July 31, 2014 | 1611 users online

Liquid - NARS - Sheer Glow Foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 12/30/2010 9:12:00 PM More reviews by kims3142

edit: June 2012
OK this is HG now, only foundation I have ever bought 3 times, stays on great with NAC P&P Spf 50 & P&P Powder. Also the only non-pro foundation that comes in yellow/ olive tones for me.
Fantabulous!

I have been using this for about a year and I am about 60 - 70% through the bottle. I don't use it everyday, about 4 times a week.

This foundation has the best finish of all of the foundations I have tried both high and low end. There's no apparent shimmer, but the finish is very soft focused, glowy and mimics the look of real skin. I gave it a 4 because of the no-pimp issue and it doesn't wear as long as I would like it. But I have industrial strength oily skin and most foundations do not wear well after 4 or 5 hours. This lasts about 5 hours depending on whether or not I have primer on, then it lasts a bit longer.

What is great about this foundation first of all that is so lacking in other lines is the amazing color selection. I have very strong olive/ yellow undertones with my neck being almost 2 shades darker than my pinkier face. I wear this is Stromboli, I am currently about NC30 - 35/ C30 - 35. But I have worn this when I was more NC42 and it still looked natural. Even though this is medium coverage you get some leeway with the shades. When I was paler I did try Punjab which was a bit too peachy, but still worked from when I was NC 25-35.

I tried applying this in all of the possible methods and I prefer it with either a buffing brush or a flat foundation brush that is a filbert shape. You can layer this, but I have never gotten more than a medium coverage out of this one.

I don't think this makes me oilier, but it is a foundation more for normal, slightly combo to dry skins I think. If you want a foundation with beautiful texture, great yellow toned color selection and a candle-lit finish you should try this.

I love NARS, but they need to put a pump on this. I did buy this in GOBI which is very pale on ebay and it has a pump because it is a tester! I use it to adjust the color of my other foundations.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/28/2010 3:06:00 AM More reviews by candiy1028

One of my favorite foundations ever! It took me so long to purchase this because it was so expensive but what the heck. I heard so many great reviews and decided to try it. I have it in Stromboli. It is a bit light on me but its good for winter time since my tan is fading away. I do have oily skin and later on in the day it tends to get oily around my nose area. Other than that it looks flawless. Im going to try the MATTE next.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/25/2010 3:26:00 PM More reviews by knicks

I'm not a liquid foundation person as I'm more of a mineral makeup person. I prefer quick application. But I'm open to try new things. I've seen the hype all over the reviews board on this foundation so I decided to buy and try it myself. I have combination dry skin where I do get flaky skin sometimes. I was matched to Barcelona which actually is the perfect match for my skintone. I think the Barcelona matched me much better than the MUFE HD foundation in #55 where I find the MUFE #55 have a slight orange tone to it. I actually like this foundation more than my MUFE as this feels more natural and the texture is a lot easier to work with than the MUFE. In terms of coverage, it does even out my skintone but it doesn't cover up my acne scarring but even though my acne scarring still shows through(I have a lot of acne scarring on my cheeks and my chin), it doesn't bother me at all as I can always use a good concealer but usually I just leave it as it is then set it with powder. For application, I just actually use my fingers. In general I think I have found my HG liquid foundation.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/24/2010 3:45:00 PM More reviews by tubularr

Initially, I was in love with this foundation. I bought it due to the hype and it deserves the hype in my opinion. It is very thin and looks COMPLETELY natural! The price is ridiculously high and the fact that you have to pay more for the pump is weird, but oh well. This looks more natural than MUFE HD but does not cover as well. The shades are geared towards yellow undertones, so beware if you are pink toned and want to try this foundation. My shade is in Barcelona, which is a tad dark. I don't know if I use more of this foundation than the MUFE HD because this doesn't have a pump! The cap is annoying because the rubber cap thing can be taken off and theres another cap underneath, so the rubber cap just keeps turning and feels as if I never close it tight. All in all, amazing foundation, but expensive.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/23/2010 11:50:00 PM More reviews by beautifuldreamer324

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I got color matched for this at my local Sephora in JCP (about 40 min away!). I didn't even think they carried Nars. Super excited they do. I got to play with the blushes! Yay. The very helpful and friendly MUA was amazing. She color matched me and gave me two generous sized samples of this foundation in Barcelona and Syracuse. Barcelona seems to be the perfect match. I like the way this looks and feels on my dry cheeks. However, this seems like it needs to either be used with a primer or set with something. I don't see it lasting all day.

Downside- It needs to be sold with a pump for the price!! This bottle is similar to the one I have for my Loreal foundation. I'd expect better from Nars.

Overall, I like this product. I'd love to find it on sale.

Edit: Wore this today for Christmas dinner. Surprisingly, this lasted all day. Covers really well. My only issue is the Barcelona seemed to match really well, but when i was photographed with it all, it looks a bit light for me. However, Syracuse was a tad dark. Maybe I can just mix them both or go back to Sephora to get color matched again. I like this alot, I just hate the price tag.
I've been using this since I got the samples, and I must say that surprisingly my complexion has improved since I've used this.

Edit: The barcelona is a bit too warm and peach toned for my skin. *sigh* the Beauty Consultant from Sephora whom I spoke with today said that the Nars foundation shades don't have a neutral medium shade, which is what what I need and recommended I try Stila Illuminating or MUFE HD foundation for a better color match. I do love this formula though.

*edit: this is the only foundation i've tried that photographs so amazingly! i don't get a white cast as I go with other foundations. i love how this photographs. looks natural. i do like this, but honestly...the foundation itself is not worth $42! the bottle it comes in is a pain. you shouldn't have to pay for a pump, you're paying enough for the foundation itself! this is truly a really nice foundation. i like it a lot, but it's overpriced just because it has the NARS name on it. i'll use this definitely, but i won't be repurchasing.

Edit 6/27/11: I did swap this out on here, but I recently purchased it again in Stromboli. (I returned the MUFE HD and didn't have a receipt, so I got this instead.) I LOVE this. Stromboli looks so natural. This foundation looks natural and feels light on the skin (unlike the MUFE HD), while still giving nice light/medium (buildable) coverage. I will purchase again if I ever run out. I still think this should come with a pump.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/20/2010 9:14:00 AM More reviews by Versus1

I was told by many friends that this was one of the best foundations around. I purchased it to regretfully find out that they were wrong. I'm not sure if it is because of my skin texture but it just looks so cakey and unnatural on my skin. It blends terribly and I now use it as a concealer as it is way too heavy to use as a foundation without mixing it with something less heavy. I have found that you must warm the product with your fingers before application to break down the product, but even so i still do not like this foundation. It is definitely the most expensive foundation I have ever bought and the packaging is extremely wasteful as it doesn't come with a pump and ends up all over the place. I will definitely not recommend of purchase this product again unless you are after extremely heavy and full coverage.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/19/2010 11:03:00 PM More reviews by EuphoricMadness

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Coarse Eyes: Brown

When looking for foundations, 'sheer' and 'glow' are two words I avoid, as I am a combo/oily skinned gal who prefers matte (or anything not *too* glowy), med-full coverage foundations. But it's only natural to want to see what all the hype is about, right? So I tried out SG at Sephora. I am a MAC NC43-44, and Syracuse and Tahoe were good matches for me. Applied with Sephora's disposable sponges, it looked beautiful; medium coverage (keep in mind I used a sponge), and not as glowy as I had thought it would be, which might disappoint those who want a really glowy/dewy finish, but for me it was perfect. It even stayed that way outside the store and under the bright lighting of my bathroom (my ultimate test for foundations). I asked for a sample a few days later, and I was really excited about it, but somehow I could never get this to work again like I did at the store. It still gave a nice, slight glow, and it blended easily, but it looked so bad under bright lights, and accentuated dry areas. It also transfers so easily, even when set with powder. The 'glow' part of the name fooled me into thinking this would be hydrating, which it isn't at all for me. Plus I was surprised to find that this gave me at least a medium coverage, maybe even full. Not sheer at all, which I didn't mind, but thought strange, considering the name and some of the reviewers below me who say it's sheer. Maybe it's just the ones I tried? Hm...
I applied this with several different brushes, my fingers, and a sponge, over primed, and non-primed skin, and I've found that the best way to apply it, and so that it's more true to its name (sheer and glowy with no dryness), is with a sponge, with or without primer. I would not buy this--$42 USD for an average foundation? And with no pump? No thanks.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/18/2010 11:04:00 PM More reviews by Cherry_blossom

I rarely put on foundation anymore (and if I do, it would be mineral). However, on days that I want the ultimate flawless look (for photos or to impress haha), I always reach for this foundation because it gives a perfect dewy look which I love, and it matches my light asian skin perfectly (I use Ceylan). The finish is so natural and pretty. I used to use Estee Lauder's Double Wear and while it is a wonderful full-coverage foundation, it just felt too heavy on me. So when I ran out, I tried Nars and fell in love. Nars Sheer Glow is medium coverage (the name of foundation is quite deceiving), but it looks like your skin! It doesn't feel heavy at all, and doesn't accentuate any dry areas esp. in the winter time (unlike many of the foundations I've tried, and I'm very picky - Dior, Lancome, MUFE... etc). This has become my HG!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/18/2010 8:09:00 PM More reviews by macismycrack627

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I am so glad I didn't actually purchase this foundation. I have been matched incorrectly twice for my color, but finally found that Ceylan is a perfect shade for me.

Too bad when I tried my sample I hated it immediately. It doesn't blend in well with my skin and accentuates any dry spots. It just looks gross and mask-like. I had to take it off right when I put it on and use my usual foundation.

It just did not work for me at all.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/18/2010 6:25:00 PM More reviews by aresbabe

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this as my first foundation ever!! I had never used foundation because I really did not need it but now as I am getting a little older wanted some coverage to make my skin look even. PROS: nice sheer coverage, my freckles show through (which I like), does not feel heavy, blendable, easy to use. CONS: price, makes my face look chalky in photos, made me oily (I have oily t-zone, combo skin). Overall, I would not buy again because of the price and performance. I have Santa Fe and use MAC NC 30.