August 23, 2014 | 1815 users online

Liquid - NARS - Sheer Glow Foundation

rated 4 of 5 on 1/18/2011 2:29:00 PM More reviews by theNYues

NARS Sheer Glow foundation is on the pricier side for a foundation however given the the quality of the foundation I must say that I don't regret my purchase. The name "Sheer Glow" may be a little deceiving cause it actuallly is highly pigmented so a little goes a long way. I would consider this at least a medium coverage foundation. I use maybe a pea size amount to cover my whole face and it spreads out easily and evenly whether you were to use a foundation brush or your fingers.
I think compared to other creamier, thicker consistency foundations such as Estee Lauder double wear this foundation covers redness and evens out my skintone equally as well without giving a heavy "mask" feeling.
Since this foundation gives a dewy glow finish to your skin if you do not like this effect on your t-zone I would recommend dusting a little bit of powder after foundation application. From my experience MAC blot powder worked really well and you only need a little bit.
For reference, I am NC 20-25 in MAC foundations and I was color matched for "Fiji" for NARS Sheer Glow.
Also you can purchase a pump at the NARS website. It is much easier to dispense the amount of foundation you want with a pump rather than pouring it directly out of the bottle and you end up not wasting a lot of product.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/17/2011 3:22:00 PM More reviews by VivaSue

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Disappointed by this product. Even though sheer, the foundation felt greasy and heavy on my face. I have oily skin and it made my face feel even oilier.

I am sure if your skin is not oily this would be a good option for you.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/17/2011 2:22:00 AM More reviews by Imazul

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Too many reviews to read. So I'm gonna get straight to the point. [i have mixed feelings towards this]

Pros:
-Didn't break me out (i have the acniest pronest skin)
UPDATE****
broke me out. don't use it anymore...i didnt even use half the product :[

rated 2 of 5 on 1/17/2011 2:00:00 AM More reviews by Freelizzy

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Other, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I was really excited to buy this foundation as I heard raving reviews from friends and family alike. When I applied this foundation however, my face (particularly my forehead) looked like a giant grease ball. I was only going for the soft glowy look. Next time, maybe I'll try the sheer matte instead. Lastly, the bottle bugs me because for the $42 you spend, they might as well provide a pump to go along with it. Oh well....

rated 1 of 5 on 1/16/2011 8:03:00 AM More reviews by red77tube

I'm a huge fan of NARS products but the NARS Sheer Glow Foundation was a huge disappointment. Everyone's skin is different so I'm sure the raving reviews that others have given this product were indeed deserved with how it worked for them. I've tried around 20 different foundations so far and the NARS Sheer Glow finishes last for me in terms of coverage and staying power. Many of the negative reviews on here all say the Sheer Glow is heavy, I completely disagree, the consistency is very light and fluid, in fact, it's the thinest liquid foundation I've ever tried. That's not a minus for me, where this product falls flat is its blendability and the streakiness of the final result. I've not tried every technique in applying this foundation, so if I find a winning combo, I'll do an updated review. However, I tend to feel like a good foundation should apply well with fingers. I also didn't use a makeup primer, as I like to get a feel for a foundations true staying power and appearance without support from other products.

In terms of staying-power, I felt like Sheer Glow didn't really 'sink' into my skin and just sat on top of it as a layer. Due to this, it seemed like any slight feather contact was enough to disturb the foundation and make it patchy. It's staying power for me was rather weak, despite me wearing powder on top of it and having normal to dry skin. Also, I found that this foundation emphasises ANY dryness you may have. I exfoliate my skin daily and use good moisturizers, yet Sheer Glow was apparently showing me things I didn't even know about my skin. Since foundation is supposed to make your skin look better, not worse, I was very disappointed by this product, especially given how much I love NARS products.

The one positive thing about this foundation was that the colour I purchased, Gobi, is a wonderful match for my skin. I think the Sheer Glow foundations have some of the most realistic tones available, so if they work for you, then consider yourself lucky! I'm on the fair side but have a lot of yellow in my skin, which I need to match to. On Top of that, my face has redness, so I need a foundation that is practically Crayola Crayon Yellow (ok, not quite that yellow but you get the point), and Gobi is a beautiful shade that works for my skin and balances out redness too. I have all my foundations fanned out next to eachother and all my other ones just are not as pretty, colour-wise, as the NARS one. I wish this product could have worked better for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/15/2011 2:53:00 PM More reviews by diorchic

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Dark, Cool Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

My favorite foundation, hands down!!!! The price is definitely worth it for me. I have combination skin and this foundation does not get oily on me (always use a light powder) and the finish is just so beautiful. My shade is Macao and I wear Nw43 in Mac foundations.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/14/2011 10:54:00 PM More reviews by Ewabili

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

To date I've tried Mac Studio finish, CoverGirl Simply Ageless, Teint Miracle and CoverGirl Natureluxe and out of them all Nars is the most difficult and the most temperamental foundation I've used!!! You really have to be a makeup artist to use this one, or at least know all the tricks. If you're new to foundations and want to use Nars, you better read this!!!

I got it in Siberia and it was the second foundation I've used in my life (started using foundation at age 33) right after Simply Ageless. I was really overdoing it because this is a really heavily pigmented foundation and it turned my face into a pale mask (even if the foundation matches my skin-tone). It's best yo use a light hand when applying it, I use my fingers I found the best way to do this is to dab very tiny smudges all over your face at regular intervals and then blend it in by patting them in by pushing lightly downward in a circular pattern. Then dab some more into problem areas. DO NOT SMEAR because it will look awful and it's so thick it will leave streaks (yes my fingerprints made streaks)! Even though there is nothing sheer about sheer glow it didn't break me out.

The coverage is medium to heavy and quite good but make sure to contour, blush or use illuminating products to ad some colour modulation because the coverage is so good that it evens out skin into a flat same colour zone.

If you have large pores avoid this one or don't use it in those areas because it will settle into anything too large, into heavy wrinkles or into the fine lines around the eyes.

If you have dry skin, I suggest you moisturize it really, really well because this foundation will make any dry flake or patch stand out even if they are not noticeable (most high coverage foundation do this). I wasn't' about to throw out a 58$CAN foundation, so I upped my moisturizing with Pangea Organics oil in my moisturizer and this did the trick, better than any primer that I tried before intensifying my moisturizing.

I use it with Teint Miracle, I put Teint miracle into the pore enlarged T-Zone area and NARS everywhere else and on acne scars or problem areas. I chose the Teint Miracle foundation a tad darker so I avoid that even coloured mask feeling.

I'm kinda confused because at 58$ this is not a "young" price-point and I'm pretty sure that this foundation works really well on young, fresh and already good skin.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/13/2011 7:28:00 PM More reviews by redheadjane

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Ok, after hearing about this product for a long time, I finally decided to take the plunge. My skin is very Sensitive, breakout prone and in the winter I am combo to dry in the summer a little more oily. In the winter I do not like drying foundations. So I thought I would try this as it is meant for normal to dry and sensitive skin. But the Number 1 reason I got it..NO SPF, this is a good thing for me, as I am highly allergic to Chemical sunscreens. I also do modeling and need a foundation that does not cast white in photos. SPF makeup makes me look like a ghost in photos and is pretty much useless when I do photography work.

This is Medium coverage, Satin finish, somewhat buildable, I tested this first on totally bare skin, no primer etc and had a few spots to cover. It looked really good despite my crappy skin. Went on well with fingers. I always test foundations the first time around with no primer and with my fingers, Kind of my own foundation test. You can sheer this out with a Damp sponge. But this really goes on well with a stripling brush, you really can get an airbrushed look. I think the Key to using this foundation and getting that really nice airbrushed but natural skin look is completely in the application. This is highly pigmented, you do not need a lot of this product at all. It's thin texture is misleading to some ladies and I think those who find it cakey are putting on WAY too much. Second, you have to get a really close match to your natural skintone, this is the important key to any foundation looking natural. Third, Moisturize, primer, let face sit for a bit, then apply with a stipple brush or a sponge. I happen to like sponges because they are more hygienic, I just throw them away after every use, they are cheap in bulk. For those with dry spots? Exfoliate first. Apply a heavy moisturizer to your dry spots, then apply. For those that are greasy? This formula is probably not for you. Even says so on the bottle. Normal to Dry, very dry and sensitive. Go with he sheer matte, that's for oily skin.

I am wearing this in Deauville, is a really super close match to my skin, a little more yellow than I would go, but gives me a more warm look to my face. I typically wear Buff 2 in Lancome Teint Idole and in the winter can get away with MUFE #110. Yellow is good for those with a bit of redness in the skin, it can neutralize red spots and flushed skin. Most foundations (MAC...too yellow IMHO) use yellow bases because they flatter people's skin and make them look healthier. Of course too yellow makes you look jaundiced. I found Deauville to be true to the Pink/Yellow more neutral color description.

Of course my gripe about this is the packaging. NARS needs to get with it and just put a pump on this instead of people having to shell out money for a pump. MAC used to do this but have wised up on their newer foundations. It's how you keep customers..give them what they want. So put a pump on this NARS!!!

If you are senstiive to sunscreens, Like me, I think this is a great foundation. No breakouts, no reactions, no rashes. No itchies, which is common with a lot of Foundations for me. Does this live up to the hype? In a way...yes it does. It makes my not so perfect skin look really good, really natural, and I it does last about 8-9 hours on me with just a touch of powder on my nose. For something that is not supposed to be long wearing, I think that's more than I would expect. I'm giving it a four because I really like this now while my skin is drier, in warmer months I get oily, I am not sure how well it will stand up to the 90 plus degree humid heat I get where I live.

Note: Please shake this really well before applying.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/10/2011 9:37:00 PM More reviews by x0kerbear

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I have wanted to try Sheer Glow forever, but I would always talk myself out of buying it due to the price and I already have so many foundations! I had 3 foundations in my rotation - MAC face and body, Neutrogena healthy skin, and bare minerals. I love all of those, but I have to say NARS Sheer Glow is the holy grail foundation for me!

1. Application: I have found that this applies the best with my fingers, which also happens to be the recommendation from NARS. I've also used a traditional foundation brush and the Sephora airbrush foundation brush. With the brushes the foundation never quite sinks into my skin and I can see the makeup sitting on my skin. With my fingers it just blends amazingly into my skin and I get a beautiful even skin tone with a "no-makeup-look".

2. Coverage: Definitely medium to full for me. I would say this is the fullest coverage foundation I own. I would only call this buildable if you use your fingers - I usually start with a very small amount and then add a little more to my chin (my problem area). It also does a good job at covering my dark circles. I still use concealer for them, but I use a lot less than I would with other foundations.

3. Packaging: I personally LOVE the packaging! I don't feel it needs a pump at all. I just shake it really well and the product comes to the top and I just tap my finger on it to get some product out. I never pour foundations out of the bottle, you're just asking for a mess!

4. Lasting power: This foundation lasts all day on me, which is about 8-10 hours of wear. My skin looks amazing with this on - it really does "glow". I have combination skin - being combo-dry sometimes and combo-oily other times. I do use MAC mineralize skinfinish natural on my t-zone to set it and keep that area from getting oily.

5. Color: This is probably the first liquid foundation that matches me perfectly! I have pretty light skin, especially in the winter. Usually I'm the lightest or 2nd lightest in foudations but they are always super pink on me. I'm pretty neutral and Mont Blanc is perfect for me. It has more of a pink undertone, but not so much that it makes my skin super pink - it actually has a great balance of pinky-yellow. In the summer, I will probably wear Deauville.

Overall, I think NARS Sheer Glow is the best foundation I've ever used.
I love the glow my skin has with this and I have been using it most days of the week for ~2 months. I rotate between this and bare minerals. I really think this is worth a try and forget the makeup brushes - use your fingers!!
I will most definitely repurchase this -$42 is a lot, but definitely worth it for me!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/9/2011 3:18:00 PM More reviews by MalibuMands

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I'm about n10/15 and wear Siberia in SHEER GLOW. I'm too fair for many brands and given that my skintone is neutral too I have never before found such a great cover match. In fact I may need to go a shade darker come summer; I can't believe I'm saying that!

Where to start? You can tell by the name that SHEER GLOW gives my skin a silky and glowy finish, and given my lacklustre skin tone, I think this is close to miraculous! Best of all: SHEER GLOW feels light on my dry skin and is so easy to build up for medium coverage, plus there are no patches of dry skin at the end of the day. And it wears really well too, I can easily go a full day without needing any touch ups.

Is there any bad points? The formula is perfect for me, but I prefer foundation bottles to have pumps - it's more hygienic. And whilst SHEER GLOW is in no way the most expensive foundation out there, it is a lot more then my family and friends pay.

But those little niggles aside; This is now my HG foundation.