October 24, 2014 | 1503 users online

Lotions/ Creams - EXTRA VIRGIN Coconut Oil (All brands)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/18/2008 2:41:00 AM More reviews by staci01

Recently bought a jar of refined coconut oil, by Spectrum, after reading about the benefits of it for a couple years. Not tried it on my hair or face but I used it on my hands the other night before bed. My hands had cracked and were bleeding in some spots so I slathered some on. The next morning the cracks had softened and were healing and now after a couple days use my hands look back to normal. Great stuff (!) and to think I've been walking past this stuff a million times at the grocery store! UPDATE 4/4/11 Been using this, this time organic raw unrefined coconut oil, on my face as a moisturizer the past couple of weeks and I can say that it's working out great! As a moisturizer it gets along well with my moody skin and heals up and reduces any redness I have when it comes to blemishes. This stuff sinks in pretty quick and doesn't leave my skin looking greasy but leaves a nice slight glow. Does not clog my pores as it seems to be close to the same oil as the skin produces. The thing I'm over the moon about is that I NO LONGER HAVE TO USE PONDS OR BABY OIL (!!!!) to get my waterproof makeup off! YAY! The only reason I kept using Ponds and baby oil was because no other natural makeup remover worked like it said it would on waterproof makeup. I wear L'Oreal Voluminous waterproof mascara and it's like cement in a good way. Only problem is that I need a mineral oil based makeup remover to get it off. Well lo and behold I read an article the other day that unrefined coconut oil gets waterproof makeup off. I didn't believe it since I'd read that various other oils removed waterproof makeup,like evoo and jojoba, and when I tried those they did nothing. I was over the moon that when I tried raw unrefined coconut oil that it completely removed my Voluminous mascara! I'm SO happy! I did not like that I had to use mineral oil and the Ponds cold cream that's filled with various chemicals to get my waterproof makeup off. Now I have a natural product that works just as well and as a bonus it's anti germ and extremely moisturizing and beneficial to the skin and,again, it doesn't break my moody skin out! So goodbye to Ponds and Johnson & Johnson baby oil! Also I have to mention that I always wash my face again after using makeup remover as my skin has to semi squeak or it'll break out. I also use unrefined coconut oil on my legs after I shave and it makes them baby soft and I don't get red or irritated bumps/skin. Please keep in mind that you want unrefined organic, and if you can find it raw, coconut oil because it's not stripped of it's beneficial properties. Did I mention it tastes great too? I make raw cookies using raw non sugared shredded coconut,coconut oil and cocoa powder with other ingredients to make cookies that are healthy and are a nice PMS cravings treat. Sometimes I add a teaspoon of it to my coffee to give it a hint of coconut flavor and richness from the coconut fat. Really a wonderful multi purpose product! I'd give it a 10 if I could!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/4/2008 10:21:00 AM More reviews by veronicakeith

I decided to purchase a tub of Virgin Coconut Oil from GNC after reading the wonderful reviews on MUA. I use this as a deep conditioning treatment on my color treated hair. My ends are smooth and shiny, and my hair has never looked better! I also use it on chapped lips, on my hands before bed as a night treatment, and as a makeup remover before washing my face. My eyelashes look so nice and conditioned now! It is a great versatile beauty product, and you can feel good about it bacause you know exactly what you are putting on your body and it's all natural!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/24/2008 5:21:00 PM More reviews by silverylotus

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

After reading it so much MUA and doing some additional research on my own on the internet, I finally bought a tub of coconut oil for my split-end prone hair last week. I have super-fine hair and up until a few years ago, I was obsessed with changing my hair color every few months. So naturally, I am also obsessed with deep conditioning treatment for my hair. I have tried many dept store brands, Fekkai, Keratease, Khiels, Shiseido Tsubaki, etc. My all-time favorite is definitely Fekkai and Shiseido Tsubaki, but they don't come cheap.

I have only used coconut oil twice, but I am hooked. I used it as a pre-treatment. I slather the oil onto the hair past my ears (maybe more than enough but I want to make sure all my hair is saturated with the coconut oil). Put it into a bun for a few hours and shampoo and conditioner as normal. I just used Head & Shoulder 2 in 1 shampoo. I avoided using any fancy shampoo or conditioner, because I wanted to see the effect.

The results was AMAZING. My hair was not at all greasy, but soft and clean comparable to the Fekkai shea butter conditioning treatment I use. I will definitely keep buying coconut oil as treatment for my hair, but I think my tub of oil will last me a long time. BTW, I am using Nature's Way Efa Gold Pure Extra Virigin Coconut Oil I bought on Ebay.

***Update on 11/24/08 ~ I have been using this as a pre-treatment every time I shampoo (about 3x a week). My hair is in great condition and I find that it has less split ends than before. No need to buy expensive hair treatments anymore, just use coconut oil!!

******Update on 05/29/09 ~ I am still using this. Only now I rub in a generous amount into my hair right before I sleep as an overnight treatment. I sleep on a towel so that it doesn't grease up my pillow case. But it really doesn't grease up all that much because my hair just soaks up the coconut oil. I am only 1/4 through with my original tub of coconut oil. The money you would spend on all the fancy name brand treatment, you should invest that for a hair trim every 6 week. This routine has kept my hair healthy and shinny.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/23/2008 4:45:00 AM More reviews by peasloveandhominy

I use coconut oil (the brand I use is Nutiva and I believe it is unrefined, but I am not 100% sure) for pretty much everything.

I cook with it on rare occasions (studies that said coconut oil was bad for you were based on super processed hydrogenated oil which is bad no matter what oil it is), use it on my body as a moisturizer and most often I use it as a hair treatment.

When I first used it, I experienced some drying from it. I was confused but I think it was the brand, because this brand seems do wonders for my hair. I put about a teaspoon in my hair (a little at a time). I melt a little bit between my palms and apply it like I would a leave-in conditioner. I don't do anything extra like put on a shower cap or leave it in overnight. I leave it on for 30 minutes to an hour and then rinse it out (I have to rinse about 3 times to get it out completely). The first day my hair looks a bit dry (from rinsing so much) but after 24 hours, my hair is like glass. I've never had such shine to my hair. It feels like silk and I get tons of compliments on it.

I have read that it might not be good for dyed hair, but I dye my hair and have had no issues with it. If anything I feel it keeps the color from fading fast.

For those who didn't like it for their hair, try finding a few recipes that use it or use it on your body. It's especially good on your feet. Apply some and then put socks on : leave them on overnight.

continued >>

rated 4 of 5 on 10/22/2008 12:11:00 AM More reviews by Kimmy3Girl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I had read so many rave review on MUA that I just had to give this a go. It's great to massage into your body. Moisturises well though I think it would be too oily to use for daytime. I would only put this on before bed or something. I tried it on my face. Used it for three nights but kinda freaked out with worry because even though I had read so many great (glowing skin!) reviews for this as a face moisturiser, I also read a lot of scary (broke out horribly, huge pimples, clogged pores- ahhh) reviews. It didn't do anything bad in the three nights, in fact my skin was lovely and soft I was just too worried as I have a few big events coming & can't afford crazy skin. So I have stopped using it on my face n now it's just strictly for body, eye makeup removal and as a hair treatment (I use it on dry hair, leave it on for an hour or so.Sometimes overnight, then shampoo & condition. just don't put too much in! Sometimes I use it to keep flyaways at bay, but only use a tiiiiny bit. definately no bigger than a finger nail, or else your hair will go stringy and will just look greasy. The only other downside is the jar it comes in. As I use more I can see it's going to be a problem as I get closer to the bottom. BUT definately a great product. A new staple for me. Heard so people eat some every day with some great benefits so I might look into that..
UPDATE: have started getting pimples on the back of my neck.. two are right at the hair line and I wonder if it's because of this? anyway I was using this overnight but might start to leave it on for just an hour or two on a sunday prehaps just in case. other than that, hair is still looking healthy and staying split end free atm!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/21/2008 2:32:00 PM More reviews by gingereg

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

EVCO has been one of the ONLY products that has completely gotten rid of those unsightly tiny bumps on the back of my arms. (The other product was a tube of $30 AHA body lotion that lasted less than a month.) For the price and quantity of product I will definitely stick with the EVCO. When I first got it I scooped some out with a spoon and put it in a smaller container (a small tub of some Sally Hansen foot scrub product that I had just finished off.) That was almost a year ago and I still haven't had to refill the small tub. A little bit goes a long way.
I have also used it as an eye make up removed-doesn't tug at sensitive skin and takes off my long lasting gel or creme eye liners.
I am going to try it in my hair this afternoon...we'll see how it goes...

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/9/2008 6:21:00 PM More reviews by maliastyle

I have thick, wavy Asian hair that misbehaves unless I aim a blowdryer at it and then straighten with an iron or curl with a barrel. It's rare I go without a straightener or a curling iron - I always feel like my hair is puffy and frizzy and unattractively wild. Coconut oil (I bought a massive tub of extra virgin, unrefined coconut oil from the Philippines, available at The Real Canadian Superstore's naturals/organic aisle) has enabled me to blowdry and go! I first towel dry with a microfiber towel, then blowdry. Then I take a small amount of the oil, rub it between my palms to liquefy, and then work it through the ends of my hair. Voila! Silky, bouncy hair that's not flattened by an iron or made up. At night I run a small amount through as well, and it gives my hair extra conditioning. The scent is pretty (natural toasted coconut), although it disappears within minutes. I bought my tub for about $20, but it will last me years and years. Still, cheaper versions are available out there - just make sure you buy the unrefined, extra virgin version.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/20/2008 12:46:00 AM More reviews by huka07

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Black

I use extra virgin coconut oil from whole food market. I have been using this on my oily acne prone face as night moisturizer and my skin improves drastically. I don't have pimples on my face anymore we..one or two most compared to it used to be 5-10 at one time which I thought very weird..putting oil on my oily skin = acnes.
It's been at least 4 months using this oil on my face and my face is still line free considering I will hit 31 next month..aaahhh

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/4/2008 10:25:00 AM More reviews by eiffadea

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

my mom made it for me..so i feel safe to use it anywhere i wish..but i usually use it for my hair..leave it on my hair before i shampoo it,and put on a shower cap for 2 hours and let it soak into your hair and scalp before rinsing it with water or water with a lil bit of baking soda/acv..my hair is a lot more stronger,thicker,shinier,smoother,healthy..HG!!
UPDATE:this stuff is great!!i cn see a lot baby hairs start to grow all over my head..my hair looks fuller now!!yay!!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/3/2008 12:38:00 PM More reviews by Peaches27

I bought this a few weeks ago because all that I have read on here.I bought almond oil as well. I have really only used this on my hair and body and tried the almond oil for my face- while it didn't hurt anything, I didn't really find it all that moisturizing. So, I think I may give this a try on my face but am scared because of acne issues. I have read in several places though on line that coconut oil is great for skin, and acne- though it is listed at comodegenic. So, I am just going to test it out on my chin for a few days before using all over my face.
I love how it feels on my body and makes my hair nice and soft...so hopefully I will get the same results on my face.