December 19, 2014 | 1551 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/13/2008 5:59:00 PM More reviews by 245am

i love my extra virgin coconut oil! i have the nutiva kind, it only costs me $10 and it's the best money well spent. i use it to remove my makeup, for my skin, for my hair...i need to get a new jar for eating, as i don't want to use the same jar i dip my hands in for my hair as i do for eating!

it is hands down the BEST makeup remover ever, removes those stubborn waterproof formulas and leaves no trace of liner. usually i just dip my fingers in the jar, get a little and spread all over each eye then gently wipe off with a tissue. i think it has helped revitalize and nourish my eyelashes as well, as my eyelashes have been curling very very well! last trip that i went home, i used some MU remover i had left in my bathroom and it sucked so bad! it's great on skin to hydrate, i've been using it instead of my usual cetaphil cream. i believe it has helped my KP aka chicken skin and my skin is smoother and is not as dry.

as for hair, i like to use the EVCO once a week as a treatment. i just slather it on all over my head and on my dry scalp to help it (i just moved to the east coast and this island girl is totally not used to it!!), tie it up in a ponytail and leave it alone for an hour. my bf likes to laugh at me when i do this, because my hair looks so greasy. then i shower and shampoo as normal, somtimes i'll also do an ACV rinse with my conditioner and that helps so i don't have to shampoo twice to get all the residue out. the result is soft, bouncy hair that feels healthy and nice to touch.

everyone should get EVCO, i haven't used it on my face, i think i'm too scared to, plus i have tons of skincare that i'd rather use up instead. i love my coconut oil, and ingesting a couple tbsp a day will make your skin glow from within and keep you healthy. defintitely recommend it to everyone!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/26/2008 3:17:00 AM More reviews by xTKOx

I LOVE coconut oil! I use it for nearly everything. I remove makeup with it, use it as a conditioner, shave cream, moisturizer, hand and cuticle cream. Everywhere I use it, it leaves me softer and smoother than before. Only downside is that my dogs always want to lick it off of me when I use it as a lotion, lol.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/24/2008 12:36:00 AM More reviews by tanveer

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Pros: hair is nourished from deep within as coconut oil is more penetrative than any other oil due to its low molecular weight, leaves hair soft, shiny,smells heavenly, actually reduces hair fall and dandruff.. can be used as base oil with rosemary and walnut essential oils. It is even excellent for the skin as it absorbs instantly, but it can be drying. Coconut Milk Oil is better for use on the skin..

Cons: cannot be used as a leave in conditioner, requires tons of shampoo to wash it off..

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/23/2008 11:26:00 PM More reviews by ToxicBailey

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Coconut oil is my absolute favorite deep-conditioning hair treatment, EVER. I always slather a big amount in my hair & scalp, and leave it overnight when I plan to shower in the morning.
I can tell the difference immediately after I shampoo- my hair is noticeably smoother & softer. After using my normal conditioner & hair products and letting it air-dry, my hair is improved - BIG TIME. Softer, smoother, moisturized, and split ends aren't as noticeable.
I've tried tons of the deep conditioners that you use in the shower, but nothing even comes close to Coconut oil.
I've also started using this as a cuticle oil and it works GREAT!
I strongly recommend this!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/18/2008 2:41:00 AM More reviews by staci01

Recently bought a jar of refined coconut oil, by Spectrum, after reading about the benefits of it for a couple years. Not tried it on my hair or face but I used it on my hands the other night before bed. My hands had cracked and were bleeding in some spots so I slathered some on. The next morning the cracks had softened and were healing and now after a couple days use my hands look back to normal. Great stuff (!) and to think I've been walking past this stuff a million times at the grocery store! UPDATE 4/4/11 Been using this, this time organic raw unrefined coconut oil, on my face as a moisturizer the past couple of weeks and I can say that it's working out great! As a moisturizer it gets along well with my moody skin and heals up and reduces any redness I have when it comes to blemishes. This stuff sinks in pretty quick and doesn't leave my skin looking greasy but leaves a nice slight glow. Does not clog my pores as it seems to be close to the same oil as the skin produces. The thing I'm over the moon about is that I NO LONGER HAVE TO USE PONDS OR BABY OIL (!!!!) to get my waterproof makeup off! YAY! The only reason I kept using Ponds and baby oil was because no other natural makeup remover worked like it said it would on waterproof makeup. I wear L'Oreal Voluminous waterproof mascara and it's like cement in a good way. Only problem is that I need a mineral oil based makeup remover to get it off. Well lo and behold I read an article the other day that unrefined coconut oil gets waterproof makeup off. I didn't believe it since I'd read that various other oils removed waterproof makeup,like evoo and jojoba, and when I tried those they did nothing. I was over the moon that when I tried raw unrefined coconut oil that it completely removed my Voluminous mascara! I'm SO happy! I did not like that I had to use mineral oil and the Ponds cold cream that's filled with various chemicals to get my waterproof makeup off. Now I have a natural product that works just as well and as a bonus it's anti germ and extremely moisturizing and beneficial to the skin and,again, it doesn't break my moody skin out! So goodbye to Ponds and Johnson & Johnson baby oil! Also I have to mention that I always wash my face again after using makeup remover as my skin has to semi squeak or it'll break out. I also use unrefined coconut oil on my legs after I shave and it makes them baby soft and I don't get red or irritated bumps/skin. Please keep in mind that you want unrefined organic, and if you can find it raw, coconut oil because it's not stripped of it's beneficial properties. Did I mention it tastes great too? I make raw cookies using raw non sugared shredded coconut,coconut oil and cocoa powder with other ingredients to make cookies that are healthy and are a nice PMS cravings treat. Sometimes I add a teaspoon of it to my coffee to give it a hint of coconut flavor and richness from the coconut fat. Really a wonderful multi purpose product! I'd give it a 10 if I could!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/4/2008 10:21:00 AM More reviews by veronicakeith

I decided to purchase a tub of Virgin Coconut Oil from GNC after reading the wonderful reviews on MUA. I use this as a deep conditioning treatment on my color treated hair. My ends are smooth and shiny, and my hair has never looked better! I also use it on chapped lips, on my hands before bed as a night treatment, and as a makeup remover before washing my face. My eyelashes look so nice and conditioned now! It is a great versatile beauty product, and you can feel good about it bacause you know exactly what you are putting on your body and it's all natural!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/24/2008 5:21:00 PM More reviews by silverylotus

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

After reading it so much MUA and doing some additional research on my own on the internet, I finally bought a tub of coconut oil for my split-end prone hair last week. I have super-fine hair and up until a few years ago, I was obsessed with changing my hair color every few months. So naturally, I am also obsessed with deep conditioning treatment for my hair. I have tried many dept store brands, Fekkai, Keratease, Khiels, Shiseido Tsubaki, etc. My all-time favorite is definitely Fekkai and Shiseido Tsubaki, but they don't come cheap.

I have only used coconut oil twice, but I am hooked. I used it as a pre-treatment. I slather the oil onto the hair past my ears (maybe more than enough but I want to make sure all my hair is saturated with the coconut oil). Put it into a bun for a few hours and shampoo and conditioner as normal. I just used Head & Shoulder 2 in 1 shampoo. I avoided using any fancy shampoo or conditioner, because I wanted to see the effect.

The results was AMAZING. My hair was not at all greasy, but soft and clean comparable to the Fekkai shea butter conditioning treatment I use. I will definitely keep buying coconut oil as treatment for my hair, but I think my tub of oil will last me a long time. BTW, I am using Nature's Way Efa Gold Pure Extra Virigin Coconut Oil I bought on Ebay.

***Update on 11/24/08 ~ I have been using this as a pre-treatment every time I shampoo (about 3x a week). My hair is in great condition and I find that it has less split ends than before. No need to buy expensive hair treatments anymore, just use coconut oil!!

******Update on 05/29/09 ~ I am still using this. Only now I rub in a generous amount into my hair right before I sleep as an overnight treatment. I sleep on a towel so that it doesn't grease up my pillow case. But it really doesn't grease up all that much because my hair just soaks up the coconut oil. I am only 1/4 through with my original tub of coconut oil. The money you would spend on all the fancy name brand treatment, you should invest that for a hair trim every 6 week. This routine has kept my hair healthy and shinny.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/23/2008 4:45:00 AM More reviews by peasloveandhominy

I use coconut oil (the brand I use is Nutiva and I believe it is unrefined, but I am not 100% sure) for pretty much everything.

I cook with it on rare occasions (studies that said coconut oil was bad for you were based on super processed hydrogenated oil which is bad no matter what oil it is), use it on my body as a moisturizer and most often I use it as a hair treatment.

When I first used it, I experienced some drying from it. I was confused but I think it was the brand, because this brand seems do wonders for my hair. I put about a teaspoon in my hair (a little at a time). I melt a little bit between my palms and apply it like I would a leave-in conditioner. I don't do anything extra like put on a shower cap or leave it in overnight. I leave it on for 30 minutes to an hour and then rinse it out (I have to rinse about 3 times to get it out completely). The first day my hair looks a bit dry (from rinsing so much) but after 24 hours, my hair is like glass. I've never had such shine to my hair. It feels like silk and I get tons of compliments on it.

I have read that it might not be good for dyed hair, but I dye my hair and have had no issues with it. If anything I feel it keeps the color from fading fast.

For those who didn't like it for their hair, try finding a few recipes that use it or use it on your body. It's especially good on your feet. Apply some and then put socks on : leave them on overnight.

continued >>

rated 4 of 5 on 10/22/2008 12:11:00 AM More reviews by Kimmy3Girl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I had read so many rave review on MUA that I just had to give this a go. It's great to massage into your body. Moisturises well though I think it would be too oily to use for daytime. I would only put this on before bed or something. I tried it on my face. Used it for three nights but kinda freaked out with worry because even though I had read so many great (glowing skin!) reviews for this as a face moisturiser, I also read a lot of scary (broke out horribly, huge pimples, clogged pores- ahhh) reviews. It didn't do anything bad in the three nights, in fact my skin was lovely and soft I was just too worried as I have a few big events coming & can't afford crazy skin. So I have stopped using it on my face n now it's just strictly for body, eye makeup removal and as a hair treatment (I use it on dry hair, leave it on for an hour or so.Sometimes overnight, then shampoo & condition. just don't put too much in! Sometimes I use it to keep flyaways at bay, but only use a tiiiiny bit. definately no bigger than a finger nail, or else your hair will go stringy and will just look greasy. The only other downside is the jar it comes in. As I use more I can see it's going to be a problem as I get closer to the bottom. BUT definately a great product. A new staple for me. Heard so people eat some every day with some great benefits so I might look into that..
UPDATE: have started getting pimples on the back of my neck.. two are right at the hair line and I wonder if it's because of this? anyway I was using this overnight but might start to leave it on for just an hour or two on a sunday prehaps just in case. other than that, hair is still looking healthy and staying split end free atm!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/21/2008 2:32:00 PM More reviews by gingereg

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

EVCO has been one of the ONLY products that has completely gotten rid of those unsightly tiny bumps on the back of my arms. (The other product was a tube of $30 AHA body lotion that lasted less than a month.) For the price and quantity of product I will definitely stick with the EVCO. When I first got it I scooped some out with a spoon and put it in a smaller container (a small tub of some Sally Hansen foot scrub product that I had just finished off.) That was almost a year ago and I still haven't had to refill the small tub. A little bit goes a long way.
I have also used it as an eye make up removed-doesn't tug at sensitive skin and takes off my long lasting gel or creme eye liners.
I am going to try it in my hair this afternoon...we'll see how it goes...