September 2, 2014 | 928 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Clarisonic - Mia

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/18/2010 3:11:00 PM More reviews by nionio

Age: Unknown Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

It's been a month since I got my Mia. Let me tell you what a big difference it's been for me. I've moved down from full coverage foundation, to medium, to now I'm using TM. I had a lot of pigmentation / scars left over from breakout. Especially when it's the "time of the month", I'd get 2 or 3 zits. The cycle keeps going and going, so I've never had clear skin. This is the main reason why I invested in Clarisonic at first. It really fades away the pigmentation / scars. I'm totally impressed with the results. Moreover, it's only been a month. I've tried a lot of other products that claim to reduce spots, scaring, etc etc; they never worked. I wish I've invested in Clarisonic sooner than wasting my money on the so-call serums out there that does nothing.

On the side, my skin's been glowing. It's really got this radiant look, that I've only DREAMED to have, but never had. My complexion really brightened up. Now, I use a TM to just balance out my skin tone, and show off my radiant skin. =) I'm using a bit of concealer to cover up what's necessary. However, at this rate, I don't think I'll be needing my concealer much longer!

Overall: This investment is totally worth it. You buy this for a one time deal, and it'll last you for years. Personally, I don't have to worry about spending money every 2 months to purchase gimmicky serums / treatments that does NOT work. Down the line, I'll actually be saving money from unnecessary purchase, PLUS this amazing result that you'll get.

Usage: I've only been using this every 2~3 days, and at night only. For reference, I have sensitive skin, break out easily, dry on cheeks, but very oily on forehead and nose. Hope this helps. =)

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/16/2010 6:20:00 PM More reviews by dancer156

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I am so pleased that I finally purchased this product!! I ordered mine directly from the Clarisonic website, as I wanted to have the 30-day return policy, 1 year warranty, and free personal engraving that they offered for the Mia! :) There are other sites where you may be able to find the Mia for a discounted price, but if you want to have the return policy (if this is your first time purchasing the Mia and you're not sure), make sure the site is an authorized retailer).
I have been using my Mia for almost 4 months, and thought now would be a good time to write a review.
For some reason, the past year or so my skin has been getting progressively worse (I blame it on hormones). I used to only get a pimple every week or two, and suddenly I was getting one or two a day. With time, my face accumulated acne scars and discoloration. Just looking at my face made me want to cry!!! I did a ton of research on this product (reading reviews from many different sites), and finally decided it was worth a shot (especially since Clarisonic has a wonderful return-policy).
I was terrified to use it at first, particularly after reading that some people experienced increased breakouts the first few weeks of use. I made sure to exfoliate my skin well and use a clay mask a week before I started using the Clarisonic (to bring as many impurities as possible to the surface). I never experienced the dreaded "purging" process while using the Mia, and I believe this preparation helped.
With several days of use, I noticed an immediate difference on the raised bumps on my cheeks. The patches were much more smooth in appearance, and no longer raised (hence, I could cover them much more easily with makeup). With several weeks of use, I noticed the acne scars and areas of discoloration were beginning to fade. With several months of use, I noticed the pores around my nose and cheeks were shrinking. My face also produced much less oil throughout the day. While I still get acne, I have noticed it is much less frequent in occurance, and those pimples that do happen to come to the surface are quickly reduced from the gentle exfoliation this product gives. My skin still doesn't look as good as it did a few years ago, but it is MUCH improved with the use of this product-- particularly the texture.
It is important to realize that this product is not meant to remove makeup, it is more meant to be an exfoliator to remove the dead skin cells on the surface. The routine I have found to work the best is to gently remove my eye and facial makeup with a washcloth. I then wet my face and the brush head, and apply my facewash to both my face and the brush head. To ensure all the residue is removed off the brush head, when I am finished using it, I apply a small bit of my facial wash to the bristles and gently rub the bristles while running water over it. I then flip the brush over (so the bristles are pointing downward) and gently blot the bristles with a washcloth to ensure all the water has dripped out. I then turn it back over and let it air-dry overnight (without the cap on). In the morning, the brush is completely dry.
I have very dry skin in the winter that flakes easily, so I made sure to purchase the Delicate brush head, as I read this is best for very sensitive skin. I was a bit surprised when I first used it, as I expected it to actually feel softer against my skin. I tried using it twice a day (morning and night), but found this to be too much for my skin (it started becoming "scaly" in appearance). Instead, I found the best routine for my skin type was to use it only at night for only one cycle (1 minute) over my entire face, making sure not to press hard. Immediately afterward, I apply a hydrosol toner and good moisturizer. In the summertime when my skin is more oily, I will try using this morning and night.
I am not sure how this product will work for those with Rosacea. In my opinion, even the delicate brush head may be too much for those with this issue. My mom has Rosacea, and this irritated her skin a bit.
The facial products that work best for my skin type (and with the Mia) is Face Naturals (their Purify line for acne-prone skin).
I highly recommend the Clarisonic Mia for most skin types, particularly those with raised bumps, discoloration, and acne. It doesn't hurt to give it a try, as the Clarisonic website (and other authorized retailers) offers a 30-day return policy. Good Luck!!! :)

11 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/14/2010 1:33:00 PM More reviews by juniebell

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I've only used mine twice now, so I know it may not seem like a fair review, but i have to throw my two cents in on this one. I have VERY oily skin, with HUGE pores and recently diagnosed with sebaceous hyperplasia. I swear after using it only twice, last night and this morning, the bumps from the hyperplasia are smaller! I have tried everything on these and they have never budged, so I am thrilled.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/13/2010 8:17:00 PM More reviews by MsLove

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

This product works wonderfully. Know it sounds like hype, but it does everything it says it will do. You just have to be CONSISTENT with using it for it to work. I bought this about 2 years ago, but never used it consistently because everytime I would "purge" I would stop using it. Finally, I pulled it out of the drawer again and starting cleansing with it. The purging didnt last long. It was only 1 or 2 zits here or there - my now, near the side of my hairline, my chin. Then afterwards - voila. My skin looked like it had a glow, it felt very soft, and now I feel like my skin isnt clean unless I use this. If you have a Sonicare toothbrush, you would understand - once you go for a professional cleansing, its hard to go back. Same with this cleansing tool for your face. Great investment.

Oh, and you can buy the brusheads pretty cheap on eBay.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/13/2010 3:42:00 PM More reviews by sheisontherun

So I purchased this 6 months ago and have used it pretty much daily. I think it's fantastic. I have sensitive skin that needs to be exfoliated regularly in order to look nice. This fits the bill - it exfoliates extremely well without irritation (I just use the sensitive brush head, too, not even the delicate). It's so easy to use, to charge, and to change the brush heads when needed. I use a regular cleanser with it (Purpose or Cetaphil) - no need for anything fancy when this does all of the work. I was skeptical at first about the price, but in the end, I'm glad I got this.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/12/2010 8:32:00 PM More reviews by msl2147

i went to ulta with my best friend when i came across this product, i talked to the lady who was working there i was convinced. i do have acne prone skin and a lot of scaring on the lower side of my cheeks. i have been using this product for almost 1.5-2 weeks and all i can say is it is THE GREATEST THING INVENTED IN AMERICA!!!!

i will give a more detailed update in a month to see what it really does to my skin but so far its fabulous. <3

rated 5 of 5 on 12/10/2010 10:26:00 PM More reviews by djxt

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

LOVE! Ive owned mine for a couple of months now. My skin has never been this soft or clear! Buying my mom one for Christmas. Hopefully she will love it as much as me... Also, I really like pairing this with Philosophy's Purity. The two seem to be made for each other...

rated 4 of 5 on 12/9/2010 9:09:00 PM More reviews by volgna

Thank-you to everyone who wrote a review on this wonderful product and convinced me to buy it! If you have acne or uneven skintone, this is an amazing product. Not sure if it would do anything for you if you already have really nice skin (lucky you!).

In just 2 weeks, there are two things that have changed my skin from pretty awful to quite nice and quite lovely--even tone, no new acne (huge feat after suffering for almost 20 years!!) and much less oily.

Those two things are the Clarisonic and Extra Virgin Coconut Oil. I use the Clarisonic morning and night using Cetaphil cleanser and then I rub a tiny bit of coconut oil in my palms and gently pat it into my skin until it is soaked in.

If only this had been around years ago when I suffered horrifically low self-esteem in high school and university.

After reading this information, it makes sense that the clarisonic works:

"In normal functioning skin, excess dead skin cells are constantly being sloughed away naturally. In acne-prone skin, dead cells remain stuck on the skin's surface and within the follicle, creating a clog (impaction). This plug of cellular debris and excess oil forms a blackhead or, if bacteria invade, an inflamed blemish."

I started using the coconut oil after reading about a study involving human breast milk and acne--seems they both have a compound, lauric acid, that helps improve acne. I opted to use the coconut rather than the breast milk on my skin :)

I would absolutely recommend this for those with acne-prone skin. Will update in a few months time, or sooner if this happens to stop working for me (I can't imagine it would though).

UPDATE: Ugh! It really pains me to write this update, but the Clarisonic did stop working for me. I also suffer with some facial eczema and in the end, after weeks of use, it did seem to make this a lot worse. I think that if I just had acne this would have continued working for me, but with the eczema it seems to really aggravate it. I'm now just cleansing my face every night with a honey mask which really calmed my skin down. Sadly, I think I won't be able to continue with the Clarisonic due to the complexity of my skin issues.

PS. I'm still using the Virgin Coconut Oil and love it! It is the one thing that has consistently helped my skin improve over time.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/8/2010 4:46:00 PM More reviews by bellydancer

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I had a chronically clogged pore on my cheek-- looked like a little black freckle. I tried EVERYTHING to get rid of it. BHAs, scrubs, everything I could think of. Recently bought a Clarisonic and have been using it for several weeks-- about three weeks-- and that pore has been shrinking daily. In fact, it may be gone. The black is gone and the pore has shrunken considerably. Honestly, it was there for a YEAR or more and now it is finally gone! Hooray for Clarisonic!!! It has worked on the smattering of blackheads on my nose as well. And my skin is as smooth as a baby's butt. Majorly exfoliated. I just use the sensitive skin brush that came with the Clarisonic. I also used the Clarisonic cleanser that came with my Mia. I'll be replacing it, now that it's about gone, with something from the drugstore. I got the Mia from Sephora during the Friends & Family sale-- so I got about a $20.00 discount. I'm very pleased with my purchase and would recommend the Mia.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/7/2010 10:45:00 PM More reviews by megathon

I broke down and bought this because I was at a breaking point with my skin. I have been dealing with acne for over ten years now, and have tried almost everything to get rid of it, to no avail. I was hesitant to spend as much as I did on this, and skeptical of whether or not it would work for me.
I've been using it for 2 months now, and while it hasn't cleared up my acne, it has otherwise changed my skin completely, and I couldn't be happier with my investment.
Almost immediately after I started using it, I noticed that my T-zone, which is usually extremely oily, was slightly less oily. The difference here hasn't been dramatic, but it's definitely noticeable, and I'm happy with it.
It's winter, and I live in New York, so my skin tends to get dry and flaky. On top of that, I am using the Clinique 3-Step Acne Solutions System, which is notoriously drying. Since I've started using this, I have experienced only minor dryness and NO flakiness at all. I could skip moisturizer altogether if I wanted to (I don't, but I could), and my skin would still be flake-free because of this.
Two months ago, I had a lot of blackheads and whiteheads. My whiteheads have disappeared completely, and while this hasn't made the pre-existing blackheads disappear, very few new ones have come up since I started using this. As a result, my skin feels smoother and softer in general.
While I still do break out, my blemishes are smaller than they used to be, and they heal about twice as quickly as they did before. I hadn't expected that at all. Also, I have discoloration from acne scars on my face, and this has helped to minimize their appearance immensely. So, in that way, this is great for people with acne-prone skin.

Notably, I did break out horribly within the first 1-4 weeks of using this. While it was unpleasant, I expected it to happen, and my skin has calmed down since.

I've read many other reviews on this product that talk about pores shrinking, lotions sinking into the skin easier, make-up lasting longer, and skin that glows. I haven't experienced these things at all, but given all of the other things that this has done for my skin, I think that this is a great product, regardless.
Needless to say, I would definitely make this investment again if I needed to. I absolutely love it.