April 17, 2014 | 1067 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Paint Pot in Painterly

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/15/2009 1:10:00 PM More reviews by Iammelody

I use these as replacements for my UDPP (I don't have access and I can't keep paying for shipping).
Painterly is an exact color match to my skin, so it evens out the tone on my lids. As for lasting power, its decent on my oily lids. Not quite as long lasting as UDPP but long enough to get me through work. I find Bare Study lasts longer.
Its smooth,easy to work with and blends like a dream.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/14/2009 2:01:00 AM More reviews by paperskies

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

I had been using the NYX Jumbo Pencils as a base for my shadow. It'd crease and look like a mess by the end of the night. I decided to try the Mac Paint Pots because I've heard great things about their staying power and how they handle creasing. My lids are a little oily and I haven't experienced ANY creasing. I had cried quite a bit earlier and the eyeshadow hadn't moved at all. I'm amazed and I'll absolutely be picking up more of these. I love their consistency and color. Painterly completely evens out my lid and provides a great base for all of my eyeshadows. I only wish they were cheaper. But because these work so well, I don't mind as much.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/10/2009 3:11:00 AM More reviews by mule84

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I purchased this recently to use as a primer. I've had trouble in the past with shadows losing their intensity over the course of a night out. They wouldn't crease, they'd just kind of slowly disappear. I've used painterly under all eyeshadow since purchase and I love it. It evens out my lid colour and my eyeshadow clings to it like nothing else. My eyes look just as good at the end of the night/day as they did at the beginning. No problem with creasing at all like some other people have mentioned. I have no issue with the packaging at present, but once it gets below the rim it may be difficult to access the product easily.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/23/2009 7:43:00 PM More reviews by Remykat

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

I use this as a primer for my powder shadow, and it's great. It gives a neutral backdrop and manages creasing pretty well (although if you get really slick lids, you'll want to do a primer). For a natural look, I'll do this shade and a bit of powder as liner, and that's it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/23/2009 7:33:00 PM More reviews by rinstarangel

This is my favorite paint pot. I have oily eyes that are somewhat deep set, so I still have to use a primer (UDPP). However, using a primer alone doesn't work for me. But combined with Painterly, my shadows last ALL day WITHOUT creasing! Love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/23/2009 7:22:00 PM More reviews by bellavita

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I use Painterly Paint Pot as a primer for my eyshadow. It was recommended to me by the MAC rep and I absolutely LOVE it. I apply this with my ring finger and pat it on my eyelids and then apply my eyeshadows as normal. This does keep the color on all day and doesn't alter my eyeshadow colors in any way. By using Painterly Paint Pot I don't even need to touch up if I'm heading out after work. Works great for all day wear and also during the hot Texas summers.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/21/2009 7:53:00 PM More reviews by Flo422

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

The color itself is a great base if you're doing a neutral or even a smokey eye (I usually do brown). Even thought it's a little dark of a shade for my skintone (I'm an NW 20), it looks okay under any eyeshadow. As a primer, it does a good job. I prefer my TFSI to prevent creasing - it blends a lot better, looks less obvious and stays on longer. I apply painterly paint pot when I'm late in the morning. I prefer dipping my *clean* finger in the pot than using a brush because it's a lot easier to blend and apply evenly. If you prefer using a brush, MAC's 217 is the way to go. When I have very dark circles, I usually apply a thin coat of painterly paint pot over my concealer (yes, it looks all right!). My concealer lasts the whole day that way and the coverage is excellent. Watch Enkore's video if you wonder how to use painterly paint pot to cover up dark circles.

*** EDIT: I use this a lot more often than I used to, even more often than my TFSI. It applies super fast, dries really quickly and doesn't need to me blended a whole lot. I still use my *clean* finger. This pot will last me forever, though I use it all the time. Plus, it doesn't seem to dry out :)

rated 5 of 5 on 4/18/2009 8:26:00 PM More reviews by elphaba98

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've had this product for a while now and I have to say...I'm loving it!!!! It's a staple in my morning routine. My makeup goes on about 6 am and when I go to take it off before bed (around 11) it's still there! I do use a brush to apply it...I'm not a fan of using my finger to apply makeup...and it works great! I haven't tried UDPP or TFSI so I'm not able to say if it's better than either of those products. I didn't find it outrageously expensive...in Canada it sells for $20 and I would certainly buy again!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/17/2009 10:10:00 PM More reviews by Rholynn

Somehow I can't make myself wear mac paint pots as a primer or base without having two face's eyeshadow insurance underneath it..for me, i feel more comfortable that the paint pot isn't or my shadows won't be slipping and sliding.

That being said, I love wearing painterly under my nudies and neutrals... I don't think it makes much of a difference in color nor does it make the color pop but for some reason I just really like wearing it....

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/11/2009 3:37:00 PM More reviews by marvin1

I like the idea of a product that is supposed to act as both a primer and a base colour. However, because the texture was so thick, it was very difficult to spread onto my eyelids without tugging on them, and it was difficult to get a thin layer. Therefore, my lids looked cakey. It did even out my eyelid colour, but it is a little too red for that (I'm a NC 25 for reference). It felt heavy on my lids and made them droop by the end of the day. If I need a base colour and primer, I find that TFSI + a dab of my conceler or liquid foundation does the job a lot better. Will not be purchasing again.