July 29, 2014 | 2156 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 5 of 5 on 5/26/2008 1:12:00 AM More reviews by ItsADewsy308

I have been using the coconut version of MONOI TIARE TAHITI oil. While I have tried the vanilla scented oil, I find the coconut scented version is much more natural. I use this for EVERYTHING! It's a great winter moisturizer as it soothes dry chapped skin, but it absorbs quickly enough that you can use it in summer too! I use this on my entire body every night before I go to bed and awake with supple, smooth skin and just a hint of the coconut scent lingering. On Saturday night, I apply a small amount to the ends of my hair while my hair is dry and in the morning, VIOLA! smooth, shiny and healthy looking locks. It is way better than it's $50 cousin from Nars and it's only $6 to boot! I get it at myvitanet.com. They have a a variety of scents and they even have a tinted version for a slight shimmery tan! My HG moisturizer!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/24/2008 2:09:00 AM More reviews by mollybloom

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I'm going to tell you about something that is going to blow your mind. Bear with me.

I know how to use coconut oil to make your teeth very white. I mean whiter than any kind of dental procedure. You take a tablespoon of coconut oil, and swish it around your mouth for about 20 minutes each morning. Well, 5 minutes up to 20 if you can. I know, sounds weird, but it's an ancient Ayurvedic practice called oil pulling.

You will be shocked. Whiter teeth in one week. And, here's the big thing, coconut oil is antibacterial and antiviral, so anyone with receding gums or gum issues...well say buh bye to that. Your dental hygienist will ask you what the heck you are doing!!

Google "oil pulling" if you don't believe me. It's the bomb.

One more thing, this has been known to get rid of the bumps from "chicken skin" or also known as Keratosis Pilaris. It's one of the only things known to get rid of the rough skin out there.

Also, the oil is absorbed into your body sublingually, so you'll notice less scaly elbows and heels.

I know, you think I'm nuts. I am so not lying about this. Try it and let everyone know.

Molly

179 out of 188 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/20/2008 9:53:00 AM More reviews by May_Bee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I use about a teaspoon on my hair, melting it in my hand before rubbing it through the ends and leaving in overnight (with a shower cap on. Very sexy.) I find that it washes out easily in the morning with just a mild shampoo, and leaves the ends of my hair much softer and less straw-like. I can't say that it looks amazingly different but it's great to be able to get a comb through it without snappage, even after I've been in the rain and wind. I use it once a week so my ginormous tub should last for years.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/29/2008 10:23:00 PM More reviews by wrinklefree

I love this for my hair. I have bleached/toned hair and I love it! I apply it to my ends only once a week. I've been using a natural boar brush to get small amounts up to my root area. (If I get to much on my roots, my hair will need 2 washings). My hair is so shiny and soft afterwards. It is so cheap and easy to get (Walmart). It is on my list of must haves for my hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/22/2008 7:09:00 AM More reviews by meepo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This, along with EVOO, is an HG item I cannot live without and that I use every day. I mainly use this as a leave-in serum, rubbing a drop or two between my palms and patting it through the ends and shafts of my hair. I've found that using a small amount of coconut oil and/or EVOO as an everyday leave-in serum and also using it as a weekly deep treatment has literally transformed the way my hair feels, and has completely eliminated the need for any excessive haircare products besides the basic shampoo and conditioner. I'm so happy that I save so much money and get such great results using this stuff.. and I would never have discovered it if it weren't for MUA. Thanks to all you lovely MUAers!!! <3

rated 4 of 5 on 4/19/2008 8:19:00 PM More reviews by Hey

I bought it for $1.70 at the store, and while it works great for the hair, I advise you not to use it on your skin.
I tried that, and believe me. You could bounce off those bubbles it made on my face.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/13/2008 9:22:00 AM More reviews by camilla8

Ok, I haven't used the EVCO yet, but I was desperate and bought the first thing I saw, got a HUGE tub at walmart. The solidification of it freaked me out at first, but it does melt really quick when you rub it in your hands. tried it as a makeup remover, it was a bust. Felt like I could never get it completely washed off and felt like it clogged my pores and didn't take all my makeup off. BUT...as a pre-shampoo hair treatment, this stuff rocks the house! I actually put a lot on, probably more than I should, I really grease it up. It takes about 2 shampoos to get it out, then I condition as usual but I probably don't need to do that. I am too lazy to do this on a daily or even weekly basis (ok not lazy, I'm just a mom!), but when I do this my hair feels so soft and silky and looks so healthy. Will defintely try to EVCO when I use this stuff up, probably buy it off amazon, looks like that is the cheapest price around for the best stuff. Thanks for the recommendation gals!!! Would NEVER have thought of doing this had I not read it here.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/10/2008 7:41:00 PM More reviews by KittyMeowMeow

Coconut oil is one of the best kept beauty secrets out there. I just stumbled on it when researching what to do for my dry hair on the internet because nothing else was working. A reputable scientific article (from the National Institutes of Health, I believe) stated that coconut oil is the only oil that is actually absorbed into your hair and will make it stronger. Imagine that! So I tried and I haven't been disappointed. Nothing, nothing works as well. And I've tried everything. I use it like an anti-frizz serum: melt small amounts in my hand and distribute all over towel dried hair. It will take some trial and error to find just the right amount for your hair. It's better to put too little then mist your hair down with water and add more if you need it. You will not be disappointed. And best of all, it's dirt cheap!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/7/2008 9:10:00 PM More reviews by sunshine880

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Coconut oil is my HG product. I adore this stuff and couldn't live without it. I have used it for several years now.

My hair is very long (almost to my waist). I use coconut oil on my hair almost every day. Sometimes I will put in my hair before I go to sleep and wash it out in the morning. Other times I will put it on for 15 minutes, blow dry my hair (so it becomes sort of a "hot oil" treatment) and then shampoo it out. It makes my hair so healthy and shiny, and is better than any hair conditioner on the market. People are always asking me how I keep my long hair so healthy (including my hairdresser!).

I also use this as a moisturizer, mainly on my face, neck and chest. It keeps my skin so hydrated and makes my skin glow. When I first started using coconut oil, I was freaked out at the thought of putting oil on my face, worried it would make me break out, but it never has. In fact, I have fewer breakouts since I began using coconut oil and stopped using chemical-laden moisturizers. I also believe it is keeping away wrinkles.

I typically use the Nutiva brand of virgin coconut oil, which is easily found in health food stores and even some grocery stores.

Although the coconut oil is solid below 75 degrees, I just scoop it out of the jar and it melts easily in my hands (I don't go through the extra step of heating up the jar so it liquifies since it melts so quickly with body heat).

I also cook with it. It's great in scrambled eggs (it is safe to use up to approximately 350 degrees). Although coconut oil is a saturated fat, it is healthy for you, loaded with lauric acid. It is cholesterol-free. A great book to read on the benefits of coconut oil is "The Coconut Oil Miracle" by Bruce Fife.

IMPORTANT - the best type of coconut oil is virgin, unprocessed coconut oil, which is not refined, deodorized or bleached. It will be a pure white color and smell of fresh coconuts. If you dislike the smell or taste of virgin coconut oil, the next best thing is expeller pressed coconut oil. It is refined so that there is no coconut taste or smell. However, make sure the refined coconut oil you buy is expeller-pressed and processed without chemicals (hexane) or solvents. I buy refined coconut oil for cooking from Wilderness Family Naturals or Tropical Traditions (they both have very informative websites). I would prefer to use virgin coconut oil for everything, but hubby hates the flavor of coconut in his food, so I have to buy the refined kind when I cook meals for the both of us. Refined coconut oil can be used at higher temperatures than the virgin kind.

15 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/7/2008 8:07:00 AM More reviews by labellavita123

God this stuff is amazing for the hair. It just soaks right in and energizes it, which is important for me, seeing as I live in an urban setting. All you have to do is put the jar in a bath of hot water for a bit, rub a small amount into your hands, apply to hair and leave be for an hour. Voila! Shiny, healthy hair is yours. LOVE IT!