden Wheat (deep cleanse) shampoo.
#2: I also use it to remove my eyeliner! It does a pretty amazing job!
#3: Oh my goodness. This makes my skin UBER soft, it's not even funny. You just massage it into your skin after opening up your pores or w/e and its PHENOMENAL. I am not overreacting.
#4: I also wash my face with this and its has LOVELY moisturizing powers, totally not an understatement. It doesnt make my face oily. I even follow up with moisturizer.
#5: I have cooked eggs with this (because the only thing I know how to make is eggs) and it works as well as any other oil! The only thing is, well at least for the CO i use, is that its organic and probably has better health benefits than your average cooking oil :D

So bottom line: GET SOME ;) Kinda expensive, which is a boo.. but you know, for something that will last about 2 years for so many uses (5 for me, and maybe more!), it's worth every penny.

P.S: The one I use is jarrow extra virgin organic coconut oil.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/6/2008 7:16:00 AM More reviews by swirlsschmurls

I use a cooking grade, random-brand type coconut oil, so I can't weigh in on the extra virgin vs. normal oil issue, but I've been using this as a leave-in hair treatment (I just need a smidge for my very short hair) and quite like it as an all-natural treatment...it does give texture without too much weight, which is very cool. It's become a staple for me though mostly for removing my eyeliner at night. This really does get every last trace off, I don't wake up with smudges the next day, and it doesn't irritate my sensitive eyes. The only reason it doesn't get a solid 5 is because I'm still waiting to see whether it'll make me breakout. Fingers crossed.
UPDATE: Doesn't break me out, and my eyelashes are looking better than ever, and falling way less. Couldn't ask for anything better. Also use it as a body oil and it makes my skin baby soft..I'm just not the hugest fan of the smell, but that's a small price to pay.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/15/2008 2:57:00 PM More reviews by TropicalyFrozen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

This is the best makeup remover I've ever used, it gets off everything and doesn't sting my eyes or irritate my skin. It is also awesome for a deep condition treatment for your hair. Once you use coconut oil for your makeup remover, you will never use any other makeup remover ever. Just rub some where you put makeup on and wipe off with tissue paper and then just go on with your regular facial routine.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/26/2008 1:12:00 AM More reviews by ItsADewsy308

I have been using the coconut version of MONOI TIARE TAHITI oil. While I have tried the vanilla scented oil, I find the coconut scented version is much more natural. I use this for EVERYTHING! It's a great winter moisturizer as it soothes dry chapped skin, but it absorbs quickly enough that you can use it in summer too! I use this on my entire body every night before I go to bed and awake with supple, smooth skin and just a hint of the coconut scent lingering. On Saturday night, I apply a small amount to the ends of my hair while my hair is dry and in the morning, VIOLA! smooth, shiny and healthy looking locks. It is way better than it's $50 cousin from Nars and it's only $6 to boot! I get it at myvitanet.com. They have a a variety of scents and they even have a tinted version for a slight shimmery tan! My HG moisturizer!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/24/2008 2:09:00 AM More reviews by mollybloom

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I'm going to tell you about something that is going to blow your mind. Bear with me.

I know how to use coconut oil to make your teeth very white. I mean whiter than any kind of dental procedure. You take a tablespoon of coconut oil, and swish it around your mouth for about 20 minutes each morning. Well, 5 minutes up to 20 if you can. I know, sounds weird, but it's an ancient Ayurvedic practice called oil pulling.

You will be shocked. Whiter teeth in one week. And, here's the big thing, coconut oil is antibacterial and antiviral, so anyone with receding gums or gum issues...well say buh bye to that. Your dental hygienist will ask you what the heck you are doing!!

Google "oil pulling" if you don't believe me. It's the bomb.

One more thing, this has been known to get rid of the bumps from "chicken skin" or also known as Keratosis Pilaris. It's one of the only things known to get rid of the rough skin out there.

Also, the oil is absorbed into your body sublingually, so you'll notice less scaly elbows and heels.

I know, you think I'm nuts. I am so not lying about this. Try it and let everyone know.

Molly