Clarisonic Mia

4.2

Plastic

on 3/8/2011 7:02:00 PM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Like so many others, for ages, I was on the fence about investing in a Clarisonic. I was just not convinced that it could possibly be worth the money, but all of the glowing reviews made me curious. After going back and forth for months, I finally decided to buy a Mia. I had reservations, since the Mia has only one speed, and my skin tends to be sensitive and dry (I use Retin-A) -- but after reading reviews from others with these issues, I decided to give it a try. My only regret is that I waited for so long!!

As background info: my skin is not problem skin. I did not have acne or breakouts in my teens and even for most of my twenties other than the occasional pimple. If I break out (which I do, from time to time), it tends to be in the form of a few blemishes, restricted to my chin area. I also had bumps (clogged pores?) along my chin that no amount of resurfacing cleanser / mask / Retin-A could eradicate.

From the first time I used it, the Clarisonic cleaned my skin in a way no other method ever has -- I realize there are reviews stating that a washcloth and/or exfoliants do the same job, but I do not see how this is possible. I started using the Mia twice a day, which did prove to be a bit irritating -- once a day is better for me (I might invest in the delicate brush to see if I can use it twice a day).

I saw a change in my skin immediately -- it was much smoother, and the bumpy clogged pores I had on my chin began to disappear. My makeup even looks different -- I need less -- and it goes on so much more smoothly.
My co-worker even asked if I was using anything different! Honestly, between this and the REN Glycolactic Mask, I feel like I'm looking at my 23-year old skin again (really).

I have been using the Mia for about 3 weeks now, and I hope that these results stay consistent. I could not be happier that I invested in this. It didn't cause any breakouts, but after two weeks of using it twice a day, my skin did become a bit irritated. Once I reduced the usage to once a day, the irritation subsided. Bottom line: SO impressed; I love it.

UPDATE 6/2011: I have now been using the Mia for four months, and, if anything, my skin has improved tenfold. I really think it's because it cleans so well, everything else I use is rendered more effective. It's smooth and rarely breaks out at all anymore, even during that time of the month. I'm definitely not sorry that I invested in this!

on 3/8/2011 4:19:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This brush does what it says on the box. It cleans really well. To be honest, I probably didn't need this. I have fairly good skin; I never get spots, and the only blemishes I get are those sebaceous 'balls' under the skin, that don't surface (but don't do much else either - just forms a small bump) that I get frustrated with, and therefore pick at. I also only wear eye make-up.
So I obviously wasn't massively impressed on the first wash, as many have commented here. But my skin definitely felt very clean.
It's been about a month now, and now I can tell the difference. The texture of my skin is what has most improved. It's much smoother and looks very even. It feels like the clarisonic has 'polished' my skin! The bumps also haven't formed since I've started using this. It makes dry patches go away and seems to somehow make the pores on my inner cheeks near invisible. I will put it to the test this summer, when the humidity and the heat start to take it's toll on my skin.
Although I probably didn't *need* this, I do really like it. It feels like a treat every time I use it! I am hoping that good skincare started when I am young (I'm 21) will head off any signs of ageing and hopefully stop me picking at those pesky bumps!
I do hope it doesn't break, because it costs an arm and a leg, but if it does, I would buy again. Not a necessity, but lovely to have.

on 3/7/2011 10:19:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

This product really does not work on sensitive skin. I wanted it to work and only used it twice a week with the gentle brush but still it caused a lot of irritation on my skin. I had to return it. I would suggest this for resisitant skin but if you have sensitive skin I would avoid it like crazy!

on 3/4/2011 4:34:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

I have sensitive ACNE prone skin (MA won't let me update the info now). I've been using the Mia everynight for 3 months now. I'm giving it a 1 because it hasn't done much for my skin. My acne has been the same (mostly on my cheeks, though this month also my forhead...fun!) It didn't decrease pore size at all or do a good job removing blackheads(on my cheeks). It is a good exfoliator, but you get the same results using (St. Ives scrub once a week). I have sensitive skin and this didn't irritate my skin which was a nice surprise. I use cetaphil gentle skin cleanser with this and to wash my face in general because everything else irritates my skin. Before this i use a cleansing oil to remove makeup. And after always a moisturizer. I think this would be good for someone who has overall good skin with an occasional zit here or there. But if you are like me, have large pores, acne and an issue with blackheads, Don't waste your money, it probably won't fix these problems or at least it didn't for me in the last 3 months. I'm keeping it and will use it as an exfoliator with the cetaphil.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

Like many others, I debated for a long time on if I should get the Mia or not. I looked for deals on ebay, but ended up ordering from the Clarisonic website.

Boy, I am glad that I bought this little baby! I think it's definitely worth the price, especially for someone like me that has been struggling with acne for a few years.
No products (face washes, creams, spot treatments, even prescriptions) were working to clear up my acne and I figured I had nothing to lose as you can return this for a full refund.

Within a week my skin was clearly up significantly. At first it did seem to irritate my current pimples, they would turn red, but after using a gentle toner that went away. Now, only about a month later, my skin is almost completely clear and SO smooth. I use the sensitive brush head twice a day (it doesn't bother me) and then I use the regular brush head on my body because its too harsh for my face. At night I remove most of my makeup with cleansing cloths and then use the Clarisonic. In the morning I use it just with my Kiss My Face cream cleanser. Both work wonders on clearing my skin, making my creams and lotions sink in quicker, and making my skin smoother in general.

Would suggest to anyone who is fighting with their skin and can't seem to find anything that works!

on 3/2/2011 9:14:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

works wonders for my skin! definitely helps control my acne. I use it with cleanser after I removed my makeup so it really deep cleans my skin. A little pricy, but for me it was worth it. It also helps you can travel with it! I started using it twice a day and felt it was to much to fast so I did it once every night. As my skin cleared up I used it more and haven't had a problem with huge breakouts. One of m must haves.

on 2/20/2011 10:57:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

I got my Clarisonic Mia from e-bay about six months ago. I live in Brasil and we don't have other option to buy a Clarisonic other than online. Overall I think it's a great product and have been constantly using it. The results are wonderful, my skin never felt better or brighter, at first it felt a little harsh on the skin (using the white brush) when I switched to the blue brush it was way softer but with the same cleaning results - I use it once a day for two minutes with non foaming cleanser. In those six months that have passed since I started using it my sking changed a lot, I don't think the improvements can be credited only to the Clarisonic but to hormonal changes and constant exercise, also I don't pick on the blackheads as much as I did. The great thing about the Clarisonic is that is cleanses the skin like nothing I ever tried before, on my skin it removes those nasty flakes of old skin and all superficial dirt that accumulates on the pores. The reviews here on Make up alley said that it helps the absorption of products and yes, it totally did! The only bad thing that I have to say is that it seems that the battery charge lasts less than it did before and the bristles of the heads got all spikey very fast. Definitely would buy again.

on 2/19/2011 2:38:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse

I cannot live without this! At first I just considered it a luxury item but now it's a staple in my regime. I've been using it for about a month and a half so this review may be a little premature. For reference I have normal/combo sensitive skin.

My skin texture has improved significantly since using it. My skin used to feel very rough and bumpy to the touch...terrible, considering I am only 19 years old! Since using the mia my skin feels soft and smooth, no rough or bumpy texture at all. I occasionally suffer with dry patches on certain areas of my face (forehead mainly, occasionally the cheeks) but since using this I have not had a dry flakey patch of skin at all! My makeup applies wonderfully now as opposed to before, glides on like butter.

Secondly, I really like how clean my skin feels after using. One night I slept over at a friends house and didn't bring my mia with me so just had to use cleanser the normal way...oh man, my skin didn't feel clean at all! I can no longer just use my hands to apply my cleanser otherwise my skin feels dirty. With the mia it's like having a mini facial every day. I have the sensitive brush head and it's perfect for me. I have very sensitive skin and it does not irritate me at all. Gentle yet effective. My pores are minimised and my skin looks brighter because of the gentle exfoliating effect the mia provides.

However, I can only use it once a day. I was previously using it twice a day and suffered from pretty bad breakouts. I cut down to just once a day and the breakouts went. Anyway, in regards to breakouts, I now get less than I used to before I used the mia...I used to get cystic pimples so often and now I rarely do. Don't get me wrong - my skin is not gorgeously clear - but I've had such a reducement in breakouts since using it. I now only breakout when I'm on my period or have worn the wrong type of makeup as opposed to breaking out every day like I used to.

Although the mia is expensive, I really like how it's changed my skin texture and leaves my skin feeling really clean without feeling stripped. I think it's a worthwhile investment.

on 2/12/2011 2:28:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I hesitated to buy the Mia because it is so pricey for a face brush, but I'm glad I finally did. After one month, my skin looks better than it ever has. I only use it at night because I have sensitive skin. I didn't like the cleanser that came with it, but I didn't count that against the Mia in my rating.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I bought this for $189 at Sephora (Canada). It was SO much, but I really wanted to try this. I have been using it for about a month, and honestly I didn't like it during the first three weeks. I have acne prone skin, but I didn't have any breakouts when I started using this product... but then all of a sudden I started breaking out on my cheeks, my forehead, chin, etc. I felt like the Clarisonic was making my skin worse. SO, instead of using it morning and night, I only used it at night time. My skin is flawless now. It looks beautiful and I couldn't be happier. I think the Clarisonic is a great buy, but I think that if you have acne prone skin like me you should only use it once a day.

EDIT: I only use this 2-3 times a week now. This helps get my skin really clean. It is also the only thing that seems to get rid of my dry patches. I don't use this on active acne, because I find that it makes it worse. But this does work well on clogged pores, etc. I have super sensitive skin and was worried this might cause some broken capillaries....but so far I haven't noticed any new ones. I tend to get them when I squeeze acne on my nose, but the Mia has not bothered them.

Overall, I recommend this product. It's great for getting your pores really clean. It doesn't clear up all clogged pores, but it does help. I recommend this for people with dry skin (use a soap-free/gentle cleanser for sensitive skin with this). I have used lots of different chemical exfoliants, but none seem to get rid of dry patches like the Mia does. I also recommend not using this for the full minute if you have sensitive skin. I use this for only 30 seconds on my face and it works great. I think this product can potentially work for everyone, but you just have to play around with it a bit to get the best routine for your skin.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools