October 1, 2014 | 1599 users online

Liquid - Chanel - Vitalumiere Aqua Ultra-Light Skin Perfecting Makeup SPF 15

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/1/2011 4:27:00 PM More reviews by Katie75007

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This foundation is incredible -- but I realized (after assuming that BR10 would be a match -- and then subsequently trying B10) that I have no shade match, as is the case with most Chanel foundations, save a few. The color matching issue notwithstanding, my original rave review is as follows:

Despite the "aqua" in its name, this is actually a matte finish foundation -- which is not drying or cakey in the least. I was surprised, too, that the matte finish lasted ALL day -- I normally need a quick touch up or two in the t-zone, but this truly kept my skin matte. I would say that the coverage is light to medium. I would definitely repurchase this -- it's amazing! Be sure to shake well, though -- while it appears watery, if you shake it sufficiently before squeezing, it actually has a gel-like consistency. Don't be afraid to try this if you don't normally go for matte foundations, or even if you have dry skin. It's lovely!

For reference, my skin is NW5-10 / NARS Siberia.

**** UPDATE: As much as I loved this, I noticed that BR10 is actually *way* too dark for me -- by a long shot :(. In daylight, it looks peachy and mismatched, even when blended along my jawline -- if I step back, my face is an entirely different color than the rest of me. I even went back and looked at B10, thinking it would be less peachy, but it was also too dark. I'm so sad!! I wish it came two shades lighter :(.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/28/2011 11:17:00 PM More reviews by ahhhttack

This is a fabulous light coverage foundation, one step up from a tinted moisturizer coverage wise, and way more buildable than a TM. Though it isn't moisturizing, I much rather use a good moisturizer first and then this on top to get better coverage. My favorite part about Vitalumiere Aqua is its wear time, it lasts literally all day for me (normal/dry). This is going to be fabulous for the summer, when I like to go light on foundation but tend to sweat off anything that has too much slip to it. This foundation has a natural soft matte finish. I apply it with my fingers after shaking the bottle 3-5 times. I use 2 tiny dollops for my entire face, so the bottle will last a good amount of time. It's $45/1oz which is on par with my other high end foundations. The only negative I can think to say about it is it doesn't have lighter shade options. I'm NC15/20 and I use the palest warm shade, Beige Pastel (B10). I think anyone on the lighter side of NC20 and under should go with B10, and anyone on the darker side of NC20 to NC25 should go with B20. I added to the photos comparisons I did with my other foundations/concealers: BB Skin in Warm Ivory, BB Natural Finish in Sand, MUFE HD in 117, and MAC Pro Longwear Concealer in NC15. You can see how anyone under NC15 will have an issue matching this foundation. I will say though that since it's sheer the shades do have some wiggle room, much more than an opaque foundation would. Finally, when choosing your shade, I'd recommend waiting five or so minutes before committing, as they tend to dry down a smidge darker than when first applied. Overall, this is my HG light coverage foundation, and will definitely buy again (don't you dare d/c this Chanel!).

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/28/2011 8:56:00 PM More reviews by Shadowline

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This is very lovely new addition to the Chanel line. I was surprised to find this more matte in finish but it doesn't dull my dry skin at all. I bought the palest in the Rose line and I think true NW15s will be pleased with the color match.

The liquid itself is surprisingly thin but the coverage is truly medium and feels quite weightless. I like the packaging for travel and prefer it without a pump. One mark off because of the very, very strong fragrance that didn't on me for several hours. It was rather like perfuming my face.

I'll write more detail when I've worn it for a full week.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/25/2011 2:53:00 PM More reviews by louvy0401

After trying Bobbi Brown Skin foundation, Maybelline Age Rewind (the one with a sponge top), Maxfactor Xperience and Etude House BB cream and Chanel Matt Lumiere, this is definitely my HG foundation!For your reference I am NC20 - 25. Bobbi Brown Skin Warm Beige (although i found it a tad too yellow for me). The colour i bought for this is B20, which is the one I tried on a sample I've got from Glamour mag. I tried the tester and I knew straight away that I HAD to get this in full size. I've never had a foundation that just melts in my skin, so easy to apply with fingers. The colour match is perfect and unlike any other foundations I've, this doesnt make my skin oily over time and I am normally combo with oily T-zone. Yes you have to shake this, just like the Too faced eyeshadow primer I have, i just see it as a daily (only) exercise for my arm. Coverage is not perfect as it is light but for me it's fine, maybe not when I am older or for special occasions but definitely a everyday foundation. I hope this will last me for a while as it is not cheap but then it's Chanel :)

rated 5 of 5 on 2/25/2011 2:31:00 PM More reviews by victoriatallen

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Grey, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have been wearing Chanel's Lift Lumiere foundation for years and decided to try the new Vitalumiere Aqua. It is terrific! It goes on easily and smoothly; you barely know that you have put on foundation. The coverage is light, but effective and lasts all day. I bought the BR10 shade, which is so perfect that it looks like my natural skin, only better. A good product.

14 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/23/2011 11:38:00 PM More reviews by strix

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have the Color BR10, which is the lightest shade and has a rosy undertone (versus the B line which is more of a straight beige)

I have to admit, my opinion of this is a bit skewed simply because the color matches my skin tone better than any other foundation I've ever used. I think how well a foundation matches your skin is probably the strongest determining factor in whether or not you will like it. So I liked it immediately based on that alone. I never understood how makeup artists said that when you swipe a foundation on your face, it will look almost invisible if it is the right color-- I had never had this experience until now and boy is it fantastic!

Ok, so perfect color match aside, how does it perform? Well, I personally don't like heavy foundations but I find tinted moisturizers to be invisible. This foundation is somewhere in between a tinted moisturizer and a foundation, which is awesome. Covers the rosiness of my cheeks and tones down blemishes, but isn't cakey or unnatural. I also love that it has SPF 15-- not many foundations come with sun protection. Now I don't have to worry about layering sunscreen under my foundation unless I want a higher SPF. Another problem I've often had with tinted moisturizers is that they are greasy and streaky on my somewhat oily skin. Vitalumiere Aqua isn't streaky or greasy-- it is matte but natural looking. However, it also does not emphasize the dry areas on my face.

Another thing I love about this foundation is that it is meant to be applied with fingers. I've never liked using a brush because I feel like it wastes product that gets soaked into the bristles.

I guess my only complaint is that the color line isn't very broad so if you have a darker or lighter skin tone, you may find that there is not a match for you. If you are going to have a lot of photos taken, I'd recommend a heavier foundation, but for everyday this is excellent.

It is in a sturdy lightweight plastic bottle. Unlike my Nars Sheer Glow in the glass bottle, this is not heavy or breakable and very easy to travel with. When you unscrew the top, it has a tiny hole--just squeeze the bottle and a little bit comes out. Much much easier to dispense than other foundations. Ones with a pump tend to dispense too much, and ones without a pump are just messy. This is a happy medium for me.

Bottom Line: Perfect lightweight foundation-- easy-to-use and portable packaging, sun protection, looks natural, even coverage. This is my new Holy Grail foundation!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/23/2011 11:01:00 AM More reviews by MariellaFromBe

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Nars SG has been my HG for over a year and I really didn't think I'd find another foundation that I'd like as much or even more. Well this might be it!

For reference, I'm NC15 (wear Gobi in SG), normal to combination with dryer zones and sometimes oily T-zone. I wear B10 in Vitalumiere Aqua.

PROS:
-Packaging: a very compact, light plastic bottle with a nose to pour the product; that's so much better than the heavy glass packaging Chanel usually uses!
-The product feels very light on the skin yet gives medium coverage and evens out the skintone so well! It has a semi-matte finish and for once, I do think that it does look like skin, but better skin!
-It smells very nice, which also is unusal for Chanel foundations IMO. Also the smell is light and disappears quickly.
-It lasts extremely well on me and I don't even powder it - easily 8 hours without getting shiny, I wasn't expecting it and am really impressed!

CONS:
- Although the shade selection includes warm (B) and cool (BR) shades, most retailers/countries don't stock the whole range and being able to find a match can be tricky.
-It's not cheap. But in my mind it's worth it, really.

Little trick: you need to shake the bottle REALLY WELL before pouring the product out, or you'll get some kind of greasy water. This is normal, but shaking is thus mandatory.

Side note: I was expecting this to be very dewy, like Mac F&B, because of the "Aqua" name. It's not the case so if what you want is a dewy and/or moisturizing foundation, the regular Vitalumiere might be better for you.
Other than that I recommend this 100%!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/20/2011 4:58:00 PM More reviews by sabzter

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I just purchased this foundation yesterday. I'm not really sure about it yet, but will write a full review after having tried it for about a month or so. I'm not sure if this is the case because I haven't checked out other department stores, but Neiman Marcus MAY be the exclusive retailer of Chanel's VA for the time being. I'm from MI and purchased this at Somerset's Neiman Marcus (which is a pretty fancy/expensive mall). So for those wondering where they may be able to purchase it, try out Neiman or other dept. stores like Saks or Bloomingdale's. Currently, you won't be able to purchase this online, as it's not even listed on any of the online dept. stores. I just ran across it by chance. Judging by the number of reviews, I wasn't sure if people knew it was already being sold in the U.S.
**EDIT** I know I said I'd wait to review this, but here I go. VA is a beautiful foundation and it really does look like a second "skin." It's more on the matte side than luminous or dewy but it is also extremely natural. It smells intoxicating. I put it on (1 layer) with my MAC 109 and I couldn't even tell that I had it on. All the pluses I side, I believe I will be the first to state sadly that this foundation broke me out after day 1. I had one tiny zit so I didn't want to believe that it was the VA. But then the next day when I wore it, I had 2 more!!! I really wanted to fall in love with this foundation since I waited so long to purchase it, but it will be going back to Chanel. I am going to stick to MAC f & b because it has a similar (slightly dewier) finish without the breakouts (even though it has oil?...how weird is that?).

rated 5 of 5 on 2/19/2011 3:15:00 PM More reviews by karafraser

Love, love, love this foundation, i cannot rave about it enough!!

I was not a huge fan of the original vitalumiere. I loved the way it made my skin looked but i hated the (in my opinion) overly shiny finish and the terrible lasting power. This foundation solves both of these problems and is basically everything that i hoped the original vitalumiere would be.

I have this in Beige Tendre and i am around NC20 in MAC for reference. This is packaged in a plastic bottle (rather than the normal glass one), i know some people don't like this but personally i quite like the packaging. It is small and compact and i can just throw it in to my bag without worrying about the lid coming off and making a mess.

This foundation is water based so it is best to shake well before you apply it or it comes out quite watery. It is worth pointing out that despite it being called Vitalumiere Aqua it is not water proof (as i originally assumed!). I use either a brush or my fingers to apply this and it goes on equally well with both. The MUA at the Chanel counter told me that this is the first foundation that they actually advise people to apply with their fingers.

Now this is definitely a light coverage foundation so it may not be for you if you need a good level of coverage. When i put it on i think it is difficult to tell that i am wearing foundation, however, it makes my skin look absolutely beautiful, radiant and flawless and best of all there is none of the shiny finish that you get with Vitalumiere. The finish of this foundation is quite hard to describe, it is almost matt but with a lovely "glow". I don't have perfect skin but i find that if i use this all over and use Laura Mercier Secret Camoflage on areas that i need coverage my skin looks perfect and it is impossible to tell that i am wearing any make up.

I don't think it is necessary to powder over this foundation although i normally do as i work quite long hours and like my make up to last. In terms of staying power this foundation surprised me. It lasts all day. I apply it around 7am and it is still in place at 5pm. It has also survived trips to the gym.

I could rave about this all day. I will repurchase this again and again. Chanel, please please do not ever discontinue this or mess with the formulation as it is absolutely perfect!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 2/17/2011 1:42:00 PM More reviews by summer028

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I reveiced a little sample of this and really was very excited to try it. But I have to say I wasn't very impressed.
I found it a little hard to blend as it was very watery and 'stained' my skin. I tried to blend it in my neck, but it looked patchy and somehow felt dry. It's hard to describe, but it just didn't glide on smoothly.
Once I had it on my skin it looked good. But my skin is not bad in the first place and somehow it just did not add anything to it. No glow, no refined skin..
After a few hours I saw nothing of it on my skin anymore.
It wasn't bad, but not worth the money.