MAC Paint Pot in Painterly

4.3

Isodocecane, dimethicone, polyethylene, hydrogenated polyisobutene, quaternium-90 bentonite, dimethicone silylate, octyldodecanol, silica, trihydroxystearin, retinyl palmitate, tocopheryl acetate, lecithin, carnauba wax, propylene carbonate, triethoxycaprylylsilane. May contain: mica, titanium dioxide, iron oxides, bismuth oxychloride, blue 1 lake, carmine, chromium hydroxide green, chromium oxide greens ferric ferroxyanide, manganese violet, ultramarines, yellow 5 lake.

on 9/13/2009 11:29:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse

This is the perfect base to start your eye make up with

on 9/12/2009 5:36:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I'm Asian with an olive-toned NC25-ish complexion and Painterly was a bit too pink for my preference. Soft Ochre turned out to be much too yellow so I mixed equal parts of both for the perfect base color--not too yellow and not too pink. My custom-blended shade is absolutely gorgeous. Paint Pots have quite an opaque finish and a very matte finish that makes it an ideal eye base.

Unfortunately, Paint Pots crease on me. It's not the Paint Pots' fault though. I have heavy monolids so pretty much everything that touches my lids crease, which is too bad because I love my custom-mixed Paint Pots shade. Did I mention that it's the perfect base shade for me? Really brightens up my eyes and neutralizes all discoloration. Much as I love UDPP, it doesn't have any actual coverage so I always have to use a powder shadow like MAC Brule to neutralize the redness in my lids before I can apply the rest of my eye makeup.

Paint Pots don't crease nearly as badly when worn over UDPP and in cooler, drier weather. Just keep in mind that you need to use the tiniest bit of Paint Pot if you're going to use it as a base over UDPP or it will look like spackle and make powder shadow nearly impossible to blend. You also don't need much Paint Pot since it's so opaque. Less is better and I find that patting it on my lids gives me better and easier application than using a brush. I mix enough Paint Pot to fit into a 5 gram sample jar, but even if you use Painterly straight, I recommend decanting a little into a small sample jar so the main jar stays fresher longer. I also recommend mixing Painterly and Soft Ochre if, like me, you find Painterly a touch too pink and/or Soft Ochre too yellow.

on 9/9/2009 9:19:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

This is definitely a great eyeshadow base .. which color wise is about the only thing I can use this for. I'm still ultimately prefer the paints purely based on ease of application with the squeeze tubes (no digging into a pot to get the product) and it seems like with the paints, I have to use less. Painterly however is outstanding to use as a base. It brightens my whole eye area, blends wonderfully and really anchors my shadows well. This is basically the paint pot version of Untitled paint. I think just about anyone would be able to use this because it's completely neutral. Great addition to my collection!!

on 9/9/2009 9:06:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Other, Medium

I went to Nordstrom looking for an eye primer that is just as good or better than my urban D primer. The UDPP is just plain annoying with that stupid bottle it's in that keeps half the primer in there and that wond that wastes the primer. The lady at the Mac Counter (whom was extremely helpful and nice) suggested this. She said she likes it better than the UDPP. But then again so did the lady at Merle Norman who sold me their crappy eye primer. So I wasn't sure if she was trust worthy with saying that or not. But I went ahead and bought it anyway. It's a couple dollars cheaper, at about $16. UDPP is over $18. and it comes with a ton more.

I liked this primer. It isn't as good as the UDPP, but it's pretty close. As close as you're going to get. It lasts all day. It spreads good. Gives better coverage; evening my skin tone. It's smooth. Not drying. My eye shadow goes on great and lasts longer. Fading does acure with this primer, but it's not so bad that it's a deal breaker. I just love this. Great product.

on 9/8/2009 5:53:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I just bought this today! After applying this with my finger, I feel as though its already doing wonders! My eyeshadow definitely shows more vibrantly, and it evens out my eyelids' skintone. After reading reviews between soft ochre and painterly I think soft ochre would have been a better pick. But then I realized painterly would be a better choice for me in winter as we all get the cold season tan, and soft ochre would be better for summer since summer goldens/tans us up anyways. I'm a nc30 and right now since its summer I should've gone for soft ochre, but painterly does the job good for now! I can always go back and purchase soft ochre anyway right? Thumbs up for paint pots!

on 9/8/2009 9:42:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

I am African-American and I use this to brighten my eyeshadows. I love it. It does look white on my lids but I'm covering it up so it doesn't matter. It works well and keeps my shadows on for a long time. I like it better than NYX Jumbo Pencil in Milk.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

OMG so i love this paint pot. at first i bought the paint pot in bare study, went home and tried it on, it was SOOOOO dry i could barely get any on my fingers, so after a few tries i finally got some on my lids and it was sooo hard to spread so the next day i went back to MAC and got it in painterly. am i glad i got it or not. i tried it on, it evens out the tones on my lid and my eyeshadow looks so nice on :) it stayed for about 12 hours today since i got up at 10 and did my make up and it still looked like i just put it on 12 hours later :) LOVEE IT it's so creamy too .. i'm sooo replacing this with my UDPP (which i don't like as much anymore ) it spreads so much better and a lot creamier than my UDPP. would def. repurchase once i run out.

on 9/2/2009 2:59:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

Best eyeshadow primer/base I've ever used, hands-down. MAC eye products (eye shadows, Fluidline liner, etc.).usually irritate my eyes, causing them to water profusely. It's a real bummer since I'm a MAC lover for the most part. Bought a sample of Painterly Paint Pot from Makeup Geek since Marlena highly recommends the product in her tutorials. If I use a small amount on my lids, it doesn't cause irritation. I always go for the Painterly Paint Pot for those nights out on the town. It makes a smooth surface for makeup application and locks my shadow and liner in place for the entire night and into morning. The Painterly shade blends perfectly with my skin tone, too. For daytime, I prime my lids with Too Faced Shadow Insurance. It's a tad less expensive than the MAC Paint Pots. Don't quote me on that, though. A little of this product goes a long way. I highly recommend!

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

I've brought this the other day and i feel that i can write a review. I love this paintpot. This is my second paintpot after buying Bare study a couple of months ago. I found Bare Study wasnt the greatest base for my eyeshadow but stuck to it anyway just to give it a good try, but i decided to by Painterly for a very neutral look when i go back to school and tried it today, well its great. Its more more "Tacky" then bare study which really helps my eyeshadow stick and stay in place. I thought it was the perfect base....untill i faded. I think its because i have very oily lids but this stuff and my eyeshadow faded within a couple of hours and even my fluidline was gone! I was so disapointed because i really wanted to it to work good for me. But i'm gonna try it with UDPP underneath and see what happens. Other then that its a great product
EDIT: Tried this today over UDPP. Stayed in place all day!!.

on 8/30/2009 4:37:00 PM

Paint pot in paintrly ---

I love this mac paintpot , its amazing .. even if you are using it as a primer its awesome . It takes along time for this to crease. The texture Is okay i guess it could be worse but it could be better. The color pay off is really good it just makes your eyelid even.

The packaging is really good .. but I cant say i dont like the pot because i dont like any pots , i use my finger to apply the product but, i have longer nails and when i get down on my paint pots to get the product i have to basicly poke my hole finger in the pot and then after i get what i want , under nealth my finger nail is full of paint pot.

I understand that alot of people dont like this product ... well from the reviews on here ..

but overall i love this product and i defently will buy it again.

Popular Eye Shadows