Eucerin Aquaphor Healing Ointment

4.7

Active Ingredients: Petrolatum (41%) (Skin Protectant [Ointment]) Inactive Ingredients: Mineral Oil, Ceresin, Lanolin Alcohol, Panthenol, Glycerin, Bisabolol

on 12/21/2007 2:33:00 PM

I love this stuff! it saved my dry hands and it moisturizes my lips. it is great for the cold, windy san francisco weather. sometimes if i'm especially dry i will use this stuff out of the tub after i shower and then i go to bed. i wake up with super-soft skin.

on 12/17/2007 2:51:00 PM

a few questions....how does petroleum jelly qualify as an 'active ingredient'? why is aquaphor so expensive when its ingredients are fairly common moisturizers (Mineral Oil, Ceresin, Lanolin Alcohol, Panthenol, Glycerin, Bisabolol) found in lots of other products? yes, i tried straight vaseline and realized now why eucerin still makes aquaphor - it's MUCH than just petroleum jelly and clearly it's their trade secret since no one else has figured out why. i've tried tons of expensive eye creams - la mer, laura mercier, and shiseido - and none of them can compare to just plain old aquaphor. in my younger (acne-prone) years i shied away from anything that was remotely heavy. i can alternate my la mer face cream with aquaphor every night and not only am i blemish-free, my skin looks fresh and glowing! because i have pretty dry skin, this ointment doesn't give me milia or any other odd growths - just baby-soft, fresh looking skin.

on 12/16/2007 2:14:00 AM

HGHGHG! This, along with olive oil, is a number one beauty staple for me. My grandmother has used this for decades; she used it with all 8 of her children and every single one of them still uses it. One of my aunts said she can't use anything else. I use this for when my lips get chapped (nothing works better, I have not tried the Aquaphor lip treatment, though, I don't know if the formula is different from this) as well as slathering my feet after scrubbing them in the shower and wearing socks to bed (nothing works better for this either). I also mix it with my lotion and during the winter, mix a little with my moisturizer before I put on my makeup, it makes it blend better imo. I also use it interchangeably or with my night cream, especially on my eyes. And it works very well for hands, especially during the cold winters where I live. I do prefer the tube, although you get less for your money, but I have both and usually keep a tube in my backpack or purse and the jars at home. I also have the mini-tubes. /obsessed.
I guess this has been called glorified vaseline, so I must say that if I can buy a cheap version of a product, I do, no question. This is not one of them. Aquaphor has healing powers with which vaseline cannot compare. Besides, it's a family tradition. A must-have, an HG staple for me, for life.

on 12/15/2007 10:54:00 PM

This product is the ONLY thing that calms down my eczmea without burning or stinging when I appy. It feels kind of gross when you apply it -very thick and goopy- and doesn't have the most pleasing appearance -very shiny- so I only use it at night. The trick for me is to apply a thick layer of it and let it sink in overnight, then I gently exfoliate with a soft warm washcloth and it gets all the dried up skin off without hurting. It's also great if you overtreat a breakout and get a dried up patch. I would not recomend this as a general all over moisturizer but more of a spot treatment for extremely dry skin.

on 12/15/2007 5:50:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I lucked into a couple of sample-size tubes of Aquaphor, so they didn't cost me anything, and I really dig it for lip balm. It provides cooling moisture without burning my lips with peppermint. Also good for hands and nails in dry weather. I like that I can opt for a tube rather than a jar I have to stick my fingers into. And it lasts a long time; I will buy it again if I ever use up the samples I have!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Aquaphor, beloved Aquaphor, why must you defy analysis? When I look at the ingredients, they are deceptively simple: petrolatum & mineral oil, lanolin, glycerin, and a few botanicals for show. Why should I pay $8 a tube for that?!? Why? I shall tell you, fellow makeup mavens: Because Aquaphor is the closest thing to a miracle-in-a-tube I will ever own. I have two tubes of it, one in my backpack and one on my dresser. It is my winter lip treatment, my nighttime facial moisturizer, the only thing that works on my cracked hands.

For those who say it is glorified Vaseline, let me say that (theoretically) I agree. I actually bought a tub of Vaseline to see what the difference is. Guess what-- it didn't heal my hands and lips the same way, and it broke my skin out. Is it that Aquaphor uses a purer form of petrolatum, one that is odorless and colorless? Or that it's only 41% petrolatum? Or that it has the other stuff in it?

These are questions for dermatologists with free time. Suffice it to say, I am an Aquaphor devotee and have no need to try anything more expensive (even though I have *cough* Arden 8-hour Cream *cough* Clinique DDML)

P.S. The tub is the cheapest way to buy this, but if you're like me and insist on a tube, you should know that the Baby version of Aquaphor (which is the exact same thing just marketed for babies, and in the baby care aisle) is more cost-effective than the 1.75 oz. tube that's sold with the other Aquaphor. The baby tube has nearly twice as much, but doesn't cost twice as much.

This ointment works amazingly for dry hands, lips, and feet! I usually only use it at night because of its greasiness, but other than that, I have no complaints! It works for me every time and is a staple in my house!

on 12/11/2007 4:09:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have to say, I am very surprised by this product. I keep lip balm sticks everywhere - at my desk, in my purse, in the bathroom, in the car - wherever I think I'm going to be, I have balm. Despite having lip balm everywhere and applying it many times a day, I used to have constantly chapped lips. Note the words "used to". No more, because I bought a couple of the lip-balm sized tubes of Aquaphor for under five bucks. I bought this after reading about how great it was, and I have to admit, I was pretty disappointed after I looked at the ingredients. The main ingredient is petrolatum (Vaseline), followed by a couple of others (Mineral Oil, Ceresin, Lanolin Alcohol, Panthenol, Glycerin, Bisabolol). I thought to myself - great, this isn't going to do squat, it's just Vaseline!. Well, a few weeks of using this nightly, I have to eat my words! This isn't just plain Jane Vaseline - this stuff really works to cure my chapped lips, and the effect is pretty much immediate! This is really the most effective product I've used to heal my chapped lips. Will repurchase forever. I am thinking of also picking up the large tubes of this stuff to use on my feet at night, too. Heck, maybe all over my body at some point. The only thing about this is that it does seem a bit pricey considering most of it is Vaseline, but I guess Eucerin can charge whatever they like if a product actually works! I think I may have found one of my very few HGs.

on 12/11/2007 3:51:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have to say, I am very surprised by this product. Like the previous reviewer, I have lip balm sticks everywhere - at my desk, in my purse, in the bathroom, in the car - wherever I think I'm going to be, I have balm. Despite having lip balm everywhere and applying it many times a day, I used to have constantly chapped lips. Note the words "used to". No more, because I bought a couple of the lip-balm sized tubes of Aquaphor for under five bucks. I bought this after reading about how great it was, and I have to admit, I was pretty disappointed after I looked at the ingredients. The main ingredient is petrolatum (Vaseline), followed by a couple of others (Mineral Oil, Ceresin, Lanolin Alcohol, Panthenol, Glycerin, Bisabolol). I thought to myself - great, this isn't going to do squat, it's just Vaseline!. Well, a few weeks of using this nightly, I have to eat my words! This isn't just plain Jane Vaseline - this stuff really works to cure my chapped lips, and the effect is pretty much immediate! This is really the most effective product I've used to heal my chapped lips. Will repurchase forever. I am thinking of also picking up the large tubes of this stuff to use on my feet at night, too. Heck, maybe all over my body at some point. The only thing about this is that it does seem a bit pricey considering most of it is Vaseline, but I guess Eucerin can charge whatever they like if a product actually works! I think I may have found one of my very few HGs.

on 12/9/2007 11:47:00 PM

I am a lip balm junkie - can't get enough of it. I probably have 20 tubes of it at any one time sitting in purses, the bathroom, car, desk, etc. I have Aquaphor at my bedside table and prefer this during the winter months when my skin is DRY. It is nice and thick, very emollient. Highly recommended for chapped, dry skin. If I am stranded on a desert island, I definitely want this by my side!