April 21, 2014 | 1425 users online

Liquid - NARS - Sheer Glow Foundation

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/3/2010 5:02:00 PM More reviews by bisco

At first when I bought this, I thought to myself "I did not just spend 40 dollars on foundation..." debating on whether or not I'd return it, when it arrived, I awaited anxiously. Finally when it arrived, I un boxed it and put it to use. DISAPPOINTMENT immediately jumped into my head. It was cakey, and seemed too yellow, almost unblendable. But I wasn't going to give up, the next day I skipped the fingers and the amount I used the night before. I used my foundation brush, with very little product. The yellow tint, then masked my red tones. And when I say little, I used little. But somehow, got great coverage. This foundation isn't forgiving with dry skin, so exfoliation is important. Along with moisturized skin, I tend to have to double up to make the foundation work. (clinique gel) with (beauty fluid). I can't skip primer with this either.

Overall, I've grown to love it. It lasts, it covers, and you don't need much. I think next time, I might just get another shade. My only complaint is the packaging, the lid is kind of screwy. The rubber square top, unscrews to reveal a basic round lid. And well, it can be hard to get out, without getting a ton. (which is why my first try sucked BTW)

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/28/2010 5:34:00 PM More reviews by izzybella

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

04/08/2011: ETA - I hate this foundation. It breaks apart by the end of the day, and looks cakey. I've tried it with different primers, sunscreens, moisturizer, etc., and it ALWAYS breaks apart by the end of the day. Too bad because I wanted to love this because it feels super light going on and I found a great natural-looking color match. Initially it looks great, but within a few hours it breaks apart and gets greasy/oily looking on my combo skin. I think this would work best for those with dry skin.

ORIGINAL REVIEW: This is probably my HG foundation right now. My favorite foundation used to be NARS Oil-Free in Budapest, but both the formula and shade were discontinued. Sheer Glow has a dewier finish than the Oil-Free, which had kaolin clay in it for oil control. Sometimes I need to blot later in the day which is fine for Fall/Winter, but I will probably need something in a matte formula for the summertime.

At first I didn't like this foundation but it was because I had the wrong shade. A NARS SA matched me with Ceylan, but it turned out to be much too light for me. I tried again and while Fiji is close, Punjab is pretty much spot on for me. I'm currently using a sample but will get the full size soon.

For reference, I wear MAC NC30, BE 1.2/2.0 light, Shiseido O20, and NARS Budapest in the Oil-Free formula.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/27/2010 4:10:00 PM More reviews by lalaland

I heard about NARS Sheer Glow for over a year and never thought twice about it because I rarely use liquid foundation and try to stick with natural brands for skin and foundation products. I tried Tarte, Korres, 100% pure and a few others for liquid foundation and was always intitally amazed and then disasatisfied. I can say that the same goes for this one. I loved it at first...it went on so smoothly and covered so well, like creamy porcelain. Later, however, like many reviews have stated, it fades and kind of sits on the skin which is not good for my dry cheeks/under my eyes. Why do I give it a 4 then, because I like how it makes my skin feel, I like that it feels lightweight, does not make me break out, is free from a lot of terrible ingredients surprisingly, FIJI tones down the red in my skin (NC 20 but I have rosy cheeks), and overall does a pretty good job of being a foundation. Not perfect, but really good to me and it is a keeper. I think it really depends on your skin how well this will work for you. I recommend exfoliating, using a good moisturizer and maybe a primer, if you have dry skin or areas like me.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/25/2010 8:36:00 AM More reviews by vesperstar

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I don't understand the hype surrounding this foundation. I have tried using is a million different ways, with primers, without, with different foundation brushes but nothing makes this product look "right". It doesn't stay on the skin and fades throughout the day- It doesn't give me a dewy look at all. I accept it's "sheer" but if sheer is what you are after then I think laura mercier's tinted moisturiser is a 100 times better alternative- and the results are stunning. I hate the fact that Nars don't have pumps for their foundations either. You can't control how much product comes out and the fact that the foundation is then exposed to the air and oxides is hardly hygienic and reduces its shelf life. Would not buy this over-priced, over-hyped product ever again.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/24/2010 10:17:00 AM More reviews by uli_grrl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this product based on the rave reviews on MUA. I'm currently searching for a HG-status foundation and was hoping this would be the last stop on my search. Wrong.

I thought the color choices for Sheer Glow were fine - I was able to find a close match with Deauville. After getting home and trying it on, I probably could have gone one shade deeper with Figi. For reference, my skin coloring is N20-25, with very slight warm tones.

I applied this foundation with my fingers, which is my preferred method for all foundations unless I'm trying something with very heavy coverage, then I will use a sponge. (one of the cheap wedge sponges works very well for me). The Sheer Glow went on fine, looked pretty good when I left the house for work at 8am. However, by noon, I checked out my face and it looked like the foundation was just sitting on top of my skin. My face was also EXTREMELY oily/dewy looking. I looked wet. Not a good look for the office. When I went to blot my face, the foundation just seemed to slide off - very odd.

A couple things to note: I have breakout-prone and combo skin. I'm on Retin A, but don't have much of an issue with flakiness anymore, just dry areas around the mouth. The Sheer Glow didn't seem to accentuate any of my typically dry areas, which was a plus. Another plus, is that I don't think made me break out - but keep in mind I only tried the foundation twice. As far as primer, I'm just using Sofina SS as my primer and its worked great for years. I'm very resistant to putting layers upon layers of product on my face just to get a foundation to work, but that said, maybe this foundation would work well with a traditional primer. When I returned this foundation to Sephora, the SA told me that I might not have been happy with the application because I didn't use a foundation brush. Perhaps she was correct, but this is where I'm a bit fussy - I don't want to buy special tools to just make a foundation work. I firmly believe that my HG foundation (whenever I find it) will apply beautifully with just fingers. So the search continues...

rated 4 of 5 on 10/23/2010 3:10:00 PM More reviews by jackjack828

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Other, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I like this a lot. I have combo skin (dry/oily) with a bit of spider veins around my nose. This stuff is sheer but buildable. I use my bb fdnt brush and sephora plat airbrush to blend it and the result is amazing. You might need to put a primer pror to use because it doesn't really last that long. I still find myself blotting after couple of hours. Wish it comes in a pump. I'll keep using this during winter but I'll switch to mac pro longwear during summer time. I'm nc40/42 and I use syracuse.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/23/2010 1:03:00 PM More reviews by Schadenfrau

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

The reviewer below me, Darkling, basically covered everything I was coming here to write about NARS Sheer Glow Foundation- right down to the fact that this stuff is going back to Sephora.

I like Laura Mercier's oil-free tinted moisturizer for the summer, and I was looking for a foundation that would offer a little more coverage for fall. I'm still scratching my head about what made me think Sheer Glow would be that foundation, as this is one of the worst foundations I've used since junior high.

The slight coverage this product offered lasted all of about 20 minutes on my face- then it would slide around and completely vanish. I found myself powdering my face every hour just to make myself look presentable. Seriously, this stuff goes on like it's oil and water.

Beyond that, the color selection is awful. I've got pale skin, and I usually go for either the lightest or second lightest option in any range of foundations. The second lightest option in the Sheer Glow line, Deauville, was straight-up yellow on my skin. I purchased the lightest option, Siberia, and found that while it looked okay immediately after application, it would go chalk-white within minutes. It also did nothing to conceal any redness in my skin, and contrary to the brand's claims, was anything but buildable.

This was not the product for me.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/20/2010 7:22:00 PM More reviews by darkling

I bought this product with high hopes based on the reviews here and on YouTube. It did not apply easily (and I tried many brushes, sponges, and fingers). The finished result wasn't very natural, but the worst part about it was how it unnaturally faded throughout the day.

It was very disappointing to come home after work and see the hot mess this created on my face. It faded in some areas and appeared concentrated in other areas. I gave up and returned it to Sephora.

I think it's very overpriced and the packaging is bad. Who pours foundation out of a bottle?! I have happily switched to LMTM and will avoid all foundation in the future.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/20/2010 1:57:00 PM More reviews by claram26

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I absolutely LOVE this foundation. Like everyone else, I have tried countless foundations that I have loved for a week and then gotten bored of or realized I looked awful in photos - not so with Nars Sheer Glow. This product is great. I just returned from an extended trip abroad and was so pleased to look through my pictures and see how well this photographs! No SPF, which is a must for my foundations because I hate that ghostly glow SPF gives in photos. In photos from 8am and 10pm my skin looks great, and I never touched up.

I have tried several different application methods and find that rubbing it into my skin with my fingers is by far the best for great coverage and an airbrushed look. This is how the Nars girl recommended I should apply it, but i went through a slew of brushes before I finally decided she was right.

I have pretty good skin naturally and am dry all over. This does highlight scaly dry patches if I have them, but not any more than other foundations, and the coverage is gorgeous. This makes my skin flawless without being over done or cakey, feels weightless, and wears beautifully throughout the day.

I also have EXTREMELY sensitive skin and eczema, and this is so gentle and beautiful, I even use it under my eyes as a concealer when I am in a rush.

Cannot recommend highly enough! One comment on the color though. I use Santa Fe, which is a perfect match for me, but the less than competent Sephora girl tried to put me in Ceylon, which is several shades too light and designed for asian skin - I am blonde and blue eyed german with pink undertones, obviously not a good fit. I would recommend looking at the color descriptions on the Nars website so that you are informed of the undertones when you go in for a match!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 10/19/2010 8:14:00 PM More reviews by mcaceres90

I love this foundation! I have A LOT of dark acne scars and this foundation gives me great coverage! I had a problem with the fact it didn't have a pump, but when I bought it, they said Francois Nars made it so you use your hands to apply it. So I just dab a little onto the back of my left hand and apply with my right fingers and get a great finish! I usually don't get a dewy finish right away, but maybe after a few minutes, but that could just be because of my oily skin... It does start to fade after a while, and I do need to retouch, but I don't use a powder to set it, so that can be a reason. I would recommend this to my friends, but I don't want them to know my secret! Ahaha :)