Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (All brands)

4.5

Cocos nucifera

on 4/6/2009 11:41:00 PM

I am so grateful I found the MUA reviews for this, and ran out to buy it. This has transformed my hair more than ANY other product I've ever used. Let me add, I worked in a salon for 2 years and tried nearly every single product in the entire store and this works better than ANY of them.

I have waist legnth, wavy hair. It will be curly for me if I scrunch it, it will be straight for me if I blowdry. Natural state is wavy/poufy. I get lots of compliments when I wear it curly but it always took a lot of work.

Gel, mousse, anti-frizz creme, hairspray, scrunch-scrunch-scrunch - head upside down for half an hour while I loaded gallons of product into my hair. The results were curls, but they were stiff curls, and they'd mostly fall out by the next morning.

What I discovered using Spectrum's Cold Pressed Coconut Oil was quite by accident: I'd just had a shower, and got unexpected company. My hair was wet, only time to towel dry, no time to blow dry. So, I looked around in a rush and grabbed the jar of Coconut Oil on my sink (having just bought it the night before, never tried it) I didn't know what was going to happen but didn't want my hair air drying into frizzy waves. I warmed about a teaspoon of the oil in my palm (that seems like a lot but I have very thick, very dry, waist legnth hair) and *scrunched* it into my damp hair and went about my business. I noticed my hair slowly drying into well defined spirals. WTF? This stuff seemed to encourage my hair to actually curl up on its own.

I experimented next time I washed when I had time, put about 2 teaspoons this time, total, onto damp hair, scrunched and blowdried while adding a bit more at a time and when I flipped my head over I nearly fainted. Beautiful, well defined spiral/ringlet curls that were soft to the touch and non-greasy. I'd never seen my hair look so beautiful and with only ONE product on it.

Needless to say this is all I put on my hair now when I go curly (finish off with a little hairspray for holding power). It's simplified my routine AND when I wash my hair, it's never been softer, shiner or more manageable when I'm not going curly.
I got a large mayo-sized jar at Publix for $9 and plan to repurchase again and again.

When paired with the curly hair technique "plopping" (you may want to Google that term, it's worth it) my hair is so curly that it literally shrinks up about 6 or 7 inches - and stays that way - none of the dreaded "fall out" that I got with using products like gel and mousse. I can't say that everyone with wavy/curly hair will get this result as everyone's hair reacts differently but mine LOVES this stuff.

In fact, my hair has started wanting to curl up on its own when I get out of the shower now before I can even towel dry or get a chance to scrunch the curls in. It's like my hair was so dry before it didn't want to curl, but now that it's moisturized and soft it wants to curl up and behave! :)

on 3/17/2009 9:53:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is one of the best all over body lotions I have used. It makes your skin look so healthy and feels great. I also use it at night on my feet with cotton socks. I love it as a night cream. It is one of the best moisturizer available and it does not break me out either. Try it you will like it!

on 3/17/2009 9:24:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I bought a 16 ounce jar of extra virgin coconut oil at the Vitamin Shoppe for about $12. I read the reviews for coconut oil here and knew I needed to give it a try. Since I bought it, I have used coconut oil on my hair, skin, and face.

For my hair, I put coconut oil all over my hair except for the roots. I leave it on for however long I have, sometimes a few hours, sometimes overnight. I wash it out with a clarifying shampoo and then condition as normal. Although the coconut oil does not make an immediate or drastic difference, after using it once or twice a week for a few weeks, I could tell my hair was in better shape. It was thicker, shinier, and more moisturized. I highly recommend

I use coconut oil on my skin too. I have really dry legs and I always have problems with them itching and looking very scaly. I apply coconut oil to them when I'm still wet from the shower and it absorbs well. I have to apply it to damp skin though, otherwise I'm gross and greasy all day. But applied to damp skin, coconut oil makes me so much softer than any lotion I have ever tried. The only downside is that I smell slightly like coconut (which I hate) but it does seem to fade after a few minutes.

I've also used coconut oil to remove my makeup, moisturizer my eye area, and treat any eczema patches. It worked great on them all. I highly recommend coconut oil. It's great, cheap, all natural, and highly versatile. What else could you want from a product?
continued >>

on 3/16/2009 6:36:00 PM

This is a miracle in a jar! I use it for SOOoooOOoo many things.

Pre shampoo you can slick your hair with it, wait a little while, then shampoo out. You can also use it as an amazing moisturizer on your face. You can even cook with it, and it helps you lose weight. No, seriously. It's amazing.

on 3/15/2009 2:33:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Other

I don't know what id do without my coconut oil! I use this for so many things. I love it as a body moisturizer. I have a beauty mark on my shoulder that had started to change shape and wasn't flat anymore (this was about a week before I started to use coconut oil on my body). But like, I started using coconut oil all over my body, including my shoulder, and about, a week later I realized the beauty mark was almost back to normal :O
I continued using the coconut oil and about 3 days later, it was completely back to normal. Sweeeeet!
Other than helping me with that, its the best body moisturizer. Expensive body creams? Expensiver (not a word but whateva) body butters? Fuggetaboutit!
Coconut oil sinks right in a leaves my skin so soft and smelling exotic, ahhhh. I use organic, extra virgin oil.

on 3/13/2009 9:30:00 AM

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I use this with coco butter for great conditioning and a glowy sheen on my legs. Love it. Awesome for my hair, it saves so much money. You won't be disappointed.. I'll just ditto what everyone else has said about it.

on 3/12/2009 3:19:00 PM

Coconut oil for eye lashes /brows: did anyone ever try putting this on your lashes or brows? I've heard that it thickens and in some cases lenghthens your lashes? I've just started a few days ago so do not have anything to report. But I know its' really really great for hair. I happen to work with a girl from Fiji and she and her sisters have been using it on their hair and they happen to have beautiful gorgeous hair!
So I thought if it works on hair, it should work on eye lashes. Please send your comments and results if you have tried this. thanks much

on 3/7/2009 5:47:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I have used it once so far.It seems to be the best hair conditioner I have ever used.I used it as a pre-poo,for an hour or two.My frizzy hair is so soft now,than 9months ago(this is when I went to the hairdresser the last time,to have my dry ends cut.)Ok,well I should have them cut again,but I'd like a nice long hair,so I don't want to go to the hairdresser often.
Coconut oil helps a lot.I have used the refined pure coconut oil,which was great for the hair shaft,and good for my scalp.I've bought the organic virgin at a heath food store today,so that must work better for my scalp I guess.I'll update the post later.
By the way,it doesn't darken my natural blonde hair,which is great.
I never know why,but some shampoos and hair products make it darker,some make it lighter.

On my third jar of Spectrum brand UNREFINED coconut oil. I get my jar at Raley's for $7.
So many uses! I use it for cooking, removing make-up, rinsing out henna, as a leave-in conditioner or in a hair mask, as an uberlotion for at night on my feet, and TMI alert: also as a secksitime lubricant^^
One jar lasts me several months, and smells so good (tastes good too)! I don't break out from this (though I have used OCM a few years now) and it is the best conditioner I've ever found. This is an HG staple, I'll never be without it.

on 2/24/2009 2:44:00 PM

I recently bought this product after reading all the 5-star reviews. I bought the Now Foods product from the Iherb site for about $10. I have used it for my hair, slather it on and leave for a few hours before washing and conditioning and my hair gets a lot straighter when I flat iron. As far as for the body, I mix it with a cheap lotion (about 1/3 cup coconut oil per 16 oz of lotion) and my skin is soft and moisturized. I even put it on my face and have had no problems with break outs. I love how my skin feels dewy after I put this on. I read somewhere that you could add this to your body wash and not need lotion after your bath, but I haven't tried that yet. I would recommend that every woman that cares for her skin would try this miracle product and see the difference in hair and skin, themselves.

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products