MAC Paint Pot in Painterly

4.3

Isodocecane, dimethicone, polyethylene, hydrogenated polyisobutene, quaternium-90 bentonite, dimethicone silylate, octyldodecanol, silica, trihydroxystearin, retinyl palmitate, tocopheryl acetate, lecithin, carnauba wax, propylene carbonate, triethoxycaprylylsilane. May contain: mica, titanium dioxide, iron oxides, bismuth oxychloride, blue 1 lake, carmine, chromium hydroxide green, chromium oxide greens ferric ferroxyanide, manganese violet, ultramarines, yellow 5 lake.

on 8/5/2009 1:15:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Easily blended & super smooth. Great natural color for a base. I really makes the shadow pop. Never creases if I don't sweat. It's still doesn't crease bad, but it definitely doesn't stay perfect if I'm sweating a lot during the workout. I usually wear it on the weekend & on days that I don't do strenuous cardio.

on 8/3/2009 9:28:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

The perfect neutral eye shadow base...soft, easy to blend texture.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I said I would buy this again, but it's more of a maybe. And it's more of a 3 1/2 than 3.

Pros:
- It's an exact match for my skin shade (NC20, Asian/yellow undertones), so when I put it on, it doesn't discolor my eyes at all nor does it really change the color of my eyeshadow (other than bring out the actual color).
- Creamy, lovely consistency. I lightly dab my ring finger in the pot and smooth on a very thin layer on top of UDPP.
- A LOT of product. I just started using this and I can see I won't make a dent in it anytime soon. This may turn into a con if it goes bad before I get through even half of it - will update if that happens.

Cons:
- Like I said, it works OK. It's not amazing or groundbreaking for me. UDPP is my HG staple and keeps my eyeshadow on my oily lids for an amazing amount of hours. When I pair UDPP with Painterly, I can't quite tell if it makes a huge amount of difference (maybe prevents creasing for an additional hour or two) but I know it definitely doesn't make things worse. Also, it doesn't work well WITHOUT UDPP. Just Painterly alone will have my eyeshadow and liner crease within a matter of hours, which is still better than just plain eyeshadow and liner (without any kind of base it will crease within the first 30 minutes!).

All in all, I'm on the fence. It doesn't improve my makeup enough to justify the price and the huge pot, but it's still a decent product and I will see after I finish this one if I want to repurchase.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I love paint pots! They blend easily into the skin and other eyeshadows - creams and powders. They do not crease and stays put all day. This colour I use as a base for other colours, or alone to look awake. It blends well with my skin colour (NC15).

on 8/1/2009 2:26:00 AM

my first paintpot, but im not too impressed with this. it feels dry and hard to blend out.. ): i really wanted to love it but i'd say i prefer TFSI over this still. not sure if i'll repurchase this.

on 7/28/2009 1:33:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I wanted something that was a 1-step eyecolor to swipe on and go, and I wanted something lighter than my skintone. Painterly actually was darker and more peacy/orange than my skin and I didn't care for it. It also was very thick and sticky and hard to blend. Might work as a base under other shadows for someone with a darker skintone.

on 7/27/2009 4:30:00 PM

This has HG status for me. I couldn't do without it. It functions as a great eyeshadow base but is also pretty on its own....it doesn't crease and sometimes I'll just wear this alone with some mascara. A nice, polished no-makeup look. Love it!

on 7/27/2009 3:12:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I love this paint pot. I was using the Urban Decay primer potion and eventually I would have to cut it open to move the product in a jar.... You ladies know what I mean. lol

This is a great primer and looks great with all my looks from pinks/pruples to neutral shadows. I reccomend this- and you wouldn't have to cut into anything.... Oh ya, my shadows never crease with this on.

on 7/24/2009 11:09:00 PM

I love the silkiness of this product. I never get creasing or clumping in my eyeshadow. And it helps it stay all day long.
And unlike UDPP i can use ever little bit without having to cut up the container.

I am a makeup artist, and I have to say...these are amazing! I started using them about a year ago, and I keep finding new ways to use them. I always use either Painterly or Soft Ochre as an eye shadow base, or to just even out the lid area. Painterly is also perfect for under eye circles, as it has a pink undertone which cancels out dark blue or green hues present. These actually work good as a lip eraser too. Mac Pro makes a lip erase cream, but I prefer to use paint pots, they're buildable (so you don't get concealer lips) and look more natural. Make sure to exfoliate your lips first, then apply with your finger tip to warm up the product, let dry for a few minutes, then apply lipstick or gloss overtop. It stays put all day. Sometimes I also use Soft Ochre as a concealer (i'm NC15-NC20).