April 18, 2014 | 1973 users online

Makeup Brushes - MAC - #187 Duo Fiber Face Brush (Stippling, Skunk Brush)

rated 5 of 5 on 1/21/2009 11:27:00 AM More reviews by TRIPPIN

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Absolutely love this brush. The bristles are very soft and distribute liquid foundation beautifully. The results are a nice, airbrushed look. I will never go back to using sponges.

The price is a bit steep, but I think it's worth it. I clean my brush after every use. I use Quo (Shoppers Drug Mart, Canada) brush cleaner which costs $8, less than the MAC brush cleaner, and it does a beautiful job.

Highly recommend this investment to everyone.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/20/2009 8:45:00 AM More reviews by Tigrou

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This brush is so super soft, it is unbelievable. It also applies my liquid foundation like a dream. And I love the handle - it feels really sturdy and you can tell that this brush is really well made. Even though this brush is not cheap, it is not much more expensive than the Sephora one, and the quality of the 187 is hands down better. The only thing that I didn't like about this brush is that is shed. At the first use, it spit black hairs on my face. I guess all brushes shed a little bit, or so they say, and yet my Sephora #44 hasn't shed at all. However, if this is the only negative, I can deal. And it hasn't shed since the first use, so maybe those were just loose hairs in the brush. I haven't washed it yet, so I can't say whether the dye runs when wet, but I'll do an update after the first washing to let everyone know my experience. But to those of you hesitating between the 187 and other knock-offs, remember this: No matter how soft the other brushes are, they will not compare to this brush. There are some things you should spend the extra money on, and this is one of them! UPDATE: I washed my brush for the first time and I had NO color run whatsoever. The white part of the brush stayed bright white. And I had no shedding issues after the wash either.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/18/2009 5:18:00 PM More reviews by CTP

I heard that the 187SE's are LESS effective than the actually full sized brush. Just wanted to leave that here just incase it helps =)

Also, to me, it seems as if loses it's dye/color way to quickly. Maybe it is because I wash mines weekly =\ The white bristles are becoming visible on the sides. blech.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/18/2009 5:09:00 PM More reviews by missytease

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE! I love this brush! use it for foundation and it gives you this air brush effect. its amazing! i also like to use this for my blush and OMG it gives the most awesome flush.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/18/2009 5:08:00 PM More reviews by MissMisfitMary

This brush is the best for applying liquid foundation. LOVE IT! The SE edition does shed a lot, but the full size does not (after like 2 washes)and its great and I love it!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/17/2009 6:19:00 PM More reviews by ihatespots

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I got this brush last year but I've only just recently used it as I have been applying foundation and bb cream with my fingers. My skin is breaking out and I needed to applying the fdtn with a brush for better coverage.
I agree with all the other reviewers, its very soft and gives a smooth airbrushed finish! But it over-does the foundation and masks the face with uneveness to the face. I tried layering the foundation and it looks even more cakey. Its even more difficult to use around the nose area too.
It does shed and the hairs are extremely sparse thus the cakiness of the foundation IMO. However, i think it works great for blush

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/17/2009 2:28:00 PM More reviews by Buttercup86

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

My wonderful boyfriend bought this brush for me as a late Xmas gift. I had heard of the raves for this brush here and on youtube, every makeup guru has one. When I first got it I have to admit that I was very skeptical. The brush really did not look like it could do much. But I always knew I could return it if I didn't like it. I think the best thing to do is wash the brush as soon as you get it, I let it dry and noticed it "fluffed up" a lot. I used it the next night to apply my study fix fluid. I take some fdtn, apply it on my skin with my fingers, then I lightly dot or stipple the fdtn with the brush all over, then I lightly swirl to blend. I honestly did not think the brush would be able to blend the fdtn with the flimsy bristles but I was VERY wrong. Not only does it blend, it blends beautifully and flawlessly, no streaks at all. The only place that is a bit tricky to blend is around the nose area. The brush is very soft and I've had no shedding from it at all. It makes you skin look for smooth and fresh, GAH airbrushed even. The brush was 42$ and I know that seems a bit expensive, but it really was worth it seeing I use it almost everyday. If you are going to splurge on yourself I say do it with the 187, you won't be sorry.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/16/2009 2:10:00 PM More reviews by isseymiyake

great brush, but too pricy.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/16/2009 1:31:00 PM More reviews by foxysoxy804

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I am absolutely makeup dumb. Not good at applying makeup due to shaky hands/bad eyes/an inability to see streaks or flaws or anything. For (IMO) the most complicated component of beauty, liquid foundation, someone like me needs the 187 brush.

It makes putting the foundation on so easy. Also, it looks flawless. What you do is dab the top of the brush in the foundation, then dot it all around your face. Then, blend it all in with the brush using circular buffing motion.

44 dollars is a ton of money to spend on a brush. However, it is definitely worth it if you are like me.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/15/2009 7:44:00 PM More reviews by joshuaxcore

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

With a wide barrel, synthetic and natural dual phase, and multi-use functionality, this brush will enhance product application, immensely. Breakdown:
Pro: Long barrel, clever use of fiber optics and goat hair, can be used to apply wet and dry formulas, Offers the ability to create a wash of sheer cheek color, can easily give the novice makeup artist professional results that yield little difficulty, works well with liquid foundation giving a thin, and even coverage, works well with finishing powders delivering just the right amount of product to the plane of foundation.
Con: Is not useful for cream based product application, although the brush's functionality is not spared by time, the aesthetic nature is (the goat hair dries and gets frizzy), Must be cleaned very often, difficult to travel with, can be tedious in application of a high coverage powder finish.
Personal thought: I would recommend getting at least two as they soil easily. I prefer my 190 over the 187 for liquid application (Iím OCD about exact application when it comes to liquid foundation), although I use the 187 to blend liquid into my neck. Works well when setting liquid with Mineralize Skin Finish Natural pressed powder. I have a full sized that stays at home and a short handle edition for school touchups. (Iím that vain boy in the bathroom mirror between every class)