October 25, 2014 | 1625 users online

Fragrances - Chanel - No.5

rated 1 of 5 on 11/16/2004 5:00:00 PM More reviews by liltweekstar

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

my mom wears this and it smells awful! it's way too strong even with one spritz but it seemed as if my mom overdosed on it. -_-

rated 4 of 5 on 11/16/2004 2:47:00 AM More reviews by Lotos

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

My relation with this fragrance is very ambivalent. When I smell it on someone else I always like it soooo much! It is sophisticated and natural at once.
The first two hours after the application I cannot stand it when sniffing too near on my wrist. It seems to me too harsh and not soft and powdery at all. I really need to smell my wrist from a certain distance to like it. But after some hours the base of this fragrance comes out and then.... ooh... it is just everthing that a fragrance should be: light, soft, subtle, warm but not too sweet or too powdery. Everything is in perfekt harmony.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/15/2004 12:15:00 PM More reviews by lanilove

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Chanel no.5 what a dissapointment. I have to wonder if the rave reviews on this reflect more a passion for anything Chanel than this perfume. Maybe it is my chemistry--but "old lady" doesn't even beging to cover it. Moth balls, gaggy is more like it. Never again!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/11/2004 10:16:00 PM More reviews by SaucyMinx

Simply elegant and classic.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/11/2004 9:07:00 AM More reviews by gleam

A co-worker had a bottle of Chanel no.5 EDT in her bag so I sprayed a little on my wrist to test it on me .. and I would like to emphasize "a little". Male co-worker then openened the window and asked "Who died in here?!" The only positive thing about this was the hilarious expression on his face :-) Too strong and nauseous and old ladyish on me.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/10/2004 10:45:00 AM More reviews by ECMac25

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I know this is touted as the universal fragrance for women, but it just doesn't agree with my skin chemistry. On initial application, the scent is so strong to me that it makes me want to take a step back from myself. Lasting power of this is terrific, however the entire drydown just screams OLD to me....I picture a kind of sophisticated lady who wears fur and big baubles of jewelry to have this as her signature fragrance instead. I don't feel like myself when I have this on.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/5/2004 1:40:00 PM More reviews by Satinea

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

My aim in life as far as my pefume choices go is to smell like a Parisian. Today I tried a squirt of Chanel No.5 on the back of my hand in my local Department Store. When I first tried this about 5 months ago I HATED IT and could not see at all why people raved on about it. The story goes that Coco Chanel was tucked up in bed with the flu when she made the decision that Chanel No. 5 was "Ca va, ca va !!!" Well, I thought, makes sense!!! She must have been REALLY ill when she decided on this one!!! But today I tried it again, I left it for a while, I let it breathe, and you know what??? It's actually quite nice. Not my favourite perfume, but certainly not as bad as I originally thought. This is a very strong and heady perfume, so while it's expensive, a bottle would probably last you absolutely ages. The bottle itself is very chic and classy, and Diana Vreeland was right when she said that "everybody - husbands, beaus, taxi drivers, everybody loves it" A smell test around the office where I work came back with 100% positive feedback (including one from a Man who's Wife WORKS for Chanel !!!) The tip that I will give is the same as what one Woman in my office did say to me, which was that you definately have to be a Woman to wear this and pull it off - not a little Girl. At 24, she felt that, while it was a very nice scent, and while it smelt very nice on me, Chanel No. 5 was a bit "mature" for me, and that I should wait until I am older to wear it. And that is what I feel I am going to do - wait until I am older and then gradually change from my beloved Champs Elysees by Guerlain to Chanel No. 5 (or at least buy a bottle and save it for a night when I want to be seductive, sexy and really knock his socks off !!!) To me, it is a case of two worlds: Day and Night. While Champs Elysees is the face of young, youthful daytime Paris, full of sparkling vigour, Chanel No. 5 is the classic old school night time Paris of those old heady, black and white romantic movies, the love of which will last a lifetime...

UPDATE: 06/14/05: This perfume really has grown on me and I love it, but I got the wierdest reaction when I went to my local CHANEL counter to stock up and told the salesgirl (who was French and about my age in her 20's) that it was one of my favourite scents. "I DON'T BELIEVE YOU!" Excuse me??? I thought Chanel No. 5 was a timeless, ageless classic. Has she also fallen into the trap that it should only be worn by a Granny in tweed or pink crimpoline with a powder puff face and blue eyeshadow? Shame on her...
PS: LOVING the new Nicole Kidman ads. BAZ, you've done a beautiful job my friend. The most magical advert ever. The best two minutes on television...

rated 1 of 5 on 11/4/2004 4:29:00 PM More reviews by Bagbabe53

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Sorry, but my body chemistry does not like this classic! When I wear it, I smell like vinegar! Give me my Coco instead!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/31/2004 6:35:00 PM More reviews by PurpleFairy

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

OH MY! I am in love! I finally got to purchase this fragrance, I got the perfume, not the EDP or EDT. And it is the most warm inviting fragrance that I have ever smelled. I love this stuff.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/25/2004 4:00:00 PM More reviews by Tanjas

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This smells cheap and old-ladysh to me. Would never buy it!